PDA

View Full Version : What to do

linkzone
Jun 6, 2006, 10:16 PM
Ok Im in a pickle of a jam. Or a jam of a pickle. Either way its not good. I live in Japan, so in August Ill be able to just walk into any store and buy the PSU game for PC. But my problem is should I or not? Its not that I dont want the game, I cant wait for it. Its that I wont understand the storyline, and online I wont be able to talk to anyone really cause I dont know Japanese. Plus, when the game comes out in America I dont know if the servers will be connected. And I have alot of friends state side that I got convinced to get this game. What should I do? Buy it early, not understand it, or wait for its USA release?

Keyeszx
Jun 6, 2006, 10:21 PM
i ay wait for the US release if u can wait and also if u barely have ne friends state side then tell them to import the game if its just a few friends though

Kyuu
Jun 6, 2006, 11:51 PM
Well, if you can afford it, I'd say pick up the game in Japan when it comes out, do what you can with it, then import the US version when it comes out. If you can't afford to pick up both... then that's a pickle of a jam that stumps me too.

_Tek_
Jun 7, 2006, 12:10 AM
If you seriously live permanently in japan, you better start learning the language.

Tycho
Jun 7, 2006, 12:52 AM
Yeah, learn Japanese. You'd be needing it anyway. XD

vitius137
Jun 7, 2006, 12:58 AM
I wanna learn japanese T_T I should really start actually getting lessons or something

the first step is denial..... wait thats for something else... I don't know where to start T_T maybe my school will offer courses for learning japanese.... seems doubtful though.

Sha_Hua
Jun 7, 2006, 03:42 AM
Quite the dilemma here.

I agree with _Tek_. If you live there you should learn the language. Can be very usefull in some cases.
Offline mode could be in english (text) though options menu but I can't garanty that. If it isn't you can probably best do online mode.

If you are there for a short period maybe you can borrow the game from a japanese friend.
If you are gonna play in the states later on you'll need a new game. But if you have enough money get both games so you can swap the english audio files with the japanese ones. Otherwise youre game will look like an old kung fu movie -_-. Still this might not work but I am gonna try.

We might be able to give better advice if you tell a bit more of your self. But if you want to do that is all up to your self.

linkzone
Jun 7, 2006, 04:50 AM
Im in the military and here til aug of 2007

mechatra
Jun 7, 2006, 04:53 AM
August 2007?

Learn Kana - Fast ^_^

I would deffinatley suggest picking up both versions if that's possible. There's going to be quite a few of us importers on the JP version I believe so you wont be totally alone, and menu's and basic speech is quite simple to pick up over about a month or so.

But yeah, in the end it's really up to you.

Sha_Hua
Jun 7, 2006, 08:16 AM
On 2006-06-07 02:53, mechatra wrote:
August 2007?

Learn Kana - Fast ^_^

I would deffinatley suggest picking up both versions if that's possible. There's going to be quite a few of us importers on the JP version I believe so you wont be totally alone, and menu's and basic speech is quite simple to pick up over about a month or so.

But yeah, in the end it's really up to you.

Agree.
If you are there for over a year it will be worth learning it, if even for this game alone.

You will find a handfull of english speaking people playing on the japanese servers on this forum.
The menus will probably not be in simple Japanese. Basic Japanese isn't that hard to learn.

If you study a little Japanese before august 31st and with a little help from this forum you'll probably have no problem playing online or story mode. I guess you can make a choice now.

If story mode doesn't seem possible due to the language ask one of your friends to send the English audio files when the U.S. version is released and replace the Japanese ones. Should work... or not http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. Gonna try it vice versa, the english dub looked... ugly.

To conclude my lauwe pietpraat, I must say you are a lucky you know what beeing stationed there. Have fun.

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Jun 7, 2006, 08:25 AM
He's not asking whether or not he should learn japanese, He's asking whether he should buy the jp version or not. Learning japanese takes a hell of alot longer than you think. "Just learn kana" you make it sound so easy... Sure, Katakana and Hiragana might come quickly, but you'll need to know kanji as well. I've taken 2years worth, and I still couldn't manage to read any form of publication beyond an elementary level... Too much kanji.

Anyway... I think you should sit tight for a bit. Try and wait to see if ST releases any news on whether or not the servers will be linked, because if they are not, then your screwed as far as playing with US players goes. (unless you can buy two copies)

Spellbinder
Jun 7, 2006, 10:09 AM
On 2006-06-07 06:25, Non-Toxic-Crayons wrote:
He's not asking whether or not he should learn japanese, He's asking whether he should buy the jp version or not. Learning japanese takes a hell of alot longer than you think. "Just learn kana" you make it sound so easy... Sure, Katakana and Hiragana might come quickly, but you'll need to know kanji as well. I've taken 2years worth, and I still couldn't manage to read any form of publication beyond an elementary level... Too much kanji.

Anyway... I think you should sit tight for a bit. Try and wait to see if ST releases any news on whether or not the servers will be linked, because if they are not, then your screwed as far as playing with US players goes. (unless you can buy two copies)

PSOW: With the new downloadable missions and content, will players with the US version of the game have the same content and update frequency as players with the Japanese version of the game? To give you an idea of what we're talking about, there was sometimes online content in PSO that only was available only for players on the Japanese servers.

Takao Miyoshi: At this time, the servers are going to be separated for the US and Japanese versions of the game.

I think this piece of the interview is pretty self explanatory about linked servers... unfortunately http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

DizzyDi
Jun 7, 2006, 10:21 AM
Like someone said before me. I think you should buy the JP version, do what you can with it, then import the US version whenever it comes out.

And to all those that says he needs to learn Japanese, I think if he needed to learn it the military woulda set him up for some lessons.

Reystradamus
Jun 7, 2006, 10:32 AM
I say wait..its only a game..its not like its that hot chick from around the way that u always wanted is comin down 2 visit and she only speaks japanese..then i say u learn japanese...but its only a game..chill out...good things happens 2 those who wait!

Tycho
Jun 7, 2006, 04:47 PM
On 2006-06-07 06:16, Sha_Hua wrote:
To conclude my lauwe pietpraat, [...]
*laughs*

On 2006-06-07 02:50, linkzone wrote:
Im in the military and here til aug of 2007
US military? In Japan? Does that mean... Okinawa?!

On 2006-06-07 08:32, Reystradamus wrote:
its not like its that hot chick from around the way that u always wanted is comin down 2 visit and she only speaks japanese..
But wouldn't you say he'd have plenty of chances to meet nice girls anyway if he's still there for 1.5 years? ;p

Anyway, linkzone, whatever you do, have fun in there!

Ferali
Jun 7, 2006, 08:34 PM
It takes 2 years from living in Japan to learn Japanese well enough to understand the game. The thing is, you could just learn the menu's (there's a translation on this site). Unless you want to make it a point to play the single player, I'd recommend just playing online, knowing the menu translations, and speak in english online. About half the japanese players will be able to reply in broken english, about 10% can speak pretty damn well. I'd say buy it.

RoninJoku
Jun 7, 2006, 10:40 PM
I say wait for the english version... Unless of course you have a ton of money... Then buy both! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Inazuma
Jun 7, 2006, 10:56 PM
just learn how to read katakana (its not that hard)

most of psu is in english anyway. if you can read katakana, you should be able to get by. the hard part will be talking w/ the jp players.

they arent too willing to use it, but most jp know some english. also, there will be a handful of english players on there, such as myself. im sure we will exchange partner cards and help each other translate the game. i know enough jp to communicate w/ other players and i watch jp television w/o eng subs everyday.

so if you decide on jp ver, i dont think it will be too hard for you to learn w/ the help from others. the jp are really amazing ppl, btw.

linkzone
Jun 8, 2006, 10:02 AM
Totally agree, like many things, if the military wanted me to have it theyd have issued it to me. Such as lessons for Japanese, a wife, a new house/car, or a life.

On 2006-06-07 08:21, DizzyDi wrote:
Like someone said before me. I think you should buy the JP version, do what you can with it, then import the US version whenever it comes out.

And to all those that says he needs to learn Japanese, I think if he needed to learn it the military woulda set him up for some lessons.

OdinTyler
Jun 8, 2006, 10:38 AM
If you can afford both, buy both. You have to ask yourself if you're going to be going online with PSU. If you are, you may want to save that for the US version. However, you being in the military (& moving around), Idk if you'd be able to do so. Just depends on what mode(s) you're getting the game for.

zandra117
Jun 8, 2006, 11:26 AM
If its like the old PSO games, It has a language setting for the console versions. I say buy it for xbox360 if you have one because ps2 has that stupid language barrier thing that prevents you from playing imports.

-Klaus-
Jun 8, 2006, 03:03 PM
...How the heck do you live in Japan without speaking Japanese..? ._.

Kyuu
Jun 8, 2006, 03:23 PM
On 2006-06-08 13:03, -Klaus- wrote:

He's stationed there for the military. I also have a friend stationed in Japan, and neither nor any of his buddies can say more than a "konnichi wa" or "ohayoo." They spend time on the base, and when they go out, there are many places that cater to foreigners, and have staff who can converse in english. It's really quite easy to live in Japan and not speak Japanese, especially for military people stationed there.

-Klaus-
Jun 8, 2006, 05:33 PM
On 2006-06-08 13:23, Kyuu wrote:

On 2006-06-08 13:03, -Klaus- wrote:

He's stationed there for the military. I also have a friend stationed in Japan, and neither nor any of his buddies can say more than a "konnichi wa" or "ohayoo." They spend time on the base, and when they go out, there are many places that cater to foreigners, and have staff who can converse in english. It's really quite easy to live in Japan and not speak Japanese, especially for military people stationed there.

Ohh. My bad. ._.

linkzone
Jun 8, 2006, 08:37 PM
Its ok. I love Japan and the people here are cool as heck. Many are nice, but e few dont like us. But its like that everywhere. Anyway, when the game comes out Ill ask the retailer if it has an english subtitle mode for story line gameplay, that way ill be able to play the story mode til the us version comes out. And since I cant use my online guy offline and visa versa then I wont have to start over on story mode when it comes out. Thanks for all your help guys. Being in Japan has its perks but all mountains have a down side.