PDA

View Full Version : opinions? suggestions?

zwandude15
May 22, 2006, 10:32 PM
I know this is going to sound like some total teenage 'phase' but I'd appreciate it if this is taken seriously, thank you. Say something productive please, because i know some of you will put down the issue fairly quickly.

I'd like to get some real opinions/suggestions on making career choices. Like, I know I'm a teen, and I don't like school, but I like the idea of not doing it, and still being successful. Of course, I realize the chances of this happening to most people are slim to none.

Although a close friend of mine has parents who: never graduated high school, are very cool, and have made a FINE living for themselves. I'm really quite jealous.

As much as I know something like that isn't exactly the greatest way to plan out your future and wholly depend on that, it would seem like quite the life to live. In a way, I sort of want to consider it.

I mean, I'm really sort of unsure about where my future is going, as I have a career path, but no real... spark at it. If success is even remotely possible in this particular pathway, would anyone know where to start?

I'd really love to just get a place to stay. Maybe earn some money with a small job. I just want to get by really, but if I could live life at a higher standard than 'getting by' doing the same thing anyone else does, why put the extra effort in?

At this point, you might say this is bogus to even consider, but I'd love to hear ideas as to how something like this could take flight. Links to websites that offer ideas for this would be highly appreciated.

Feel free to say what you think, but try to keep out the negativity, as I realize the very thought of this isn't the slightest bit smart.

Thank you in advance.

KodiaX987
May 22, 2006, 11:03 PM
If anything, graduate from high school no matter what. Whether or not the classes were actually useful doesn't matter - as long as you've got that sheet of paper, you've just opened a load of doors to yourself, be it for a job or college. Many jobs ask for a high school diploma, or at least someone who's on his way to completing it. No high school = limited job choices. It's also somewhat harder to resume high school once you've dropped out, compared to college and university level.

College is where the more specialized jobs come in. You can either study in a per-university field (unless that was already accomplished in high school,) or embark on a technical program, which is slightly longer but gets you on the job market as soon as you come out. The collegial technical diploma grants access to jobs of a higher prestige (mainly in the fields of computing, technical engineering and some health care jobs) and are generally more "hands-on" than the university programs.

I myself did a 2-year college program in Pure Sciences, followed up with some Software Engineering in university, gave that up and returned to college to become a Computer Technician. If all goes well, I'll have my technical diploma starting next summer.

The most important thing is keep your cool. Remember that you are deciding on what you want to be, and that decision will affect the outcome of the rest of your life. I've spent an undescribable amount of money and wasted at least two years by going in something where my heart wasn't and backtracking to start over again. Wait if you have to. Should you graduate from high school but have no idea where to go next, then stop and think about it. Don't hop into the college or university program that "opens the most doors", as this is one of the best ways to commit an academic suicide. Figure out what you want first, then go for it. It'll be a whole lot easier.

Saraphim
May 22, 2006, 11:16 PM
Kodia is right, on all counts. But I should point out that the day where you can land a good job with NO college is fading fast. Hell, you have to have college just to work in a day care now.

However, you may luck out and know some one that can get you into a good job at an entry level. Sure, you won't earn as much at first without college, but you will move up and prove your self to your employer. If you want a technical or computer related career, college is the only way to go.

darthsaber9x9
May 23, 2006, 12:25 PM
How far are you through high school? It didn't know what I wanted to do until I was applying for universities (in the UK you do two more years of A levels then go to uni). So don't worry about it.

sprky585
May 23, 2006, 01:35 PM
i dont think bill gates went to college, IIRC thats what i read in a magazine

ABDUR101
May 23, 2006, 02:08 PM
I'd say finish highschool, if only for the doors it will keep open for you. After that, you can wait on or avoid college depending on what field you go into.

I dropped out and officially have an 8th grade education, I started working in nursing homes at the age of 17, as well as typing up contracts for a therapy company when they acquired new facilities and employees. After nearly six years of that, I'm on the verge of opening up a therapy company with two of my siblings who have also been in the medicare field.

It's give and take really, not everyone is as lucky, and it takes dedication to get it going.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2006-05-23 16:04 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
May 23, 2006, 04:18 PM
On 2006-05-23 11:35, sprky585 wrote:

He went to Harvard for two years and dropped out during his third year. He was a bit unique in that he was well trained in mathematics and sciences even before college.

Pillan
May 23, 2006, 04:56 PM
On 2006-05-23 14:18, Norvekh wrote:

He went to Harvard for two years and dropped out during his third year. He was a bit unique in that he was well trained in mathematics and sciences even before college.

More importantly, he had money before hand. There's no way he would have been able to pull that off otherwise. Even back then investors tended to shun college drop outs.

Anyway, my advice is go to college. There is a huge difference between college and high school, making it a much more enjoyable experience. Plus you get to choose which classes you take, so you'll mainly be learning what you love (regardless of what you want to do, there's going to be a few classes you hate).

Yes there are those who make over $100,000 without a high school degree, but the youngest of that generation are in there late 40s now. All the high paying jobs expect you to have some sort of college background now and the requirement keeps going up each day (I'm sure any of you who have thought about working at Microsoft know what I'm talking about).

So the take home message is go to college. You'll enjoy it, have time to figure out what you want to do, and make a bit more money than you would have otherwise.

Shigecki
May 23, 2006, 05:11 PM
On 2006-05-23 14:18, Norvekh wrote:

On 2006-05-23 11:35, sprky585 wrote:

He also came from a wealthy family. Not really a good choice to follow if trying to get a job w/o a college education. If your family has money, you can score a 1590 on your SATs, get accepted to Harvard, and a create Microsoft type of business, then I say try and follow that path. He did this in 1975 BTW, harder to get this type of thing done today.

The unfortunate thing in todays age is you need to have lots of luck on you side to get anywhere. A college education will help with that luck, no matter what your degree is. The ability to lift yourself up from the bootstraps is quickly going away. Hard work alone doesn't achieve much today.

I say if you don't at least get a high school diploma, learn to push a broom or work a cash register. No offense, and I'm saying this as polite as possible, this is a dead end road you are traveling down. The earlier you get all the education out of the way, the easier it is to do what you like down the road of life. Going to school won't guarantee success, but can help you make the decisions in your life yours, and not others.

navci
May 23, 2006, 05:44 PM
Finish High school.
Go ahead and work for a bit in whatever you like. In some time you might find out that you MIGHT wanna get some further education. Not necessarily collage, maybe even like Technical diplomas and such. Finishing high school and go directly into collage is usually a waste of time and resources because most of the time you really have no idea what you want to do, or going to do, or, what you are good at.

Ya. High school diploma is a minimum. Your friends parents might be able to get away with it because they did live in a different age where collage was a luxury. Finish high school. Work. Find your way from there.

zwandude15
May 23, 2006, 06:24 PM
Okay, so far I've recieved a lot of viewpoints about this, but I can clearly see that majority of you believe that finishing High School is a must. And I think even I can agree with this.

I could see how going straight into college could/would be a problem, as most people have not yet started to realize a passion in what they can do. But perhaps a break is smart, seeing as how I've yet to see what I'm really good at doing, and a lot of you reccomend it.

I also understand how college is starting to become a standard in job requirements. I can also see how being prepared for the worst is recommended in taking this sort of pathway, but I'll be prepared to face whatever it may be.

If any other info had been left out, please be sure to let me know! As I'm sure most of the members here have more life experience than myself. I appreciate all the people who read/posted here. More thoughts on the issue are welcome, as I am still curious on the subject here.

Charmander02
May 24, 2006, 03:20 PM
Might aswell just finish high school, just so when your career plans dont work out then you have something to fall back on. I mean if you've been in school that long then its waste not to finish it.

opaopajr
May 25, 2006, 02:25 AM
you are young and are expecting, like some sort of divine epiphany, that your "Career" (note capital 'C') will be bestowed upon you so soon. give yourself some time, explore, be curious, learn what your likes and dislikes are. so finish your high school, take the classes that *leave the option open* to enter college without having to take so much remedial work, and start to listen to your inner voice and find what draws you.

it's perfectly fine to not know what you want to do. in fact, there's many an adult that, after degree, career, etc., realize they are on the wrong track and change. note where your interests and hobbies lie. pay attention to what are your core values. note what skills you have -- and more important -- which ones you enjoy using most (even if they aren't your best skills). essentially, do what you are doing now, questioning, contemplating, and attempting to understand yourself.

when you feel you are ready, ask for some help from a career counselor (visit a few, some are better than others). they'll help compile your self-awareness into a portrait. and with this portrait you can see where your energies can be best applied to make a career more fulfilling than mere functional drudgery.

merrycherry9
May 25, 2006, 05:49 PM
I'm in the same boat. . . I still have no idea wht i want to do and im in highschool. im sorry i cant give u any information but i just wanted to let u know tht its ok not to know wht u want to do. . . my brother is in college and he still doesnt know wht to do. I wish u good luck!