PDA

View Full Version : Connect European and U.S. servers?

Sha_Hua
Jun 7, 2006, 04:35 AM
Would you like the the European and U.S. servers to be available for both continents?

Both servers will have English chat. So that isn't a problem.
There might be a lag issue with the distance between the server and clients.

Kers
Jun 7, 2006, 04:41 AM
I think it would be cool to have a few U.S. and European servers connected. I got a few people from the U.K. on my friends list who I'd like to goof around with on PSU. I wouldn't have a hardcore character on those servers though. My fun level goes down with the rise of lag

Zarbolord
Jun 7, 2006, 04:42 AM
I think that it's what they're planning. There will only be a separation between the japanese servers and the rest. That's what I've heard anyway.

DraginHikari
Jun 7, 2006, 05:31 AM
PSOBB: English Verison was connecting U.S. and Europe on the same server I don't see why they wouldn't do the same thing again

Sha_Hua
Jun 7, 2006, 08:58 AM
I do like the idea of intercontinental play myself, but I'm hoping that it will be on several servers, not all. This way you could choose to stay close to home if you are having lag issues or play intercontinental if all works well.

Had some issues in the past with laggy servers. No lag for me but serious lag when at my neighbours house. Later on it was the other way around?!
I am curious how this will be with PSU. Too bad we have to wait so long to find out.

Reystradamus
Jun 7, 2006, 10:27 AM
we should connect and play with the european people...it is good 2 play 2gether!

OdinTyler
Jun 7, 2006, 11:19 AM
They haven't said that US & Europe would be connected so expect it to not happen. I remember my old online days of PSO having cross country connections of sorts. Still, it would be interesting to see what happens.

Besides, you can't exactly assume that European servers would be in English. True, many European countries have citizens that speak English, but, many tend to use their native language. You'll see Spanish, German, etc. How would the PSU servers run there then?

MagicPink
Jun 7, 2006, 11:23 AM
On 2006-06-07 09:19, OdinTyler wrote:
They haven't said that US & Europe would be connected so expect it to not happen. I remember my old online days of PSO having cross country connections of sorts. Still, it would be interesting to see what happens.

Besides, you can't exactly assume that European servers would be in English. True, many European countries have citizens that speak English, but, many tend to use their native language. You'll see Spanish, German, etc. How would the PSU servers run there then?

The same way the PSO servers did; very well. And they never announced that the PSO servers would be interconnected but they were so that's no reason to discount it happening for PSU.

OdinTyler
Jun 7, 2006, 11:40 AM
Oh I'm not. I'd just like to hear word of it from ST. We know that Japan & the US are definitely separated. We can presume that Japan will be separate from Europe as well. Otherwise, how can Japan be connected to Europe & not the US if the US & Europe are connected? I hope ST is paying attention to such logic. LOL

Saner
Jun 7, 2006, 12:15 PM
both regions speak/know the same language basically.

There is a 99% chance they'll connect them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

tank1
Jun 7, 2006, 02:51 PM
There are two nations in Europe that speak English Great Britain and Ireland. Granted other nations have people who speak english (but then again some English people speak other languages to) but out of the 25 states that make Europe only two speak english as a first language or at all.

Sev
Jun 7, 2006, 04:42 PM
It'll possibly be up to population. If it looks like their aren't enough people to fill the Euro ships and the US ships respectively. They may just ram 'em together to give the player base a wider selection of people to play with. It would be alot better if like said previously, there was a choice. That way they could connect to EU servers or joined servers.

EGO-BOT
Jun 7, 2006, 06:06 PM
I'm in the UK and I hope they are connected. the only time I'll have any spare time to play will be really late at night, when the EU server will probably be all but empty, so I could play on the US servers just as I did in PSO.

If its not connected then I'll try an import a copy from the states.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EGO-BOT on 2006-06-07 16:07 ]</font>

Kimil
Jun 7, 2006, 06:42 PM
It works for XBOX live, why not PSU?

DizzyDi
Jun 7, 2006, 07:44 PM
FFXI already showed that worldwide servers work out.
So whats stopping ST?

Tycho
Jun 8, 2006, 03:10 AM
On 2006-06-07 12:51, tank1 wrote:
There are two nations in Europe that speak English Great Britain and Ireland. Granted other nations have people who speak english (but then again some English people speak other languages to) but out of the 25 states that make Europe only two speak english as a first language or at all.Apparently, you don't quite live in Europe. I hope you realize that in most European countries children learn English in highschool, if not just from TV, films and the internet.

I'm from Europe. I don't see why I should risk being put on European-only servers, so I might as well not take any risks and import a copy. Besides, since for the European release I'd need to wait for even longer anyway...

PhotonCat
Jun 8, 2006, 02:16 PM
I don't mind playing with Europeans, but I hope they have separate servers for each region that you can cross over on then.
I sure don't want to be on a server located out across the ocean and I'm sure they don't wanna be on a server across from them either.

That's why the servers are usually separate, you will get bad lat from playing on servers located in another continent than your own.

OdinTyler
Jun 8, 2006, 02:25 PM
It's true that English is becoming more & more widespread throughout Europe. But unlike a US or JP server where there's one 'main' language, Europe has quite a bunch. Are there going to be separate servers unique to each language or will be there be English-speaking European servers? Sounds like a handful for any company to do. I don't doubt that it's possible. I just wonder how it would be done & if it is done, well, that's good for Europe. They're entitled to play, just like anyone else.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jun 8, 2006, 02:31 PM
It works well enough for PSOBB. Sure, I occassionally encounter a small group chatting in Spanish or French or something, but from what I have seen, a majority of the European players can speak English, many quite well.

Add that to the fact that over a third of the people with whom I play regularly are from Europe, and the servers damn well better be connected.

OdinTyler
Jun 8, 2006, 02:37 PM
LOL I remember running into lobbies where there were Japanese convos, Spanish convos & at 1 point, I met someone who spoke half German, half English. I wouldn't mind grouping with ppl from Europe. I'd just hope they'd speak English as how else are we going to communicate? I mean sure, I know some Spanish & I can pick up on some words from different languages. Communication, I've found to be very important in an online game. If we can't understand each other, that won't help. Of course, ppl speak the same language & STILL don't understand each other...but then, that's just human nature, isn't it? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

zandra117
Jun 8, 2006, 02:45 PM
On PSOX EU and NA were seperated. I hope thats not the case with PSUX.

Saffran
Jun 8, 2006, 04:01 PM
|It's true that English is becoming more & more widespread throughout Europe.

Seriously ppl, do you live in our world?
I don't think any kid worldwide is allowed to not choose english at school at one point or another - all the schools I know of (in France, Germany and Japan /which is arguably not part of Europe XD) don't even foresee / allow the possibility of not taking english classes.

Sev
Jun 8, 2006, 04:06 PM
On 2006-06-08 14:01, Saffran wrote:

I don't think any kid worldwide is allowed to not choose english at school at one point or another - all the schools I know of (in France, Germany and Japan /which is arguably not part of Europe XD) don't even foresee / allow the possibility of not taking english classes.

lol... Arguably. XD

Fullmetal16
Jun 9, 2006, 01:29 AM
The more the merrier

Fleece
Jun 9, 2006, 04:27 AM
meh i want them all to be linked, I used to play online games on 56k for years, anything below 250 ping is fine with me Lol

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 9, 2006, 07:22 AM
I would like it that the whole world can be connected, I would like to be connected with Japanese players. too bad its not the case

DarthTyranus
Jun 11, 2006, 04:31 AM
That's a very hard ? to answer, actually. Cause I dunno if AUS is under EU servers or US servers.

Sha_Hua
Jun 11, 2006, 08:58 PM
On 2006-06-08 14:01, Saffran wrote:

English is used in Europe as universal language. So they give it as base education in about all countries there. Reason for this is having 2 english countries and trading a lot with the U.S..

The next part has some parts that we can fill a new topic with if we discuss it so please if you want to discuss a point make it brief. I just want to say these things to clarify the situation.

The thing is that the English taught on this base education is fairly weak. People can broaden their knowledge through further education, tv, internet or gaming for example.

There are 2 parts in Europe that have a lot of media in their own language.
France:
Spoken in multiple parts of the world. Produces a lot of movies and television. Big group of french people the idea people should learn french if they want to communicate with them.
Germany:
Very big country. Narrate almost everything (tv, movies, games?!). Has a lot of surrounding countries who speak german.
This leads to these parts doing well without further knowledge of English. And so you will see people from these countries prefering to group amongst themselves. In some cases games are designed to cope with this by seperate servers. F.a. http://www.wow-europe.com/en/serverstatus/ has ~90 english realms, ~60 german realms and almost 30 french realms.
Next to this there is also a big group of spanish talking people in europe, but I don't know to much about their abilities in english.

For PSU this will probably mean that over 50% of the Europeans will speak a decent amount of english. Making intercontinentaly linked servers a great way to play which eachother.

About the Japanese. I don't think much of the degree of English people speak there, but it might be better then I have encountered.

About Australia. I would love to play with people from there too. Also an English speaking country, so that is no problem.

At the moment I am hoping they will make a some servergroups for Europe, U.S., Australia, Eu-US, Eu-Au, US-Au and for world play.
Enabling you too choose to play with friends abroud or keep a low as possible ping.
But we will soon find out what ST has planned for us.

voxie
Jun 11, 2006, 09:38 PM
I'm ALL for playing with the rest of the world!

Roken
Jun 11, 2006, 09:41 PM
I believe players should have a choice to choose whether or not they wish to play on certain servers, to avoid lag issues, unless the developers are able to have multiple 'bases' that have connection in all countries, instead of just sending a signal from one area.

Saner
Jun 11, 2006, 09:54 PM
well if Blue Burst is any indiction, US and EU will be linked. and more than likely AUS too.

DraginHikari
Jun 11, 2006, 10:29 PM
PSOBB was mostly just just a single server that happened to be used for English speakers in general. Hends why there were not a seperate set of ships of EU alone.

Kimil
Jun 11, 2006, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't mind all the servers being linked

DarthTyranus
Jun 12, 2006, 03:40 AM
I reckon all servers should be linked too, oh and Sha-Hua thanks for that comment about wanting to play with my fellow Aussies. Hopefully, I can play with your fellow countrymen too.