PDA

View Full Version : Renvolt Magashi

BrianSommer
May 23, 2006, 01:39 AM
Greetings Everyone,

By way of introduction, my name is Brian Sommer. I am the Voiceover Actor that played the English version of Renvolt Magashi. I was hoping you fine folks could help me out with some information...

I know the game has yet to be released (as Iam sure you are all PAINFULLY aware), but I was wondering if anyone knows of any english dubbed previews or trailers, specifically with Renvolt in them. I only know of the main website and that of course is still only in Japanesse. Is there going to be an english version website launched? If not, do you know were I might see some of the english work?

I learned long ago, "If you want to find out about something....go to the FANS". Thanks in advance for any information. Iam reallly dying to see how Renvolt turned out. He was a wonderfully evil character to play.

All my best

Brian Sommer

VioletSkye
May 23, 2006, 01:59 AM
Welcome to PSOW http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Thus far I have not seen (nor heard) a video with the English voice for Renvolt. BTW, do you plan on playing the game also lol.

zandra117
May 23, 2006, 06:18 AM
Does Renvolt have any lines like "I have orders to kill you... Let me eat your soul!!!"?

Pillan
May 23, 2006, 07:05 AM
On 2006-05-22 23:39, BrianSommer wrote:
I learned long ago, "If you want to find out about something....go to the FANS".

That is the single smartest thing I've heard anybody say EVER...

CherryLunar
May 23, 2006, 08:08 AM
Welcome Brian,

I haven't heard any news or have yet to seen anything about an English trailer. Sadly. I've been anxiously awaiting the english trailers. I want to hear the english voice overs. XD

Nisshoku
May 23, 2006, 09:45 AM
Wow...

All I can say that this is pretty neat, one of the voice actor's for PSU actually finding us. Not only that, but the main villain of the story as well.

As of yet, the only US voices I've heard are those on the Gamespot site. Personally, I'd love to see Sega of America get a jump on some more teasers for those awaiting the North American release.

Naturally, I also have a few questions to ask you myself. I hope you don't mind me, as I'm just normally inquisitive.

First off as a voice actor, were you hired seperately, or is there a certain company doing all the voice acting for the English Version? And if so, do you know the other voice actors, as well as the parts they play?

Secondly, with some voice acting, you get to see some of the videos in order to help capture the mood and character. Have you indeed seen those, and is all the voice work complete for the North American version?

Finally, with all the voice acting work on this project, do you plan on playing the game itself upon release? And how does it feel for you to be in some way, associated with a series with such a history to it?

Here's hoping awaiting your response, from hopefully one of your biggest fans to come.

zandra117
May 23, 2006, 10:41 AM
Is all the english dubbing with the game done? If so, we might be seeing an earlier release.

RoninJoku
May 23, 2006, 10:43 AM
EH? Where's Tomeeboy... We need an indepth interview!

To answer your question... Nopers, no english voice acting videos released with Renvolt in them that we crazy fans are aware of... We will certainly be all over it when it surfaces though...

Hmm... But me finds this turn-of-events a bit unusual to say the least...

Tystys
May 23, 2006, 11:54 AM
On 2006-05-23 08:43, RurouniJoku wrote:
EH? Where's Tomeeboy... We need an indepth interview!

To answer your question... Nopers, no english voice acting videos released with Renvolt in them that we crazy fans are aware of... We will certainly be all over it when it surfaces though...

Hmm... But me finds this turn-of-events a bit unusual to say the least...

Don't hassle the man! He'll give us a interview if he feels like it! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.
But that would be cool.

ONTOPIC:
Unfortunately, we have seen no trailers with Renvolt's voice in them yet.

Fleece
May 23, 2006, 01:24 PM
Hmmmm Cools for finding us. *wonders who all the other english voice actors are*

No Sega of america is pretty rubbish at marketing. Also itd be nice to see you in game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Tomeeboy
May 23, 2006, 02:06 PM
I have a video with english voiceover from Magashi, though I think it's only one line and fairly hard to hear. Was planning to post it today along with some other ones http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Tystys
May 23, 2006, 02:48 PM
On 2006-05-23 12:06, Tomeeboy wrote:
I have a video with english voiceover from Magashi, though I think it's only one line and fairly hard to hear. Was planning to post it today along with some other ones http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Yeah, we need some E3 vids! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

EspioKaos
May 23, 2006, 03:02 PM
According to Brian's site (http://www.briansommer.com/credits.html), he also supplied the voices for a security guard as well as the train master. (I assume it's supposed to be "train master," as in the Linear Line schedule announcer or something, and not "trian master" as it's typed on the site. Probably just a typo, but correct me if I'm mistaken, Brian.) Anyway, I'd love to see that video, Tomee, and any others you've got from E3. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Parn
May 23, 2006, 03:33 PM
Wheeeeeeee, professional voice talent for the game. That rocks.

Cheers to you, Mr. Sommers. Looking forward to hearing your performance.

Skye-Fox713
May 23, 2006, 04:05 PM
indeed

Saner
May 23, 2006, 04:14 PM
aaaah maybe this is a sign of a surprise release date! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Ha! and some people wanted a open beta instead! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Fleece
May 23, 2006, 04:16 PM
Hopes He used the comcast(Real Deal) voice for Renvolt, Lol.

Big scary robot selling me Broadband Internet.

Can't wait to hear Renvolt's voice.

BrianSommer
May 23, 2006, 04:22 PM
WOW!! Your guys are quite prolific! I posted my silly little question last night before I went to bed, and when I checked it this afternoon....WOW!! Thanks for the response. Too bad there arent any trailers or previews available just yet. But I certainly appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

I dont mind answering your questions. After all, ultimately I work for YOU. Yes, its true, first I have to please the casting director, producer, director, writer and anyone else at the session, but you folks are the audience. And if YOU dont like it, I dont get called back.

Obviously due to Non-disclosure contracts and just good business courtesy, I cant get too in-depth with my answers. Frankly I simply dont know most of the answers you would be looking for anyway (Iam just the guy they lock away in the sound proof booth). But Iam happy to address what I can.....Lets see if I can catch up...

****Thus far I have not seen (nor heard) a video with the English voice for Renvolt. BTW, do you plan on playing the game also lol. ******

Ok, here it comes.....Iam actually not much of a gamer. (you may begin throwing rotten tomatoes and cabbage now). Its not that I dont enjoy it, its just that Ive never really sat down and tried it. So shame on me.

****Does Renvolt have any lines like "I have orders to kill you... Let me eat your soul!!!"? ****

I think if I disclosed any of Renvolts lines here, I would be selling shoes for the rest of my life, if ya get what I mean. But he does have some great lines in the game. That is why Iam following his development. Hes one of my favorite characters and I want to see how he came out. Lots of people are responsible for how wonderful he will be. I dont think you will be disappointed. I can remember saying..."Ohhh thats nice!" after delivering a few of his lines.

****First off as a voice actor, were you hired seperately, or is there a certain company doing all the voice acting for the English Version? And if so, do you know the other voice actors, as well as the parts they play? *****

Alomst all voiceover is done in the same way. A client will put out auditions to the talent agencies. Those agencies will bring in those of their "stable" that might fit the bill and have them record auditions. Those auditions are then sent back to the client who makes the decision as to who they want. Then a session is booked and the lines are recorded. On occasion, there will be a "direct booking". When an actor becomes established with a client, the client will simply ask for that actor to do the performance, instead of auditioning . I do know some of the other voice actors in the game, but I would hesitate to list their names here without consulting them first. One of the wonderful things about voiceover is the annonimity.

****Secondly, with some voice acting, you get to see some of the videos in order to help capture the mood and character. Have you indeed seen those, and is all the voice work complete for the North American version? *****

If I remember correctly there were two sessions for the Renvolt character. One was the game play dialog and the other was for the cinematic portion. The cinematic was an ADR session (automatic dialog replacement). So, yes, there was alot of the animation availble at the session to sync to. Renvolt was recored in Aug of '05, so I would assume all the dialog is now completed.

****how does it feel for you to be in some way, associated with a series with such a history to it? ****

When ever I book a job, I always do some research on the game and character. I was floored by all the sites and fans for this franchise. So for that reason, I really want him to turn out well. Besides, hes a real nasty guy, and I love playing them.

****According to Brian's site, he also supplied the voices for a security guard as well as the train master. (I assume it's supposed to be "train master,"****

Wow, you guys have even found my website. Your too much. Yes you are absolutely correct. That additonal character I did is a TRAIN master. He is sort of an automated master controler of the train.

I hope that answers some of the questions you had up to this point. Thanks again for your response. Enjoy the game!

Brian

Fleece
May 23, 2006, 04:35 PM
Nice One Buddy, I look forward to seeing your work http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

justinbrady
May 23, 2006, 04:39 PM
its awesome to have you on PSOW =]

Nuclearranger
May 23, 2006, 04:46 PM
I think i speak for everyone here at PSO-W when i say Thank you for stoping in n.n

Dhylec
May 23, 2006, 04:59 PM
Welcome Brian.
Hey, quite nice of you to fill in some info & relief the memebrs & fans' curiousity of the incoming PSU. ;]

Kamica
May 23, 2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks for being as helpful as you could Brian. You are really getting me excited to hear Renvolt's voice and now I cant wait to hear it!

I think that you should start playing video games. Make Phantasy Star Universe be one of your first games. It would be fun to play with you. I am sure you would be a great player.

CherryLunar
May 23, 2006, 06:48 PM
On 2006-05-23 15:08, Kamica wrote:
Thanks for being as helpful as you could Brian. You are really getting me excited to hear Renvolt's voice and now I cant wait to hear it!

I think that you should start playing video games. Make Phantasy Star Universe be one of your first games. It would be fun to play with you. I am sure you would be a great player.

Yeah! What he said. XD

Thanks. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

RoninJoku
May 23, 2006, 07:12 PM
Grahaha! Un-moose-takeable! That commercial was hilarious http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Can't wait to hear what Magashi sounds like http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif And thanks for stopping by! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Ryna
May 23, 2006, 07:18 PM
On 2006-05-22 23:39, BrianSommer wrote:
I know the game has yet to be released (as Iam sure you are all PAINFULLY aware), but I was wondering if anyone knows of any english dubbed previews or trailers, specifically with Renvolt in them. I only know of the main website and that of course is still only in Japanesse. Is there going to be an english version website launched? If not, do you know were I might see some of the english work?

While Tomeeboy was at E3 interviewing Takao Miyoshi, he was able to get record some video of a PSU trailer featuring most of the English voice actors. It includes a couple of lines by Renvolt Magashi. Since he shot it in the middle of the convention, the sound quality isn't the greatest, but people can get a good idea of what the voice will be like.

As for the official English website, it hasn't been published yet. If you want to see English clips from E3, we'll be putting up some videos very soon (hopefully). Also, you can view some clips at Gamespot UK:

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/phantasystariv/media.html

and

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/phantasystariv/media.html

All my best

Brian Sommer

Thanks for visiting the site and answering questions!

Speaking of which, would it be possible for you to answer the following?

While you were recording your lines for Magashi, did you have to time your lines to match up with original mouth flaps or were the mouth flaps adjusted to fit you? I know what when anime is being dubbed, the writers and voice actors have to be careful about matching the VA's voice to the character's mouth. So I was wondering if the same applied to this situation.

Did you have the chance to interact with any of the other voice actors while recording your lines or did you record your lines alone?

Do you know if the VA list for the English version of the game has been released? After seeing the recent English clips, I became interested in seeing who was providing the voices.

In the Japanese version of the game, Norio Wakamoto voices Renvolt Magashi. He has provided the voice for several bad guys, including Cell from Dragonball Z. Were you influenced at all by his performance while recording your lines for Magashi?

Do you primarily work in the San Francisco area? Looking over your credit list, it seems you have provided voice-overs for several companies that are located in that area.

Was this your first opportunity to play the "lead bad guy" in a video game? Based on your previous responses, it seems you enjoyed the experience.

Speaking as Magashi, what is your opinion of Ethan Waber? Is he just a young-upstart with a bad haircut?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-05-23 19:20 ]</font>

shinobu_seta
May 23, 2006, 09:06 PM
On 2006-05-23 15:08, Kamica wrote:

Now that really would be something else. You'd be playing with THE actual Renvolt.

Thank you for sharing with us Brian, I'm looking forward to hearing your work ^_^

Fleece
May 23, 2006, 09:48 PM
I think if he does play sega should allow him to use the renvolt Model LOL it would rock on VOIP/Xbox Live.

Numnuttz
May 24, 2006, 01:55 AM
lol that be interesting to see. i bet people would assume him to be a hacker if he did.

BrianSommer
May 24, 2006, 03:27 AM
did you have to time your lines to match up with original mouth flaps

Yes, whenever a project is origianlly recorded in one language and then is dubbed to another, the actor has to deliver the lines in the same cadence and timing of the original to match the movement of the mouth. We even had to change some of the wording when the english lines were too long or too short.

Did you have the chance to interact with any of the other voice actors while recording your lines or did you record your lines alone?

Most game dialog recording is done solo. Occasionally the director will feed you the line preceeding yours to get the flavor of the scene. Usually Iam just told what Iam reacting to before I read each line. The BIG hollywood folks that do animation are usually recorded solo as well (mostly due to scheduling constraints), but the hard working professional animation folks that do TV shows and the like, generally record as a group. Its much easier to play off of each other that way.

[quote]In the Japanese version of the game, Norio Wakamoto voices Renvolt Magashi. He has provided the voice for several bad guys, including Cell from Dragonball Z. Were you influenced at all by his performance [quote]

I did not know of Mr. Wakamoto before I recorded this game, but since then I have researched his resume' and he has indeed done some wonderful work. I didnt have any influences for the voice, other than the direction from the production team. I knew renvolt was older (65 years ?), so we gave a little bit of texture to his voice, but not so much as to make him sound weak. Infact he has quite a "growl" to him.

***Do you primarily work in the San Francisco area?***

Yes, the sessions were done at a well known gaming studio in the south bay of the San Francisco Bay Area. I have worked there many times. Some very talented folks.

****Was this your first opportunity to play the "lead bad guy" in a video game?**

I have done several games, and it seems I always end up as one of the "Heavys". I really enjoy them, They always have the best lines. But Renvolt was definitely one of my favorites. ( you can see the credit list on my website)

***Speaking as Magashi, what is your opinion of Ethan Waber? Is he just a young-upstart with a bad haircut?****

That is so funny you should ask that. The actor that played Ethan and I have worked together on other projects. It seems like he is always playing the young good looking hero. While Iam the mis-shapen insane villain. (he actaully kind of looks like Ethan!). But I remember that his session for Ethan was right after mine. I was walking down the stairs from the studio as he was walking up to begin his session. Now that I knew what a bad ass Renvolt was, I said to him..."Dude, Iam gonna kick your ass in this one!"

Thanks for the questions

Brian

Latiku
May 24, 2006, 03:54 AM
Allow me to just say that you, Brian, are made of awesome. You answered our questions to the best of your ability and were quite in-depth to boot. Like the 8 other people before me, thank you and I look forward to your performance.

Also, might I just add that your passion for voice acting really comes out in your post. I am glad that someone such as you, with such enthusiasm and love for his profession, was chosen to work on this game. I wish you nothing but the best. Thanks again.

physic
May 24, 2006, 04:38 AM
interesting to note they apparently had the VA finished in time for their original release date. So i guess the networking and promotional descions are the main things holding up the game. PR being the big thing for NA

Fleece
May 24, 2006, 05:26 AM
Shame that Bad Guys always have to die in the end... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Ryna
May 24, 2006, 07:15 AM
Thank you for answering those questions Brian. I was definitely interested in learning more about how a typical video game dubbing session went. Based on your answers, I can see it is fairly similar to anime dubbing.

Even though the official version hasn't been put up yet, several people from the community have worked to translate the material on the Japanese website. You can see some of them here:

Offline Story Characters:
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2373

Background Information (Back Story, Race Information, etc...):
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2412

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Renvolt Magashi in action and how the Guardian/Endrum Collective battle will play out.

Tystys
May 24, 2006, 09:38 AM
I'm so excited for that huge battle between Hyuga/Ethan VS Renvolt....
I saw a clip of that in one of the trailers....
You sound bad ass, Brian...thank you for answering our questions!

Tycho
May 24, 2006, 04:03 PM
Wow.. I'm looking forward to hearing your voice-overs. I think that for a lot of people, having seen you over here would make seeing the character you voiced in-game a lot more interesting.
Good luck on your job! ^ ^;

Saner
May 24, 2006, 04:24 PM
On 2006-05-24 07:38, Tystys wrote:
I'm so excited for that huge battle between Hyuga/Ethan VS Renvolt....
I saw a clip of that in one of the trailers....
You sound bad ass, Brian...thank you for answering our questions!

Don't you mean Tylor and Ethan vs. Renvolt? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

justinbrady
May 24, 2006, 04:34 PM
hehe =]

Shivore
May 24, 2006, 07:15 PM
The Character Showcase movies on the main page features Renvolt some, but good luck hearing him over the background noise.

Axios-
May 24, 2006, 07:18 PM
Yeah, it is a bit difficult to hear all the voices, but I have to say that Renvolt Magashi's voice is the best one there. Good job!

Tystys
May 24, 2006, 08:00 PM
Stupid background music...

RoninJoku
May 24, 2006, 10:34 PM
Yea, I second that Renvolt was by far the best one we heard in the trailer... And I'm really not just brown-nosing! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif It sounds great! I definitely like it more than the Japanese version-His JP voice is waaay too steriotypical imo...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2006-05-24 20:38 ]</font>

Axios-
May 24, 2006, 10:38 PM
It's most likely becuase he's the only one who doesn't have a regular voice. Some of the other casts have a little bit of a tweak, but none to same degree as Renvolt's. It's nice to see some creativity in a voice.

Oh, and to be clear, all the other voices are really good too.

Kyuu
May 25, 2006, 12:23 AM
Aye, from what little I could hear over the background noise in that video Tomee posted, I have to say great work on Megashi's voice Brian.

Thanks for stopping by, and drop us a line now and then. Especially if you decide to pick up PSU and give it a go! =P

mechatra
May 25, 2006, 02:35 AM
Hey Brian. After watching the new character dialogue video posted up from E306 I just wanted to say:

A damn good job well done!
I completely see what you were talking about with Renvolts slightly aged "growl" in his voice. You've given him some fantastic character.

Top notch! ^_^

ShadowDragon28
May 25, 2006, 03:07 AM
Brian, very very excellent voice acting performance.

Fleece
May 25, 2006, 03:57 AM
If i could be bothered i could probably eliminate the background audio from those videos, i guess im just a lazy f*ck though LMAO. 3 years at college studying media and editing to not be bothered LOL

Also

"Sams gonna show us how its done." That line will be stuck in my head for days, wouldve been better had he died LOL.

Tycho
May 25, 2006, 04:03 AM
Whoa. Nice job! ^ ^;

BrianSommer
May 25, 2006, 09:48 AM
WOW!! Thank you Tomee for posting those trailers and giving me a sneak peek at a voice I havent heard in almost a year! He sounds pretty good. But Iam always hyper-critical of my work (I always just hear ME).

The line during the fight scene made me chuckle. Renvolt is busy fighting the other character and then Ethan decides to get involved. Renvolt says, "You again!" (read: Gaaaawd you're annoying). He says it with such disdain for pretty boy Ethan. That is why the bad guys are such fun to play.

And a very big thank you to all of you for such a warm welcome to your corner of the world. The comments have been most kind, and appreciated. I dont know what other games may be on your list, but chances are you will be hearing me again. I hope those performances are up to par as well.

Enjoy

Brian

Zarbolord
May 25, 2006, 12:35 PM
What games? I'm interested! I'm one of your fans now dude! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
The voice is excellent! It fits him perfectly! As an actor I know what I'm saying! (I'm not famous so don't try to find my name some where, lol). That background growly sensation of the voice and the sintonisation of expressions with the fast and determined humour of the bad guy all implement in him a wonderful characterisation of evil. I congratulate you!

Oh and Skye-Fox713, do you say anything than "indeed"? This is like the 5th time I see you writting that...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zarbolord on 2006-05-25 10:43 ]</font>

Fleece
May 25, 2006, 03:56 PM
On 2006-05-25 07:48, BrianSommer wrote:

I dont know what other games may be on your list, but chances are you will be hearing me again. I hope those performances are up to par as well.

Enjoy

Brian

ooOOOOOooo maybe old renvolt doesnt die http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

BrianSommer
May 25, 2006, 05:22 PM
ooOOOOOooo maybe old renvolt doesnt die

Oops! I may have mislead you with my comment. I was actaully saying that chances are you will hear me again in a different game, as most of my VO work lately are games. I have NO information, I repeat NO information on Renvolt being reprised. (although if he does somehow survive your onslought I wouldnt mind voicing him again. Hello? anyone from Sega listening?)

[quote]What games? I'm interested![quote]

There have been a few, so the best way to check, is to look at the "credits" page of my website. I will have to get busy and have my web guy update it.

Brian

BrianSommer
May 25, 2006, 05:29 PM
OK, I just took a look at the credits list myself (havent seen it in awhile), and the way everything is listed, its not that easy to pick out the video games from all the other stuff. So here is a partial list: (some have not yet been released)

Americas Army: Rise of a Soldier
Bone: "Out of Boneville"
Chrome Hounds
Armored Core: Last Raven
Mage Knights: Apocolyps
Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends
Hellgate:London
Bone: "The Great Cow Race"
Rainy Woods
Death Jr: 2

All were great fun.

Brian

jkrox4eva
May 25, 2006, 05:34 PM
Wow i must say u are very, very, responsible. lol i would get caught up in sumthing if i were a VA... especially for all those games, plus you also have soo many more commercials and stuff. thats just crazy dude. and thank you for being the VA on psu. nobody could have done better.

zandra117
May 25, 2006, 05:54 PM
On 2006-05-25 15:22, BrianSommer wrote:
[quote]ooOOOOOooo maybe old renvolt doesnt die

Oops! I may have mislead you with my comment. I was actaully saying that chances are you will hear me again in a different game, as most of my VO work lately are games. I have NO information, I repeat NO information on Renvolt being reprised. (although if he does somehow survive your onslought I wouldnt mind voicing him again. Hello? anyone from Sega listening?)

What games? I'm interested![quote]

There have been a few, so the best way to check, is to look at the "credits" page of my website. I will have to get busy and have my web guy update it.

Brian

Well, Renvolt is an android, If you end up killing him in the game he can be rebuilt to appear in a sequal.

TheStoicOne
May 25, 2006, 06:28 PM
The life of an actor...huuuuhhhh. I love it! This just makes me want to continue to act. And I doubt that Brian will have the time to sit down and really get into the game, because (by looking at his credits) he's definitely gonna be busy.

Now to you Brian:
Wow you have some major experience in the acting field, I find that rather inspiring, thanks for dropping in (wow am I glad I signed in today) I'm gonna PM you!!!

Roffkaiser
May 25, 2006, 07:12 PM
Chromehounds and Last Raven, two great games(i am guessing with chromehounds but i will find out when it comes out in a month) hope i can pick out your voice in Chromehounds. Keep up the good work!

justinbrady
May 25, 2006, 08:09 PM
ya..brian i watched the english trailer. =] awesome work...i also recognized u from some of ur previous work as well. i know you jsut took the job...but by contacting the PSOW fans u gave a lot of us a happy feeling when we were finnaly shown some proof of a fall us release =].

Nisshoku
May 25, 2006, 08:16 PM
Brian, you've done justice to an awesome villain.

Ifrian
May 25, 2006, 11:18 PM
The voices i liked ( by the order of preference ):

Dr.Dorson ( I loved this one, for that character)
Renvolt Magashi ( loved the growly voice )
Karen Erra (pretty sweet voice)
Fullyen Curtz (nice voice for that cast)

The voices i did not like :

The vol brother hiru ( the one with the heart like hair)

Ethan waber : im sorry , it just doesent sounds right for him)

Tonnio Rhima ( it did sound kinda weird to me)

The voice i really hated:
Ohbel Dallgun ( i do see the character , and then listen to english voice , idk , its totally out of place, i see his expression and then his voice and i really feel weird about it , i really hated it for that character)

Congratulations for your work .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ifrian on 2006-05-25 21:20 ]</font>

AzureBlaze
May 26, 2006, 01:18 AM
As this is PSOWs first visit by an actual person involved in the creation of any PSO or PSU game...

Why?
It is great that this site was discovered by an actual actor, and has proved mutually fun and beneficial to everyone. No other pso/u related site I know of was ever visited by a real contributor to the series.

But it raises questions onto everyone else other than Brian.

-Do the other actors just not care that much?
I realize that I am hardcore...but I know that if I was involved in something that I'd look into it as Brian has already done and had fun with. It can only benefit, as I see it. However, I'm not in acting so maybe it is highly unusual for someone to care as much.

-Does sega of America just not care that much?
PSOW isn't hard to find, and it's also easy to see it's the largest community out there with the most resources at its disposal. It's also obvious from the number of unique visits/reg'd members that PSOW commands a large part of their fanbase=money givers. It is also home to competent people (tomeeboy and his interviews etc) who are really up on the news front...and responsible with it! Why not drop us a line? It doesn't make sense not to.

-What about SOJ?
We know they care about the fans...their own fans. But as we are curious about them, it seems highly unlikely that they should not be curious about us--to some degree. Do they remain silent thinking they can't speak? (With JP skools teaching eng, their eng is probably better than some random person's JP on here, they should be somewhat understandable...)

Still, it is good that someone has found us, and bothered to write in! This is a great post, I am glad you found it as well, and thanks. A positive experience all around could encourage others, too. Who knows what the future holds, well, aside from another few months of psu-less-ness.

Tycho
May 26, 2006, 02:16 AM
On 2006-05-25 23:18, AzureBlaze wrote:
I think that for most professional voice actors, playing all of the games they acted in would eat up a lot of their time... especially regarding online games.

-What about SOJ?
I think it would make sense for Sonic Team to mostly stick with their submission forms to gather the necessary information regarding suggestions. But besides that, though I'm not entirely sure, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them did visit PSOW every now and then. There wouldn't be much of a use for them in publicly declaring their affiliation with the company though.
As for the Japanese... in general, unless they actively tried not to, they just suck at English, really. Someone like me wouldn't be able to get away with not knowing the lingua franca of the internet, but for them it it's fine actually, since most of the information they could want is available in Japanese anyway.

Tystys
May 26, 2006, 07:07 AM
On 2006-05-26 00:16, Tycho wrote:

On 2006-05-25 23:18, AzureBlaze wrote:
I think that for most professional voice actors, playing all of the games they acted in would eat up a lot of their time... especially regarding online games.

-What about SOJ?
I think it would make sense for Sonic Team to mostly stick with their submission forms to gather the necessary information regarding suggestions. But besides that, though I'm not entirely sure, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them did visit PSOW every now and then. There wouldn't be much of a use for them in publicly declaring their affiliation with the company though.
As for the Japanese... in general, unless they actively tried not to, they just suck at English, really. Someone like me wouldn't be able to get away with not knowing the lingua franca of the internet, but for them it it's fine actually, since most of the information they could want is available in Japanese anyway.

I feel left out, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif....I hope that SOA really did care as much as SOJ.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tystys on 2006-05-26 05:08 ]</font>

BrianSommer
May 26, 2006, 03:17 PM
[quote]-Do the other actors just not care that much?[quote]

I think the vast majority of the Voiceover Actors do care about their performances. If they did not, they wouldnt be working in the biz for very long. If you go in and give a half-ass read, they aren't going to call you back.

One thing you have to remember is how the whole process works. If I can use an analogy, VAs are like independant contractors on a house build. Lets say we are the electricians. Many folks are involved in building the perticular house. Carpenters, plumbers, painters etc (Artists, writers, Directors etc). But when they need the wiring done, they call an electrician. We come in, do the job, and then "move on to the next house". Its not really the same as a movie actor, who is more intensely associated with the project (house) all the way through. They may be called upon to work on the film's promotion. Its not that the VAs dont care about the project, we are just not a "visible" as 'traditional actors'. Our projects are released sometimes a year after our performance (in the case of games) and up to three years (in the case of animation).

I have never done, nor do I have intrest in on-camera work. I like the annonimity of being a voiceover actor. But I always remember that the customer (the audience) is who I ultimately work for. So on occasion, I will go back to that 'house' and ask the people who are LIVING in it, how they like the wiring.

Here's hoping the game doesn't blow any fuses.

Brian

ShadowDragon28
May 26, 2006, 04:15 PM
The only "fuses" blown are in the audio sense, from what little bit I've heard; your voice perfromance as Renvolt Migashi is *awesome*.

Axios-
May 26, 2006, 04:47 PM
I'd be scared if someone came by and asked if I liked my wiring.

>_> <_<

What?

Fleece
May 27, 2006, 07:35 AM
* Knocks on door*

HEY!!!! You like you wiring???

*fizzle fizzle BANG!!!!!!*

yeah its reight mate http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Saner
May 28, 2006, 04:13 PM
well ya that sounds very interesting!

I remember in an interview, the Lunar Eternal Blue remake hero voice actor got the job when he met and talked to the voice actor who did the hero of Lunar Silver Star Story remake. that was a amazing coincedence!