PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't bad psychiatrists/psychologists losing their lice

ZaiV2
May 26, 2006, 09:08 PM
Seriously. At one point I went to a psych who told my parents that his treatment for my problems (he thought ADHD, I was later found to have bipolar) was to "beat the self-esteem" out of me through games. His "treatment" failed because I always beat the man, even at games like chess (since I was at age seven, this was quite the irony). Another problem is that people who somehow got medical licenses are now causing a negative impact on today's youth. Granted, I believe the "everything is either ADD or ADHD" phase has since weakened, but regardless these people still stalk the streets of psychotherapy. This is a problem. Maybe I'm just prejudiced and oversensitive to the problem because I was a victim (also diagnosed incorrectly; screwed my life up big time because bipolar people do NOT mix well with ADHD meds), but I want to know why more of these people aren't being found out. I want to know why there isn't anything in the news about this problem. I want to know how many people are still suffering from the effects of these people being able to practice.

Skorpius
May 26, 2006, 09:20 PM
I'm a person who thinks all of this psychological crap is nonsense. Everyone in high school was bipolar, ADD/HD, or both. Psychiatry has ruined everything Psychology is supposed to help fix. It's not about naming the problem and giving drugs, it's about finding the roots and helping the person come to a better understanding of why they are the way they are.

Psychiatrists = bad.
Psychologists = good.

Saraphim
May 26, 2006, 10:11 PM
There is a pill for every condition. Depressed? Pop a pill. Have a crappy job? Pop a pill. I have two kids, and one (9yrs old) is borderline ADD as I was informed by HIS SCHOOL NURSE! You read that right. Even school nurses feel the need to diagnose psych problems.

The conversation with the school is another issue, but seriously, treatment that works will NOT come in a pill. A pill is a simple temporary solution to a comlplex and sometimes permenant problem.

Psychaitrists are little more than legal drug dealers, and that whole profession should be re-evaluated and restructured.

I should note that my child is fine and med free. Turns out he just needed an outlet for all his energy and Karate fit the bill.

Otis_Kat
May 26, 2006, 10:42 PM
With the definition of ADD, every child should have it.

Some social worker at my school thinks I have some deep seeded social problem as to why I don't talk much to her. Maybe it's because I don't like you and you keep askign stupid questions?

Firocket1690
May 26, 2006, 10:53 PM
lawl, psychologists.

People think Firo's crazy. Firo thinks people are crazy. Well. Except that bastard gets paid $20, and a good portion of insurance for his opinion on Firo's craziness, so he must be right. Just because most kids are socially active doesn't mean all kids are. I just abhor the people who assume that all teenagers should be "socially and physically healthy."
Fuckers.

PJ
May 26, 2006, 11:51 PM
Except that, you should.

It's part of overall health and well-being: Being mentally healthy, being physically healthy, and even, being socially healthy.

Check it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellness_%28medicine%29)

Even if the socially healthy part is less obvious, the physical health shouldn't even be a question.

Unless you meant, not all teenagers are, which is true http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Saiffy
May 27, 2006, 11:59 AM
On 2006-05-26 19:20, Skorpius wrote:
It's not about naming the problem and giving drugs, it's about finding the roots and helping the person come to a better understanding of why they are the way they are.

Quoted for truth. My psychologist, therapist, whatever the shit he's called. He doesn't try and pin my problems on something. Most of the stuff I've learned from going there was because of me, with help from him asking questions and stuff of course.

He did mention pills for depression once, I said no, not just because I think I can get through my problems without them, but I think it's a little unnatural to use pills for moods.

Maybe it's just me who has gotten lucky with my psychologist, but even just talking to him about the things we do, he can see things about me I thought I only saw.(And a certain someone might find it funny that he said "You like drama, don't you?". I was kinda laughing, despite it not being a good thing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif)