PDA

View Full Version : Partner Machines

Retributor
Jun 8, 2006, 04:31 PM
I think im going to miss having mags, and finding them all over in Mines. Also, the idea of a partner machine, it doesnt followe you...until it levels up into a humanoid form, does that mean it will fight like an NPC or will it function like the old mag and provide support. I mean the balance needs to be there, especially if Hunters cant heal themselves. Which do you prefer old Mags or Partners Machines?

Sha_Hua
Jun 8, 2006, 04:49 PM
I always loved mags for fast tuning your char by equiping one.

But the game has changed a lot.
You can change your stats with the hunter, force and ranger mode.
Next to that the PM's have nice abilities.

I believe I will love my PM in PSU as much as my mag in PSO.

Moo2u
Jun 8, 2006, 04:56 PM
I'm still up in the air. I loved just having your mag follow you, but the PM sounds awesome. I'll wait till I try er out.

Oji_Retta
Jun 8, 2006, 05:01 PM
Definately the PM. They are superior to mags though they are both based on the same concept. PMs are what mags were supposed to be I feel. So, I will not miss mags...maybe only as accesories but that is it.

Fullmetal16
Jun 8, 2006, 05:14 PM
Ill will miss them i mean how cool is it to have a scorpion or cat follow you around and give you free easy stats.

Kupi
Jun 8, 2006, 05:42 PM
As a fanfiction writer, the concept of PMs gives me the ability to write an extra character for every Guardian I create. With Mags... sure, there's Sato and Nidra, but how the heck do you write a sentient backpack? My vote is squarely in PM territory.

uhawww
Jun 8, 2006, 05:51 PM
When I first saw the streaming footage of the a combatant PM type back during a PSU preview for PSOs 5th Anniversary late last year, I knew Partner Machinery were truly transcedent of Mags; a whole other level if you will.
I'll miss Mags, but I think there's now something more sweet to strive for.

Moo2u
Jun 8, 2006, 07:15 PM
On 2006-06-08 15:42, Kupi wrote:
As a fanfiction writer, the concept of PMs gives me the ability to write an extra character for every Guardian I create. With Mags... sure, there's Sato and Nidra, but how the heck do you write a sentient backpack? My vote is squarely in PM territory.

Actually, kinda funny, I used to write mags as characters, but they also did roles the PM will do in PSU (i.e. take care of house, etc.) I guess I called that one.

linkzone
Jun 8, 2006, 08:32 PM
Im a PM person. I like the Mag idea, it provided a good bit of work as a Mag Maker. Id build a Mag to max level and sell it to relatively new players and make a bit of money on the side. Especailly for the cooler looking Mags. But you could probably to that with the new PMs too. But Ill probably be more into raising a PM by myself for me only. I wouldnt want to buy one premade.

Kyuu
Jun 8, 2006, 08:40 PM
The mags were a cool idea with poor implementation. It was far too easy to get access to powerful weapons at extremely low levels by raising your stats with a level 200 mag that was given to you by a higher-level character. This is also probably why they ditched mags for Partner Machinery.

And no, PMs won't follow you around and provide stats when you level them up. From what I understand, they fight with you (although I don't think any beta testers were able to level their PM up high enough to say for sure one way or the other).

Retributor
Jun 8, 2006, 09:07 PM
I agree with all of you. PMs are new and exciting, and not being restricted by class now opens options, and the mag was an amzing way to make your character do what you want...PM will feel more personal, but I loved the mag...hopefully they look as cool and ave as many different looks. Thanks for the opinions guys, keep em coming.

Saner
Jun 8, 2006, 09:45 PM
I didn't like mags,

it felt like they were babysitting you since a part of your bonus stats come from them and the mags has the powerful photon blasts to save your hide from time to time.

Im glad PSU is looking more like the classic PS games in that you are more independant than having a pet you have to feed every once in a while.

xMutex
Jun 9, 2006, 12:42 PM
I loved the mags i was always so in depth with them but PMs I have a opened mind still about them, I'm sure it will still be sweet.

OdinTyler
Jun 9, 2006, 12:47 PM
Well guys remember, PMs pretty much start out as 'mags' as they do kinda float there so those that still love mags will get that feeling. When they evolve, they become the humanoid PMs we will come to know & become somewhat fully functional group members. Seems like we're getting the best of both.

Reystradamus
Jun 9, 2006, 12:48 PM
i dont kno about u guys...but raisin mags were like the 2nd best thing in the game aside from leveling up and meetin people...i loved collectin mags....see other peoples mags..matchin ya outfit with the same color mag....i will miss the mag but ill raise my PM but it wont be the same...i miss my DIWARI MAG!

Sev
Jun 9, 2006, 12:52 PM
I'm a bit in the dark about PM's... Maybe I'll go and read up on the information they have about them here. More then anything, I'm wondering how their stats are affected, and what toll will that take on the weapons and items it can create. Do all PM's have the ability to make anything, or is it only if the PM is raised a certain way? I guess I'll find out sooner or later though.

Mags were fine, but they did kill the balance. I'm just hoping I don't screw up my PM too much.

DikkyRay
Jun 9, 2006, 12:53 PM
the concept of partner machines is cool, but ill miss the whole concept of mags. It was annoying to feed the mag over and over, but it was worth it.

Asim
Jun 9, 2006, 02:05 PM
I wonder if PMs are any good at combatant. If they are, that would be awesome. I'd go for the ideas that a male Beast would use a MIND PM, and a female Newman would use a POW PM, that would make solo really enjoyable and doable.

Can somebody link a video on PM combat ?

OdinTyler
Jun 9, 2006, 03:17 PM
I don't have the video right in front of me, but, I did see an Elenor looking PM side by side with Ethan, holding a saber. It was brief, but, it seemed like the PM could do a Photon Art (or at least a more powerful regular attack). Yes, I do believe they'll be good combatants. Not as good as a player (of course), but, still helpful if in the event you're alone.

ColonD
Jun 9, 2006, 03:48 PM
You know, I think MAGs gave more things to do in the game then just lvl. So, in a sence they were good that way. And you didn't have to kill as much to get stronger, (Though to level, by far, I think PSO made it too long to level later in the game.)
This is my opinion:
But the PMs and the NPC buddies, the controls, you can all see that it is shoving people to more Skilled-playing, and take a hint of strain off of stats. Not to mention, having the machinery make stuff, if you find this stuff all the time, and the shared bank between characters, seems like you specialize your different characters more.
And as a side note, I joined late on the bandwagon, so I'm happy to experiance the, "What the heck is that?!" Syndrome with some of the things.
((Wonder what my first evolved PM will be? I wonder if Its at all race class based?))

OdinTyler
Jun 9, 2006, 03:52 PM
Since everyone was so busy lvling, no one really had a chance to try to evolve their PMs. Unless we get some advanced notice, it seems we won't get to find out til the JP version gets released. I don't believe it will be race based (as that would only make 4 types). However, maybe race/gender/class would open up some possibilities, & make 1 hell of a raising PM tree.

Ryoten
Jun 14, 2006, 10:41 AM
Well, I'm going to miss the little guys, but the PMs are like them in similar ways. Now I can feed them when I get home instead of constantly feeding it in battle

Skoal
Jun 24, 2006, 03:10 AM
I loved the MAG idea. It was like a pet but the whole gettin high level weeapons at low levels sucked

Kyuu
Jun 24, 2006, 04:00 AM
On 2006-06-24 01:10, Skoal wrote:
I loved the MAG idea. It was like a pet but the whole gettin high level weeapons at low levels sucked

That's the big flaw with the mag system, and what irked me. Give a level one a level 200 power mag, and they can wield weapons that allow them to flatten their way through pretty much anything with hardly a thought. And since there's no hacking or cheating involved, it's seen as "legitimate." Of course, the obvious solution was to just have the stats provided by the mags not count toward your base stats, but they'd have had to redo the entire itemization if they had made a change like that after release.

All in all, the PMs sound much better thought out, and more interesting in my opinion. Raising a mag was tiresome and time consuming, and when most people are getting handed level 200 mags, there aren't pauses in the action to let those of us raising ours get a chance to feed, and so it takes even longer to get it leveled up.

Edit: I will admit that I'll miss having that little Chu Chu/Rati/Sato/Nidra/etc. floating over my shoulder, though. Hopefully some of the classic mags make a reappearance as evolutions for the PM.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-06-24 02:02 ]</font>

Mewn
Jun 24, 2006, 06:53 AM
PMs all the way. They lose the ability to make a char overpowered at low levels, but gain the ability to fight alongside you and create items through Item Synthesis.

ANIMEniac
Jun 24, 2006, 12:18 PM
on pos i loved my Savitri ^_^. 45,55,50,50 for my HUnee and this is the first mag i ever mad so i dint really know what i was doin. but!... i think i will like the customization and the premis of my PM in this one more. but now the lazy ppl out there will not be able to just ask for PM farmers to make them a PM (or will they). MAgs were more abused in PSO though, where as Elenor tried to teach you to think of them as pets/friends/companions, post people only though of them as tools (like Zabuza & Haku [Naruto Reference]). with PMs, more people will have more of a connection with them because it is ither you spend the time with it to make it something, or you dont and you dont have one. no goin around just to find a pow, dex, min, or def mag.