PDA

View Full Version : last minute, do you think Xbox360 server will be unlinked or

Saner
Jun 1, 2006, 02:19 PM
well the last time they said anything about it, they mentioned that they are 'trying' to see if they can link Xbox360.

This news was after they said Xbox360 won't be linked to the other servers.

But recently they have said they are seeing if Xbox360 will be linked.

well I wonder WHEN they will officially announce whether they have determined if Xbox360 will be linked or not.

as it stands, it could go either way.
Xbox360 FF11 is linked to the other servers.
so there might be a chance the Xbox360 PSU will be linked to the other servers.

But there is also a chance it might not be linked, depending on Microsoft's decision about it. well they allowed FF11's servers to be linked to the other servers since it uses Playonline service, so maybe Microsoft had no choice in the matter anyway since a specific online service requires that service to link to the servers.

Even with Live as the in-between, unless Microsoft wants its own server for PSU, I think PSU might have a chance of being linked. I mean either way, Sega has to receive the profit from all subscribers since its their game and their servers.

but you see bringing up the FF11 subject again, that can be played with even a Silver free Live service, so maybe M$ is kind of miffed about missing out on some extra money. but then again it's not published by them and those servers are not in their control, so this makes me think about PSU's online situation.

I mean it would be natural for Xbox360 to be linked to the other servers. But who knows how the inbetween works and what's each side's opinion of how it should be setup.

the servers will continue to be run by Sega/Sonic Team so wouldn't that mean its okay for it to be linked to the other servers?

as it stands it could go either way, but if FF11 is any indication, linking X360 version to the other versions can be done. But the final decision is up to them.

so that being said, since I have Xbox360 and PS2, I would get the Xbox360 version if it's linked (but still use keyboard 100% to communicate), and would get PS2 version if Xbox360 version is not linked.

it's basically the same game, so either way is fine if they're linked
but if Xbox360 is unlinked, that would be a moderate but real disadvantage. (that would be like if PS2's FF11 was unlinked from the PC version. it would've been quite different.)

so ya what do you think their final decision will be?? I guess they will announce it around the time the Japan version is released.

Sha_Hua
Jun 1, 2006, 03:12 PM
The thing is they want live chat in the 360 version.
Linking the servers would mean they should add features to let xbox parties within the server enable voice chat. An other options is to add cities that are voice chat (360 only) or plain chat (all platforms).
To do this they will have to make new subroutines in all versions of the game.
This will lead to a small to large delay.

I think it will probably stay unlinked with the voice chat beeing a major update, even for non 360 versions. But I am glad if they do, cause the chance you mess up the whole game with a last minute update is big. And I don't want to see PSU go offline at the first week cause of problems. Waited too long for that. On the other side I will miss the 360 gamers (I got nothing against you guys).

But there is the chance that when the new windows is released there will also come a new psu version with voice chat, since MicroSchoft wants to enable live on windows as wel. The only thing then will be if our beloved Sega will make a new version (ofcourse they will).

Saner
Jun 2, 2006, 12:17 AM
well FF11 completely ignores the voice chat features and Xbox360 people still adapt to the communication enviornment.

I don't think Sonic Team shoudl waste time with full live Chat features.

I mean True Fantasy Live Online attempt to have a 100% headset chat enviornment and it was a disaster. many testers and beta-testers rejected it because it just doesn't belong in an online RPG and not everyone was comfortable with it,
but the noise traffic could not be remedied without filters and ranged reception, and EVEN THEN it isolated the community even further!!

Xbox360 has 2 USB ports it can easily use to fit a keyboard right in. I have Xbox360 and I'm not spoiled by headset chat.
If I went along with playing PSU on that system, I would always use a keyboard, it's more fun that way.

-Crokar-
Jun 2, 2006, 12:57 AM
i think the only reason people would buy the 360 version is for the voice chat. or they dont like playstation 2 or have a bad pc. but evven if i had a good pc which i do or a playstation that can get online which i do id rather have the 360 for voice chat because i hate having to type out stuff. its time consuming. i mean why type something that takes 2 minutes to type when it takes like 30 seconds to say.

Saner
Jun 2, 2006, 01:03 AM
well Im a fast typer so it's not a problem. plus its fun seeing your words onscreen. ^_^

besides it's annoying seeing a overgrown Cast sound like a 16 year old human. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

-Crokar-
Jun 2, 2006, 01:16 AM
its also annoying with text bubbles spammed all over the place

Saner
Jun 2, 2006, 03:31 AM
if you played PSO since Dreamcast, I think you would be used to it by now.

...maybe not? oh well. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

DraginHikari
Jun 2, 2006, 04:52 AM
Regardless you're always going to have people that hate one form of commuciation or another.

Rihcky
Jun 2, 2006, 08:37 AM
I think it will be unlinked. I'll be playing 360 regardless though.

Magician
Jun 2, 2006, 09:22 AM
I'm hoping for no linkage.

CaptainJebus
Jun 2, 2006, 08:50 PM
I hope we get linked, otherwise imma have to make a decision on wether i'll be on Pc/Ps2 or 360, which will suck big time. D:

Fleece
Jun 2, 2006, 09:05 PM
i mean why type something that takes 2 minutes to type when it takes like 30 seconds to say.

What the hell do you type that takes 2 minutes?

ChemicalO
Jun 2, 2006, 10:21 PM
i want voice chat, so 360 and unlinked i hope

hypersaxon
Jun 2, 2006, 10:23 PM
In my opinion, they should only enable voice chat for people who are in a party together. Things would probably get too hectic on the servers if a bunch of 360 gamers were all grouped together trying to talk at the same time. Like someone said above, games like True Fantasy got really messed up because of the voice chat thing. In PSOX it wasn't too much of a problem because only a certain number of people could be in a lobby at once, but in PSU there's going to be many people in the same place all at once. So I think they should just have voice chat available for when you're in a party.

Alisha
Jun 2, 2006, 10:42 PM
from what ive heard so far voice chat is over rated. from what ive heard so far voice chat on xbox live is barely better than alien front online.anyone thats actually prefers the 360 version is messed in the head.

ChemicalO
Jun 2, 2006, 10:46 PM
just because you get the 360 version, you dont have to use voice chat, and the 360 version will look better than the ps2 and most pc, so why would i be messed up in the head

Cetus
Jun 2, 2006, 10:47 PM
Well i bought a XBOX 360 for this game and other one...and i wish they link the server together and they should put the voice chat but that the system recognize PC and PS2 User form 360 one and enable you to talk only in party like hypersaxon said.As it wouldn't be pleaseant to have a noise filled lobby,but by linking the game together you still have to type for other player who are on the other platform which could be unpleasent to them as it wouldn't be fair as XBOX 360 user could do strategy faster and call for help faster thant other whic explain the seperate server...

HyperShot-X-
Jun 3, 2006, 01:38 PM
this is not a simple decision to make as we go deeper & deeper into all possiblities concerning the best outcome for every PSU fans, i bet even ST themselves r not sure which way would be the best way to go as yet since it was announced at E3 that the decision to link servers is NOT finallized, probably i think they will leave this decision till the last minute before game gets released on x360 after porting the game over is completed along w/ voice chat capability(lag free) & other enhancements.

What many of us XLivers would not want could be the possibility of sacrificing optimum online experience advantage on next gen capability system with XLive exclusive features built in-game, for the price of linking the servers to be able to play along with massive population under same online maintenence and content update...but without taking full advantage of what 360 is capable of.

One possible way for improvement i can think of would be server-side saved acct. transferrable across muti-platform, if it's even possible at all.

Since there has not been enuff info revealed to make reasonable decision on this matter, i remain undecided, hmmm.

Kers
Jun 3, 2006, 01:48 PM
thou shal not have linkage.

PSU 360 forever!!

Saner
Jun 3, 2006, 11:14 PM
well it seems some Xbox360 owners prefer an isolated server.

ah well. PS2 it is then.

PJ
Jun 3, 2006, 11:23 PM
It's weird that the people going for PS2/PC would like linked servers, but the ones who spent $350 on XBox 360 (I actually have no idea how much it costs) are wanting unlinked servers.

Odd http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Saner
Jun 3, 2006, 11:26 PM
On 2006-06-03 21:23, PJ wrote:
It's weird that the people going for PS2/PC would like linked servers, but the ones who spent $350 on XBox 360 (I actually have no idea how much it costs) are wanting unlinked servers.

Odd http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I have a Xbox360 too and I would like linked servers. but ya many X360's are spoiled by headset chat, some adore their little trashtalk sessions through people's ears. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Cetus
Jun 4, 2006, 05:10 PM
Well they should relly link the server together but disable the voice chat.anyway Xbox360 player could always talk together via the private chat chanel..So sega should,nt waste time to include it microsoft had done it built into the system.The only thing we should do is had other PSU Player Gametag and talk together throught Private Chat easy as that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
I want Linked server.... whit PC/PS2/XBOX 360 I bought the 360 because on long terme was more benefical for me thant to pay 200$ for a PS2 i would only use for one game..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cetus on 2006-06-04 15:12 ]</font>