PDA

View Full Version : Damage Canceling: A Thing of the Past?

Spellbinder
May 27, 2006, 11:20 PM
A topic I haven't seen discussed yet: Damage Canceling. Although I personally didn't mind it (too much), some people loathe and despise it so I thought I'd ask anyone who participated in the Beta. Did you notice any damage canceling, and if you did was it bothersome?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spellbinder on 2006-05-27 21:52 ]</font>

Saner
May 27, 2006, 11:23 PM
I think I seen something like that in Champions return to arms online, it was a glitch to attack faster.

you mean when a player cancels their attack animation so they can quickly attack again, therefore damaging an enemy at a much faster rate?

AzureBlaze
May 27, 2006, 11:41 PM
Unfortunatly, Saner, that was not the case on PSO and what Spellbinder is after.
(be nice if it was!)
But PSO's ver was where say....a weak FO cast a zonde on like a...booma for 50 damage at the same time that a strong RA shot it with a gun. In some annoying cases, the gun hit would FAIL to damage at all, and since it was simultaneous, only the Zonde would damage it. If you put the scenario where someone is spamming foie, and you got a HU trying to work a crowd with a sword it gets deadly if all sword swings fail to hit.

It was a glitch of some kind in the programming, and they never really bothered to fix it (its unrealistic, physics wise, not to mention gameplay-disruptive). We are hoping psu fixes this. I was on the beta but it would barely play for me, so I have no idea.

PrinceBrightstar
May 27, 2006, 11:42 PM
nope, it means when two players hits register at the same time, no damage is done instead of the numbers displayed. I think it is gone since that is all handled by the server now, indicated by the 1 second damage delay (lag to and from server)

Alisha
May 27, 2006, 11:53 PM
dmg cancel blew chunks on challange 1

_Tek_
May 28, 2006, 12:12 AM
plus in pso, with a team of 4, everyone would do enough damage anyways.

NightHour13
May 28, 2006, 12:53 AM
Seems to be a minimal problem. Should be gone by the time PSU comes out. I know this got me murdered in Ult. Ruins a bunch of times with that wonderful RaZonde flying out of the forces. In the end, even my humar decided to just RaZonde them to get my exp...then let the forces go mad.

Inazuma
May 28, 2006, 01:08 AM
PSU does NOT have damage cancel!! i did not notice any when i played the beta.

like others have said, the monster damage is handled server side now. good job, sonic team http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Non-Toxic-Crayons
May 28, 2006, 10:22 AM
Man... I hated it when you are fighting the dragon, and he jumps into the air to get away and burrow... And at that moment, everyone whips out their charge vulcans and does 1000+ per hit, YET the dragon manages to get away O_O
Its such BS, especially because any one of us could have brought him down by ourselves.... but together... we fail ><

Anyway... since the damage is handled server side, does that mean there is a possibility we experience damage cancel when the servers get really busy?

Ryna
May 28, 2006, 11:01 AM
The biggest problem with the new system is latency. If you are on a really laggy connection, the damage may not show up until a couple of seconds after your attack. This gives the monster a chance to damage you, even though it is supposed to be dead.

RoninJoku
May 28, 2006, 12:44 PM
On 2006-05-28 09:01, Ryna wrote:
The biggest problem with the new system is latency. If you are on a really laggy connection, the damage may not show up until a couple of seconds after your attack. This gives the monster a chance to damage you, even though it is supposed to be dead.

We can just think of this is the monsters "final attack" or something... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Axios-
May 28, 2006, 12:59 PM
Zombies. o_o

Authenticate
May 28, 2006, 04:06 PM
You just gotta watch out. You think they're dead, but they just spray some ooze everywhere and turn on their cloaking field so they can claw you in the knees and run.

Saner
May 28, 2006, 04:07 PM
its nothing serious! cheer up! lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

just adapt and you'll still win lol. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif