PDA

View Full Version : Can casts and beasts use photon arts?

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 7, 2006, 11:13 AM
Topic.

OdinTyler
Jun 7, 2006, 11:15 AM
Yes. So far it's said PAs are mainly for Hunters, tho a Ranger's PA is primarily connected to their guns. So far, Forces have their technics tho I don't see why they can't use PAs eventually. PAs as we know, are connected by class type, not race.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 7, 2006, 11:41 AM
Thank you. Do the humans and newmans have better photon arts or something? Do thye charge faster, do more damage or something like that?

OdinTyler
Jun 7, 2006, 11:47 AM
You're welcome. I don't know about better. I think PAs are similar to technics in that there will be different types. Some for all we know might have stat requirements or have elemental abilities to them. Right now, beasts & casts have their respective special abilities, while humans & newmen don't have one such ability. However, each race stands apart as some races are better at some class types than others & even gender now plays a part in it. As for PAs, they still seem to be class-defined & if you place more points into your current class, your PAs (like technics would) should improve.

Alisha
Jun 7, 2006, 12:19 PM
i think its lame theres no gun pa's

Saner
Jun 7, 2006, 12:24 PM
why should there be? lol guns only shoot things, no skill involved aside from aiming and pushing a button. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

anyways photon arts are based on the weapons you use, not race. so if a Ranger uses a dagger they can use the dagger's photon arts.

although not sure how far a class can improve its skill level/rank with a weapon that is mainly intended for another class.

tank1
Jun 7, 2006, 12:27 PM
No skill involved in shoooting eh? wonder if you would say that after ten mins against me in an FPS? anywho i hope Humans and Newmans get some kick ass pa's to compensate for there lack of special abilities.

Saner
Jun 7, 2006, 12:28 PM
well I mean it lacks technique.

you just point and shoot with a gun.

tank1
Jun 7, 2006, 12:30 PM
What about the whole aiming in FPS to target weak spots and hitting aerial enemies? that seems harder than tapping a simple combo on a controller to whack something XD

physic
Jun 7, 2006, 01:12 PM
some confusion here, melee weapons have PAs gunes have photon bullets, and canes have techniqies. depending what job you are decides what your max level is in each category, currently hunters and rangers have a 0 in techniques. All PAs Pbullets etc are available to all classes (for now).
As far as fps taking skill, sure it does, but this wont be an fps, and the fpsness of this game probably wont take as much skill as your true built fps. If you think about it though, there is no martial art to a gun, there is no point in doing a spinning gun uppercut, so it makes sense that gun monkeys dont do poton art like things while using a gun

Alisha
Jun 7, 2006, 01:28 PM
no its doesnt. ffxi has gun/xbow and bow weapons skills why cant there be ranged weapon photon arts too? stuff like slugshot sidewinder split shot, blast shot.arching arrow.

Ryna
Jun 7, 2006, 01:32 PM
I believe there some confusion about terminology here. Photon Arts is an umbrella term. Hunter Weapons PAs are called 'Skills.' Rangers have 'Bullets' and Forces have 'Technics.'

Casts and Beasts can use Photon Arts. Also, the Photon Arts for Rangers add elemental damage to their weapons.

OdinTyler
Jun 7, 2006, 01:33 PM
1. I can personally attest that ranged weps do take skill. You can hit just as easily as you can miss & like anything else, takes practice. This isn't just evident on PSO. I've seen it in plenty of places.

2. Til we receive official word, we can't exactly say that there aren't Ranger PAs. For all we know, there can be some pretty crazy gun PAs (using the bullets) that we have yet to see.

Ryna
Jun 7, 2006, 01:35 PM
On 2006-06-07 11:33, OdinTyler wrote:
2. Til we receive official word, we can't exactly say that there aren't Ranger PAs. For all we know, there can be some pretty crazy gun PAs (using the bullets) that we have yet to see.

Read my previous post. There ARE Ranger Photon Arts. 'Bullets' is just a subcategory of Photon Arts.

Alisha
Jun 7, 2006, 01:52 PM
that stupid rangers should have gun skills. but then again from what i saw in videos,rangers can get a signifigant damage boost by attacking an enemeies elemental weakness. but cant every job can do that? just rangers can do it on the fly and without the need for multiples of the a weapon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-06-07 11:56 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Jun 7, 2006, 01:55 PM
LOL I didn't see that post. So Rangers can add element attacks. What about Hunters? Forces wouldn't need to as they have their techs.

Alisha
Jun 7, 2006, 02:01 PM
from what i understand hunters can but they would need to carry a weapon of each element.wich likely requires crafting.

Ryna
Jun 7, 2006, 02:01 PM
On 2006-06-07 11:55, OdinTyler wrote:
LOL I didn't see that post. So Rangers can add element attacks. What about Hunters? Forces wouldn't need to as they have their techs.

Certain Hunter Photon Arts ('Skills') can inflict status changes such as silence (stops an enemy from casting techs).

In closed-beta, only Forces and Rangers could use Elemental attacks (Fire, Lighting, Freezing, etc...). I think this is a balancing issue so Hunter Photon Arts will not be too over-powered.

Please note that I'm not talking about elemental percentages that you can add to a weapon. I'm just talking about Photon Arts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-06-07 12:03 ]</font>

Delicios
Jun 7, 2006, 02:35 PM
I've read somewhere that all classes can use melee photon arts.

Hunters cap at 20, rangers 10, and FOs 1.

Rangers get elemental bullets that they can lvl up to 20.

Fos have techs.

Course, this is all hearsay, so I've said something amiss, just correct it.

OdinTyler
Jun 7, 2006, 02:49 PM
So basically, elements can be added to weapons for all 3 class types, but, Hunters won't necessarily have elemental attacks for their PAs themselves. Is that right?

chibiLegolas
Jun 7, 2006, 02:53 PM
On 2006-06-07 12:35, Delicios wrote:
I've read somewhere that all classes can use melee photon arts.

Hunters cap at 20, rangers 10, and FOs 1.

Rangers get elemental bullets that they can lvl up to 20.

Fos have techs.

Course, this is all hearsay, so I've said something amiss, just correct it.

I think it's just that there are certain melee weapon TYPES that are available to all classes. And the level like you mentioned for these melee weapons are like you stated above. But melee photon arts (skills) are only available to hunters. Am I correct? I just remember hearing that melee photon arts (skills) are unavailable to forces though. So perhaps rangers can use them too?

OdinTyler
Jun 7, 2006, 02:55 PM
Everyone seems to forget what we've already been told. Just because you start a char as a particular type, doesn't mean you'll never be able to try the others out. You go to a counter & you can change your type at any time before a mission. However, once you begin a mission, you stay as that type til you finish. If you want to try out the other 2, switch your type & BAM...you have access to what the other types offer.

zandra117
Jun 7, 2006, 03:06 PM
ok rangers can add photon elements to their bullets. Thats what photon arts for rangers is. They can use ice element bullets to freeze enemys, fire element to burn, earth element to silence, light element to blind(?), dark element to instakill. etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-06-07 19:44 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Jun 7, 2006, 03:09 PM
If this is true, Rangers are really being given extra support abilities making them quite valuable. Rangers don't have to just be mindless shooters (not that I ever thought they were) as they can really help their team out. Personally, I think this is a great idea.

Alisha
Jun 7, 2006, 03:12 PM
On 2006-06-07 13:09, OdinTyler wrote:
If this is true, Rangers are really being given extra support abilities making them quite valuable. Rangers don't have to just be mindless shooters (not that I ever thought they were) as they can really help their team out. Personally, I think this is a great idea.

the only problem is they wont have the flash or pizzazz of techs or hunter skills.

zandra117
Jun 7, 2006, 03:18 PM
Certain Hunter Photon Arts ('Skills') can inflict status changes such as silence (stops an enemy from casting techs).

That means that if they add battle mode in later. Hunters can actually be effective against forces.

mechatra
Jun 7, 2006, 05:02 PM
By the way, Zandra, earth elemental techniques cause Silence effect aswell.

TheGreyCliche
Jun 7, 2006, 07:56 PM
I was wondering this question myself. Because it seems the Cast and Beast races have more of an advantage right now because of their special attacks (nanoblasts and SUV weapons). I wonder if in the release Humans and Newmans will have a special ability to attain at level 20.

Ryna
Jun 7, 2006, 08:01 PM
On 2006-06-07 17:56, TheGreyCliche wrote:
I wonder if in the release Humans and Newmans will have a special ability to attain at level 20.

Based on the Takao Miyoshi interview, Humans and Newmans will not have a special ability. These races might make up for their lack of specialties with improved stats at higher-levels or race-specific weapons.

Alisha
Jun 8, 2006, 06:09 AM
take a look at newman tp. theres your special ability right there.