PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on PSUX

ANIMEniac
May 29, 2006, 07:03 AM
ok, so there are alot of ppl who trash on the XBL community when they are actualy refering to the Halo 2 community, but whatever. i open this post for discussion of the x-box version (speaking in the case that PSUX is its own server).

for voice chat i know there will be the option to voice ban wich will prove valuable, but how will the vicinity voice work. i will go crazy if i can hear all 100 ppl in the lobby, so will it be only conversation distance or shouting distance. it would be a cool feature if it was like a real place to where you can hear who you are talking to, but the further away voices get the more it turns into a mumble.

zandra117
May 29, 2006, 07:11 AM
They will most likely make the voice teamchat and proximity only. Just like how the keyboard chat in the psu beta was.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-05-29 05:12 ]</font>

ANIMEniac
May 29, 2006, 09:36 AM
ok good, i was also wondering how text chat was, cause i dint want to be blinded be text chat spam. do u no if you could text ban?

Rihcky
May 29, 2006, 10:21 AM
I'm actually looking forward to the voicechat. It will be great once you know who the normal people are. Talking is so much more relaxing than typing.
I know the 360 is probably going to get ignored update-wise. But I will still take this version anyway.
I don't like gaming on PC at all...

DjDragoon
May 29, 2006, 11:11 AM
I still think that 360 users should get use to both methoods of communication. Visuals are sometimes better when pointing out something.

Tystys
May 29, 2006, 11:24 AM
Meh, I don't really have much of an opinion when it comes to porting games to another system, but in this case, I think it would be a stupid move if they didn't link 360 servers with PS2 and PC.

That wouldn't be fair to 360 owners who have freinds that are playing the PS2 or PC version of the game.

TheGreyCliche
May 29, 2006, 11:34 AM
maybe it's just me, but i'm actually looking forward to playing on just the xbox server. sure it will be a smaller community, but to me that means less strangers and more friends.

DurakkenX
May 29, 2006, 11:35 AM
I want the servers to be linked so I have an exscuse to buy a 360 ^.^ The only real reason i'm debating it is because I'm also getting the PC ver and if they aren't linked then I can't play on both with my chars.

I hope voice chat measures decibles and then proximities from that. I also hope there would be a little voice mod for playing opposite gender characters for RPers. I also hope extra mode and offline mode are able to be played without the online connection.

TheGreyCliche
May 29, 2006, 12:01 PM
I can see how someone in your position would want the servers linked, and thats cool. but my logic is, if there is only one system on one server, compatibility wouldn't be an issue, loading areas wouldn't be as much of an issue, and since it's all closed it, gameplay in general would just be quicker. but the best part about all of this, is that if the servers aren't linked, they could finish the xbox 360 version early and ship it out sooner.

As for playing offline, i have a feeling you won't need the online connection. since you can't play your online characters offline because they are stored in the server. and also, i heard that you do not require xbox live gold to play PSU online, and that silver and the monthly fee is all you need.

DurakkenX
May 29, 2006, 12:22 PM
The problem with what you're thinking is quite simply that the servers will still have crowded and empty servers. People tend to clump all on the first server/lobby/universe whatever you want to call it. And there are maximums to each server that are made to support a little over what the maximum lag free point is.

as for compatability...you can have 2 very sperate games on the same server that intereact with each other as long as there is a mutual packet sent that can e read and processed by the server. Since the game is programed the same way is only slightly different in the cpu usage there is no need for them to be seperate....

Save for 1 point. Voice chat. If 360 owners are linked with non-360 owners then there will most definately be people who don't want to play those without voice chat so there will be a segregation that happened on PSOX as well. to fix this problem MS would have to provide a link to it's voice server which could lead to cracks and such for their network.

There is however a solution...Have a voice chat server set up programed into the games that would allow for people to set up a connection to ventrillo or other voice chat programs.

Sev
May 29, 2006, 12:27 PM
On 2006-05-29 10:01, TheGreyCliche wrote:
I can see how someone in your position would want the servers linked, and thats cool. but my logic is, if there is only one system on one server, compatibility wouldn't be an issue, loading areas wouldn't be as much of an issue, and since it's all closed it, gameplay in general would just be quicker. but the best part about all of this, is that if the servers aren't linked, they could finish the xbox 360 version early and ship it out sooner.

As for playing offline, i have a feeling you won't need the online connection. since you can't play your online characters offline because they are stored in the server. and also, i heard that you do not require xbox live gold to play PSU online, and that silver and the monthly fee is all you need.

I don't think it's possible for PSU to come out for the Xbox 360 before any other system. For starters... It was developed for the PC and PS2 first, so those are going to come out first. Then there's the fact that the 360 isn't big in Japan as well. Plus all of the testing that's been talked about so far is for the PC version... Which is linked with the PS2.

This is just my own bias... Since we knew about the game for the other 2 first, why would it come out for the 360 before the others? I know it's speculation and all, I just don't see it happening.

Now something like a 3 platform release would be fine. I just don't see it coming out before the PS2 or PC version.

People seem to have mixed feelings. I don't know what kind of toll it would have on gameplay... I'm on FFXI, and I don't have any gameplay problems, the only real problem is that the gameplay is simply different. Yeah, you have different load times for things, and you may not be able to load as many models on the screen in the lobby and such... But honestly, in game I don't see it being a problem. If it's an impossibility though, they won't link them. I thought that the jury was still out on that, on whether they will or will not be linked.

DurakkenX
May 29, 2006, 12:41 PM
the problems with FFXI is not the fault of "linking" systems so much as Square wanting every connection to run the same pretty much. so it's based on a 56k connection rather than broadband

DroolinBuddie
May 29, 2006, 12:49 PM
okay this is a little bit out of da topic...but i couldnt find a post about my question....anyways...is psu online free? cause me and my friends are buggin to get a new online game and psu is in our list we want to kno if its free or not, and apparently you guys know more of da game than we do....well...over here the game didn't release yet so yeah....Email me plz: [email protected]
and offline mode, is it gonna b like PSO 1&2 were you can play freely with your own created character? or do you hav to use dat weird lookin kid ? tell me plz ^_^"

DurakkenX
May 29, 2006, 12:55 PM
Go read the FAQs...they are called FAQs for a reason...

DroolinBuddie
May 29, 2006, 12:58 PM
faqs? wth well i didnt know there was sum, -_- dont hav to b fat about it

Inazuma
May 29, 2006, 01:41 PM
psu will not be free. expect to pay around $10 a month. you will get 4 chars per account.

Its_a_name
May 29, 2006, 06:45 PM
If it is true that you can play PSU with just the silver XBL membership, then im going to get the 360 version. If not I'll just stick with my slim PS2.

hypersaxon
May 29, 2006, 11:06 PM
Wow, people still expect online for PSU to be free?!

_Tek_
May 29, 2006, 11:54 PM
I assume PSU X360 will be excellent graphics and such, but if the communities aren't linked the online community will not be as good as the others. Just like xbox1.

Saner
May 30, 2006, 01:37 AM
if I were to play online X360 version, I would only like to chat with keyboard.

I don't liek voice chat in RPGs. its already bad enough to put up with in other games.

A2K
May 30, 2006, 02:36 AM
It's possible, assuming that the servers are linked, that PS2 and PC players simply won't hear Xbox 360 players talking either because such chat will be limited to private sessions or because they chose to implement it in that way. There's no way that PS2 players can hear unless they decide to somehow implement it at the last minute (the PC version being a bit more flexible when it comes to patches).

Other Xbox Live stuff can be reconciled a bit through some sort of gateway nonsense, I imagine. (Like assigning whatever sort of ID "regular" PC/PS2 players receive and attaching it to a player's gamertag, etc.)

It's mostly dependent on how Sonic Team decides to approach it. They could possibly just go the FFXI route and say "Xbox Live be damned" and not implement a single thing for compatibility's sake. Or they could simply say "let's add what we can to the 360 version and forget about linking it". Or something inbetween... we won't really know until they release some details.

I would assume that it would only require a Silver account, although no one has any idea for certain. Not that it matters in my case--I plan on getting a Gold account anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-05-30 00:37 ]</font>

ANIMEniac
May 30, 2006, 02:40 AM
i just hope to gravy that they can do away with voice chat delay. you would tell some1 about a trap, but by the time they get the mesage they have already hit 2. MY NAXT GEN SHOULD BE LAG FREE. but yea i was hoping that they could impliment a built in voice chat to the game so that other ppl on ps2 and pc could join in if they wanted to join

A2K
May 30, 2006, 02:42 AM
That always bothered me (and made Voice Operation less fun that it should have been). Did anyone ever figure out exactly why it did that? There must have been some sort of bottleneck in the network, I imagine...

zandra117
May 30, 2006, 02:26 PM
I think the voice chat and friends list in PSOX were on a different server than the game. That's why the friends list freezes alot and the voice lag is so bad.

zandra117
May 30, 2006, 07:37 PM
Now with the room feature if an immature person starts cursing at people in the town on PSUX now we can tell the screaming kids to go to their room and scream at eachother there.

hypersaxon
May 30, 2006, 08:23 PM
Since voice chat during games is done directly through the system software and not through games like they used to be, there should be very little problems with voice lagging compared to the original Xbox.

Saner
Jun 1, 2006, 01:52 PM
On 2006-05-30 17:37, zandra117 wrote:
Now with the room feature if an immature person starts cursing at people in the town on PSUX now we can tell the screaming kids to go to their room and scream at eachother there.

since when do screaming kids ever listen to anybody. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Sha_Hua
Jun 1, 2006, 02:55 PM
It is not the game I am worried about but the hardware.

I was always a console player for it's relyability. But when playing my XBox I notice it handles like a PC in terms of reaction speed, glitches and delays. Still it is a pretty decent machine.

Now before I bought a XBox 360 I checked the rumors and announcements. I found out there is a bug in it that demises 5% of the XBox 360s within a year. Unofficial reports even say 15%, but these numbers arn't very trustworthy since this is made by polling random XBox 360 users. The only thing you can do is send your broken machine back and you will get a new one. Microsoft anounced they are aware of the problem, but not doing anything about it since 5% of there products malfunctioning is within acceptable range.

Now I don't know bout you guys but I am gonna play this game for some years probably. With the 5% malfunction chance per year I'll wait till microsoft upgrades it's hardware. This will probably take a year when cheaper technology forces microsoft to make a new version of their console.

Now my decision is also based on me having bad luck commonly, so don't let this post influence you. Just take a look and think about what it means for you.

zandra117
Jun 2, 2006, 01:12 AM
On 2006-06-01 12:55, Sha_Hua wrote:
It is not the game I am worried about but the hardware.

I was always a console player for it's relyability. But when playing my XBox I notice it handles like a PC in terms of reaction speed, glitches and delays. Still it is a pretty decent machine.

Now before I bought a XBox 360 I checked the rumors and announcements. I found out there is a bug in it that demises 5% of the XBox 360s within a year. Unofficial reports even say 15%, but these numbers arn't very trustworthy since this is made by polling random XBox 360 users. The only thing you can do is send your broken machine back and you will get a new one. Microsoft anounced they are aware of the problem, but not doing anything about it since 5% of there products malfunctioning is within acceptable range.

Now I don't know bout you guys but I am gonna play this game for some years probably. With the 5% malfunction chance per year I'll wait till microsoft upgrades it's hardware. This will probably take a year when cheaper technology forces microsoft to make a new version of their console.

Now my decision is also based on me having bad luck commonly, so don't let this post influence you. Just take a look and think about what it means for you.

that bug was only a manufacturing error in the first release. If your 360 hasnt messed up by now it wont. That bug was corrected within 2 months after the release. The malfunction was that it would eat disks.