PDA

View Full Version : Will you drop your weapon when you die?

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 8, 2006, 06:13 PM
I have a question for anyone who knows about this, does anyone know if whenever you die, whether or not you will drop your weapon(like the Dreamcast) or will you keep it(like the Gamecube)? Thanks.

Parn
Jun 8, 2006, 06:17 PM
You keep it. The penalty for death is a lower ranking at the end of a mission, which basically nets you less job experience and a smaller bounty.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 8, 2006, 06:29 PM
oh, better than losing a weapon I guess, but sux that they still give penalties for dying.

PhotonCat
Jun 8, 2006, 06:44 PM
Yeah, it still sucks. There really shouldn't be any penalties for dieing at all, it happens so much in these games.

hypersaxon
Jun 8, 2006, 07:19 PM
You know how many people would be pissed off if Sonic Team decided to make weapons drop on the ground again?!

Moo2u
Jun 8, 2006, 07:21 PM
It was crappier when all your mesta dropped also. Ohhh boy...

But ya, I like penalties for dying. Gives a reason to stay alive.

Dre_o
Jun 8, 2006, 07:32 PM
On 2006-06-08 17:21, Moo2u wrote:

But ya, I like penalties for dying. Gives a reason to stay alive.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how we make games more challenging. Steeper penalties=more stategy

(and hopefully less n00bs who don't like losing money http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif )

this post was not sarcastic

TheyCallMeJoe
Jun 8, 2006, 08:16 PM
I agree. Death penalties are a necessity...or else not much emphasis would be placed on staying alive, which I assume is the main objective of the game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif (oh and to find Red boxes. unless they're not red in PSU http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif)

_Tek_
Jun 8, 2006, 08:33 PM
Plus in old pso the weaker characters died, and losing your weapon pretty much screws you over.

Kyuu
Jun 8, 2006, 08:37 PM
You're ranked at the end of the mission for how well you did. Dying means you didn't do as well. Therefore you get a lower rank. Makes sense to me. Why would they reward a team who stayed alive the whole time the same as a team who died 20 times each?

voxie
Jun 8, 2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah I like the online penalties too.

Gives you a real reason to get better at the game!

Saner
Jun 8, 2006, 09:26 PM
as long as there is no exp or deleveling or weapon/money dropping.

lower rank is fair enough.

AzureBlaze
Jun 8, 2006, 10:13 PM
I think I like this as well...
It makes sense, and acts like those TTF type missions we've all powrlvld on, where the principal/irene would rank you at the end and you'd get prizes (or not). Since everyone's done it, it's nothing unfamilliar.

I actually LIKED somewhat wepdrop on death. It made it worth it to NOT die, as people say. You also had to trust people before whipping out that mondo wep. It also made the game feel...REAL. There was real consequense, real incentive. I mean, it was logical the thing would fall out of your hand. Yes, I was stolen from, some of my most precious things...but that's because of PK.

By eliminating wepdrop/meseta drop upon death, you totally remove the -incentive- to PK. No one will hack toward that goal if there's no reward. All it would do is make the whole team do worse, so there's no reason.

My problem with GCPSO I guess, was it just didn't feel real. There was no real downfall to dieing, if you kept no meseta on you, or weren't forced to go to town. It didn't matter if you died, there was no incentive to even try. It made it feel dull...soulless or something.

One of the new challenges with this may be...doing a 'perfect run' of something that was hella hard. Remember those days? ULT trying to get yamigirasu off TTF? What about Gallon's movie, avoid all ghosts, run the gauntlet, get the pieces? You couldn't afford 1 death, so you really had to get your peeps together and go for a righteous run. THAT inspired challenge, skill and good planning, esp. on the ones where you couldn't pipe up. If there's stuff like that on PSU requiring multiple trial runs to get it right, an awesome team and a bit of luck, it sounds like PSU will be full of fun and challenge with this system in place!

DarthTyranus
Jun 8, 2006, 10:40 PM
I hated dying in old school PSO. When I died, I asked a fellow player to rez me. But when he found me, he took all my money and my AGITO as well. "Bloody Ninja!!" Anyway, I hope they have more fair penalties for PSU.

The EXP death penalty was a pain, glad that hasn't been added again. And you keep your equipped weapon and meseta too. I guess that's what makes PS unique to any other Online RPG.

PhotonCat
Jun 8, 2006, 11:57 PM
Dealth penalties IMO are dumb because it causes you and other ppl to play too cautionly. I rather go wild and crazy and have fun, not be all scared to try something out just because I can die and loose exp/money/points.

Like take FF11 for example, everyone just stands in the corner or on a zone line so they can run away easily/be out of aggro range because the Death penalty is so severe. It's so lame.

DraginHikari
Jun 9, 2006, 01:49 AM
On 2006-06-08 21:57, PhotonCat wrote:
Dealth penalties IMO are dumb because it causes you and other ppl to play too cautionly. I rather go wild and crazy and have fun, not be all scared to try something out just because I can die and loose exp/money/points.

Like take FF11 for example, everyone just stands in the corner or on a zone line so they can run away easily/be out of aggro range because the Death penalty is so severe. It's so lame.

Honsetly in every game I've ever play with death penetly we still did things like that and pay for it without even the slightest care in the world about it. There is no 'lost' so to speak in the way there doing it on PSU. You less liking to level your job if your dying constantly but at the same your not losing weapons, money, exp or anything of the sort. It's just mostly how you want to play.

ANIMEniac
Jun 9, 2006, 02:22 AM
IMHO i actualy dint like the death penalty on PSO GC/X cause it also took 5% from mag syncro. no prob if u keep it at 0 but for me it meant refeeding.

also in PSU if the penalty is a lower quest rank, then that would mean there is no penalty for free roaming so you could just gather a party and go buckwild ^_^.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 9, 2006, 06:54 AM
On 2006-06-08 19:26, Saner wrote:
as long as there is no exp or deleveling or weapon/money dropping.

lower rank is fair enough.

that would really suck if you lost levels for dying, you die and your penatly would be to die even easilier.

hypersaxon
Jun 9, 2006, 12:31 PM
Loosing your weapon and money every time you died would totally suck in PSU, seeing as meseta is much more scarce than in PSO, and it takes a lot of work to use item synthesis to make weapons and would suck if you lost a weapon you worked so hard to make.

The mission rank death penalty is more than enough to keep things challenging. If you turned this game into FFXI and had EXP penalties and all that garbage, PSU would end up being just as unfun and irritating as that disgrace of an MMO.

AvianKaitos
Jun 9, 2006, 09:30 PM
Yes death created challenge, but if you seek the enthralling heat of battle then I suggest challenge mode. The only problem was that in PSOGC nobody cared about challenge mode. There were a handful of us, but for the most part it was a Japanese pastime.

I’m with you on FFX1, that exp loss was savage…

Para
Jun 9, 2006, 11:19 PM
Actually I think the new death penalty makes much more sense.

Playing PSO:BB, you could do many runs, die a few times and not find the item you are hunting. Infact you might end up in the negative with loss in experience. That's the worst case scenario.

However just making the reward smaller means that you are still earning something overall.