PDA

View Full Version : CBT'ers... Why do PSU's HUnewearls suck?

zofia
May 23, 2006, 03:04 PM
I keep hearing that HUnewearls are not very good in PSU. Why is it?

The basics I've read are that because they can't use any of their techs when they are in HU job, they're basically just gimp since without their tech's they're inferior to other races. Is that the gist of the problem?

Do you think that there's a chance in PSU that job skills might, eventually, cross over a bit after a certain point, so that (long haul) HUnewearls could be good? Or, are they pretty much doomed in your opinion?

Just wondering. Thanks in advance to any beta testers that clear this up.

I'll be playing one no matter what, and if there is a way to make HUnewearl shine in PSU, I will find it. But, I'd like to know what people think who have actually played as one in PSU (or played with them in their teams).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zofia on 2006-05-23 13:05 ]</font>

justinbrady
May 23, 2006, 03:25 PM
try reading the info about class's and job's on this site. i am pretty sure they did away with all the HUnewwearls and stuff like that...

zofia
May 23, 2006, 03:44 PM
No... if you play as a Newearl and she is in the HU job, then at that time she can be said to be a HUnewearl.

I did read what this site says, but its very basic stuff. I am asking for input from CBT'ers.

justinbrady
May 23, 2006, 03:46 PM
oh sorry

zofia
May 23, 2006, 03:47 PM
No need to apologize! I'm just wonderin'...

_Tek_
May 23, 2006, 04:02 PM
I still chose the female newman simply because of most mst, and she'll probably be a force.

but then you could switch jobs just for fun any time, that's what gives it a little more freedom.

Saner
May 23, 2006, 04:05 PM
Think of it as a challenging class/race/gender combination. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Just because it's not the one of the 'best' combinations, doesn't mean it's impossible to even solo as one all the way.

mechatra
May 23, 2006, 04:07 PM
Exactly.

Newmans may have the lowest ATP and HP, but don't forget you'll probably be hitting things more than Beast and Human hunters.

physic
May 23, 2006, 04:34 PM
I think that throughout teh games, with certain items they may be good. but thats just opinion and hearsay, at this point they basically seem to have no advantage to other hu classes. CAst hits more and stronger with more hp. beast stronger with more hp and defense. ( going from teh beta) that said, no job is actually criminally weak from what beta ers said, seems just being teh job will have a big effect on what you can do.

Pillan
May 23, 2006, 04:39 PM
I'm guessing we're still missing a lot of information. Sonic Team would never make the previous game's star character class entirely useless...

She'll probably become more useful as we find out about things that didn't appear in the beta (i.e., as your job level increases, you can equip canes, or you may find rare sabers that allow you to equip a single technique rather than a photon art).

Note that all of that was made up, but it does sound like something Sonic Team would do.

Or you can go with the challenging character class theory. They do have the highest EVP and MST as far as hunters, so they'll eventually receive the least damage (until you get to the godly accurate bosses).

DizzyDi
May 23, 2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah I'm thinking that later on down the HU/RA line you'll be able to use Technics, but of yourself it won't be anything compared to a FO.
And vice versa, FOs will probably be able to up thier Photon Arts a lil, but nothing compared to a HU.

kazuma56
May 23, 2006, 04:48 PM
The way I see it, its sort of like a Tarutaru warrior in FFXI, they have good magical strength, mediocre attack but you still see people going war/nin with them.

I think that maybe it may just balance out in the end (if class raising does turnout to be pointless), their MST may help them pull off more weapon skills compared to other classes (if based off of TP).

Lyrise
May 23, 2006, 07:52 PM
If you're planning on soling areas and missions as one, prepare for a world of pain, or overlevelling. Newman Hunters are more of a party oriented class, mainly one with a force. Low damage, and no ability to use techniques is what hurts this combination the most in solo. However, what causes it to excel at partying is the fairly good accuracy and extremely high evasion. I played as one, and this is my observation.

For example, in a good party, their main job is to run interference for the force characters, who will get beaten up fast if you let the situation become a big mess at higher ranking areas. They'll do it a lot better than the other classes mainly because of the evasion and the hit. Miss an attack, and you'll still distract the opposition even longer due to block recoil. Other classes will most likely take the hit; sure they can tank, but you don't want to have to be casting resta so much that it detracts much PP from a Force's weapons. Not to mention unless that resta is high level, the force would have to run to the hunter, and basically put themselves on the line (pitifully low HP). Of course this situation is assuming you want a GOOD ranking. If you couldn't care any less about it, disregard the above.

I'm also just presenting the above as an example given that even at higher levels, unless you're made of meseta, you're probably not going to buy a full stack of trimate (2500 x 20 = 50000 meseta, lotta money there). I'm also extrapolating some ideas given that what I played was a beta, but a lot of educated guesses can be made as well as to what the full version is going to do.

PJ
May 23, 2006, 08:38 PM
It's the same reason people melee as FOnewearls XD

I know it's not important, but why do people keep referring to them as Newearls? I dunno, it just kinda bugged me, that HUnewman would be more accurate.

Kyuu
May 23, 2006, 08:42 PM
It's just old habit from PSO, since there were no male newman hunters, so everyone got used to saying HUnewearl. And anyways, it sounds better than HUnewm. =P

_Tek_
May 23, 2006, 09:05 PM
Plus there's alot of team work's in the gameplay. Your character doesn't have to be fully independent in all situations. If your stats lack you can rely on the stronger team guys. As long as the overall team strength is good enough.

SirenV
May 24, 2006, 02:14 AM
Maybe they just found the game to be too easy with all those Restas flying around, I don't know. The elimination of TP seems to be a big factor here.

I'm a bit miffed, I loved the HUnewearl becuase of being able to be in the fray and support at the same time. Not the strongest, but this mix made them invaluable even in the older games ( Nei/Rika, and even Mieu - although a cyborg played similarly) I would hope that they wouldn't scrap this now just becuase they want to slam the Races and Classes into very specific niches. So I hope they'd have to allow techniques (at higher levels as some have said), or some type of advantage for Numan hunters. For a game that seems to focus alot on balance, this is a bit of a conundrum, but. I guess there's something to be said for them being a backup party fighter - administering decent more accurate hits to keep the enemy phased - and blocking alot. This also makes more sense with the "online" mode being online only, and the increased party. Although a cast would make a more ideal choice as some have said. But anyway, here's to hoping!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SirenV on 2006-05-24 00:16 ]</font>

Skorpius
May 24, 2006, 04:51 AM
The basic idea is that Female Newman Hunters would have quite a bit of Magic (being Female and Newman) but the Beta did not have any Technics that Hunters could use. The theory is that there will never be any Technic for Hunters (or Rangers) making a "HUnewearl" not as good as its PSO counterpart.

Pillan
May 24, 2006, 07:39 AM
Positives:

High magic resistance, high evasion, and good accuracy.

Negatives:

Low HP, low defense, and low attack.

Sounds pretty balanced the way it is. I guess techniques really aren't that necessary to make Newman hunters a fun class.

physic
May 24, 2006, 08:00 AM
the problem is evasion, in an action game, while useful, skill can make up for. and their ata isnt much better than humans, in fact it may not eb better at all. id have to check to make sure. but they take substantial hit in hp and ATP. without some form of magic coming into play they will at the least be slightly weak compared to others and at worst weaksauce.

zofia
May 24, 2006, 08:48 AM
Thank-you for all the replies.

Those of you who pointed out it may just end up being a more challenging road: if so, I'm up for it. Of course, as Tek points out, we can always switch jobs, so its not like anyone will be 'stuck' playing HU as a Numan. And the beta was limited. Who knows what will open in the game as we are able to really get into it.

Lyrise, thanks for the detailed description of your time as Numan HU in the beta. That was cool how you described your tactics. It almost has a 'fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee' feel to it. That's actually kind of cool. To answer your question: I will most certainly be playing in teams, as often as possible. To me, that's the biggest fun of PSO and, I hope, it will be part of the main fun of PSU: team play.

SirenV: I tend to agree that resta makes PSO too easy. All you have to do is make a non-tweaked 'cast and take on De Rol Le normal to figure that out (and w/o using the 'drop stacks of mates and then die once' trick).

Well, I will definitely be playing a 'Newearl (or, if that term grates: female Numan, but 'newearl has a nice ring to it, don't you think?). And I will work on all the jobs, I am sure. Who knows, I may end up more of a FO or a RA, but I have to believe there is a way we'll be able to make HU work well, at least in teams. Like Tek said: "Plus there's alot of team work's in the gameplay. Your character doesn't have to be fully independent in all situations."... and that's a good point. My goal is not to solo or be able to solo. I pretty much want to be in teams all the time. That's more fun to me.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Nice board.

Lyrise
May 24, 2006, 09:55 AM
On 2006-05-24 06:00, physic wrote:
the problem is evasion, in an action game, while useful, skill can make up for. and their ata isnt much better than humans, in fact it may not eb better at all. id have to check to make sure. but they take substantial hit in hp and ATP. without some form of magic coming into play they will at the least be slightly weak compared to others and at worst weaksauce.

Personal skill doesn't always work. It's only applied when you're not in a dense area - You'll notice this the most when you start fighting big mobs in high level areas, and in multi-boss fights.

zofia
May 25, 2006, 02:51 PM
Any other info on NUman HU's in PSU, or has it all been covered?

TheGreyCliche
May 29, 2006, 11:46 AM
I'm in the same boat. I loved playing the offensive/support character of the HUnewearl. (Not to mention having the awesome Heart of Poumn that was reserved for that character alone).

But i'm hoping the beta will be significantly different from the release. From what i hear, it doesn't seem as balanced as it should be.

Sev
May 29, 2006, 12:10 PM
If everyone ran around putting stats wherever they wanted it's easier to create a balance issue, rather then pointing them in a direction. If you give total control, there's almost ALWAYS that one cheap build that does everything too well. And that causes problems in the end. I don't really see where a balance issue would be, some people are good at some things, while others are better at other things. It's not the first time this has ever come up in a game, and it really does hold ground. Right now, we only have an idea of how the stats will work for the characters... So we don't even know how characters will come out in the end.

I'm for complete customization as much as the next guy... But it really is most likely the fact that they didn't want every Hunter in the world buffing themselves and having no need for a Force. Likewise they didn't want Force's that could take hits like a Hunter while casting they're techs. Or Ranger's that would just sit back and shoot the hell out of something, and as soon as it got close debuff it, escape, and continue shooting with little to no threat. From what I heard of the beta, the game doesn't have any balance issues, so we must be hearing from different sources.

DurakkenX
May 29, 2006, 12:38 PM
HUnewearls are considered bad...because even though they were always weak. They had techs to compensate which made them very strong in the other areas which they were weak in. I mean if you have 200HP and a cast has 300HP. It looks liek the cast is stronger defensively, but if you can heal with magic 30 times to max with magic, 10 times with trimates 5 with dimates and 2 with mono. cast has 5200HP and the newearl has 9400HP. and the strength/def difference becomes minimal with the magic spells.

But that strength came from the magic side and not just the hunter skills. They no longer can up their strength/def and since they're relying on mates they'd only have 3400HP which is a notable difference

TheGreyCliche
May 29, 2006, 01:42 PM
Well said DurakkenX. I agree that the races and genders are balanced fairly well, but it's the classes mixed with the races and genders that doesn't seem to work very well. Like you said, it's all about customization, if they are going to make any race capable of beign a hunter, ranger, or force, then there shouldn't be as many penalties for playing one or the other.

hypersaxon
May 29, 2006, 04:09 PM
I don't think the game would be as fun if all of the races could do every class with no problems. Having a certain weakness in certain abilities is the whole point of having races to begin with. Newmans, in my opinion, shouldn't be as good of a Hunter as the other classes because, characteristically, the Newman is suppose to be a weak race. And while in PSO they were able to compensate for this with their magical abilities, it made them way too powerful than they should be.

So why offer the choice to play as a Newman Hunter to begin with? For people who want to have a challenge. Sure, most people who play PSU are going to select the classes that their character specializes in because they don't want to feel "gimped," but there are people out there who are willing to try more challenging combinations of characters because it makes the game more fun for them to have to overcome a character's limitations. Those are the kinds of people who will be making the FOcasts, RAbeasts, and HUnewms online. And while they may struggle a bit more than other characters, at least they're being given the choice to have the class that they want.

Anyway, it helps balance out the game when you have one race that's good at one class, and another race that's good at another class, and so forth. Of course, Humes are the wildcard being that they are balanced with all 3 classes, but of course they will never excell in any of those classes as much as a class that specifically specializes in that class. And while it may suck that RAs and HUs don't get technics anymore, the spell-casting should really be left to the Forces in my opinion, so the other classes can focus on doing what they're suppose to be doing.

DurakkenX
May 29, 2006, 05:07 PM
The fact of the matter is I would agree with you cept for one thing. I hate things that don't make sense in the game world. If I learn how to do something in the game universe unless there is an absolute reason for me not to be able to do it. I should be able to use it. If you make me pick a class at the begining and I can't change it no matter what then I'm cool with that. It's implied that somewhere in there is a reason for you not to be able to use it, even if it's not specified. But in this as well as in FFXI you learn things and then magically you have to forget them. It's BS in my opinion.

As far as challenges go...using a limitation as a challenge is an uncreative man's pathetic man's challenge. I prefer a challenge with substance than one without.

And one talks about balance...let's say they do one day to decide to incorporate battle mode, what happens then? Surely you wouldn't call a Hunter an equal challenge as a Force or a Ranger. The fact of the matter is Rangers and Forces have distance and a Hunter can not match it even with a ranged weapon. A ranger then also has more END which means greater regens and as such still out class a hunter and a Force if they can survive to the later period of the battle.

If they're gonna allow every character to build up every class then those character should reap the benefits of those levels building.

Lyrise
May 29, 2006, 06:52 PM
On 2006-05-29 15:07, DurakkenX wrote:

And one talks about balance...let's say they do one day to decide to incorporate battle mode, what happens then? Surely you wouldn't call a Hunter an equal challenge as a Force or a Ranger. The fact of the matter is Rangers and Forces have distance and a Hunter can not match it even with a ranged weapon. A ranger then also has more END which means greater regens and as such still out class a hunter and a Force if they can survive to the later period of the battle.

But there truly IS balance in this situation though. Rangers may have greater stamina, but it still doesn't make a world of difference unless the ranger can generate PP equal to about 3-4 shots worth (which is definitely not the case, even less if you have a barret art linked to the gun). Last time I checked (or rather played) ranger forms chew through PP as if it were packs of really low quality gum.

Another thing to note while we're on the subject of PP and a theoretical situation of battle mode - There is no auto-lock. Any competant player will know that mobility is everything. If you keep moving, it becomes a chore for the opposition to actually hit you, unlike in PSO, where auto-aim is such a bane to everyone. For rangers and forces, this means you have to make every shot and every spell cast count, or that's it for you.

If anything, battle leans a little more towards the Force side, and hunter form beast classes, since RA-level spells are true area of effect attacks, and can be cast into open space, making it possible to do damage despite missing. And for beasts? Good defense + lots of HP + ability to dish out and take lots of damage = a very good chance someone is going to be hurting when nanoblast gets brought into play. Of course, it just tilts slightly to those 2 cases. There's always another way around each situation. (i.e. despite nanoblast being impervious to damage, this does not mean they are invulnerable to all status effects, and they still need to chase down moving targets; think you can last 10 seconds?)

Zorafim
May 30, 2006, 02:23 AM
Ho-hum, I'm still hoping for a Myau/Nei/Rika type character in a HUnewearl. Physically competent, relying on accuracy and evasion more than brute strength, and enough magic to make up for any physical disadvantages they have. Of course, limit their magic to such a level where it can help, but shouldn't be relied on.

Sev
May 31, 2006, 05:44 PM
Everyone mentions low Def, HP, and Attack. But no one really mentions the good Evasions and good Accuracy. Your Accuracy is decent, and your Evasions the best. If people like character types that are not easy to hit, but have no problems hitting... The choice is obvious right?

Look... Even in a Hunter, not everyone likes physically strong characters. Things like being able to hit, and being able to evade are also important. I know a few people who like having characters built like that, rather then getting hit and hitting back. Just because your in the front line, doesn't mean that you absolutely have to take damage. That just means you have to keep the monsters off of the people in back. The weapons you use will also effect the type of character you are. If you wanna do more damage, switch to a higher damage weapon. It won't completely close the gap but it will still be high damage.

And as I said before, we don't know what every stat effects. We can guess, but that's it until the actual game is in hand. That is, unless one of the people from the Closed Beta can completely show what stat does what.

Oh, and the excuse that I've been using for abilities not carrying over is that you're simply not allowed. You get a license for a reason. You don't have a license, you cannot use the abilities or weapons exclusive to that job. Don't know why, but that seems to be the case.

Dre_o
May 31, 2006, 09:53 PM
On 2006-05-29 10:10, Sev wrote:
If everyone ran around putting stats wherever they wanted it's easier to create a balance issue, rather then pointing them in a direction. If you give total control, there's almost ALWAYS that one cheap build that does everything too well. And that causes problems in the end. I don't really see where a balance issue would be, some people are good at some things, while others are better at other things. It's not the first time this has ever come up in a game, and it really does hold ground. Right now, we only have an idea of how the stats will work for the characters... So we don't even know how characters will come out in the end.

I'm for complete customization as much as the next guy... But it really is most likely the fact that they didn't want every Hunter in the world buffing themselves and having no need for a Force. Likewise they didn't want Force's that could take hits like a Hunter while casting they're techs. Or Ranger's that would just sit back and shoot the hell out of something, and as soon as it got close debuff it, escape, and continue shooting with little to no threat. From what I heard of the beta, the game doesn't have any balance issues, so we must be hearing from different sources.

Dude...you took the thoughts straight from my brain...but ANYWAYS...who knows what is down the road oh lets say....50 levels? Ya don't know you won't be able to add basic techs to melee weapons or that rare weapons won't have that kind of abilities! STOP BEING SO SINICAL PEOPLE!!!

ANIMEniac
May 31, 2006, 10:50 PM
well this thought has crossed my mind. what if you made a FOnewm/earl and just used daggers with a S&D/J&Z boost. ofcourse that would be at higer lvls cause hp and atp take even more of a hit. what i may do is be a HU for the first couple of lvls while it is easy, then do some RA, or FO training. i hope as out level u get hour personal stats changed along with your class stats. it would be messed up to lvl the Hunter class to 20 then when u change to ranger, be like a lvl 1 again.

Witchblade56
Jun 1, 2006, 12:41 AM
First of all to be competetive and draw the necessary audience -into- the phantasy star universe of online play one must [as a game developer] take into consideration the tiny details that allow for a wider audience than what was previously seen with PSO.

That being said there are things that you can do in FFXI that allow one to be able to solo rather well any easy prey to decent challenge mob. These are called subjobs. NIN/RDM is an excellent solo job. What most people are familiar with [in FFXI] are BST/WHM [curative abilities while being able to charm a monster to fight for you] and RDM/NIN [which can haste buff themselves and debuff a monster really well].

Being able to solo in games now adays in MMO's means taking a considerable hit in doing all things really well. I think ST took this into account when making this game. Soloing in most instances in MMO's is a -challenge-. it's something you have to be be decently competent at doing. Some jobs do it better than others. HUnewearls were able to solo most anything from online difficulties to offline. ST I'm sure [as has been stated above] dopesnt want a single class to be able to do many other job functions -easier- than having that job as a main, hence the non-availability of techs at lower levels. Remember what the Devoloper stated in the interview, this game is to last a long time.

As newer content becomes available to us as players, more rares that can help to bridge the gap to a lesser extent, we will see more and more customizable combinations of armors/weapons that allows us to do more ikn the end game.

I dont think ST has forgotten about armor combos that do "neato" things like the love heart set.

We can speculate [as non beta players] all we want. I suspect that the beta players only touched upon the basics of the game. These things would include how we interact with other players, how we learn to function within a group setting. That's all I've been able to discern up to this point. I havent seen much about soloing unless it was in a lower level area vs being an area that was equal to the player's level. neither have I beta tested the game. All i go on is what's posted here forum side by the generous people that -have- played the beta. These people were not able to go into as much extensive and exhaustive experimentation that would allow for the dissimination of the vital info that we all seek. Let's wait and see what comes.

If anyone has seen further -CONCRETE- proof that anyone class will be -totally- and completely gimped playing solo during end game levels i would greatly appreciate corrective criticism. Until then lets enjoy the screenies and and videos of the game that we have seen. I can tell you first hand that from playing FFXI a NIN12 plays dramatically different from a NIN75.

I am almost positive that ST wants to compete with the crowds that have been playing FFXI now for years. They want something that is enthrallling and not easy to figure out for the players that will be playing, players not familiar with PSO.

This is just my opinion.

SirenV
Jun 1, 2006, 02:20 PM
This is very similar to what I was going to say Witchblade, so I'll try to be concise.

I don't think it's good to make complete generalizations from the beta. Although it will definately be similar, it's entirely possible that down the line there could be more options for weapon equippage or a type of sub-job system.

Regardless, as it is Miyoshi has kept/created/modified the races to fit stereotypical molds. I guess in terms of balance and added character choices, that's the only real way to do things (Even though I think the beasts could have been a bit more original). Due to this, there are only so many stats that a particular race can excel at (to give them stereotyped definition) - and unfortunately for Numans they lack stats that are generally favored by hunters - Strength, HP, Defense, and are still outpaced by Casts in Accuracy.

However - as the levels rise the gaps between the stats will rise as well... and although the Numans will be hurting for strength, it still seems they will play similarly to how they did in previous games. Accuracy counts - and they've got it, and there's nothing better than taking a hit than NOT getting hit. The ability to use hunter weapons along with the class stat modifiers will still allow them decent damage. But there's still something slightly askew.

Numans lack stats that would be favored by a hunter, yes. But (Although it isnt so great to take examples from the beta) I did hear that a FObeast/FOcast for example isnt necessarily such a bad idea. Although Numans Trump all other races in Tech power, that's not to say that the beast or cast don't have skills that would prove useful for a force. Now that TP is done away with (I worry about the direction sometimes ~_~ XD, anyway) there's nothing to say that a sturdy build Isn't bad for a force. In fact - when your high evasion can't save you it'll be better if you actually can take a hit. Sure your techniques arent as potent, but you do have increased survivability. (I don't even think that Numan Forces get additional PP or anything or a reduced tech cost, so a TP advantage is pointless)

And total balance doesn't mean "Well you're good at this so you should suck at everything else," and "well this combination is a challenge, so deal with it" , it's supposed to offer alternative playstyles that even though may have an affinity towards one thing or another, as many have said - still bring some kind of style and unique playability to the battle. If 'Balance' were "everything sucks besides your ideal job" (And we generally know this is not true), then they should have just made a Numan force, Cast Ranger, and Beast Hunter and had been done with it.

But the Numans are STILL at a fault due to their rather fragile constitution (especially when they don't have alot of TP (or even Techs as we know of) to make up for it). Also, another thing that puts the HUnewearls behind the rest is the fact that Beast and Cast have the Nanoblast and SUV weapon abilities. Bar evasion, Cast would be a much more ideal choice than a Numan. People will not always play all three jobs with one kind of character, so to say "well if you do that too then you'll be better at that", is not an excuse. Miyoshi says he has no plans to implement anything like this for the Human or Numan. I could see him NOT wanting to give the Numans anything, becuase if he did... then the humans would be at a complete loss and noone would want to play them.

But...

Either a sub-job system or the allowing of different weapons for each class would open up new windows of opportunity. In this way, noone's innate abilities would be wasted, and there would be more balance.. I think. For example - A Numan Hu/Fo would be quite potent while a Beast Hu/Fo would be quite pointless. Yet a Numan Fo/Hu would be pointless most likely and a Beast Fo/Hu would probably play more like a FOmar. I think that could help make up for their lower stats AND lack of special ability.

Or just the allowing of techniques - becuase then the Humans could actually have something to balance them out too - and they'd all probably play similarly HuMar/HuNewearl.

Overall, even without anything, I'm sure Numan hunters in a group "Aren't too shabby" blah de blah Sure, their stats are not as high but they probably do 'enough damage' with 'reliable hits' and are "good enough" for a supplementary group dynamic. This isnt as big of a deal seeing as you have to go online to play anyway (even though soloing might be more difficult). In THIS game generally I don't think you'd have a problem grouping, but I know in other games people wouldn't want you in the group if they could get something better or if you didn't bring SOMEthing unique to the table.

I agree though that the techniques could really be too advantagous in PSO - Resta, Shifta, Deban, Jellen, Zalure - but they could always either lower the non-force level it can go to, restrict more spells, or give them a small amount of TP (or PP in this case) to compensate. ANYWAY

I don't know, I tried to rewrite this post several times and tried to keep it minimal but had trouble, sorry, lol.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SirenV on 2006-06-01 12:23 ]</font>

Saner
Jun 1, 2006, 02:40 PM
the point is that class type can still survive on their own so they are still significant in their own way.

It's just messed up there might be parties online that won't accept Hunewearls because they have no wall-shattering advantages.

in any case they are a welcome combination.

Kano-Okami
Jun 1, 2006, 03:07 PM
lowest race hp=newman
lowest race atp=newman
lowest gender hp=female
lowest gender atp=female

HUnewearls are the weakest link. What's their advantage?
They look good doing what they do.
Best advantage.

Kupi
Jun 1, 2006, 06:58 PM
And don't forget, at start, a HUnewearl gets nearly double the DFP of the closest non-HU character, and far more HP than the next highest HP. The most important determinant of character stats, so far as I can tell, is Type. Race tweaks the way the Type's theme plays out, but the effect of Type on the stats completely drowns it out. The toughest Ranger can't out-melee the weakest Hunter, the most accurate Hunter can't out-range a most blind Ranger, and Forces naturally out-cast everything because they're the only ones who can.

And for that matter, gender is comparatively insignificant. I fully expect HUnewms and HUnewearls to play identically.

DurakkenX
Jun 1, 2006, 08:03 PM
In my opinion ST has no idea how to create a game with these type of characters from what i can tell...

and anyone that says FFXI lets you solo well is an idiot, plain and simple...

anyways...how it should be done statistically is...

Race should give base stats.
Gender should modify these base stats + or - realistically.
Char lvl should then add onto that equally for each character pt for pt. So that each race has an equal number of points total statistically not counting HP.
Class levels (notice the plural) should then add onto this.

ST seems to have just randomly picked out stats... and if you look you can tell what ST thinks is most important for each class...

Hunter = HP, ATP, DFP
Ranger = all stats except TAP are modified from their lowest and MST is modified in half the races
Forces = TAP, MST, EVP, and ATA for Newmans

TAP seems to be the most modified while MST seems to be pretty similiarly modified for each race. If I was in beta I could have figured this out which modifies damage...but since people said casts could hold their own MST is prolly the modifier of tech damage

Anyways the thing that most people like about PSO is that it isn't a huge investment of time like most other MMOs BECAUSE of having to party and the extreme slowness of battles. If they are looking what's better for play style they should allow mixing classes.

the only reason i've seen for people leaving PSO is not that they don't like it but that ST just pisses them off after a while.

Lyrise
Jun 1, 2006, 09:08 PM
TAP seems to be the most modified while MST seems to be pretty similiarly modified for each race. If I was in beta I could have figured this out which modifies damage...but since people said casts could hold their own MST is prolly the modifier of tech damage

There's a reason why the acronym TAP is there, and is really an acronym while lots of people continue to mistake it for an abbreviation. Unless someone got to see the english counterpart of the stat (and this goes for ALL of the stats), it will only be called TAP because its a literal translation of –@Œ‚—Í which pretty much means "(magic) Technique Attack Power." So yes, TAP (or whatever SoA wants to call it) is what directly influences your Tech damage. Casts can hold their own because it has nothing to do with the stat gains, its because they're most likely using a grinded weapon. Grinding a force weapon can and will boost your spell power by a LOT if you take it a far bit in.

the only reason i've seen for people leaving PSO is not that they don't like it but that ST just pisses them off after a while.

I dunno about you, but me and my friends left PSO for the sole fact that the core of the gameplay has not changed for the last 5 years, not one little bit. (Would it kill them to implement target locking? [not autoaim])

DurakkenX
Jun 1, 2006, 09:14 PM
Well there is that too, but that's a given after so many years things do get boring... and ST has made progresively worse add ons so that's another part of it