PDA

View Full Version : PSU>WoW?

tikigod13
Jun 4, 2006, 07:50 PM
Do you think PSU will get more popular or really popular to fight WoW or destroy WoW in player numbers. It looks like it.

Kyuu
Jun 4, 2006, 07:53 PM
I honestly doubt it. Not because I don't think PSU is a better game than WoW... I think it definitely, 100% without a doubt is. However, I don't think it will attain the same popularity... fewer people are followers of the Phantasy Star series than are followers of the Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo series of Blizzard. It's just one of those great injustices, that so many should be ignorant of the amazingness of PSU. *weeps for the world* =P

Edit: Don't forget to factor in SoA's indisputable suckiness for promoting its games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-06-04 17:55 ]</font>

A2K
Jun 4, 2006, 07:55 PM
I think PSU will get pretty popular in its happy little niche of action RPG-ness but you have to realize how friggin' popular WoW actually is at the moment--among MMOs it holds around 50% of the entire market, the other half being divvied up between others.

tikigod13
Jun 4, 2006, 07:56 PM
dude i know what you are talkin about. PSU looks funner then WoW. But WoW friends are just like "That game looks like crap"

Ether
Jun 4, 2006, 08:01 PM
WoW is the most popular English MMO ever, PSU wont even dent is, regardless of it being a better game or not

ShadowTH1000
Jun 4, 2006, 08:01 PM
On 2006-06-04 17:53, Kyuu wrote:
I honestly doubt it. Not because I don't think PSU is a better game than WoW... I think it definitely, 100% without a doubt is. However, I don't think it will attain the same popularity... fewer people are followers of the Phantasy Star series than are followers of the Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo series of Blizzard. It's just one of those great injustices, that so many should be ignorant of the amazingness of PSU. *weeps for the world* =P

Edit: Don't forget to factor in SoA's indisputable suckiness for promoting its games.

yeah I think its going to be the same too, PSU will never reach WoW status. Its not that I don't like PSU, its just that WoW is TOO popular

tikigod13
Jun 4, 2006, 08:06 PM
yup

Alisha
Jun 4, 2006, 08:18 PM
i'm not even sure psu will reach the popularity that the original pso for dreamcast had since that game was free to play online

Asim
Jun 4, 2006, 08:21 PM
Dave Chappelle plays WoW. Um... Kefka [will] play PSU, hmm. I think PSU will be less popular, regardless of how many advertisements and commercials ST spurts on kiddy channels.

ANIMEniac
Jun 4, 2006, 08:34 PM
i think what will hapen is that a relatively small amount of people will get this game first, PSOW and other PS fans, then they will tell their friends who might get it. then it goes to EGM and X-play where hopefuly thay talk about what an amazing game this is and more start to get it. however hardcore fanboys tend to be blind to common sense so those of WOW woll always try to be defensive and trash on anything that threatens their baby. so as i hope iw will be mentioned in the same breath as EQ, WoW, and Guild Wars, realisticly i cant hope for it to crush them in play numbers.

justinbrady
Jun 4, 2006, 08:42 PM
OMG. great question. PSU wont touch wow's popularity even though it is a better game. many of my friends play wow and wont pay the time of day to watch a PSU trailer because they dont recognize the game or type of gamplay. most americans love wow because it is a game u can easily conquer w/o much effort...and i will admit i did fall victim to it. however PSU is a much bigger game and you cant really max out without tremendous effort making the game more fun and almost impossible to get old. wow does offer some very eye friendly graphics that easily flow in movies though...which i think worked well. i spent an equal amount of time playing the game as i did watching/making PvP movies. also PSU attacks seem more epic at lvl 1 then at lvl 60 for wow, along with the clothing but all in all...the american mainstream will stick to wow...and conquer the game in 5 mins.

Inazuma
Jun 4, 2006, 08:43 PM
being the best doesnt always mean it will be the most popular.

justinbrady
Jun 4, 2006, 08:47 PM
thats what i just said...or what i meant. lol

Authenticate
Jun 4, 2006, 08:49 PM
Popularity is a double edged sword. More people = More stupid people.

DraginHikari
Jun 4, 2006, 08:53 PM
Even though WoW has the largest overall population, you'll always have people who don't like or have people who often times game-hop, and sometimes even those people that evenually get bored with WoW or whatever else there playing... you'll have people come and go on any online game most of the time. I personally have never like WoW for many reasons of my own.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DraginHikari on 2006-06-04 18:54 ]</font>

justinbrady
Jun 4, 2006, 08:56 PM
the thign with that is...if people get bored of wow...burning legion is coming out around the same time as PSU.

DraginHikari
Jun 4, 2006, 08:59 PM
*shrugs* I know nothing about it... as a gamer I don't have a large selection of games I like in general anyway.

Uri
Jun 4, 2006, 09:00 PM
It would by some act of God but in all honesty I doubt it. It will be popular, no doubt. But compared to Blizzard's juggernaut it doesn't stand a chance popularity-wise.

HiKeRI
Jun 4, 2006, 09:34 PM
WoW = PvP and loaded on a big adventure and widebattle grounds
PSU= No real PvP, Repetive(I didnt mind this though but others will), No mass Battles(Mass as in FFXI HNM style) etc Asked my friend that is an WoW addict on what he thought of the game and what he said was "Looks like the game focused more on the Character Customization then the gameplay" PSU for me is a chill and hang around game that made me interest of it doing same thing over and over without getting bored but not many people are the same as us on this forum. Wow is better yeah, but PSU is just "fun"

justinbrady
Jun 4, 2006, 09:36 PM
i agree with hiker. it is a game where you spend a lot of time jsut chatting with friends in the lobby

Ferali
Jun 4, 2006, 09:42 PM
On 2006-06-04 18:49, Authenticate wrote:
Popularity is a double edged sword. More people = More stupid people.

QFT. A lot of people is exactly what we don't want. PSO has a good community as is.

DurakkenX
Jun 4, 2006, 09:49 PM
"Looks like the game focused more on the Character Customization then the gameplay"

In other words it focused on the...OMG?! *shock* RPG elements?

That's an inaccurate statement as well..They're confusing gameplay with world map. The game play is more expansive than WoW

What pisses me off about WoW is that it is graphically ugly, mind you not resolution or flowing or FPS, but the actual design of most of the things in the game are ugly and WoW is a game that is so unorginal that i can several free versions of the same game that are far superior design wise and custimization depth. I can see no reason to even bother with it when there are dozens of free versions that offer the exact if not better content.

PSU/PSO for what it's worth is original and is near perfection in what i could ask of it for a current generation of MMOs... It doesn't matter though

justinbrady
Jun 4, 2006, 09:52 PM
i hated wows graphics for gameplay...but they do flow/fit wonderfully in movies.

Ferali
Jun 4, 2006, 09:54 PM
I'm sorry, but the graphics isn't the only flaw to WoW.

Kyuu
Jun 4, 2006, 09:55 PM
Aye, I don't understand how anyone could compare the combat in WoW or any EQ-style game with the combat in PSU and actually think that the EQ-clone actually has a better combat system. It just doesn't take long before the combat in WoW and all those becomes an absolute snooze-fest. And when you're in those huge 40-man raids, it's MORE boring, because you never have to do anything but repeat a single action over and over. And many of the raid bosses have this amazing gameplay concept where one type of class is COMPLETELY useless, and has to stand there doing nothing the entire fight. Fun stuff, huh?

HiKeRI
Jun 4, 2006, 09:55 PM
Don't act like a fanatic what he said was true, what makes a game live is PvP and the Hang out magic PSO had but more likely the PvP, PSU wont attract others on some causes and WoW got crappy looks but got the PvP and perfect one in that case people wont mind of the graphics because i personally think its not that horrible

justinbrady
Jun 4, 2006, 09:57 PM
omg. i know. i love having 39 other people telling me when to get on. i couldnt even have a social life. i like playing when i want to play and still be able to do other things while advancing my char all the same. also PSU combat looks fast paced

Ferali
Jun 4, 2006, 10:00 PM
On 2006-06-04 19:55, HiKeRI wrote:
Don't act like a fanatic what he said was true, what makes a game live is PvP and the Hang out magic PSO had but more likely the PvP, PSU wont attract others on some causes and WoW got crappy looks but got the PvP and perfect one in that case people wont mind of the graphics because i personally think its not that horrible

I lol'd. Uh, no, WoW has terrible, unbalanced PvP. That's not even my opinion. That's a factoid.

justinbrady
Jun 4, 2006, 10:02 PM
i agree. its hilarious how some classes can be in all blues and pwn classes in all purples.

HiKeRI
Jun 4, 2006, 10:03 PM
People seems to like it, if they like it and million of people like it you can't say nothing bad about it, because FFXI > WoW yeah but there PvP makes WoW > FFXI even if FFXI is near perfect on everything.

CaptainJebus
Jun 4, 2006, 10:05 PM
Honestly WoW's PvP Sucks anyway. But WoW got boring fast. Point & Click is so.. interactive! Ehh. WoW is very unoriginal, plus the only character customization is horrid. I accually favor Maple Story over it. PSU will no doubt be popular, sure not liek WoW, but then lets hope we wont suffer the same fates as WoW. Gold farming, complete n00bs, and overall, lacking gameplay. PSU looks like I will turn off the game with a smile. Wow, I turned off the game sighing, bored. D:

Ferali
Jun 4, 2006, 10:05 PM
People like it because it's casual, which apparently was an huge untapped niche in the market, as well as the fact that it was Blizzard, and once a bunch of people started playing it, it snowballs (ala Law of Tipping Point, "Tipping Point").

Kyuu
Jun 4, 2006, 10:06 PM
On 2006-06-04 20:00, Ferali wrote:

I lol'd. Uh, no, WoW has terrible, unbalanced PvP. That's not even my opinion. That's a factoid.

That's for damn sure. The classes are balanced so poorly for PvP it's impressive they managed to mangle it so badly without actively trying to make it suck. It's still mildly fun for a while, but when you get killed for 4 millionth time without ever actually having control of your character for more than half a second during the fight (if you don't get one-shotted and the fight actually lasts that long), you kind of wonder what the hell you're doing playing this game. Not to mention Blizzard is making it progressively worse with their class "reviews" and new itemization, rather than better.

Edit: I don't care how popular something is, that doesn't mean there aren't bad things about it, or even that it isn't craptastic. I mean honestly, how many of the most popular music groups in America over the past decade have actually had any talent? Not as many as it should be. Also, yeah... WoW's character customization was just poor. Even compared to PSOv1's customization, WoW still comes up lacking.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-06-04 20:13 ]</font>

HiKeRI
Jun 4, 2006, 10:13 PM
Well what makes the game is the game not the company, you dont go around checking "hey its blizzard ill buy this and this.. hey look ill buy that too!" they buy it for what they are looking for and if it haves Pvp even if its a crappy one but with some looks to it'll make the game better. Because if its because of something good ill just return back to FFXI and stay there but been to much got bored and im looking for something new 4 Lv75's max merits etc now boring

WoW is not about Char cust btw, its just gameplay so your mixing PSU DOT with WoW.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HiKeRI on 2006-06-04 20:20 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Jun 4, 2006, 10:24 PM
Well with FFXI the problem was more so the upper level community was garbage. If you pissed someone in the HNMLSs you were screwed getting past 70+ Even if you had a great reputation in skill and personality if the right people didn't like you or your job you simply couldn't play more than half the content of the game. I had that problem and i wasted $40 on an expansion i could do nothing with.

With WoW...it pure and simple it's engine is on so many other games that it's not even funny. I would never pay for that type of game with such a bad community. WoW only has numbers because it was produced by Blizzard and because it has the name "warcraft" in it. Not because it's actually a good game.

CoH/CoV is a far superior game and it is relatively the exact same game as WoW

PSU/O is quite frankly a great game for most players because you can jump in and out how you please and whenever and still be able to find a game and be able to play no matter how much or how little you play or even when you play.

Ferali
Jun 4, 2006, 10:24 PM
Actually, a lot of people do look for titles. Why do you think people follow Square-Enix?

And true, WoW isn't about char cust, but that's no excuse to have it lacking. Char cust is a feature that makes a game appealable, it's part of the package, like the graphics and the sound are. And that's why we criticize it.

Ferali
Jun 4, 2006, 10:28 PM
I think some WoW players will jump ship for exactly that reason. PSU is sort of a casual experience and easy to get into, from the look of it. Of course most people who have played WoW for awhile won't leave, who really wants to leave the characters they spent so long on? But I think we'll be seeing a few WoW defecters... if that's a good thing.

justinbrady
Jun 4, 2006, 10:31 PM
WoW is full of noobs and kids because by the time you get to 60 you still havent mastered the game...

HiKeRI
Jun 4, 2006, 10:32 PM
You fail on FFXI then, because i made myself up to the top without an HNMLS, i worked as a merc. giving my services to other HNMLS's on killing this and that (Vrtra, Tiamat etc how to kill, how the battle works) giving fame to them gave me fame aswell and lots lots of money got offered HNMLS but thats crappy having a mindless leader giving you orders, how i got Kirins osode and suchs? Using the millions i got from the merc services and not crappy money im saying 20-30millions for giving fame to a ls on killing Vrtra for less than an Hr. But yes on my opinion PSU is great and all but never compare this game with others it just dont fits well its like comparing Hip Hop with Hardcore the people wont ever agree with an answer.

justinbrady
Jun 4, 2006, 10:33 PM
once again hiker i agree.

Ferali
Jun 4, 2006, 10:36 PM
Twinsies.

DurakkenX
Jun 4, 2006, 10:52 PM
different servers are ran differently hikeri and different jobs don't have that benefit. which are both very major probs with FFXI....

Warrior is the hardest job to level to max and it is the most thankless most aggrivating most unapriciated most misunderstood job of the game. A warrior is virtually useless at any HNM event.

Ferali
Jun 4, 2006, 10:55 PM
On 2006-06-04 20:52, DurakkenX wrote:
different servers are ran differently hikeri and different jobs don't have that benefit. which are both very major probs with FFXI....

Warrior is the hardest job to level to max and it is the most thankless most aggrivating most unapriciated most misunderstood job of the game. A warrior is virtually useless at any HNM event.

Warrior can hit 10k/hr in axe burn. And War/nin is great tank for HNMS.

Evan101
Jun 4, 2006, 10:56 PM
Dave Chappelle plays WoW! dude thats crazy.

HiKeRI
Jun 4, 2006, 11:04 PM
You fail once again, im a WAR, SAM, MNK, DRK 75, dont tell me that they are useless, because SE's main point is to give every job something to do on a Mob, Tanking or DD's ..... If you focused on not getting there full potential (get Axe, Sword, GA capped and skills) then you just wasted your time buddy, because even DRG's that most people think they are worthless they have usefull DOT on the game that no one uses.

And all servers are ran the same because they aim for the same thing and haves the same problems (gillsellers bot's Economy) People and such? dont make me laugh what you say of you got bad rep you lose... Those people were treated the worst because you didnt manage to hide anger or just loosing fate, beleive me i knew people like this and they ended up being the best on the server.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HiKeRI on 2006-06-04 21:08 ]</font>

Ferali
Jun 4, 2006, 11:06 PM
Whoa haha, you're so angry.

Eifersucht
Jun 4, 2006, 11:08 PM
You underestimate the legions of unwavering Blizz fanboys. I played WoW for a long while, and looking back on it, it was the least fun online experience ever. It was fun while you were leveling to 60, but endgame just got far too time consuming. I find it surprizing that so many casual gamers get into WoW, seeing as though when you reach the end of the leveling game, the only thing left to do is either raid instance, taking 12 hours out of your day, normal instance, or PVP in the oh-so-repetitive battlegrounds. Its a shame that Blizzard has been consumed by their own MMORPG. I actually wouldve liked to have seen a true Starcraft sequel, or another Diablo, or ::gasp:: a new Warcraft RTS http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. So, no, PSU wont become a 6,000,000+ subscriber game, but it will certainly be more fun and have more replay value.

Ferali
Jun 4, 2006, 11:10 PM
On 2006-06-04 21:08, Eifersucht wrote:
You underestimate the legions of unwavering Blizz fanboys. I played WoW for a long while, and looking back on it, it was the least fun online experience ever. It was fun while you were leveling to 60, but endgame just got far too time consuming. I find it surprizing that so many casual gamers get into WoW, seeing as though when you reach the end of the leveling game, the only thing left to do is either raid instance, taking 12 hours out of your day, normal instance, or PVP in the oh-so-repetitive battlegrounds. Its a shame that Blizzard has been consumed by their own MMORPG. I actually wouldve liked to have seen a true Starcraft sequel, or another Diablo, or ::gasp:: a new Warcraft RTS http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. So, no, PSU wont become a 6,000,000+ subscriber game, but it will certainly be more fun and have more replay value.

Well said. QFT.

Alisha
Jun 4, 2006, 11:16 PM
On 2006-06-04 20:55, Ferali wrote:

On 2006-06-04 20:52, DurakkenX wrote:

Warrior can hit 10k/hr in axe burn. And War/nin is great tank for HNMS.

10k/hour is weak granted i'm a monk but i can easily get 16-17k/hour

DurakkenX
Jun 4, 2006, 11:16 PM
Actually i could do more. I was insanely good. and HNMs... it doesn't matter if you can't get to them and you can't do HNMs as a lvl 73- war/nin. war/nin is only able to do that at 74+ and being one of the most hated persons on the server results in not being able to get into HNMLSs which mean can't get into fight HNMs.

and after a while you get bored sitting around 8+ hours a day for a party. Having the best gear you can get and being the best at the job and doesn't matter if noone thinks the job is very useful. Yes i was literally the best warrior or one of the top warriors on the server according to most high level players and HNMLSs. It ended up because I couldn't get into an organized higher lvl LS I couldn't get a few things which mean I couldn't get into HNMLSs ^.^ So on top of the hate I had to deal with the not being able to get things...i could get things if i waited 6months or so to get it so the rest of my LS could catch up, but why do that? I'm paying for the game to play the game....

And trust me...i tried to do zilart mission a number of time only to fail repeatedly because the other people kept messing up. Eventually you just give up on games like that.

That's why any MAJOR advancement in where you can get to or personal gear or anything like that should not be "group events" AF for warrior requires a hell of a lot of friends and begging.

HiKeRI
Jun 4, 2006, 11:23 PM
Well my opinion on getting in a party is, 90% of the people on the server just sit and wait to be invited, if everyone is doing that how will you end up in one? Just make your own etc, and btw zilart are weak never needed full party of black mages to take those down that just takes your fun away, that what makes me do strat and stuffs, and you did 16-17k and hour because you prolly went on for bones only like always anyway.

_Tek_
Jun 4, 2006, 11:34 PM
I just like ps series because its futuristic, but colorful and stylish at the same time.

like technology meets magic.

I just don't really like games with a medievil aspect.

DraginHikari
Jun 4, 2006, 11:37 PM
Meh once again I have to mostly say this comes down to a matter of opinion. I don't particular care for WoW or most MMORPGs in general. I prefer playing in a party of a few people then particating in massive raids or whatever they called. Not to mention Casual Play and fun that I've had with PSO and I believe I'll have with PSU. Nor do I like clicky-click on my mouse kind of games... I just don't have any intrest in such games.

Then it kinda comes down to some of this attitude I don't really care for... I don't think there's anything wrong with any game really and if people want to play it that fine... but I hate it when people feel the need to feel superior but saying people suck because they don't like this or that game

DurakkenX
Jun 4, 2006, 11:38 PM
I know the zilart missions are easy it's just getting a group together to do them for me. And getting a party together is insanely hard because there were often only a certain number of people that could work together without a good LS.

I forget my dmg/hr xp/hr ratios but they were any where from 200/hr to lvling every few hours for xp. and DMG i had to cut back on most of the time because i wasn't set for tanking most of the time and it really messes up the overall dmg at that point to switch between the two. Most of the time I had to pull way back off what i could do and only a few people could keep enmity up at my max. There were times I took took off everything all power buffs and such and still was out damaging and out hating all the other people.

The worst part of the game isn't even all that...it's that most people began having horrable personalities after a while that were usually nice or started off nice and by the time they got to a certain point and were just very pissy and angry.

HiKeRI
Half medievil, they have Ninjas and suchs and medievil with computers and devices dont make up lol each job haves a story

Ferali
I agree that medieval is sorta overdone with american mmo market.

Ferali
Jun 4, 2006, 11:39 PM
Half medievil, they have Ninjas and suchs and medievil with computers and devices dont make up lol each job haves a story

What?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ferali on 2006-06-04 21:40 ]</font>

HiKeRI
Jun 4, 2006, 11:42 PM
Pissy and angry or just anciouss and stuck on the "That item is great i want it first" part, and once they have that they go "Im uber and your not, you suck your a noob and dont come close to me because you dont look like me, and i got the best HNMLS on the server so STFU" and im talking about best friends here, and they ended up needing help. So i do agree with you on that one

Half as in its not a total medieval game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HiKeRI on 2006-06-04 21:44 ]</font>

justinbrady
Jun 4, 2006, 11:44 PM
wow was fun 1-59. once you hit 60 the fun quickly ends. the burning legion will be the same 61-69 will be a blast i am sure but after that the fun halts once again. PSU is better because most people dont max out and keep advancing their char...which is the point of an RPG.

Ferali
Jun 4, 2006, 11:44 PM
It's just drama... all mmo have it, on either micro (*cough* parties *cought) or macro (*cough* guilds *cough) levels.

kassy
Jun 4, 2006, 11:52 PM
Do you think PSU will get more popular or really popular to fight WoW or destroy WoW in player numbers. It looks like it.

No, it won't and no, it doesn't.

I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of this thread, they're two very different games which have gotten grouped into the same category of MORPG.

Which is "better" is entirely subjective, and which is more fun is all down to personal opinion, WoW is a great game, I prefer the PS series myself, mainly due to the art direction, but I can recognise that WoW is a good game, I hate when PSO players knock WoW when the majority of PSO players who are out to bash it have either never played it, or only played it briefly.

Again I’ll say they're two VERY different games, I find it best not to compare things such as the combat system being that they‘re very different and are a matter of taste. To end; as much as PSO fanatics love knocking WoW's flaws, the fact is PSO has just as many highly comparative flaws.

DurakkenX
Jun 4, 2006, 11:57 PM
WoW disgusted me from the very beginning...

I think the primary thing in any RPG is customability and the ability to continuously advance your character uniquely... PSU is currently looking to be the best at this...

Ferali
Jun 4, 2006, 11:57 PM
On 2006-06-04 21:52, kassy wrote:

I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of this thread, they're two very different games which have gotten grouped into the same category of MORPG.

Which is "better" is entirely subjective, and which is more fun is all down to personal opinion, WoW is a great game, I prefer the PS series myself, mainly due to the art direction, but I can recognise that WoW is a good game, I hate when PSO players knock WoW when the majority of PSO players who are out to bash it have either never played it, or only played it briefly.

Again I’ll say they're two VERY different games, I find it best not to compare things such as the combat system being that they‘re very different and are a matter of taste. To end; as much as PSO fanatics love knocking WoW's flaws, the fact is PSO has just as many highly comparative flaws.

Uh ... what?

Why do you care if you knock it's flaws. We knock it because almost all of us here don't like WoW.. At all. And we're not obligated to give an objective view. I'm sorry you're offended, but you're going to have to deal.

PSO has flaws. Yes. We like the game anyways, because it was fun. But this is the PSU boards. We're looking for an improved installment in the series. I don't see where you're going with knocking something created 6-7 years ago (that's PSO).

HiKeRI
Jun 4, 2006, 11:59 PM
Shes not offended just saying the truth..

Alisha
Jun 5, 2006, 12:00 AM

your sig inspired me to go caseal instead of beast. XD

Ferali
Jun 5, 2006, 12:01 AM
On 2006-06-04 21:59, HiKeRI wrote:
Shes not offended just saying the truth..

That's opinion, not truth. Plus she's contradicting her disdain for personal opinion by forcing her opinion that she hates people who knock WoW.

EDIT: This is me realizing I'm sort of starting a flame war. I'm not going to sit here and argue my point, you can PM me if you want to talk about it further.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ferali on 2006-06-04 22:03 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Jun 5, 2006, 12:03 AM
the question in the topic is "is PSU greater than WoW?" and in that question it is.

If i made a game, which i may be able to do in the coming years to me it'll make all previously "great" MMO"RPG"s utter crap. It's because I care about the RPG part and not so much the MMO part. an RPG that isn't MMO isn't really an RPG and most MMORPGs aren't really RPGs >.> so I don't consider any of them all that great.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DurakkenX on 2006-06-04 22:06 ]</font>

HiKeRI
Jun 5, 2006, 12:05 AM
No .... She's not forcing that opinion what she is saying is that. You hate/Dislike WoW then forget about it and not bash at it, because comparing two different games is pathetic and worthless and not Hates people, she said She hates "when" people knock WoW for suchs

Ferali
Jun 5, 2006, 12:09 AM
PM that ish.

ANIMEniac
Jun 5, 2006, 12:14 AM
earlier in this topic ppl were talking about custimazation and all and i say PSU is hitting it off very well. now correct me if im rong but in an online RPG you play the role of a character in the game, wouldent you want to be as unique as possible so that you might stand out and not be confused with the masses. where on wow, GW, and prolly EQ you just see other dwarfs, humans, elves or just another elementalist, or druid, or warior. in PSU while you are in the towns you will see other people. yea you will se their race and all, but you wont be able to tell their class just by what they wear, forcing one to see many individuals on a game, and not just a gagle of hunters or warriors. i guess wow dosent really need it b/c after the initial creation, all any one will ever see is class and race, possibly skin color.

also, the systems of fighting are different. in pso i almost always felt like i was in a battle b/c you must actively attack, cast, and dodge attacks. you were actualy forced to learn more about the enimies (or i was) b/c not only of their strengths and weaknesses, but hot they act and move in combat. and the great thing was that this wasent a chore, you would learn by whatching how it attacks and such and not memorizing that this cansels this and this might cause this and this. fighting a delsaber is much different than fighting a Ill Gil, tho they r both humanoid. and if you ever fought pofuly slimes, by trial and error you could gess what techs and attacks mad them split. where as on point any click games like... well like all the popular mmos out there, you need to know is what spells and moves an enemy has and what moves stop it or combos work on your end, more like a very active and fastpaced cardbattle. personaly i dont like running from an enemy on GW and then while im 10 feet away they swing their arm and still somehow hit me.

edited for some disgusting typos -_-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ANIMEniac on 2006-06-04 22:35 ]</font>

Ferali
Jun 5, 2006, 12:16 AM
^ I think you just named my two favorite features of PSU.

Eifersucht
Jun 5, 2006, 12:38 AM
On 2006-06-04 22:16, Ferali wrote:
^ I think you just named my two favorite features of PSU.

Jawohl, I agree. Customization, action packed gameplay and replay value are what will make this game more fun to play than WoW. I also like that ANIMEniac pointed out that there will be more individuals that you recognize. As much as I liked how my Undead warlock looked, he was just another UD warlock. I think the community will also benefit from being able to recognize people from their characters face/body style.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eifersucht on 2006-06-04 22:40 ]</font>

Alisha
Jun 5, 2006, 12:44 AM
one things for sure. PSU has way better graphics,at least as far as character models are concerned.

Shadow_Wing
Jun 5, 2006, 01:02 AM
I feel that PSU will get the same sort of popularity as something like the CoV/H, or CoX as we call it, type of popularity. However will PSU ever beat WoW, of course not. Since I play the CoX series I'm quite used to the customizability of characters, and quite frankly love that aspect of it.

On the aspect of if one is better than the other, I can honestly say it's better if my friends play it. I've played numerous MMOs, and as different, contect heavy, and exp grinding they are; they all eventually get boring and repeative. Yes so maybe the mobs have different tatics, it's only a matter of time till you memorize it all; however, it's just that much more enjoyable with people you know.

Kyuu
Jun 5, 2006, 01:25 AM

Which is "better" is entirely subjective, and which is more fun is all down to personal opinionYes, that's right. However, I don't recall subjective opinion being disallowed on this message board.
WoW is a great gameWhile I can and will bash WoW a lot, I am not saying it's a terrible game. However, I wouldn't say it's really a great game either. More of a rather good game that is being sent down the drain by poor decision making on Blizzard's part.
I hate when PSO players knock WoW when the majority of PSO players who are out to bash it have either never played it, or only played it briefly.I played WoW extensively. It was my exclusive game for months and months. My main is a level 60 dual-wield fury warrior with Zul'Gurub, Ahn'Quiraj, and Molten Core epics in most slots. The guild I raided with is actually progressing quickly through Blackwing Lair now, but I stopped playing just before then. I've also gotten up to Knight-Lieutenant in the horrendous grind fest known as the honor system. So, I'd say I've played WoW extensively enough to bash it knowledgably.

Yeah, they're two different games, but two things being different doesn't mean one person can't discuss the pros and cons of one versus the other. You can say it's like comparing apples and oranges, but I'll tell you that I like apple juice better than orange juice (except in the morning).

This is a PSO/U forum, so you have to expect that opinions will tend toward support of PSU and bashing of its competitors.

Edit: Oh, and I'm a WoW defectee! Bwahahahahahahahhahahah! ... Of course, I was a huge PSO fan/addict long before I picked up WoW.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-06-04 23:26 ]</font>

Hrith
Jun 5, 2006, 05:55 AM
Seeing as 90% of the WoW population are atrocious n00bs, I certainly hope PSU will be less popular.

DraginHikari
Jun 5, 2006, 06:18 AM
That really kinda what you get more population equals more... less then intellgence players.

kassy
Jun 5, 2006, 10:52 AM
On 2006-06-04 23:25, Kyuu wrote:
Yes, that's right. However, I don't recall subjective opinion being disallowed on this message board.

Lol, I forgot I was on the internet, where people tend not to argue things objectively, my bad, lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

WoW is a great game

While I can and will bash WoW a lot, I am not saying it's a terrible game. However, I wouldn't say it's really a great game either. More of a rather good game that is being sent down the drain by poor decision making on Blizzard's part.

Fair enough, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif, my post was just opinion, apologies if I came across as harsh or condescending, my goal was not to force my opinion on others, or contradict myself by implying my opinion is more valid than the next forum poster's, but merely that people should look at WoW fairly and make comments once they've actually played the game enough to give a fair opinion (never going to happen I know, lol), I have no problem with people bashing WoW once they've actually played it in detail, but I've heard too much tripe from PSO fan boys/girls who've never played WoW.

You can say it's like comparing apples and oranges, but I'll tell you that I like apple juice better than orange juice (except in the morning).

Lol, you made me laugh, I needed that, thank you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

This is a PSO/U forum, so you have to expect that opinions will tend toward support of PSU and bashing of its competitors.

Ya I expected that, if we took this poll over to the WoW forums I wonder what type of responses we'd get :giggles:

On 2006-06-05 03:55, Kef wrote:
Seeing as 90% of the WoW population are atrocious n00bs, I certainly hope PSU will be less popular.

Just as many noobs on PSO back when it was at it's popularity peak on each various platform. For me the answer was simply finding the right server on WoW and find the right type of player to play with, much like it is in PSO when finding the right ship/block/players to party with. Lol, noob-avoidance, part of any healthy online game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

OdinTyler
Jun 5, 2006, 10:59 AM
1. WoW is so popular because ppl that are used to MMOs will naturally gravitate to another such game. Keep in mind these same ppl complain about wanting something 'different' yet stick to the same type of game. Many seem to prefer the medieval type of game. To me, that would get boring after awhile.

2. I've played EQOA & it is alot of fun. However, I need variety. PS was my 1st RPG series & I loved the futuristic setting to it as no game ever had that before.

3. It's true that what is most popular isn't necessarily the best.

4. Most fans of MMOs tend to play them on their PCs (& can afford to do so).

5. We, the PS-loyal may be playing on PCs or platforms & are more of a cult following as we can admit that Sega hasn't exactly hyped up how awesome PS is...& seemingly, they never will. It's sad, but those that choose to be curious will be rewarded. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

6. One thing that I love about PSO (& now more so in PSU) is that every class has something to offer. Everyone can make a good char & really go out there & kickass. For all the fun experiences I've had in EQOA, I get sick of ppl saying how my char choice isn't the best or I should be 'this' race or have 'these ' stats. At least in PS games, ppl try to offer ways more often, to help your char than hurt it & do so in more positive ways.

7. With the improved char customizations, vehciles, & now 3 planets to explore, I can see myself playing PSU for quite awhile & being happy with it. If I can recruit others on the outside to play, so be it. If not, they don't know what they're missing!

Kyuu
Jun 5, 2006, 12:15 PM
On 2006-06-05 08:52, kassy wrote:

Ya I expected that, if we took this poll over to the WoW forums I wonder what type of responses we'd get :giggles:

My guess as to the most common responses:

- PS what? They're coming out with another Playstation?
- NO 40-man raids? But how do you get epixx?
- Whoa, more than one sentence. TLDR.

RoboKy
Jun 5, 2006, 12:21 PM
Everyone who plays wow is addicted to how easy it is to be high lv. Wow I get exp for not playing! Did you know children are high lvs in this game?

RoninJoku
Jun 5, 2006, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't say that the gameplay of PSU is worse than say WoW... I would argue that it is just different... And on the personal level-much more complex and fun... As a whole-the game is just a much greater experience on the personal level... And just as I prefer smaller, more personal experiences irl-I also prefer them with my games thank you...

Kyuu
Jun 5, 2006, 12:31 PM
On 2006-06-05 10:21, RoboKy wrote:
Everyone who plays wow is addicted to how easy it is to be high lv. Wow I get exp for not playing! Did you know children are high lvs in this game?

And did you know one of the best Halo players in the world is a 13 year old with a squeaky voice? Age is irrelevant. In fact, younger players will have an easier time attaining high levels due to the fact that they have much more free time on their hands than someone who has to deal with work and/or college and adult responsibilities.

Keyeszx
Jun 5, 2006, 12:35 PM
adult responsiblities like wat i wonder

in the distance bam bam bam bam bam bam

Dre_o
Jun 5, 2006, 12:53 PM
PSU as popular as WoW???

No.

At least I hope not. Because with more people, comes more STUPID MORONS!!

"OMG YOU HAXORS. GIB MEH TAHT ITEM YOU MAED!!!!!!"
"SPAMMMMMMMM!!!!!!"
"BUYING HIGH LEVEL SWORDS!!!!!"
"AHHHHHHHHHHH"

Oh Yea, and

"Leeeeeroyyyy Jennnnnkinsssss!!!!"

I hope PSU isn't as "popular" as WoW. Not to mention PSU is just damn better from an overall , objective standpoint.

OdinTyler
Jun 5, 2006, 03:17 PM
Don't pick on Leroy Jenkins. Everytime I hear someone do that, I LMAO. I still find that funny for some odd reason. Nonstop misspelling of words to atrocious ad nauseum, however...that's not something I really can take.

Sev
Jun 5, 2006, 03:46 PM
Everyone knows by now that the "Leroy Jenkins" video was a fake, predetermined video.

Now what I like, is the clip of the guy absolutely losing it over TeamSpeak. Man I love that.

I've already seen so many posts like this though... Between playing CoH/CoV, L2, Guild Wars (Although it was only for 2 hours), WoW, FFXI, and of course this... I know that it's really impossible to come to a conclusion. Really... Aside from Guild Wars I've liked all of the MMO's that I've played. I'm a drifter, and I move between them. On FFXI I have a few static people that I like to talk to, hence I just talk to them in game. Any other game I drift to for other friends at random times... I can afford this since I have a job, but I don't keep more then 2 subscriptions up at a time.

I stopped playing WoW simply because I like FFXI better in the end. My Tarutaru is better then any race in any game period. And he is the only reason I stick around that game I think. WoW has it's own look, but I like the look of games like Lineage 2 and FFXI better then the look of games like WoW and CoH/CoV. Although... I do like the customization of CoH/CoV and I will be starting it up again soon.

I simply don't judge PSU the same way as these games because of the fighting. It's completely different.

RoboKy
Jun 5, 2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah I know about Major League gaming, but First person shooters are not mmorpgs, and in my opinion 1st person shooters are more luck and memorize the stage than anything. I prefer the Super smash bros side of the MLG, but thats smaller than Halo II obviously. I did'nt mean children were bad at all games, I just meant at MMORPGs, and I did'nt mean children that were 13, but I meant even younger children. Younger children actually have less time to play, what are you talking about? They have to go to school monday through friday up until high school, and they get homework. People who got to college have more time than people who work, and with the working class it depends on their job or how they choose to schedule.

Suiko
Jun 5, 2006, 07:21 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/05/08

Crude language warning to those easily offended. Just thought I'd add that just in case. <.<

Sha_Hua
Jun 5, 2006, 07:44 PM
I normally don't reply to long threaded topics, but on this one I just had to.

If you want to get to the nitty gritty just skip the quotes.

On 2006-06-04 17:53, Kyuu wrote:

This brings up a good point. For people to want to play a game they have to know that it exists.
Things that help are recognizeability, advertising, developer and the players.
Now I've seen who the players will be (you guys) and I am sure you will show it to your friends what will increase the players greatly.
The developer, Sega's and it's Sonic Team, have been bringing high quality games to the market like no other. The problem is this fact (actually my opinion) is fairly unknown.
The advertising seems to be a big problem in a lot of countries. Here in the benelux we had nice advertising at end 80's. In the 90's an other compagny took over and messed up big time. Now there is no advertising at all anymore?!
The biggest issue might be the recognizability. The real time PS games have combo system and paper, rock, scissors system combined with your place on the battlefield beeing important. I only know a handfull of games that operate with some of these factors. There arn't a lot of people that recognize it as a fun game. And they won't find out if they don't play it.

PSU is a unique type of game. It lacks advertisements, but even if it had that it wouldn't be recognized as a fun game. If you want PSU to have a great amount of players, tell and show your friends, that is the best way to promote it.

On 2006-06-04 18:56, justinbrady wrote:
the thign with that is...if people get bored of wow...burning legion is coming out around the same time as PSU.

I play WoW till PSU releases, but I know a lot of people would stop if the expension wouldn't release.
So this the truth like a cow. Without BL a lot of WoW players could switch to PSU.

On 2006-06-04 21:44, justinbrady wrote:
wow was fun 1-59. once you hit 60 the fun quickly ends. the burning legion will be the same 61-69 will be a blast i am sure but after that the fun halts once again. PSU is better because most people dont max out and keep advancing their char...which is the point of an RPG.

So true again, I liked leveling the most in WoW. Beeing 60 is nasty, you are tossed into a big group of better geared players and forced to raid in 40 man groups if you want to upgrade your char. I don't enjoy the 40 man thing.
The thing with WoW is it has 3 parts, casual/leveling (solo-5 man discovering azeroth), raiding (40 man grinding for imbalanced armor) and PVP (battling players from the opposing faction). If you like the casual/leveling you find it stops after reaching 60. The other 2 just start from that level. Badly balanced gameplay in my opinion.

On 2006-06-05 10:15, Kyuu wrote:

My guess as to the most common responses:

- PS what? They're coming out with another Playstation?
- NO 40-man raids? But how do you get epixx?
- Whoa, more than one sentence. TLDR.

Actually my old guild reacted by checking the game after my recommendation on the forum. The new guild isn't into it :S, not even the ex-pso players among them.
But indeed I heard those kind of responses.
People tend to think a MMO has to have mass group instancing. In my opinion it doesn't. MMO means you can play with a mass group, but this can also mean in a city like PSU. MMO means you can socialize in game for me. Mass group instancing is just plain stupid. How can you give feedback if there are so many people to watch, you can't, leading to a big chance on a lot of weak players in the group.

Nitty gritty ^_^

Which will have the most players?
PSU will probably never reach the number of WoW players. This is because WoW is a recognizable game that doesn't even require a lot of skills to play.
WoW will compete with PSU cause the burning legion expansion will hit the stores at about the same time.

Now which is best?
The thing is you can't compare 2 types of games, they are both marked MMORPG, but they are totally different. I would call WoW a MMO sandbox cause they tried to add all kinds of MMO gameplay. PSU is more a, what you see is what you get, straight forward rpg (for 6 man instancing mostly).
Things I can say is you will have to have more skills to play PSU (there is no auto attack). PSU is made without the update option so the game will work fine from day one.
On the other side WoW is much eazyer to learn (check if target has lower level, right click, repeat till level 60). And bugs can easely be fixed by updates (thank god it can cause blizzard tends to make a lot).

What kind of players do the games have?
WoW: All kind of players due to it beeing easy to learn. Next to that a lot of wannabee players and noobs attracted by the idea it is the best game ever due to the amount of players.
PSU: Everyone who has enough skill and patience to learn the basics (rpg fans/serious gamers). Next to that Sega fans and PSO veterans will be game.
In this case it is good to not be the most popular game. The skill of the players in PSU will most likely be higher then in WoW.

My conclusion
For me PSU is the best of the 2 cause it's more of a challenge for me.
Also not having to deal with bugs continuesly, not having to hope the stats on my armor are still decent after updates and knowing I will probably never reach the level cap are big plusses.
We game online to play together. Making the best thing knowing there will be a lot of skilled people playing PSU.

Thanks for reading.
I now need sleep :S.

DarkBlade18
Jun 6, 2006, 11:41 AM
okay i play wow a lot and pso. i can say that pso is better. but WoW is the most populated MMORPG in the world it has 6 million people all over the world playing. its not impossible but its nearly impossible that PSU will reach that amount of people playing but as sha_hua said when burning legion comes out people will want too start playing again they will all be the two new races wot are coming out not only that there is going too be 10 lvls u can gain as well but as soon as they reach that and they get bored we will have loads of noobs coming from WoW

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkBlade18 on 2006-06-06 09:44 ]</font>

NightHour13
Jun 6, 2006, 02:56 PM
PSU beats wow in so many ways, but remember this is an opinion. An opinion based on strong facts, but if your going to debate which is better you have to see both sides. People are simply right, WoW has pretty bad graphics, low customization which kills the RPG effect (since ROLE PLAYING game is what it is) and the battle system/PvP system makes me want to kill myself. Like alot of people before me said, it become a huge snooze-fest when all you do is point and click. sure theres those small little "Oh, gotta click at this specific moment or i won't pull off that skill chain!" sorta thing, but cmon man that become repetitive as hell.

PSU is got one incredibly huge edge over many of the mainstream MMO's right now, Action RPG! This game allows you to be right in the thick of it, and thats whats kept me onto PSO/PSU all these years. I would win or lose because i knew the skills i needed to beat the monster. PSU will upgrade this 10 fold, and i believe this is what makes me want to play it. Sure it doesnt have a gigantic lifeless (or on the flip side, monster infested) continent to explore freely, but it's got a solid system which any one can enjoy time and time again.

HiKeRI
Jun 6, 2006, 05:10 PM
By Nighthour31
"Oh, gotta click at this specific moment or i won't pull off that skill chain!"

Thats no science to learn how to do it, and repetive is wrong since you learn about 5-7 and hell load of Weapon skills which you don't get bored unless your High lv's like million times, Doing the same combo on PSU over and over IS repetive so clear that up buddy, and for the record FFXI not a click etc game. PSU is great and all but i just think FFXI been the best i played so far, those people that get bored of it is cause they can't keep up with the game and quit by the time you are low lv(Yeah i know not your type of game-This goes to everyone that had played it) And for those that got high was cause of economy(Players like always do screw-ups eh?) Then again i repeat myself don't mention FFXI here on PSU because that is perfection to me atleast, and they are both different games anyway... WoW i never played it, looks fun by the things that my friend tells me, but it don't interest me.. FFXI FtW!

RoboKy
Jun 6, 2006, 05:17 PM
FFXI, please do not make me wait hours to get a party or for a healer to log on and party with me and not allow me to solo.

HiKeRI
Jun 6, 2006, 05:21 PM
Your just lazy lol, i had them in seconds

RoboKy
Jun 6, 2006, 05:26 PM
I was probably not same lv, but at first I was having fun because my friend was a white mage and I was a tank. But after we changed classes and progressed, we could hardly get a party. I finally left (as in quit) after waiting and lfg and did a /search all then whitemage and saw all of them were in a party or party leader and had no space in party.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RoboKy on 2006-06-06 15:26 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Jun 6, 2006, 05:28 PM
FFXI is FAR FAR from perfect. This is coming from someone who has played it for about 2 years, and I have several jobs over lvl 40. My highest is a lvl 65 Monk.
Combat is VERY repetitive. Parties pretty much are all the same.
Pull mob, tank provokes, mages debuff, skillchain, magic burst, mob dies, repeat.
In order to do just about anything in the game you gotta wait around for hours trying to set up the "ideal group" or else you won't get anywhere.
Any of the quests that are worthwhile take HOURS to fhkn complete.
Everything is very item-based. If you're "soandso" job and you don't have "soandsoitem" which costs 50 mill, then you're gimp.
So then you gotta spend hours farming/crafting/etc. so you can get the gil just so you can buy this one item.
The economy has long since gone to hell. Even though its gotten better, its still a pain in the ass.
The game is just not fun. You spend way too much time doing mundane stuff and not having fun.
I know MMOs take some sort of dedication and work, but...still. At the end of the day its a game, and games are meant to entertain. FFXI entertains in very small bursts to me.

HiKeRI
Jun 6, 2006, 05:31 PM
Well your case is true, WHM's is boring afterall that been a huge case on FFXI, because of either... HNM hunts, Wyrm's, Mission's, Quest's, Ballista, Real life work(yeah they leave there char looking for party while working and sending them tells por hr's) Linkshell event's, Exp Party's getting the leftover people's, People messing around, People lazy to lv, People that is busy farming and whole load more reason's. <<< I personally think this may happen to PSU but i have a strong feeling that it wont either.

HiKeRI
Jun 6, 2006, 05:34 PM
On 2006-06-06 15:28, DizzyDi wrote:
FFXI is FAR FAR from perfect. This is coming from someone who has played it for about 2 years, and I have several jobs over lvl 40. My highest is a lvl 65 Monk.
Combat is VERY repetitive. Parties pretty much are all the same.
Pull mob, tank provokes, mages debuff, skillchain, magic burst, mob dies, repeat.
In order to do just about anything in the game you gotta wait around for hours trying to set up the "ideal group" or else you won't get anywhere.
Any of the quests that are worthwhile take HOURS to fhkn complete.
Everything is very item-based. If you're "soandso" job and you don't have "soandsoitem" which costs 50 mill, then you're gimp.
So then you gotta spend hours farming/crafting/etc. so you can get the gil just so you can buy this one item.
The economy has long since gone to hell. Even though its gotten better, its still a pain in the ass.
The game is just not fun. You spend way too much time doing mundane stuff and not having fun.
I know MMOs take some sort of dedication and work, but...still. At the end of the day its a game, and games are meant to entertain. FFXI entertains in very small bursts to me.

And my info is coming from a 3/4 times lv75 character, and to the sidenote, this is not your type of game your looking and yes this is perfect game or close to it.

RoboKy
Jun 6, 2006, 05:42 PM
I hopee/think the mono/di/trimates will keep us from shouting group lf forcer, ready to goo in town. FFXI is going to be maybe forgotten by the developers maybe when they start their new mmorpg for PS3 and windows Vista: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalfantasy11/news.html?sid=6147946
But i'll say that PSU(from what i've seen)>FFXI>WOW

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 6, 2006, 05:47 PM
On 2006-06-05 14:54, RoboKy wrote:
Yeah I know about Major League gaming, but First person shooters are not mmorpgs, and in my opinion 1st person shooters are more luck and memorize the stage than anything.

Ok where did you get that idea? A FPS is all skill and very little luck. MMO's require virtually no skill... you can't do much about you situation in an MMO if you are not high level but in an FPS you are all set at equal 'levels.'

HiKeRI
Jun 6, 2006, 05:48 PM
Yes, i do accept that Fun overcomes everything even perfection. Many people don't like to have hard time doing something on a virtual world so they decided fun instead that is much less working, FFXI very well made game and perfect when they released Ballista people wanted a PvP but when they though of something then its gonna be crappy lag by looking at huge ammount of people, Ballista evaded that and made it better but in my opinion... FFXI = Great well made, and cool PSU= Well balanced and great Fun.

xMutex
Jun 6, 2006, 05:50 PM
I also seriously dout that this game will be as popular as WoW, WoW was a great game I stopped playing it not to long ago but I found the game much to well boring. PSO version 1 and 2 I never owned i jsut played at freinds and was hooked emediatly and would trade whatever i could to play it sure PSU will no doubt be amazing I'm not sure its well known enough around like WoW is and ep 3 really brought down popularity well thats my opinion anyways

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xMutex on 2006-06-06 15:53 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Jun 6, 2006, 05:54 PM
On 2006-06-06 15:34, HiKeRI wrote:

And my info is coming from a 3/4 times lv75 character, and to the sidenote, this is not your type of game your looking and yes this is perfect game or close to it.

Just cause I say the game is far from perfect doesn't mean its not the game I'm looking for.
I enjoyed FFXI for a good while, but it got boring.
The work:fun ration is just crazy.
I'm glad you think that FFXI is perfect but the popular consensus on the game is that its far from perfect.

RoboKy
Jun 6, 2006, 06:01 PM
In first person shooters any novice can kill something or just with that sword in Halo. Or someone can be like let me go to my hiding spot where no one can find me and I'll snipe them from across the field or jump out behind them and shoot them from behinds. High lv techniques are memorize where the rocket launcher spawns, straf left and right at unrealistic speeds, and after use the sword switch back to a weapon when your supposed to be recovering from that thrust.

I did'nt say mmorpgs required alot of skill, but they do require some skill. Like haggling, shopping (so you don't get scammed), nettiquite, basic-advanced math/tactic skills for pvp or skill choices. Most kids don't have this.

physic
Jun 6, 2006, 06:21 PM
ffxi is a very different sort of game, as is WoW though i nevere played it, most of the gameplay is involved in teh team work, though your personal tasks are repetive, the strategy of the team and what you can handle is about gameplay and strategy. One of teh reasons things get boring is because people dont play those games looking for challenge or adventure, they are looking to exp as fast as possible, and chosse teh easiest way to do so. In theory you can go fight bones and explore gusgen mines at level 11-20, but who wants to do that its hard and deadly. You could also level while completing missions and quests, but the missions also require you to go into dangerous areas, fighting or dodgeing monsters.

Psu is based more on personal gameplay, how you move what you can avoid, etc thats fun and i like it, but i highly doubt there will be any enemy in psu ever that will require as much though planning and execution of teamwork as FFXI, and most likely WoW. Whether you like that or not is another mattter, fact is they are simply too different.

Even the best MMO will suffer based on the way teh people play it. Ultimately what will make a game suck is people. Dupers cheaters farmers, or just regular every day aholes, backstabbers elitists, online game will be what the people make it. As too the popularity, dont expect psu to come close to WoW, the games developers had a large following, and a strong publicity, they hit many markets, and the game seemed simple.
Psu has a relatively small following, the company doesnt have as many loyal fans, its marketing? well um.... go look at the psu NA site. I ll most likely enjoy psu somewhat, but its never gonna be WoW it probably will not even be FFXI in terms of numbers. But doesnt really matter, 6 man teams anyway.

DurakkenX
Jun 6, 2006, 07:47 PM
>.> FFXI....perfect? cha right ^.^

Any game that requires that you to play with other to advance personally in the story or in the item that is yours and your solely is incredably flawed.

Everything in my opinion should be able to be single player beaten eventually in a perfect MMORPG. If I can't take the max level character with the best equipment and have a chance at beating the hardest thing to beat in the game then it is severely flawed.

also a game that limits growth of a character and only gives positive stats is also flawed >.>

HiKeRI
Jun 6, 2006, 08:07 PM
You customize your stats at lv75 in a limit though, still strong enought, and you can solo stuff, just not that quick like those normal MMO's, and you to solo a Monster(HNM) that can take almost 3-6Hr's to beat not a smart thing to say lol, FFXI is like reality you can't handle everything on your own but.. they kindoff made it on PT only which is a downfall that i don't mind though.

JoL = Last time i tried to beat him with 145 people took us 14Hr's and still failed, this game haves the challenge everyone is looking for, but don't offer the same fun as PSU haves.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HiKeRI on 2006-06-06 18:11 ]</font>

NightHour13
Jun 6, 2006, 08:20 PM
What, solo if your a BST? Or solo when your 75? Yay~

Your idea of perfection is distorted sir, you think that organization and structured team work is perfection.

Thats just stating that the game has a solid ground for people who are structure freaks. Perfection in organization maybe, perfect in fun? Sadly mistaken.

For your info Hikeri i have had 3 level 75's, all staple jobs. I still had a hard time getting parties and it was always more WORK then FUN. Perhaps you had a PL hold your hand the entire way but if you've checked the local community, people are groaning rather then cheering. I know personally i was more relieved to level then happy to level. It was a constant struggle. People thought the people were stupid, i think that everything was so damn difficult (for lack of better word) that people had a tough time getting the job done.

That game became fun once i hit 75 and i could stop worrying about everything, because everything was a strife.

HiKeRI
Jun 6, 2006, 08:28 PM
I soloed with war at lv65's killed some mob's, just not the type of game to just go around and bash things, FFXI haves everything well done lol, someone did say in here the people make the game, therefore Perfect game, lame people and nice people, people that screwed with the economy and people who screwed with the game itself (bots) SE did wanted to make the game solo style cause i did played the beta and stuff just didnt went well(you soloed the IT's then with NINJA you soloed some HNM's like cake) if they made it soloing like they wanted to, they would screw up the Massive battle system and the total Originallity the game offers just like PSU(style of game i never seen on my life other than PSO DC version) think of it and you'll understand http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Like i said before i look the game like a challenge not a play toy to have fun around, because challenge for me is fun, i go around killing these HNM's then i think for a sec.. All i did was worth it, and no i didnt get Pl'd i just played since beta, and i started out as crappy as everyone did but ended up perfectly like the work i passed thru. And again FFXI= Challenge PSU= Just pure fun

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HiKeRI on 2006-06-06 18:35 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Jun 6, 2006, 09:37 PM
FFXI is not a challenge other than in patience. You can't blaim them though as they built the game around the FF battle systems and they are all designed to work with parties. It just doesn't work on an MMO nor is it fun.

I didn't say you should solo in FFXI as it's worthless and often ends up making you lose more xp than gain. I said any game that makes you not able to solo for your solely your own ends is flawed. Things such as AF shouldn't take full parties or alliances to get. quest stories should rely on parties. What they did is try to make it for party play without realizing party players challenge themselves more because they can.

And custimization...Merit points are not "custimization"

In a perfect RPG there would be no ultimate "boss" there would be only be players that can continue to grow

HiKeRI
Jun 6, 2006, 09:48 PM
In a perfect RPG there would be no ultimate "boss" there would be only be players that can continue to grow, this is what keeps Lv75's in the game and FFXI is based more out of a storyline than gameplay, each Ultimate Boss haves a story/legend behind it which makes it close to perfect, this means gives the game details of why you play this game, what is the country, what is the past of it etc They used there mind's atleast to give you something to do when you reach max lv, cause then it'll end up like all other games, you get max lv then what? you got all weapons, best armor? All items, did all quests etc "I'll just quit since i finished this game and i'll move to another game, it'll be more worth my time"

SE's main reason is to unite people to help each others even if it looks difficult(People actually never help ya though) I just got friends and just got the help i needed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HiKeRI on 2006-06-06 19:52 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 6, 2006, 09:52 PM
On 2006-06-06 16:01, RoboKy wrote:
In first person shooters any novice can kill something or just with that sword in Halo. Or someone can be like let me go to my hiding spot where no one can find me and I'll snipe them from across the field or jump out behind them and shoot them from behinds. High lv techniques are memorize where the rocket launcher spawns, straf left and right at unrealistic speeds, and after use the sword switch back to a weapon when your supposed to be recovering from that thrust

MMO's aren't realistic either. A first person shoot....... a novice can kill something wtih a good weapon. That is what makes the games good. You don't need levels and are not limited by anything but your own skill. In an MMO you are only as good as your powers will allow.

Polly
Jun 6, 2006, 10:03 PM
Like i said before i look the game like a challenge not a play toy to have fun around, because challenge for me is fun

Wait...what?

SE's main reason is to unite people to help each others even if it looks difficult(People actually never help ya though)

Wait...what? Sounds like they failed if nobody's willing to help anyone. So much for bringing people together, I guess.

I just got friends and just got the help i needed

And I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if you didn't.

HiKeRI
Jun 6, 2006, 10:07 PM
Would you help people? if your Busy? Nope no one does, "Challenge for me is fun" Read please... Massive Battles... "play toy" something simple kthxbai

Polly
Jun 6, 2006, 10:12 PM
On 2006-06-06 20:07, HiKeRI wrote:
Would you help people?

I don't know, get back to me after I have this sammich.

if your Busy?

What about my busy? My busy is none of your business.

Nope no one does

Then FFXI's community is flawed if their intent was to draw people together. Huh-durp!

"Challenge for me is fun" Read please... Massive Battles... "play toy" something simple

Both were tied to the word fun. Once again, Huh-durp!

kthxbai

You're welcome.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Triela on 2006-06-06 20:12 ]</font>

HiKeRI
Jun 6, 2006, 10:14 PM
No problem, child.

DurakkenX
Jun 6, 2006, 10:31 PM
FFXI limits story...you are not even part of the story you are an insignificant person even though you are supposed to be a hero.

what keeps people playing...how bout what the purpose for the game? ROLE PLAYING. FFXI, PSU, PSO, WoW and every other MMORPG fails at this point.

So durakken..if there is no ultimate boss how does one get to anywhere and where is the story? Well first off the world would continously evolve realistically...2ndly the players don't actually need a well laid out story but rather something to guide them into the world. They should be their own story and if they become famous they become famous.

^.^ i'd tell you more but thas enough wouldn't want anyone mysteriously stealing my game >.>

ANIMEniac
Jun 6, 2006, 11:37 PM
ok it is turning into a thread where peoples personal feelings to a game are getting hurt so all of what i say is going to be as neutral as possible:

-if you really dont want to be tied down to parties and wanna solo on your own, that is what offline is 4, or play morrowind. being a loner almost defeats the purpose of it being an MMO

-i dont see how the other RPG's fail at role playing. it is your character, you can get attached as you want. let is sat this was jimmy jhonson's extreme banker RPG. if you make a banker and play the game, you are acting out the role of that character unless you choose not to gett atached in any way, then it is just how much munny u make.

-quite honestly i never played FF11 more than the 360 beta, and dint have the time to get into it, so most of these refrances go over my head and i dont no what VH?'s are. but i can say if it was the perfect game... it woul beat wow. so i think the term "my perfect game" should be used instead of "the perfect game"

-FPS's and MMO's have 2 different play styles, fps tend to be more skill with a heavy side of know how if you are competative (unless ur on halo then it is do u no how to exploit glitches... faster relode any1?) where as RPGs are more knowhow with the need of skill at different levels to use the knowledge. you say any noob can pic up the game and start owning, i guess you have nevery tried to take a hacker through challenege. yes 3 times restarting and me and the 3 hackers only made it to the 3rd room of C1.

-quite honestly idk y there is somuch talk about FF11. it was used as a referance, but do i need to make a PSU>FFXI? thread?

-many times i ashed myself how pso was so fun... i mean i estimated that i atleast spent 500+ hrs hitting mailny the x and a buttons, ant this was an estimat last year i think. so repetative ness is not a big issue as long as otherthings divert you away from it.

and lastly!!! different ppl find different games enjoyable. i actualy liked GW but it is said to be worst than wow and every1 is talking about how wow is mediocer. im the kind of guy where if i say a game sux, then it must be horrid cause i play some of everything. that being said you dont know how attached ppl are to these games. if i walked up and said your GF looked like regergitated vomit in a bag, you would be hurt cause she has meaning to you but to me i may not like her. so please think of others before you post, and dont let emotions make you type unkind replies ither.

i try not to offent any1, just bringing up points. in no way am i saying what i say is the final word. just please, i dont want 2 read these back and forth arguments to try to get to good and wholsome posts. (lol i said wholsome in a serious manner http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ANIMEniac on 2006-06-06 21:47 ]</font>

vitius137
Jun 6, 2006, 11:37 PM
we're all here cuz we love PSU. there's no point in arguing about which game is second best http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
personally, i havent played WoW or FFXI. I've been playing mostly console games and Guild Wars (which is pretty good for a free MMO).

Like lots of people have sed: 2 diffrent games, 2 different perspectives. I haven't even played PSO online cuz i couldn't get my GC to go online T_T.

anyway i'm really looking forward to PSU because its a fresh new battle system and it looks great in so many ways (save for PVP).

In Guild Wars I spent hourse trying to find a group or just to get a monk for the damn group. all the monks just stand there... taunting me..... *shudders* i dont wanna relive that experience.

PSU is the only game i'm concerned about. you can all play whatever u want, i kinda want the psu population to be kept small. i really need to pay attention in english class cuz this writing is horrible. im gonna play gunbound to pass the time.... T_T

Tycho
Jun 7, 2006, 01:00 AM

Someone should try that in several months when the game is out. XD

RoboKy
Jun 7, 2006, 04:58 PM
On 2006-06-06 19:52, SgtShligger wrote:

In first person shooters any novice can kill something or just with that sword in Halo. Or someone can be like let me go to my hiding spot where no one can find me and I'll snipe them from across the field or jump out behind them and shoot them from behinds. High lv techniques are memorize where the rocket launcher spawns, straf left and right at unrealistic speeds, and after use the sword switch back to a weapon when your supposed to be recovering from that thrust

MMO's aren't realistic either. A first person shoot....... a novice can kill something wtih a good weapon. That is what makes the games good. You don't need levels and are not limited by anything but your own skill. In an MMO you are only as good as your powers will allow.

A novice can not only kill something, they can kill even a good player. I was trying to say that the skills for shopping, money skills, nettiquite and gameplay time are something that younger people don't have and they don't become high lvls in MMORPGs because of this. The exception I was pointing out was WOW because it is so easy. And then someone brought up that 13 year old major league gaming thing and I said that first person shooters were'nt like mmorpgs that require time and I meant younger people.
FPS are'nt really a straight forward measurement of skill because you don't face off right in front of your opponent, you can one shot them, and it's a team game (unless you dual or something, but that still get one lucky kill and run away until time's up).

Coleosis
Jun 7, 2006, 05:34 PM
I wish PSU would become even half as popular as World of Warcraft, because it really deserves it. I had 10x more fun playing the PSO games than I ever did with WoW.

Miphesto
Jun 7, 2006, 05:57 PM
never not a chance...not even in your wildest dreams

Sev
Jun 7, 2006, 05:58 PM
RoboKy

Anyone can die in an FPS... It's an FPS... It's not hard to kill people. It's hard to win. I can get kills in any FPS, but will I be the best on the server? Will I get the highest amount in the round? Not to point fingers... But you must not be very good at Halo 2 in the first place if you think the Rockets or the Sword are almighty. And to clarify, ask how many times "The Rocket Guy" or the "Sword Guy" wins the match at level 25. It ain't often.

FPS' basically go by reaction time when it's an open confrontation. Even with something like Sniping, your should make your shots count because if one person finds you... There goes your hiding spot. Age doesn't warranty skill in any game. If you know the rules, and know how to play, you'll do well.

HiKeRI:

FFXI being the perfect game is impossible. Anyone can pick up the game and point out the flaws. Even you who called it so, knows the flaws of the game. Perfection HAS no flaws.

There's a few problems with things you've brought up... Kyuu pointed about all of 'em out. A game based on teamwork needs people willing to cooperate. When you have 200 level 75's standing around in Jeuno, about 100 of 'em doing nothing buy talking to someone, and you need your AF and have been shouting for 3 hours for help... Yeah... That tells you right there, somethings not right. Things like that, may as well be soloable because no one wants to help in the first place. Even your Linkshell can't always help out.

Then there's the economy... We don't need to talk about that.

My favorite problem is this whole "Cookie Cutter" thing... Here's how it is.

"You are a Thief, you have to sub "This" and if not, you suck. You also need to use this food at this level, and have to have this equipment at this level. If not, you suck. Oh, and by the way... I won't help you get any of that. And no one wants to take a Thief to BCNM. So have fun camping mobs that spawn... Maybe 1 time an hour. Sometimes 1 time in 3 hours. And MAYBE getting the drop so you can sell it for money, or equip it. Oh, and you also, need to claim that mob over the competition, or that's 3 hours down the drain. Even after you get all of this stuff, because you are a THF, there can only be one of you in the party. And you can only be in the party if you have all of the above listed. Try making your own parties if it takes too long... But yeah... Sometimes Mages or Tanks won't join your party unless it's full. So... Good luck with that as well. And don't forget to have fun!"

FFXI in a nutshell. There's a few jobs here and there that don't have to put up with all of that. For the most part, you'll have to deal with a good amount of BS in some of the jobs that you want to level. People will simply tell you after that, "You should level a different job if you don't like it." but I didn't want to be a Red Mage, I wanted to be a Thief, so why should I have to level a different job?

And so ends the rant section...

Every game has it's good and bad, but everyone gets so touchy when someone can point out the bad in their favorite game. Games have room for improvement, that doesn't mean that it's the worst game in the world. If what is said about the game is true, then it's true. I do know that all games, including PSU, are far from perfect. PSU is what I want to play, and I don't need to play a perfect game to have fun. And for me... If a game isn't fun, why play it? I could just as easily work overtime at work instead.

Edit: I thought I should probably put something about the actual topic in too...

Whether PSU becomes popular or not doesn't matter entirely. It needs to have a good enough amount of success for ST to stay involved and continue to support and grow the game. I'm not sure if they came into this with intentions of reaching WoW size. I don't think WoW had the intention of WoW size. As long as this is just as successful as PSO, it'll be fine.

And when you think about it, that's more then enough people to play with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sev on 2006-06-07 16:00 ]</font>

RoboKy
Jun 7, 2006, 06:35 PM
Yeah I'm not good at Halo 2, I played it, analyzed it and was like I'm not wasting time practicing and memorizing the stages and spawns. I rarely even play it unless a friend just wants to pass time or something. I find that Super Smash Bros is way better because if a novice wants to face off against you, you barely get scratched. You can toss him around and not even lose one stock as opposed to halo in which it's oh no! he killed me, but i'm supposed to be better... What just happened?

Shrevn
Jun 7, 2006, 07:30 PM
The problem with FFXI was that you never were able to freely just enjoy the game always grouping always missions and the expansions are a joke... you cant do anything w/out having to previously have completed a certaint part of the game... not newbie friendly at all... so what if they had low level mobs... noone is gonna go there for the grind hell there were parts like the swamps/marshs already empty as it is all you saw there is probably elemental hunters... Wow however was alot of fun in my experience as a lock/druid/warrior/mage but after BWL its just too old to keep just grinding every week the same dungeons with the same people... the PVP isnt so bad but it could be better. The jobs arent equally balanced which is the only complain I can say about WOW. Why can a Lock beat a warrior %75 of the time? even if hes a noob... once they balance all jobs out and really fix the talent trees for some jobs the game will be set but by then it will be too late cause most of the pyoneers have already left.
PSO was a fun game but too basic tap tap tap tap tap tap u get the idea....
This game as of now "attempts" to change that we'll have to wait and see but dont spect a big population i see a medium population at most couple of thou on every night just like back on PSO.

And one thing i forgot the only thing ived always hated about PSO or in this case PSU has been the loot system hunters get everything since they're close to pick up casters/rangers get nothing hopefully they will fix it... because They do need an auction house system in this game hell they needed one in PSO

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shrevn on 2006-06-07 17:40 ]</font>

Sev
Jun 8, 2006, 12:37 AM
On 2006-06-07 17:30, Shrevn wrote:
The problem with FFXI was that you never were able to freely just enjoy the game always grouping always missions and the expansions are a joke... you cant do anything w/out having to previously have completed a certaint part of the game... not newbie friendly at all... so what if they had low level mobs... noone is gonna go there for the grind hell there were parts like the swamps/marshs already empty as it is all you saw there is probably elemental hunters... Wow however was alot of fun in my experience as a lock/druid/warrior/mage but after BWL its just too old to keep just grinding every week the same dungeons with the same people... the PVP isnt so bad but it could be better. The jobs arent equally balanced which is the only complain I can say about WOW. Why can a Lock beat a warrior %75 of the time? even if hes a noob... once they balance all jobs out and really fix the talent trees for some jobs the game will be set but by then it will be too late cause most of the pyoneers have already left.
This game as of now "attempts" to change that we'll have to wait and see but dont spect a big population i see a medium population at most couple of thou on every night just like back on PSO.

And one thing i forgot the only thing ived always hated about PSO or in this case PSU has been the loot system hunters get everything since they're close to pick up casters/rangers get nothing hopefully they will fix it... because They do need an auction house system in this game hell they needed one in PSO

They have a random setting for the loot system. So complain number 1 is gone.

As for complaint number 2, you can set up your own player shop. Not exactly an Auction House, but it gives you a chance to sell your weapons off for money. So it's sorta like one, but not really. I'm not a fan of Auction Houses because people tend to set strange price trends.
-----------------------------------------------------

WoW isn't balanced, I don't think they really will balance it. I think they'd rather just make one job stronger, then make another stronger, and just cycle around like that. Everything gets it's chance in the sun. I just never really got into it... I played it long enough, but after awhile all I wanted to do was mine... Or try the BattleGrounds a bit, but even that wasn't that great to me.

PSU is the game I'm looking forward to. I'm so bored with everything right now.

Sidenote: There's alot of glitches in Smash too. Most of 'em... I never knew about until I played in a little tournament. You know someone plays the game too much when they're talking about how many frames it takes to do this or that...

They also had a pie chart of Peach's radishes... Yeah... Some people need to go outside.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sev on 2006-06-07 22:40 ]</font>

Kers
Jun 8, 2006, 01:38 AM
On Halo2- play some of the really damn good teams. Once they have the power weapons (which greatly influence the game) an average team will never touch them. I feel the reason why you feel you can eventually kill anyone, is because of playing rumble pit and head to head. This is because in these gametypes you can be outnumbered or will be playing on maps that are built for more than two people. Halo2's multiplayer is geared toward teamwork.

On SSBM- play FFA well enough and you can win without a death if the game is set to a reasonable number of lifes or time (because of accumulative damage). Play it on teams, and the right combination of characters with strat vs. your team of raw skill, and you'll have a possibility of losing, or at the least die much more than 1 on 1. It's because the game's multi team isn't the game's focus. I've played too much SSBM and experienced this lol.

So, games that depend on raw skill and strat do have a point in which you play soo much, you or your team become "untouchable" vs. an average player. It's just weather you're playing the main focus of the game.

Moo2u
Jun 8, 2006, 03:41 PM
I played PSO waaaay back, then kinda switched to FFXI. I'm not going to rant on about FFXI, many folks have already done that. I'm just sayin' I got board of FFXI alot quicker than I did with PSO. That should be enough.

I really want to play WoW though. Lots of my friends are into it, I just don't got da moe-nay! I should by the time PSU comes a callin'.

DikkyRay
Jun 8, 2006, 03:55 PM
Wow Is getting to old, sure there is going to be an expansion, but that will just get old to. And also psu is online and offline with a killer story.
Go psu!

Alisha
Jun 8, 2006, 04:05 PM
On 2006-06-07 17:30, Shrevn wrote:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shrevn on 2006-06-07 17:40 ]</font>

you fail. sure CoP sucked but the new expansion ToAU is fucking amazing.

my favorite quote reguarding games like WoW is

"i dont get why people think they should be able to solo in an online rpg"

FFXI limits story...you are not even part of the story you are an insignificant person even though you are supposed to be a hero.

lol.... these sound like the words of someone that didnt even make it to lvl 60 if that. try getting rank 10 or plying RotZ or ToAU missions then say that again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-06-08 14:11 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Jun 8, 2006, 04:51 PM
If you are going to read and comment at least read the entire thread. for a matter of fact I reached level 71war, rank10 in sandy, rank6 in both bastok and windy. and had over 400+ levels over all as well as almost every quest done.

Zilart missions took far too much work on zm4 as you couldn't do it alone and you had to get people who had the items or get the items. and you had to get people in general. I tried several times to get through it but failed each time to even get it done due to bad luck and the idiocy of others.

The new expansion looks decent but not worth my time and mysery to level back up as my account died long ago to. and I don't really care to waste my time on it...If it was even near a good game i'd have completed everything in the game several times over for the time i spent on that game. My completion level was completely due to the fact that Warrior is not a job that gets many invites.

As I said the entire game makes you feel unimportant and worthless. Hell the game doesn't even acknowledge that you HAVE to work with other people to get the things done. And how good do you feel about your supposedly hard worked for AF when in all honesty you did little or nothing to get it because the fact is that is all you could do. War af requires that you get a full alliance for some parts, others requires several high level people of the right types. You don't feel like you earned it. You more feel relieved to not be getting harassed because you don't have the gear.

PhotonCat
Jun 8, 2006, 06:37 PM
Like it has been said, WoW is very popular because of the Warcraft series. The PS series isn't very popular compared to WC. That doesn't mean that people think PS sucks or anything though, people all have their own preferences.

And some of you are praising PSU before you even play it. You cannot say "PSU is gonna be better than WoW" if you have not played it yet. That's blind fanboyism.
Some of you I can tell never even played WoW either.

And yes, people do like fun, easy games, that's why WoW is popular. I like fun, easy games myself as well.

And Sev hit the mark on FF11. FF11 perfect??? HAH! Yeah right.... I have not seen such a horrible MMO since I played FF11... /shivers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PhotonCat on 2006-06-08 16:42 ]</font>

Shrevn
Jun 8, 2006, 06:55 PM
<font size=-1>[ you fail. sure CoP sucked but the new expansion ToAU is fucking amazing ]</font>

I quit ffxi about 2 years ago haflway into zilart no point in BHNM camp spawn all damn day just for a macro spammin guild come take the kill.
FFxi gets old fast specially when guilds spect you to raise 3-5 subs for any given class

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shrevn on 2006-06-08 16:57 ]</font>

TheStoicOne
Jun 8, 2006, 07:22 PM
How many aprox. users are there on WoW? If it has a hold on 50% of the market then how much does GW have? Where does EQ, and EQ2 fit in to this? How about FFXI? And someone said PSO had afew thousand people on each night. I wanna know what version was that? In the versions I've played when at their peek popularity never had thousands online at one time.

Kyuu
Jun 8, 2006, 08:42 PM
The figure given for WoW's current population is in the vicinity of 6 million active accounts.

ANIMEniac
Jun 9, 2006, 04:33 AM
not to bring back a dying thread but all i have to say is that i hope PSU is atleast popular enuf to warent some U.S. sales of merchendise. we have all seen how many PSO actionfigures, art books, comics, and such is in japan. hopfully if it goes well we will start getting atleast a small amout of swag through US online sites rather than paying extra to import.

ShadowDragon28
Jun 9, 2006, 01:36 PM
Other than lack of funds and overall lack of intrest in WOW, my PC is nowhere near able to even run WOW. Here's a good comic strip dealing with this a bit...

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20060608/lft060609.gif

JAR
Jun 9, 2006, 06:16 PM
Well I hope the cities in PSU don't get as crowded as, I don't know say Ogrimmar!!! It was particularly due to the fact the auction house was located there, which reminds me I think the idea of a PSU auction house would be sweet, until the duping worms it's way into the game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 9, 2006, 06:25 PM
On 2006-06-07 14:58, RoboKy wrote:

On 2006-06-06 19:52, SgtShligger wrote:

A novice can not only kill something, they can kill even a good player. I was trying to say that the skills for shopping, money skills, nettiquite and gameplay time are something that younger people don't have and they don't become high lvls in MMORPGs because of this. The exception I was pointing out was WOW because it is so easy. And then someone brought up that 13 year old major league gaming thing and I said that first person shooters were'nt like mmorpgs that require time and I meant younger people.
FPS are'nt really a straight forward measurement of skill because you don't face off right in front of your opponent, you can one shot them, and it's a team game (unless you dual or something, but that still get one lucky kill and run away until time's up).

It's as simple as this. FPS's require great amounts of skill to master and some good tactics. MMO's on the other hand have very little skill required but you have a lot mroe tactics involved and there is a greater need for strategizing.

Rubesahl
Jun 9, 2006, 07:49 PM
I'll compare PSU with WOW in one way I can think of, design. PSU has much better art design than WoW >_> I know some people like wow's weird taste of colors and character models but for [[[ME]]] they are inferior <_< I could go as far to say PSU looks better than WoW. Sure its not as advanced in graphics technology but the way it uses good design with the technology at hand is what makes PSU better looking that WoW imho. Otherwise I can't compare them. I can compare you EQ2 with WoW, especially since I played both (I picked EQ2 >_> I was a EQ hater too lol) but I can't really compare WoW directly to PSU. I can say 'fun factor' though. For me PSO had much higher multiplayer fun factor than your avarage MMORPG (Anarchy Online and Guild Wars being the main exception). Plus in PSO the point of playing online is through teams and I like that, I like how you make a team and do missions, I preffer that than being an hour: "LVL 43 WIZARD LFG" while in PSO I'd get online and play with somebody >_> I don't have the time to be in a guild in MMORPGs which is a better way to find teams in those type of games so I've pretty much accomodated my PSO playstyle to EQ2 lol I play with 2 people I know in rl everytime I get online and there but I'm still waiting for PSU so I can go back to having quick games with strangers.

So for me PSU will be better than WoW and many MMORPGs in terms of how much fun I'll have with the game nad how visually appealing it is for me.

Kyuu
Jun 9, 2006, 07:54 PM
I'm not sure where anyone gets the impression that WoW is graphically advanced, because it's really not. Even when it came out, there were complaints about its graphics. While I don't know where PSU sits compared to WoW in terms of technical graphics issues, I can say for certain that it looks a lot better, even on the PS2 (with the exception of PS2's jaggy edges, of course). The fact that PSO has great art and a great style probably accounts for a large portion of that, but by no means is it substantially behind WoW technically speaking, either.

Tystys
Jun 10, 2006, 01:06 AM
I'm not really hoping for PSU to "crush" WoW's numbers, but I would like them to be semi on par with that of a regular MMORPG. Seriously, only a few hundred people is REALLY going to suck.

Fossil
Jun 10, 2006, 04:57 AM
As long as Sega does their job and actually protects PSU and constantly updates/upgrades things unlike they did with PSO, it should be fine. I think PSO could've lasted the last couple years with a huge player base had Sega actually done more about the duping and FSODers.

patient
Jun 10, 2006, 10:22 AM
People still play FFXI? [/ponder]

After taking toons to significant heights in UO, AO, DAoC, FFXI, SwG and WoW, I wouldn’t think to even put PSU in the same thread as any of these MMOs.

PSU will be a fantastic session of entertainment, but the "Massive" isn't there. PSU was not designed to facilitate millions of players; it wasn't even developed with expansion in mind. There is no "End Game" as far as we know either.

I view it as Single player story, that allows you to continue to play in that universe for a ::longer:: time than normal. =)

The fighting in PSU is refreshing and well executed, but comparing it to when myself and 39 others are taking something down with over 1 Million HP... is madness.
Apples and Oranges? Try Apples and Rambutans.

I am reading a lot of "Fanboi"ism in here, it would be better to read about people's objective opinions or insight rather than how your 75[Insert Class] is paid millions of Gil to be a tour guide. This is the part of the post where I do /rolleyes.

I can't wait for PSU to hit the shelves, but I don't think it’s going to be pulling myself or others from their guild’s Blackwing Lair or AQ20 schedule.

I am actually a little mad at this game at the moment. I followed it every second for the good 4 months leading up to E3, but the second I heard that there was no PS2 HD support planned something inside my heart.. died - Violently I might add. I was thinking "OMFG! Finally a themed MMORPG developed by the Japanese that will be done right! Roaming the Universe in my own ship! Content Galore!! Content Galore! Maybe even Dynamic Content Galore!! Colonize planets PS style! Player made cities!! Cute Beast Girls with cat ears that have more than 4 face options and don’t look like the product of Feral Incest! Space Techno-esque PvP…. Its... happening! It’s finally Happening!!!! Yay!" ... -_-

I then realize that games are made for one thing and one thing only which unfortunately is not to entertain you, but to make money, boatloads of it. Well, investing millions into a PS themed MMO with a 10 year projected lifespan isn't going to happen anytime soon I think. We'll see, maybe if PSU sells like crazy and the subscriptions base is enough, they might take it to another platform or something.

::pray::

Rubesahl
Jun 10, 2006, 10:43 AM
I actually wouldn't want an expansive PSU as you see it... That's why I play PSO, to not play the average MMORPG with its time consuming hassles. I love MMORPGs but PSO/Us gameplay is so much refreshing for me. I do think making a bigger world is always welcome, and they seem to have done something about that too.

physic
Jun 10, 2006, 01:38 PM
On 2006-06-10 08:22, patient wrote:

People still play FFXI? [/ponder]

After taking toons to significant heights in UO, AO, DAoC, FFXI, SwG and WoW, I wouldn’t think to even put PSU in the same thread as any of these MMOs.......... insert more stuff herer, or scrool up 1 whole post!

MMORPG is fine but i really dont think every online game has to be an MMO to have value. The fact the pso will not be an MMO is part of teh appeal of it. Sure MMO's are cool and have thier place, but i dont see why every rpg that wants to go on line has to have 40 people fighting million hp monsters. the more people their are in a fight the more useless you are. Most MMOs make you just a soldier in someones army, and that limits your enjoyment unless you have like 40 people you want to play with, as well as teh quality and skill of the people. Who needs 40 people for an epic battle? I'll say fighting the weapons of ffvii was just as difficult and more entertaining than taking most hnm.
Building cities and flying stars? ehh id rather build my charachter and fight interesting battles with a small group.
And yeah teh lack of a harddrive support does suck it really limits teh games potential in every respect but its done, so may as well just get used to it, or let it slide i suupose.

SolRiver
Jun 12, 2006, 12:03 AM
Personally, after I quit PSO ep1~3, I played FPS and RO/lineage 2 for awhile. Until something almost like PSO came in, and it was "Guild Wars", that I played and loved for more than a year now. (no monthly fee + fast pvp + strategy = ftw, it is practically PSO ep1+2+3 at the same time)

I have been waiting for PSU for a LONG LONG time now >< and Can't wait to play it.

While GW has about 1.5+ million users, they actually grabbed alot of player base from WoW (GW and WoW came out about the same time, but not only did GW survive the juggernaut, it stole some WoW population).

Personally, I can't stand alot of western made MMO until GW (mainly because of really ugly character designs, as if western game developer have no sense of beauty).

One thing I do miss was, big scenes. No giant boss in GW, just annoying ones. Lineage 2 sort of feed my taste for that once in awhile, but that game was a grinding machine, so I can't really take it that much.

What I see as the most crucial is, PSU or any new MMORPG need to do in order to increase in size from these juggernauts are:

-Making the others seem old and obselete, with your new technological break through.
-In some way, advertise yourself as a game that is more worthy of players' money.
-Beautiful graphic (first impression are almost always seen first)
-Heavy content to keep the players here before they move on.
-Good friendship system, to help players make new friends in new game easier.

While the part they really going to have trouble with are:

-Clans/Guilds, one may not want to just leave them behind.
-High level achievement in games make one want to keep their achievement, hence, not want to move on.
-Friends.

Anyway... where there is action skills + smarts, I am there.

EDIT: Oh wow, I checked back and posted in PSO-World again after almost exactly 3 years!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolRiver on 2006-06-11 22:15 ]</font>

Rider
Jun 13, 2006, 08:35 PM
I was thinking about this earlier. WoW has become quite boring, you work torwards something just to do the samething in a different spot with a different mob. I thought that was just my dislike to raiding but pvping got boring aswell. I'm going to quit WoW until the expansion at least but this game is pulling me away from WoW completely. I, for one really like Phantasy Star games. So this is something that has me squirming around waiting to play. But I'm not the whole community of WoW. I doubt PSU will kill WoW. You can't really kill off a game anyway with just one game release. It takes alot of games to do that until they've suffered enough player loss to shut down or until they make WoW 2 to kill off the first one. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif WoW is way too popular to be going anywhere soon.

I'm not bashing WoW or anything. Well... maybe a little. I'm just burnt out on the game. My idea of fun right now isn't raiding just to raid the next content or pvping against the same groups and same strats in the same 3 battlegrounds over and over. Time for something new!

Ryudo
Jun 14, 2006, 07:27 AM
It's funny really,people are calling WoW this unstoppable juggernaut, it isnt, it's a fad, the lastest jump for MMO hoppers and the latest blizzard game, when blizzard release their next game or the next big MMO comes out, WoW wont hold water.

WoW is a very very mediocre game and doesnt offer anything that a million crappy korean MMO's don't.

Kyuu
Jun 14, 2006, 03:14 PM
That isn't entirely true. There are a lot, and I mean a LOT, of first time MMO-players who play WoW and never played any other MMO. I've even met many people who never really played videogames until they got started on WoW.

However, I also agree that calling WoW an "unstoppable juggernaut" is a bit extreme. It's reached the point in its life where many, many people are getting burnt out on it, and although the expansion will postpone its decline for a while, my bet is that its population will start declining well before it hits the 7 million mark.

OdinTyler
Jun 14, 2006, 03:36 PM
I've heard some good news I've been meaning to say. A source still on EQOA has told me that word of PSU has reached those servers. Apparently, some have been discussing it & when PSU does come out, they fully intend to jump ship. Of course these are the same type of ppl that jumped when FFXI & WoW came out so there's no telling where their loyalties are. It's good to know that they were at least considering it & that the population of PSU stands to be bigger than PSO was (which is always a good thing).

lostinseganet
Jun 14, 2006, 09:00 PM
On 2006-06-14 13:36, OdinTyler wrote:
I've heard some good news I've been meaning to say. A source still on EQOA has told me that word of PSU has reached those servers. Apparently, some have been discussing it & when PSU does come out, they fully intend to jump ship. Of course these are the same type of ppl that jumped when FFXI & WoW came out so there's no telling where their loyalties are. It's good to know that they were at least considering it & that the population of PSU stands to be bigger than PSO was (which is always a good thing).

What was the poppulation at pso's peek?