PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow?

DizzyDi
May 25, 2006, 12:07 PM
In the new gameplay video that was put up during E3, when Ethan is fighting those 3 flying things and he is using his claw. In his offhand I thought he was using a pistol at first, but if you watch and look closely it looks like a crossbow sorta weapon. Can anyone confirm this or is it just my eyes?

Ryna
May 25, 2006, 12:12 PM
If you look closely at the Neudaiz videos, you will see Maya using a crossbow weapon. Since the weapon wasn't available in the closed beta, no one really knows any details about it.

Saner
May 26, 2006, 05:36 PM
aw it should've been a Slicer.

maybe its a crossbow that shoots slicers? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kyuu
May 26, 2006, 07:16 PM
I'm hoping for crossbows and slicers myself.

Ryna
May 26, 2006, 07:24 PM
On 2006-05-26 17:16, Kyuu wrote:
I'm hoping for crossbows and slicers myself.

There is the possibility that slicers will still be in the game. We know there is a fan-type weapon that we haven't seen used in battle.

Axios-
May 26, 2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah, we just have to hope that they're actual weapons and not just decorations (which wouldn't make much sense).

Ryna
May 26, 2006, 07:59 PM
On 2006-05-26 17:55, Axios- wrote:
Yeah, we just have to hope that they're actual weapons and not just decorations (which wouldn't make much sense).

We know it'll be a real weapon since it shows up on the weapon icon list when you are switching jobs.

Axios-
May 26, 2006, 08:09 PM
Oh it does? I thought all we had was that screenshot of them on the wall in the weapon shop. Well, good to know ^-^;

zandra117
May 26, 2006, 08:56 PM
are you sure you are not mistaking the crossbow icon for a fan icon?

Ryna
May 26, 2006, 09:09 PM
On 2006-05-26 18:56, zandra117 wrote:
are you sure you are not mistaking the crossbow icon for a fan icon?

I can assure you that I am not mistaking the two.

Look at this picture:
http://www.pso-world.com/images/rynaspicturestash/weapon-selection.jpg

and this one:
http://www.pso-world.com/images/rynaspicturestash/fan.jpg

On the first line of the first picture, you will see what I believe is the Handgun, Crossbow, Fan, and Machine Gun.

It is possible that the third icon represents a different weapon type, but I strongly doubt it.

Saner
May 26, 2006, 10:00 PM
that 'fan' looks like a Cane or Wand-type of special weapon.

Nika
May 26, 2006, 10:09 PM
That fan is sure made for FO

Axios-
May 26, 2006, 10:21 PM
It may be as much for a FO as a bow is. Sure, it could be fo-equippable, but it could also still be ranged weapon. However, it may still be a ra-equippable weapon; just know way to know yet.

DizzyDi
May 26, 2006, 11:43 PM
Weren't photon whips also confirmed?

Axios-
May 26, 2006, 11:45 PM
I don't think it was ever confirmed, but it's long been speculated, and I believe that there is still an unidentified weapon or two that is believe to be a whip. I'm not sure though...

RoninJoku
May 27, 2006, 12:14 AM
I must say I'm much more interested in the possibilities of the fan type weapon... but at least we are almost guaranteed that this crossbow will be offhand equippable... It was looking kinda lame that your only choice for an offhand weapon (aside from double wielded types) was a handgun...

Numnuttz
May 27, 2006, 03:22 AM
hhhmmm it theres fans now to use as weapons. yea i think that this is most likey gonna be for Fo since its a fan. i highly doubt that a fan which would barely do any dmg be for a hunter. also the fact that tehy now have crossbows in this game makes me want to get a crossbow as well when this game comes out. i wonder if you could duel teh crosbows. that be interesting to see

DraginHikari
May 27, 2006, 06:27 AM
I don't think just because it's a fan that it's necessary a FO weapon in the sense... the Fans that acted as slicers in PSO could be used by others then just forces. Though by looking at it, it's hard to say what it is exactly... by the video I saw with those fans in it, there too small to really use with melee so I would guess they use a range of some kind.... but too hard to tell right now anyway.

Fleece
May 27, 2006, 07:02 AM
To Dual wield crossbow and fan for Hunter would be amazing.

Shrevn
May 27, 2006, 01:11 PM
the bows do look preety spiffy i might say, might roll ranger this time around

SirenV
May 27, 2006, 01:41 PM
On 2006-05-27 05:02, Fleece wrote:

Yeah!

And I'd think the fan would be some sort of ranged weapon too.. slicer wise. I was hoping maybe for a photon whip as well as some have mentioned. Now you see, the first sighting of these weapons (slicer/whip) were for Anna/Amia In phantasy star II, and she was a "Guardian/Counter Hunter". Perhaps more notably were slicers used by Alys Bragwin in PSIV, and she herself was a hunter.

The only game where "Force-type" girls (I just noticed only girls ever used them)used slicers was Phantasy Star 3, and that was limited to Thea/Support Kara (Although Melee Kara used them as well (I preferred her).

Anyway, if 'fans' as it were function as slicers and were attributed to only forces or rangers that'd be pretty bogus in my opinion - they were always primarily "hunter" weapons. If they are something different altogether.. that's ok then, lol. But they should still have slicers =.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SirenV on 2006-05-27 11:45 ]</font>

Saner
May 27, 2006, 01:45 PM
On 2006-05-27 11:41, SirenV wrote:

On 2006-05-27 05:02, Fleece wrote:

Yeah!

And I'd think the fan would be some sort of ranged weapon too.. slicer wise. I was hoping maybe for a photon whip as well as some have mentioned. Now you see, the first sighting of these weapons (slicer/whip) were for Anna/Amia In phantasy star II, and she was a "Guardian/Counter Hunter". Perhaps more notably were slicers used by Alys Bragwin in PSIV, and she herself was a hunter.

The only game where "Force-type" girls (I just noticed only girls ever used them)used slicers was Phantasy Star 3, and that was limited to Thea/Support Kara (Although Melee Kara used them as well (I preferred her).

Anyway, if 'fans' as it were function as slicers and were attributed to only forces or rangers that'd be pretty bogus in my opinion - they were always primarily "hunter" weapons.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SirenV on 2006-05-27 11:43 ]</font>

true but I wouldn't mind if Slicers were exclusive to Rangers or Forces if that's what it takes to include them.

besides you could then career as a Ranger that only uses Slicers and pretend to be a Hunter. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

TheStoicOne
May 27, 2006, 02:33 PM
Are you guys not seeing what I'm seeing? That fan very well could be the slicer. It looks as if the individual flaps can seperate. That would explain the PP thing. (Flaps=Ammo) And the only reason people are saying that it looks like a FO wep is because its BRIGHT ASSS PURPLE! LOL!!! ause thats what I thought!!LOL! ANyways look at the fan pic again and tell me that that's not a possiblity! I DARE YOU!

Ryoten
May 27, 2006, 02:42 PM
Thats my first guess too. It could be something else but I say its a slicer. Can anyone say 'Dual Slicers'?

Saner
May 27, 2006, 02:43 PM
um dude look at the fan.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/rynaspicturestash/fan.jpg

it's attached to a stick, so it's either a Wand or a Cane or some pokey rod thingy.

slicers don't have a stick/staff attached to them. they are basically boomerangs.

Axios-
May 27, 2006, 02:44 PM
Seriously, don't try to argue the reality of these weapons. Most of the stuff in this game doesn't make perfect sense.

A2K
May 27, 2006, 02:45 PM
A boomerang is just a bent stick, though, not to mention that slicers in PSO had handles.

Saner
May 27, 2006, 02:47 PM
that's a huge vertical handle for a throwing weapon. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ryoten
May 27, 2006, 02:53 PM
But if you look closely, it seem like the player can hold onto the rod in the middle. Maybe its an rare item or so.

mechatra
May 27, 2006, 03:05 PM
slicers don't have a stick/staff attached to them. they are basically boomerangs.

Wrong. Slicers have handles, otherwise you wouldn't be able to hold it without burning your hand would you? and I slicer doesnt actually work anything like a boomerang really, the PSO slicers just resembled them slightly.

Slicers are photon edged blades that can throw of photon streaks. That fan makes perfect sense to be a slicer.

Uri
May 27, 2006, 03:27 PM
It would be pretty sweet. The weapons in PSU are looking better and better.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

REJ-
May 27, 2006, 04:48 PM
Perhaps the fan might have some totally new attack that isn't like the slicer or the cross bow

RoninJoku
May 27, 2006, 05:15 PM
Considering PSO already had the Rappy's Fan and the Flight Fan both as slicers... I really can't help but assume they are slicers...

NightHour13
May 27, 2006, 05:23 PM
Maybe they'll shoot...Photon Wind...

OUCH THAT BREEZE HURTS LIKE HECK!

mechatra
May 27, 2006, 05:37 PM
Blatent LoZ:TP ripoff http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif^

>_<

SirenV
May 27, 2006, 06:44 PM
On 2006-05-27 11:45, Saner wrote:

true but I wouldn't mind if Slicers were exclusive to Rangers or Forces if that's what it takes to include them.

Agreed, if that's what it takes, lol.
And yeah, I can see where the fan couldn't be a slicer

On 2006-05-27 13:05, mechatra wrote:

Wrong. Slicers have handles, otherwise you wouldn't be able to hold it without burning your hand would you? and I slicer doesnt actually work anything like a boomerang really, the PSO slicers just resembled them slightly.

Slicers are photon edged blades that can throw of photon streaks. That fan makes perfect sense to be a slicer.

Well, in PSO yeah, but before that they WERE basically boomerangs... actually the first slicer in PSII was called... "Boomerang" If I remember correctly XD!. But for all intents and purposes with the focus on photons and whatnot I'd say it'd probably have to have a handle unless they made special ones that were non-photonic.

Either way, as some of you have speculated, it most definately could be an entirely new weapon type. It COULD be a novelty/rare slicer... I'm not sure if there's a way to tell for sure...

TheStoicOne
May 27, 2006, 07:36 PM
On 2006-05-27 13:05, mechatra wrote:

THANK YOU!! (finally competence)

SirenV
May 28, 2006, 07:08 AM
Yeah, it makes sense that it could be a slicer. I just hope that slicers themselves wouldn't totally replaced with "fans"- however similar in function they may be. I could see it as some hairbrained scheme by miyoshi to make things more oriental to fit the whole 'Numan culture' (That fan looks like something straight out of Neudaiz, lol) Also judging on how ornamental it is I'm a bit worried to speculate that it looks like it's solely for a force, but I ranted about why this is odd earlier on.

And as Ryna showed there is a definate icon for a fan-type weapon (Which appears in that picture to be an offhand force weapon.)... so... I'm a little worried. I guess it's not a huge deal though.

Anyway, it looks cool. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it functions as something other than a slicer though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SirenV on 2006-05-28 05:13 ]</font>

Ryna
May 28, 2006, 07:31 AM
On 2006-05-28 05:08, SirenV wrote:
And as Ryna showed there is a definate icon for a fan-type weapon (Which appears in that picture to be an offhand force weapon.)... so... I'm a little worried. I guess it's not a huge deal though.

I wouldn't read too much into what classes can equip that weapon based on its icon location. The class icon chart is poorly organized.

For example, we have the Machine Gun (Ranger only weapon) at the end of that line.

Anyway, it looks cool. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it functions as something other than a slicer though.

That is a good attitude to take. We have no idea how the weapon will function until the game is released.

Axios-
May 28, 2006, 12:56 PM
Even if fans completely replaced slicers, I'd have a hard time thinking that every rare fan would still be a fan. I'd expect to see at least a few slicer-esque weapons (if fans function like slicers).

-Klaus-
May 28, 2006, 01:08 PM
My guess:

Definately a fan. Works like a slicer (shoots photon streaks when waved) and it's probably equippable by all jobs.
In PSO slicers could be equipped by most jobs (I think forces weren't included...haven't been on in a while..) so it'd make sense if it could be the same way in PSU.

Saner
May 28, 2006, 03:56 PM
I can't believe some people actually think that fan is a slicer. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

no slicer would have a handle that thick and long, besides if you look at the weapon skill chart, one of the symbols is a 'staff with a fan-shaped tip'. that's the weapon you are seeing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Kyuu
May 28, 2006, 04:49 PM
... Why wouldn't the fans be PSU's slicer? There's no evidence to suggest otherwise.

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't have handles like you see on those fans. They actually look way better and more natural than the design of the slicers in PSO, in my opinion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-05-28 14:50 ]</font>

Axios-
May 28, 2006, 05:00 PM
Yeah, there's absolutely no way this could be slicer...

http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/GC-FLIGHT_FAN-ACTION-2.jpg http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9228/fan8up.jpg

Hmm? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_chicken.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Axios- on 2006-05-28 15:02 ]</font>

Fleece
May 28, 2006, 09:03 PM
mmmMMMm pwned by pictures?

Oji_Retta
May 28, 2006, 09:18 PM
This will be a funny development in this thread.

Kyuu
May 28, 2006, 09:18 PM
o_0 That's a picture from PSO, right? I've never seen that fan weapon, though admittedly I haven't played in a long while (though I just started up again). But yeah, if that's a slicer-type weapon... then it looks damn similar to the fan weapon in PSU. Except that the PSU one looks a ton better, of course.

Axios-
May 28, 2006, 09:20 PM
It's called Flight Fan.

http://www.pso-world.com/items.php?op=viewarticle&artid=519

...anyone else notice that this topic is titled 'Crossbow' but has become solely about slicers?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Axios- on 2006-05-28 19:21 ]</font>

Fleece
May 28, 2006, 09:32 PM
What's your point? i COULD talk about my zanba for 50 minutes if youd like.

DraginHikari
May 28, 2006, 09:34 PM
It is quite a resemblence....

Dre_o
May 28, 2006, 11:05 PM
I too find this resemblence between said Flight Fan and this PSU Fan....unless the Fan will be a Melee weapon (See Zao Quao from Dynasty Warriors [I just know I spelled here name wrong X/])