PDA

View Full Version : Will the Xbox360 version suffer needless criticisms?

Saner
Jun 5, 2006, 07:38 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/finalfantasy11/review.html?sid=6148572

taking that as an example. I think people who plan on getting the Xbox360 version of PSU shouldn't expect too much out of it.

*like achievements really don't matter. before Xbox360 was even released, players simply played for the fun, not for some points that make your score underneath your GamerTag much bigger and your 'medals' prettier.
So if PSU doesn't have any 'achievements', you shouldn't think anything you accomplish isn't worth something without proof or points that you have done those things.

*a fee is natural and necessary. I never consider an online fee for this game, even on top of a Xbox Live Gold account, to be a bad thing because the servers for this game are not Microsoft's.

Plus the servers primary job is to provide and maintain a multiplayer enviornment that people all over the region can play together. And that really isn't cheap to build and maintain.

*communication. well ya headset will be supported but if PSU doesn't support it like one expects it to, they must remember, like other online RPGs, the main form of communication is still through keyboard/text-chat.

Since I also own a Xbox360, I admit most Xbox360 gamers I met expect everything to be handed to them on a platinum plate,
but this topic is really just a wake-up call to not be so harsh and unfair about PSU's features and 'lack of features', no matter what system you get it on. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

TheGreyCliche
Jun 5, 2006, 07:47 PM
Well met. I too am a 360 owner, and you're right. Though I couldn't care less if there are no achievements are won from PSU, i know some people would. I for one hope voice chat is supported, just because if xbox is on its own server, there would be no unfair advantages to players on other systems.

also, i heard a rumor that PSUX only requires the PSU monthly fee and Xbox Live Silver, but that could only be speculation.

Saner
Jun 5, 2006, 07:51 PM
On 2006-06-05 17:47, TheGreyCliche wrote:
Well met. I too am a 360 owner, and you're right. Though I couldn't care less if there are no achievements are won from PSU, i know some people would. I for one hope voice chat is supported, just because if xbox is on its own server, there would be no unfair advantages to players on other systems.

also, i heard a rumor that PSUX only requires the PSU monthly fee and Xbox Live Silver, but that could only be speculation.

ya I heard FF11 on Xbox360 doesnt require Gold account.

so I think PSU can be played with a free Silver account and you just pay the Sega fee. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Stray_Mag
Jun 5, 2006, 08:01 PM
Don't take this the wrong way as I too am an owner of an XBox360, but I'm somewhat glad to see due criticism. The 360 has its place, and for me it's just not MMO's. It wasn't for FFXI and it wont be for PSU. (Incase you're wondering, I use it solely for FPS.) It's unanimous that the 360 has better graphics than most PC's and all PS2's can pull off, but MMO's didn't hold priority with graphics. I'll be taking PSU onto my Laptop, so as not to be tethered to the wall by cords and adaptors and whatnot. When I travel, (And I do quite often) I want to be able to take PSU with me with as little hassle as possible.

The article's "cons" made it seem like FFXI let down the XBox360's capabilities, but the game wasn't designed around the system, as it came out for PS2 and PC first. Since it is the same with PSU, I'll expect the backlash, but I'll keep in mind they won't matter to my gaming style.

TheGreyCliche
Jun 5, 2006, 08:05 PM
It's absolutely true that xbox has never been the place for MMO's... but what about people like me? i have no ps2 and my computer is of questionable worth. the 360 is my ownly outlet, and i know more likely than not i will be let down (i'm still getting over the TFLO cancellation), but i must strive forward... i must hang on to hope.

Delicios
Jun 5, 2006, 08:05 PM
It should be said as well, that some PCs are capable of meeting a 360s looks, especially if said gamer is using a conventional TV.

A PC gamer with a hardcore rig of say a geforce 7900 and 2 gig ram on a HD monitor with a high refresh rate could possibly surpass a 360 user with a CRT TV.

Saner
Jun 5, 2006, 08:11 PM
well um from what I hear Xbox360 handles an mmorpg really well, and that one is linked to the other systems too.

of course the general Xbox360 community might not accept it but at least that game had the linkage to keep the Xbox360 owners to the rest of the fans of that mmorpg.

I can't imagine how lackluster it would have been if the Xbox360 version was unlinked for that mmorpg.

And this is why I wonder how the PSU version of Xbox360 will be decided.

linked with the other systems,

despite any low scores or rants or the majorty of X360 players avoiding it,

at least the X360 owners who play and enjoy PSU online can have the full community in their region from all systems available for social and prosperous adventures. it would be like playing on PS2 or PC but with a Xbox 360, it's basically the same thing as long as you use keyboard when necessary. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Saner
Jun 5, 2006, 08:12 PM
On 2006-06-05 18:05, Delicios wrote:
It should be said as well, that some PCs are capable of meeting a 360s looks, especially if said gamer is using a conventional TV.

A PC gamer with a hardcore rig of say a geforce 7900 and 2 gig ram on a HD monitor with a high refresh rate could possibly surpass a 360 user with a CRT TV.

ummmmmmm what this this have to do with anything? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/ducky.gif

Stray_Mag
Jun 5, 2006, 08:19 PM
Rebuttle to my statement about FFXI coming out for Xbox360 not meeting the graphical capabilities of Oblivion or Halo 2. THey are simply stating that some PC's can be as capable as the 360... i guess...

Saner
Jun 5, 2006, 08:30 PM
On 2006-06-05 18:19, Stray_Mag wrote:
Rebuttle to my statement about FFXI coming out for Xbox360 not meeting the graphical capabilities of Oblivion or Halo 2. THey are simply stating that some PC's can be as capable as the 360... i guess...

naturally.

anyways FF11 is like 5-7 years old. and it's a mmorpg with a real-time day/night world, so it has extra limits to how pretty it can be.

Kers
Jun 5, 2006, 10:06 PM
Yeah, so the 360 is hosting another average wanna-bee magical-EQ-experience mmorpg or the next WWII game - there are tons of these trendy games with no new and inventive content out there-. I don't expect the developers to give PSU a make-over for the 360 version just because the platform is capable of better graphics.

First of all, Sega did a great job using the level of graphics they've already chosen.
Second, from my mmorpg experiences, developers consistently create more bugs and glitches when they release new content or fix old stuff that was perfect lol.
Though most of those bad experiences are due to SOE's lack of customer care and crap-shoot beta tests, it can happen in any game.

On the subject of extra content in the form of expansions..there being a ton of data crammed into the disc for a few years of future events doesn't scream no expansion for equal gameplay on the PS2. After PSU has been out for awhile and we've played a lot of the content, PS3 should be available for those loyal fans. Sadly, I doubt the possibility of a character transfer.. and I wonder how it would separate characters from PS2 owners seeing or having given new game content like items. Maybe an update would put all the items on PS2 memory cards. I dunno, I don't care cuz I have a 360 ^.^

Anyways, Sega put PSO BB Exclusively PC, and for PSU, I suppose there's no reason not to release something like that for the PC and 360 in the form of an expansion.

P.S. I'm still crossing my fingers for a downloadable demo to tie me over until the release. It's hard to wait for this game to come out and not think about playing it when you're down to a few months. (hopefully!)

Evan101
Jun 5, 2006, 11:46 PM
using ffXI is a bad ex.
anyways I own ffXI for my 360, and those reviews are retarded. it just depends on whether your a hardcore mmorpg player or not. i for one love FFXI, and yes, i do expect ALOT out of psu. regardless of the system.

Ferali
Jun 6, 2006, 12:10 AM
I really don't understand this threads M.O., what are you getting at? I thought the main thing was that PS2 + PC servers will be seperated from the XBOX 360 server. That's why people aren't playing XBOX 360 (if you can help it). I don't think it really has anything to do with the 'features.' I mean the headset would be cool, but really it's a double edged sword (Halo 2 comes to mind). Besides that, nothing really stands out about any of the three systems besides the server thing, which will probably make or break the decision for most people. That is if ST goes through with it.

StarWind09
Jun 6, 2006, 04:13 PM
haha a fellow Kentuckian?!
Well in my own opinion I would like the servers to be shared with all platforms and as far as the graphics and extra content that 360 user's may want is stupid. Who really plays any of the PSO games for the graphics? The graphics fpr PSO on gamecube and xbox weren't very good...
The only experience with voicechat I have is through Halo2 and that is terrible! Either way keyboard or headset it wont be bad... there is always muting =)

ChemicalO
Jun 6, 2006, 07:40 PM
We should not be so quick to put down voice chat, yes I play halo 2 and i hate all the idiots. But when you have a good group of online friends, voice chat will be great, Now on the 360 we can rate and be rated for for online rep too.

HyperShot-X-
Jun 7, 2006, 12:24 AM
On 2006-06-05 21:46, Evan101 wrote:
using ffXI is a bad ex.
anyways I own ffXI for my 360, and those reviews are retarded. it just depends on whether your a hardcore mmorpg player or not. i for one love FFXI, and yes, i do expect ALOT out of psu. regardless of the system.

i agree on all your pts except i chose not to get into ffxi & wait til PSU hits 360, not b/c i dislike such mmorpg EverQst style game but b/c i just can't commit to put enuff time into it and also, i am still not done w/ psoX,

indeed, those game reviews are lemon when it comes to MMO's, there is just no game reviewer on earth who would spend hundreds or thousands of hrs playing just to rate a game, and they give scores like they played thru the whole thing, i remember a few yrs ago, Tommy Tallerico on G4 game review show gave PSO ep1&2 a mere 3.0 out of 10, the lowest score ever on that show(the other guy gave 9.5, btw), just b/c he couldn't get into that game (i got nothing against him, just as an ex.). Simply, there is no justice done thru review scores which r just the numbers. Whether PSU gets lower review score or higher score, probably wuldn't have much impact on those fans who been anticipating for so long.
..so i'd say it's crime to use ffxi as an example for how PSU might turn out to be afterall.

on the issue of whether linked or non-linked server will make or break PSU 360,.. if it's really better to have all text chat based community w/o voice chat option, why did i keep hearing PSOBB was the worst community out of all?
is linked server for PSU 360 really the only way for it to survive? srry, i don't think so.

now, what I humbly expect out of PSU on 360 for what i'm paying for are:

- high def graphix on 16:9 wide screen HDtv run on next gen system. Are most ppl upgrading their 4:3 CRT tube to flat panel LCD or HD tv a few yrs in the future? Aren't we all living in high def era now where conventional CRT a thing of the past and wide screen HDtv as standard?
For those who think they dont play any PSO games for graphics, well, think again when PSO console version got upgraded to PSOBB on pc w/ high def graphix, was i the only one having orgasm looking at those pretty pics?

- a fresh new platform w/ much possiblity on expansions and updates as said in E3 interview as 'Long term project spanning yrs' when compared to ps2 hardware at the last phase of system life becoming obsolete b4 u even know it. Advantages on technologically more advanced system that will more likely have less errors and system failures, faster loading, secure online experience, etc.

- lag free voice chat in game(*optional), of course, many ppl seem to despise it from bad experiences they had from random ppl in lobby or other games. well, try to get to know fellow players and make some good freinds online, voice chat will make u forget all that when used right with the right ppl if u r selective on who you play with. You have control over this option to enhance your own gaming pleasure, no ones forcing you to use it to get abused by others. Only those who truly experienced it would know what it really worths, priceless.

i guess not all can appreciate enhancements and improved features on the game they play, for others they know what they want and expect to get them for what they r paying for.
i know what i'll be getting & i don't think i'm expecting too much out of the best darn game of life, and oh, i pay my bills too, thank u.

Uri
Jun 7, 2006, 01:01 AM
I think you may be too quick to put down the 360 altogether. As a 360 owner I'm looking forward to playing PSU on my Xbox. If not just for voice chat (which it will have), it will also be for my friends list, better graphics than te PS2 version, better online servers, and the 360 remote just can't be beat.

I think you're being too harsh. Some may prefer the "traditional" way of playing ORPGs on a keyboard, but I for one would rather have the newer ways of playing to enjoy the game better.

Tetzuro
Jun 9, 2006, 04:04 AM
i played pso x and lemme tell u voice and pso/psu will be great psox was wonderful , from time to time there was morons but when ur were in a party it was great, i made some really good friends over psox and we would talk for hours and quest and have a good time, a better time than typing on some old keyboard, i played pso since DC and never ince PSOX did i have that kinda expeareance with it