PDA

View Full Version : Online Extra Mode?

DoubleJG
Jun 6, 2006, 02:28 AM
Ok. I've read in many places that PSU's Extra mode is made specificly for offline game play mode. Yet one of my friends recently told me that in order to play offline extra mode (and even story mode) you need to be connected to the internet for both PC and PS2 versions. Is this true? Or will you be able to play Story and Extra mode offline (meaning not connected to the internet)?

I'm pretty much just trying to get some 100% varification here. Thank you for your input!

xJermariox
Jun 6, 2006, 02:37 AM
Nah. Extra mode is offline and is avaliable after completing Story Mode.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xJermariox on 2006-06-06 01:30 ]</font>

Ether
Jun 6, 2006, 03:22 AM
Actually, its been reported that you will have to be connected at all times

http://www.pso-world.com/article.php?sid=1479

"as seen on Takao Miyoshi's blog, your computer will have to be connected to the Internet at all times, even if you just want to play the offline story mode. This is a security feature that will make it harder to cheat in the game."

I dont think this applies to the PS2 version though, I've never heard of a console game requiring an internet connection

xJermariox
Jun 6, 2006, 03:31 AM
Oh damn, I can't believe i missed that.. *hides in closet*

Saner
Jun 6, 2006, 03:50 AM
OH MY GOSH this is scary. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif O_O

hopefully the PS2 version doesnt require internet connection to play the offline story AND Extra mode offline!!!!

that would just be plain unfair and contradict the meaning of 'offline'.

Keyeszx
Jun 6, 2006, 10:19 PM
i know they're probaly saying it but there will be a loop hole around it or sometin otherwise i cant play this game
plus do they mean connected to the internet or connected to the sega direvt/link or watever it is called and have to pay

Saner
Jun 7, 2006, 02:36 AM
either way that's stupid having to be connected to use the offline story and/or Extra mode. >_<

that sounds just like that stupid PSO Xbox requirement to play offline.

what if people can't access the internet???? the game would be totally USELESS to them!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif

Authenticate
Jun 7, 2006, 03:04 AM
They should get the PS2 version from what I've been reading, then. Who nowadays has a decent PC but no (or limited) internet access? I think it's stupid, too, but that's how they're setting it up. Just don't get the PC version if you can't get on the net when you want. Don't have a PS2 AND have no/limited internet access? You're SOL then. Sorry.

Sha_Hua
Jun 7, 2006, 03:08 AM
On 2006-06-06 01:31, xJermariox wrote:
Oh damn, I can't believe i missed that.. *hides in closet*

On 2006-06-06 01:50, Saner wrote:
OH MY GOSH this is scary. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif O_O

hopefully the PS2 version doesnt require internet connection to play the offline story AND Extra mode offline!!!!

that would just be plain unfair and contradict the meaning of 'offline'.

people hiding in the closet ain't scary. It becomes scary when they come out.

Kers
Jun 7, 2006, 03:27 AM
It's possible to play PSO Xbox Offline with an old Xbox Live account, but ya the only problem is getting an account on your Xbox

I can't recall exactly how my friends and I did it, but I think we copied my friends Xbox Live account file onto a memory card and put it in my Xbox, and we then created characters under his file.

That, or we registered his account on my Xbox and he then saved it to a memory card lol..

But anyways, we eventually were capable of playing offline =)

Saner
Jun 7, 2006, 03:42 AM
people hiding in the closet ain't scary. It becomes scary when they come out.

no I mean the possible requirement for even consoles to have an online account or connection to be able to play the offline modes.

that would completely cripple this game for those without internet and those who don't have access all the time.

even though there obviously wont be a fee to play offline, the connection/account requirement is just TOO unfair.

tank1
Jun 7, 2006, 03:54 AM
Hmm this having to be online to be offline junk is starting to sound like Half-Life 2's steam programme now that was a great idea *snort!*

Sha_Hua
Jun 7, 2006, 04:03 AM
On 2006-06-07 01:42, Saner wrote:
no I mean the possible requirement for even consoles to have an online account or connection to be able to play the offline modes.

that would completely cripple this game for those without internet and those who don't have access all the time.

even though there obviously wont be a fee to play offline, the connection/account requirement is just TOO unfair.

True.
I ain't expecting it on the PS2. I am guessing it's offline will have it's own protection methods.
I know a lot of people that still don't have internet on their PS2. Add a adapter, router and internet subscription to your game and it will become quite expensive.

What I am wondering now is will we be able to play the offline part of the PC game without paying the online fee?!
I was planning to play offline before starting to pay the fee. Playing offline first is recommended. Saves me 1-2 months of payment. But now I might consider just starting with online from the start and play offline when the server are down or have maintanence.

DraginHikari
Jun 7, 2006, 05:34 AM
I don't believe there has been any word on this effecting the English verison of the game.

http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=psu

On the English verison page the requirements only state: Boardband Recommanded

It says nothing about it being required in order to play.

The thing is that could be true for Japan from what I've heard Boardband internet is more commonly used and accessible... there are alot of place that Boardband still isn't avaible in the US and Europe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DraginHikari on 2006-06-07 03:39 ]</font>

Dragon_Knight
Jun 7, 2006, 08:22 AM
I hate to say it but if you need an account just to play the offline game, your paying that extra amount per month to play offline too. With PSOBB you have to have an account to play the game, which also means as long as you have the account you have to pay for it.

Sha_Hua
Jun 7, 2006, 08:49 AM
On the Sega site they probably mean:
Connectivity: Internet required, Online Broadband recommended

OdinTyler
Jun 7, 2006, 11:12 AM
OK, here's what I've learned from reading & talking with many on here:

1. Broadband isn't required for PSU (but, HIGHLY recommended).

2. The PC & X360 versions will require you to have an online acct regardless if you play online or offline & that you'd have to be online regardless. No word if the PS2 version will be like this.

3. As for Extra Mode, you don't have to finish the game to get it. It's already been said that when you progress far enough in the game (so far it hasn't specified how far), you can meet up with NPCs in the game & get their Partner Cards. In doing so, you can group up with them in Extra Mode & of course, you'll have your own custom char to do so. If it took beating the whole game to do so, it would feel a lil like Zelda (2nd playthrough & all).

DoubleJG
Jun 7, 2006, 11:49 PM
Say someone is connected with dial-up yet they're playing the Extra Mode (meaning that no other players are there, reducing the amount of lag ofcourse). Will they still lag horrendously? I can understand a small amount of lag, yet if you're playing alone (excluding those NPC allies) then the amount of lag shouldn't be too bad... right?

I also agree with the people who state that the PS2 version won't require an account or to be connected. Take PSO for example. For Xbox you needed an account simply due to the Xbox Live factor and they wanted to try and get some more of your money http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif (but ya, also cuz Xbox is way way about Xbox Live). PSOBB (PSOPC known to some), requires an account and an internet connection because it is server side in order to help reduce cheating and what not. These two versions can be similar to PSU360 and PSUPC. However, PSOGC didn't require internet connection OR an online account. You were just able to play. I believe that the PS2 version of PSU will be similar to the Gamecube one because Sony doesn't have it's own Online service that charges a fee. It's just, well, playing online XD. Because of this I don't think they'll be forcing the requirement of anything. This is just an assumption (and also a dream for this poor dial-upper lol), and all we can really do is just assume until the people of PSU tell us what we want to know.

Saner
Jun 8, 2006, 12:49 AM
well that dumb online requirement didn't save PSOX from cheating anyways. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

metatime
Jun 8, 2006, 01:57 AM
Xbox can be played offline once you got the tag on it.

Saner
Jun 8, 2006, 09:34 PM
the tag hm?

I guess the poor 100% offline people out there will have to break into a library and use that connection to get the 'tag'. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

scott1114
Jun 10, 2006, 02:58 PM
It would just be plain stupid from SEGA, a great way of losing potetntial PS2 buyers. Most people who got a xbox360 already pay for the xboxlive. But at least 60% of people on the ps2 have no internet connection. And I was wondering, if the servers are down online, will we be able to play offline? If it takes a constant internet connection, I wont buy this game, even though i got one on my PS2. Why? rely to SEGA for both off and online is a great way of getting disapointed

zandra117
Jun 10, 2006, 03:18 PM
when you furst turn on an xbox360 it asks you to go through a setup for an xbox live silver account or enter your account information for a gold account. you dont need a broadband internet connection for a silver account. its just something that allows you to access the live servers whenever you plug it up to the internet to download a patch or update or play ffxi.

In other words if you get a 360 you are gauranteed an online account.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-06-10 13:19 ]</font>

Saner
Jun 11, 2006, 10:05 PM
you are guaranteed an online account even if you don't have an ISP? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DoubleJG
Jun 15, 2006, 12:53 AM
Oh that's interesting. I didn't know that 360 supported dial-up for certain games. I knew that FFXI was dial-up compatible through PS2 but 360? Hmmm maybe I should get back into FFXI then... XD

daddy_zach
Jun 16, 2006, 03:58 PM
On 2006-06-06 01:22, Ether wrote:
Actually, its been reported that you will have to be connected at all times

http://www.pso-world.com/article.php?sid=1479

"as seen on Takao Miyoshi's blog, your computer will have to be connected to the Internet at all times, even if you just want to play the offline story mode. This is a security feature that will make it harder to cheat in the game."

I dont think this applies to the PS2 version though, I've never heard of a console game requiring an internet connection

The xbox version required xbox live to play.

daddy_zach
Jun 16, 2006, 04:12 PM
You all know that the PS2 version of PSU will be just like the GC version of PSO.

1. GC dident have any other games online besides PSO,or its own special connection like XBOX live

2. PS2 doesnt have one either.

3.All you will haev to do is pay for the game and able to play offline and extra mode

You guys are just blowing this out of proportion. Its most likely going to be exactly like the GC you can play offline whenever and online if you have an accout. I dont know why ther would go through all the trouble to do what all you guys are talking about. If they do they are loosing PS2 clients.