PDA

View Full Version : Where is the HUmar love?

Marks
Jun 6, 2006, 11:17 PM
I always play a human hunter and I'm wondering why I haven't seen anything exciting for human hunters yet. Beasts and casts get some super attacks. Also I hope I am horrinly misinformed but I have heard magic spells (techniques) are now exclusive to forces? What's the point of being a human then if you can't use magic anyway?

Spellbinder
Jun 6, 2006, 11:35 PM
To tear enemies to itsy bitsy pieces with dazzling and powerful Photon Arts? Or perhaps disarm and blow away enemies with proficient use of various Guns and Cannons?

_Tek_
Jun 7, 2006, 12:11 AM
marks should probably read more about how the game's balance and been shifted around.

Tycho
Jun 7, 2006, 12:53 AM
I think the low 'job' level cap is plenty of an argument to go with a Human character. But then again there are four chara slots, so yeah. XP

Uri
Jun 7, 2006, 01:02 AM
I'm going to start as HUmar. In fact I'm probably going to make on of each race. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Inazuma
Jun 7, 2006, 01:42 AM
humans arent the best at anything but they arent the worst at anything either. thats good or bad depending on your playstyle.

instead of picking a race first, give some thought to your preferred battle style.

for example, you just wanna be the hunter type always. pick beast and go nuts.

same for cast ranger and newman force.

but, if you wanna use all 3 types and switch often, or you dont yet know what battle type you prefer, human seems best.

it just bothers me to see ppl complain about being weak, when they CHOSE to be weak!

and dont forget, psu is just like every other video game out there. the chars are never perfectly balanced. even if they are balanced extremely well, there are always some better than others. the only way you can have true perfect exact balance is to make all chars exactly the same in every way possible. in other words, to only have one char -_-

Rihcky
Jun 7, 2006, 03:23 AM
Just make a charcter you want to play. Who cares about stats really...

DarthTyranus
Jun 7, 2006, 04:29 AM
I'm often a balanced player, so Human's are the go for me. And seeing myself as a true blue Aussie swordsman, I gotta make a Hunter first.

DizzyDi
Jun 7, 2006, 10:03 AM
Theres no such thing as a HUmar in PSU.
>:O!
More like HUHuman.

Kyuu
Jun 7, 2006, 10:30 AM
Um, huh?

Mar/marl mean male human/female human respectively. While they don't call them such in game anymore, a lot of us still like to use the terms. And why not? They're basically shorthand. Instead of saying "famale newman hunter," you can just say "HUnewearl." Or "HUmar" instead of "male human hunter."

DizzyDi
Jun 7, 2006, 10:43 AM
What about Male Newman Hunters?
AH-HAH!
There isn't one.

I think its better if we did something like.

FOHuman and what not. Besides, gender has very small impact. Do what you want though, it just annoys me when people cling to the old classes when they aren't existent in PSU anymore.

OdinTyler
Jun 7, 2006, 11:07 AM
To finally settle what to call them, how about this? I'm including every single combination possible so let's just get this over with & laugh about it!:

HUNTER: HUmar, HUmarl, HUcast, HUcaseal, HUnewm, HUnewearl, HUbeast, HUbeastess

FORCE: FOmar, FOmarl, FOcast, FOcaseal, FOnewm, FOnewearl, FObeast, FObeastess

RANGER: RAmar, RAmarl, RAcast, RAcaseal, RAnewm, RAnewearl, RAbeast, RAbeastess

THERE! I SAID IT! LOL http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Dhylec
Jun 7, 2006, 11:39 AM
OdinTyler wrote:

THERE! I SAID IT! LOL http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Heh, that's more than a mouthful. ;D
While the concepts of humarl, focast & ranewm, etc were speculated long before PSU even appeared, but I still find the beast race suffix unsettling. Hm.. I wonder what ST would call them.

OdinTyler
Jun 7, 2006, 11:44 AM
Actually, ST had worked on a HUmarl & HUnewm design. I've seen drawings, but, they were left out of the game. Rico Tyrell would be the closest thing we have to a HUmarl in PSO & the HUnewm kinda reminded me of later versions of Ganon (still, a cool design). As for what the beast suffixes, I typed what made sense. Beast (male) & beastess (female). I'd presume they'd be different in some way tho.

Serephim
Jun 7, 2006, 12:08 PM
Im SO freaking glad we can make Male Newman hunters.

Im bringing all my people from PSO back. Its really lame how weak they made Female Newman Hunters. They should be able to use magic, seriously. Thats the thing that made them so fun to play with in PSO, having a HUNTER than can use zonde and made 3 strikes come down instead of 1.

OdinTyler
Jun 7, 2006, 12:43 PM
Well, they CAN use magic. You just have to have your type assigned to a Force as you're using your char. You can make a Hunter & have some points assigned to being a Force. However, as it is, you won't be able to take advantage of those abilities unless you switch to a Force. You can switch types at a counter. Tho yes, it would be nice to have magic abilities while you're being a Hunter. In other words, you'd specialize as a Hunter, but, you're training in other areas as well.

Retributor
Jun 7, 2006, 01:10 PM
Humar love. With all respect, a Hucast dominated in the all around power fight, but was no match when a humar could use stronger force powers. Im kinda sad they took out the HuCast look, but maybe it will be there. Im just happy that finally I can choose from a lot more options when designing my character. Means the party wont have to sit there and wait saying "anyone know a good force? or a ranger? were all hunters!?"

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 8, 2006, 06:20 PM
I don't care about stats, I like being Human and I like slashing things, so I'll still be a HUmar. I don't care if people call me "newbie" or "scrub" or whatever. but that HUnewm sounds pretty interesting too.

Moo2u
Jun 8, 2006, 07:19 PM
Regardless of lack of a speical attack, I'm sure the servers will be littered with HUmars runnin' around everywhere, flooding the streets. Some with crazy names like Sephiroth or Goku. They'll be everywhere, there's lots (if not too much) Humar love.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Moo2u on 2006-06-08 17:19 ]</font>

DraginHikari
Jun 8, 2006, 07:26 PM
But those kind of Humars are the ones that make the others look bad http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif;

Oji_Retta
Jun 8, 2006, 07:28 PM
On 2006-06-07 09:07, OdinTyler wrote:
To finally settle what to call them, how about this? I'm including every single combination possible so let's just get this over with & laugh about it!:

Why don't we just use punctuation or acronym like HMH or H.M.H for Human male hunter, race gender class the RGC FORMAT (I'm a genius). plus its shorter than the old shorthand!

RGC

R A N G E R:
Beast: BMR | BFR
Human: HMR | HFR
Cast: CMR | CFR
Newman: NMR | NFR

F O R C E:
Beast: BMF | BFF(funny)
Human: HMF | HFF
Cast: CMF | CFF
Newman: NMF | NFF

H U N T E R:
Beast: BMH | BFH
Human: HMH | HFH
Cast: CMH | CFH
Newman: NMH | NFH

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oji_Retta on 2006-06-08 17:33 ]</font>

DraginHikari
Jun 8, 2006, 07:53 PM
Probably because most people here that have or are playing PSO are used to the old format.

Oji_Retta
Jun 8, 2006, 07:56 PM
I for one feel that old things from PSO should be used in PSU which is not a PSO title. lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif. Everything in PSU is different/upgraded/revamped (though the same concept is there). Out with the old, in with the new unless ST officialy uses the old shorthand.

Neo_Strife
Jun 22, 2006, 12:13 PM
"I'm gonna be a HUmar anyway I will forever be this and come on, wouldn't you like to be on a team as the only human and doing great damage...I plan on trying to make a great HUmar and have people shocked at how good I am."

Pure-chan
Jun 23, 2006, 04:54 PM
I think that HUmars are bashed a lot more than they deserve to be. To be perfectly honest, some of the best - and most considerate players I've ever teamed up with were HUmars. Anyone who remembers good guys like -Jamz- (the 1st US HUmar to lv. 200), Zan (who would have been 1st until he quit at lv. 195) and Bo would probably agree with me.

Since HUmars are the default class for pso, there are higher numbers of poorly played/unpleasant HUmars. But there are plenty of rude and/or stupid non-HUmars out there, too (can anyone say RAcasts that spam S-Rank Berserk Needles - then flip out when you don't chase them all over the map healing them?).

As far as humar stats on PSU, they seem to cover all of the bases effectively. They might not be as flashy as other classes with their shiny new class-specific special attacks, but I'm willing to wager that they will still provide an enjoyable game experience.

IMO players should make the class and race that they will enjoy the most. No nanoblasts? More of a challenge!

Oh and... if you really want an additional challenge as a HUmar; try and change the popular opinion about the class by being a skilled and courteous player! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-06-23 14:55 ]</font>

UltimateCarl
Jun 23, 2006, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I've had a bit of a personal vendetta against HUmars for a while now and I'm just getting over it. Like you said, HUmars are probably the most commonly played class... The most common level of intelligence is grapefruit, so that makes an unfortunate situation for HUmars.

Although stat-wise I don't enjoy them much, either. I always sort of felt that if you wanted to be a totally hardcore damage-based Hunter (which is most players...) then play a HUcast. If you want to be a little weaker but in the end just as awesome because you can use some techs, be a HUnewearl. HUmars have always seemed to me to be at this awkward inbetween stage where their Techs aren't good enough to be any real use to them, but they aren't as physically capable as they could be, either. Especially since most HUmars play like they were a HUcast, anyway.

Not to say HUmars are bad, because they aren't. I know plenty of intelligent, skillful HUmars. I suppose it was sort of like a stereotype and I'm glad I could do away with it. When I saw a HUmar I would just assume they were a moron until proven otherwise. I dropped that, now, and I'm happy. However, I still have a smaller version of that, but it applies to everyone. Anyone I meet online I sort of automatically assume is an idiot until they prove me wrong, and I can't say that it's a bad plan...

Anyhow, while I still don't see myself playing a HUmar in PSO or PSU, (except when you're Ethan in single player story...) I will probably have a new respect for them in PSU. Majority of Hunters are now probably going to be Beasts, though from what I've seen of the Beta roughly half of Hunters were Androids. O.o;; Regardless, the fact that it's a new game and the odds aren't stacked against them, I'll probably enjoy the company of HUmars much, much more.

...If only I could stop hating FOmars, now...

Jozon
Jun 23, 2006, 05:49 PM
I thought they took away the casts melee prowess for ranged power? maybe no one noticed the change >_>

who knows..........