PDA

View Full Version : PS2 ppl

Kimil
May 28, 2006, 07:08 PM
I was just thinking, in compairison to the XBOX 360 and MOST people's PCs, wouldn't the load time (loading new areas, character sprites you run into, etc) on the PS2 be much longer? the PS2 is the most dated consule that PSU is going to be on, so wouldn't the PS2 players be slowing everyone else's gameplay down?

I wonder how much of a difference there'll be for those who go from playing on the PS2 to the PS3

Inazuma
May 28, 2006, 07:27 PM
in the e3 footage of ppl playing psu, the load times between areas were horrid. im assuming that was the ps2 ver, cuz running the psu beta on my decent pc wasnt anywhere near that bad.

Saner
May 28, 2006, 07:36 PM
oh come on the loading times won't be that bad.

Im sure the PS2 load times are reasonable.

I mean PS2 is known to have many games that load pretty fast, even instantly, and they have modern graphics too.

and PS2 can't slow down everyone else's gameplay online. because that's really a latency connection issue, not hardware.

but if you mean loading to a new area and waiting for your PS2 friend to appear, I don't think there will be that much of a difference.

Saner
May 28, 2006, 07:37 PM
On 2006-05-28 17:27, Inazuma wrote:
in the e3 footage of ppl playing psu, the load times between areas were horrid. im assuming that was the ps2 ver, cuz running the psu beta on my decent pc wasnt anywhere near that bad.

lol those load times weren't so bad. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

You should play Resident Evil Outbreak without a harddrive. now those loadtimes were pretty lengthly.

Inazuma
May 28, 2006, 07:52 PM
yea thats true about loading boss battles. the boss entry cinema wont play until everyone has that area loaded.

i remember playing pso dc & pc together. the difference in loading the boss battles was huge.

Saner
May 28, 2006, 07:58 PM
well they are doing what they can.

if they could, it would have no load times, but reality works differently.

Tystys
May 28, 2006, 08:12 PM
Meh, get a better connection and the load times will be decreased a little bit, lol

Ether
May 28, 2006, 08:24 PM
On 2006-05-28 18:12, Tystys wrote:
Meh, get a better connection and the load times will be decreased a little bit, lol

lol

Loading data from the DVD has nothing to do with connection speed

Saiffy
May 28, 2006, 08:42 PM
I imagine that for bosses, the bosses "intro movie" wouldn't start playing for anyone til everyone is loaded. To preven desynchs.

Other areas, yeah, PCers will probably load faster and run ahead.

Fleece
May 28, 2006, 08:54 PM
There won't be a significant difference, couple of seconds at MAX.

_Tek_
May 28, 2006, 10:24 PM
I'm assuming it will be loading similar to GTA-SA did, that game was constantly loading.

it will kill your ps2, MWAHWHAWH.

unless you got a nice area with clean air. dust really kills stuff.

Keyeszx
May 28, 2006, 10:27 PM
tru
r u on tek cuz i sent u a message

Saner
May 29, 2006, 12:12 AM
oh come now this isn't like that game.

it won't be constantly loading, that's why they segmented the areas so it loads easier and faster.

_Tek_
May 29, 2006, 02:07 AM
No it won't be loading as much, since it basically loads a single envoroment which you run around unlike GTA-SA where its a huge enviroment alway sloading your proximity, etc.

Ryoten
May 30, 2006, 03:42 PM
If it is a little like that, I'll try my luck on the PS3 since its can play PS2 games. It doesn't matter to me anyway because I will have to play the game on a console anyway.

Saner
May 30, 2006, 03:44 PM
ya but what if PS3's backward compatibility is partially flawed like PS2's?

Saiffy
May 30, 2006, 03:49 PM
On 2006-05-28 18:54, Fleece wrote:
There won't be a significant difference, couple of seconds at MAX.

Maybe ST will go back to the "good ol days" and make people have to have the CD/DVD in their computer to play.

That'd even loading times.

I'm sadistic

sami_pso
May 30, 2006, 03:53 PM
well i dont think psu is alot harder then pso so load time woulnd be long.

Ryoten
May 30, 2006, 03:57 PM
On 2006-05-30 13:44, Saner wrote:

You're right about that. Then I will have to borrow my friends PS2 or buy the silm version of it. I'm still getting the PS3 anyways. But if it does play the game on the PS3,it might have cut the loading process in half due to the new technology & all.

A2K
May 30, 2006, 04:17 PM
The PS3 will use a software emulation scheme for backwards compatibility, similar to the Xbox 360's emulation of Xbox games, meaning, if you thought backwards compatibility for PS1 games on PS2 wasn't perfect, then...

Saner
May 30, 2006, 04:22 PM
loading won't be such a big deal anyway.

Keyeszx
May 30, 2006, 04:44 PM
if your a big fan of PSU the load times won't matter like me

Uri
May 30, 2006, 05:01 PM
I can't understand why people would even want to play the game on the PS2. The graphics will be worse, the online play will be worse, plus there's no voice chat.

Blah.

Saner
May 30, 2006, 05:40 PM
On 2006-05-30 15:01, Uri wrote:
I can't understand why people would even want to play the game on the PS2. The graphics will be worse, the online play will be worse, plus there's no voice chat.

Blah.

AAAAAAAH HOW DARE YOU!!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

the graphics are pretty much the same. just minor differences compared to an advanced hardware PC version.

and those differences won't be noticed at all while you're playing, unless you're a nitpicking graphics rat. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

the online play won't be worse. the connection speed is no different from the other versions. and loading won't be a big deal either!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif

and voice chat is severely overrated.

you don't see FF11 and WoW players demanding voice chat.
keyboard text chat is the way to go.

most PC gamers will be using keyboards to communicate too anyway, therefore voice chat fanatics are in the vast minority! so there! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Oji_Retta
May 30, 2006, 06:46 PM
On 2006-05-30 13:44, Saner wrote:

I think the only reason the PS2's is flawed is because some developers didn't follow Sony's set up completely. There are games that don't follow the setup completely on the PS2 as well. Its the developers choice really, but most were. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Inazuma
May 30, 2006, 07:28 PM
On 2006-05-30 15:40, Saner wrote:

the graphics are pretty much the same. just minor differences compared to an advanced hardware PC version.

and those differences won't be noticed at all while you're playing, unless you're a nitpicking graphics rat. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

im sorry, but you couldnt be more wrong! graphics have improved a lot over the past 5 years. have you seen a new pc game running at a high rez? the ps2 cant even begin to compare.

PhotonCat
May 30, 2006, 07:33 PM
Loading data from the DVD has nothing to do with connection speed

When your online, yes it does.

The PS2 version will load slower because of no HDD support mainly. The PC and Xbox versions will load much faster. If you have dial-up, loading areas will be a pain no matter what.

_Tek_
May 30, 2006, 07:56 PM
yeah lag is caused both by connection, and your processing power.

Keyeszx
May 30, 2006, 09:22 PM
is tek ever on when im here

DizzyDi
May 30, 2006, 09:50 PM
On 2006-05-30 15:01, Uri wrote:

Blah.

Yeah well the graphics comparing PS2 to PC won't be much different cause they both use the same graphics engine. PC will have higher resolution but thats about it, just like FFXI from PC to PS2, the difference is negligble.
And online play on PS2 isn't bad at all, its really all dependant on what kinda network set up you have.
Voice chat? Yeah, have fun with that one. I got enough of voice chat while playing Halo 2 online.

ShinMaruku
May 30, 2006, 09:54 PM
Since we are dealing with graphics whores, they'll point out a diffrnece even if it's resolution, so don't bother.
As for me, PS3 baby! Hopefully I can use the network and it's online to set up online meeting via here or elsewhere. XD

kazuma56
May 30, 2006, 10:52 PM
Well load times probably won't be more then 20-30 secs, MH load times weren't that long to me and lasted around 15-20 anyway.

As for the PS2 graphics, there are SOME games that I think by the systems standards look amazing like GoW, Shadow Of the Colossus, and GT4 (just to name a few).

ShinMaruku
May 30, 2006, 11:04 PM
I'm gonna save this to my PSD3 HDD and then load stupid quicx.

Inazuma
May 30, 2006, 11:05 PM
On 2006-05-30 19:54, ShinMaruku wrote:
Since we are dealing with graphics whores, they'll point out a diffrnece even if it's resolution, so don't bother.
As for me, PS3 baby! Hopefully I can use the network and it's online to set up online meeting via here or elsewhere. XD

lol, this made me laugh. someone who spends $600 on a gaming console for its graphics, complaining about graphics whores.

_Tek_
May 30, 2006, 11:08 PM
but ps3 will have devil may cry 4

DizzyDi
May 30, 2006, 11:16 PM
and Metal Gear Solid 4, FFXIII, Tekken 5, +MANY MORE!

MGS4 is enough for a lot of folks anyway...

kazuma56
May 30, 2006, 11:23 PM
On 2006-05-30 21:05, Inazuma wrote:

lol, this made me laugh. someone who spends $600 on a gaming console for its graphics, complaining about graphics whores.

Well the PS3 has some other things like its storage media and its "free" online content that SM is probably looking forward too...that and most PC gamers (graphic whores) already know that the PS3/XB360 will be outdated graphically by 2008 anyway.

ShinMaruku
May 30, 2006, 11:26 PM
On 2006-05-30 21:05, Inazuma wrote:

You misundertand my interntions, Of coruyse I'm gonna buy it for the other franchies it got not for PSU.
Plus the PS3 has ferw nice features other than upping the resolution that I will uses indeed. Can search the internet, got a decent communtiy function and I can save it tote HDD and thus my load times will become moot. Much more to the thing than graphics.
Please do not try to gauge one's intentions.
But yes, all those kniokcing the PS2 version are graphic whores. XP

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMaruku on 2006-05-30 21:28 ]</font>

Saner
May 30, 2006, 11:37 PM
resolution is not even a good reason to label the PS2 version as 'bad graphics'.

it's still beautiful and playable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-05-30 21:37 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
May 30, 2006, 11:43 PM
When you are delaing with them graphics whores they won't care.
Resoultion alnoe is making people move, rather silly, yes, but since when has humanity ever been logical?
I'd pay them no mind though.
Preformcnae is my issue. not the graphics and since I'll have a PS3 by whatever time Sonic Team get's lazy so I'll tryi it on the PS3 to see exactly what can be done

DraginHikari
May 31, 2006, 04:39 AM
Basing things on graphics is a silly concept anyway. A game could be good without next generation graphics all the time. PS2 is still a strong enough graphic engine, nothing to fret about really... more then anything alot of the issues with game system graphics is that they ARE designed with tvs in mind and alot of older tv have horrid resolution compared to PC monitors.

ShinMaruku
May 31, 2006, 01:02 PM
Tis silly, but seems a good ammount of people here seem to base it on that alone. XD

HiKeRI
May 31, 2006, 08:26 PM
PS3 FTW