PDA

View Full Version : That censor sytem has got to go...

ShinMaruku
Jun 3, 2006, 11:20 PM
I need to have some real fun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMaruku on 2006-06-03 21:21 ]</font>

Saner
Jun 3, 2006, 11:22 PM
you have to be kidding, they won't allow censored words and stuff because that would offend people and that is not a positive thing for an online community.

Inazuma
Jun 3, 2006, 11:23 PM
psu does not censor words like basement and shoes anymore but...
they censor seperated cuss words now. for example, "fu ck" would be censored -_-

everyone get your fu.cking periods ready, they still work well.

ShinMaruku
Jun 3, 2006, 11:39 PM
Why notnthe option to not have it or have it..

justinbrady
Jun 3, 2006, 11:49 PM
i agree. i dont get offended by words.

_Tek_
Jun 3, 2006, 11:55 PM
its basically pointless since people get around it by changing I's to 1's, and other leet styles.

AzureBlaze
Jun 4, 2006, 12:01 AM
The censor IS better this time around, though!
I remembered hating on that damm thing so bad in all the PSOs because it was SHEER INCOMPETENCE to release a billion versions of the game and NEVER FIX IT. I mean, it was the lazyest thing that proved to heck that ST just phailed at careing about the USA ver of the game...They should've had that thing in the bag since dreamcast v2, but they've kept it the same all the way thru BB...there is no damm excuse.

Satahday. Damm. Shoos. Spaciifically. Farrtther away.
I took the opportunity in a quiet corner of PSU to try shouting some (correctly spelled) versions of the above, and for the most part they've got it right. I did a post about it, but it went far off this page. Krack still must have 2 'k's, though.

As for the reason, it's to keep the game's rating down and allow everyone to buy it. You don't want PSU to be stuck "Rated M" because it'd make it too hard to buy. If they censor the main swears they can at least throw a "T for teen" on it with the 'content changes for online play' disclaimer because they know everyone is going to put period and space etc. and just say it anyway--but they can say they tried.

Tycho
Jun 4, 2006, 02:36 AM
Got someone who could translate this request into proper Japanese?
How about if we were to have just about everyone submit it on this page (http://phantasystaruniverse.com/usersvoice.html)? They're actually waiting for requests for improvements, so, if people are going to massively complain about it, this might work, right?

SirenV
Jun 4, 2006, 02:45 AM
Well, I think a filter would be best. Number one, yes they have to default block the language. But another thing as well - the community in its entirety is not composed of 20-somethings living alone. Its not as big of an issue for me now becuase I can play it in my room or at college, but growing up playing Phantasy Star there'd be times where I'd have to try and find a safe lobby when my mother was present, and there was not much more annoying than that.

Of course parents have an obligational tendency to blow things like that out of proportion so becuase some jerk couldn't express himself in more than two words (or made some heinously obnoxious symbol in symbol chat) I had to take the big run-around. I wasnt fortunate enough to have a tv/internet connection in my room, or be alone all the time. Those words have their place - but a filter'd be best, so maybe we wouldnt have need of as many perioded words flying past the radar.

Saner
Jun 4, 2006, 03:15 AM
it wouldn't hurt for them to expand their vocabulary, than blaming censorship for 'limitations'. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

kassy
Jun 4, 2006, 11:05 AM
Glad they fixed the censorship this time round, really it's 'bout time.

An option to turn off swear word filtering would be nice, but I presume ST is never going to have that option, being that they probably must make the swear word filter mandatory to adhere to a particular age rating, but then again other games which are rated teen (like WoW) have the option of turning off the swear filter, so I don't know, maybe ST just don't think swearing suits an their online community.

At any rate it’s nothing to worry about, I mean do you really care about having a filter? those who still wish to swear can and will, by use of full stops or whatever methods, the only thing that p'd me off about PSO was that I couldn't say seemingly normal words if they part of their make up was deemed as an offensive word, finally I can regale other players with tales of my “shoes” I like to wear on “Saturdays“ in my “basement“, haha.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kassy on 2006-06-04 09:07 ]</font>

zandra117
Jun 4, 2006, 11:15 AM
Did anyone ever figure out what ZOB meant? It censors ZOB in pso.

Saffran
Jun 4, 2006, 11:27 AM
Zob means dick in arab and slang french

Kyunji
Jun 4, 2006, 11:35 AM
On 2006-06-04 09:15, zandra117 wrote:
Did anyone ever figure out what ZOB meant? It censors ZOB in pso.

http://www.google.com/search?q=slang+zob

Because we all know that all PSO players live in France.

ShinMaruku
Jun 4, 2006, 04:19 PM
That thing needs to go. People love to try thign and thus some rightfully die from suchgh foolishness