PDA

View Full Version : Hmm!

-Klaus-
Jun 9, 2006, 05:59 PM
Slicer fans don't need to be dissapointed anymore.

http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/screen/universe_92.jpg

I believe what Ethan is holding is a slicer.

This also means that the fans found in an earlier thread are completely new weapons. :o

Authenticate
Jun 9, 2006, 06:22 PM
The action button icon looks more like a sword to me.

zandra117
Jun 9, 2006, 06:33 PM
I think its just a curved sword. Leveled up Tenora Sword maybe?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-06-09 16:36 ]</font>

RoninJoku
Jun 9, 2006, 06:52 PM
Yea, unfortunately it looks to be a different model of a sword... On the plus side-it's a model I haven't seen before http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

hypersaxon
Jun 9, 2006, 07:18 PM
Yeah, looks like a Slicer he's holding but the icon at the bottom of the screen says otherwise.

Oh well, that Fan thing is suppose to be like the Slicer so at least there's some sort of option.

Ryna
Jun 9, 2006, 07:25 PM
Ethan is just holding a curved sword in that picture.

On 2006-06-09 17:18, hypersaxon wrote:
Oh well, that Fan thing is suppose to be like the slicer so at least there's some sort of option.

It maybe a slicer-type weapon. Don't get your hopes up too much!

Saner
Jun 9, 2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah, looks like a Slicer he's holding but the icon at the bottom of the screen says otherwise.

Oh well, that Fan thing is suppose to be like the Slicer so at least there's some sort of option.

aaaaaaaah can't people see that FAN is actually a WAND?!!?!?!?!?? the photon fan pic is definitely not a slicer-type weapon. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/ducky.gif

DizzyDi
Jun 9, 2006, 11:15 PM
You can't say that its DEFINATELY not a slicer-type weapon because you haven't seen it in action. The fan weapon could be slicer-type because you wave it, some sorta of crazy photon/wind damaging thingy could come out and there you have it, a slicer type weapon.

RoninJoku
Jun 10, 2006, 12:28 AM
On 2006-06-09 17:55, Saner wrote:

aaaaaaaah can't people see that FAN is actually a WAND?!!?!?!?!?? the photon fan pic is definitely not a slicer-type weapon. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/ducky.gif

If we follow the trends of PSO...

Rappy Fan, Flight Fan = slicer

Wand type "fans" = zero

Also, it's listed by the other Range weapons! >.<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2006-06-09 22:31 ]</font>

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Jun 10, 2006, 12:48 AM
On 2006-06-09 22:28, RurouniJoku wrote:

Also, it's listed by the other Range weapons! >.<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2006-06-09 22:31 ]</font>

I think that alone proves that it cannot be a wand....
And unless it shoots gusts of wind... Its gotta be a slicer since its in the ranger section.

Saner
Jun 10, 2006, 12:52 AM
well it sure isn't a TRUE SLICER.

a true slicer is a boomerang. not some wimpy fan you wave at beasties. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kyuu
Jun 10, 2006, 01:24 AM
On 2006-06-09 22:52, Saner wrote:
well it sure isn't a TRUE SLICER.

a true slicer is a boomerang. not some wimpy fan you wave at beasties. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

What exactly is a "TRUE SLICER?" The slicers from PSO were ugly, really, with the only exceptions being the cooler fan-type ones (Rappy Fan, etc.). I for one am rather glad they got rid of the old design and replaced it with the fan design (I'm of the opinion that those are slicer-type weapons, obviously). How does its shape make it "wimpy?" You don't hit enemies with the slicer itself any more than you hit enemies with the handgun or rifle itself (unless they introduce pistol-whipping >.>).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-06-09 23:24 ]</font>

Saner
Jun 10, 2006, 01:28 AM
well the PSO standard slicers were jai-alai type weapons that release boomerang-shaped photons.

but we really can't confirm if those Fans are really slicer type.

linkzone
Jun 10, 2006, 01:35 AM
I love slicers.

Dhylec
Jun 10, 2006, 08:19 PM
Well, after looking at the picture again, I think it's more of a saber than a sword. Not a PSO saber, but a Chinese kind of blade. (http://www.ancientedge.com/images_templ/willowleaf)
Heh, if this is true, I expect to see more variety of weapons for the same type in PSU. ;]

Kyuu
Jun 10, 2006, 08:42 PM
but we really can't confirm if those Fans are really slicer type.
No, but there is evidence to support the hypothesis that they are, and there is no evidence that really contradicts that hypothesis.

I love slicers.
So do I... I just didn't love the physical design of the regular (non-rare) slicers in PSO.

And, that curved sword does indeed resemble those Chinese swords. Would be cool if they're another class of sword we can use.

-Klaus-
Jun 10, 2006, 10:26 PM
O_o man.

I still say it looks a helluva lot like the old slicers in PSO...

And technically... what else could they list slicers under for the icon thing? It does look like a sword I guess. But It also wouldn't make sense to have a gun icon for it just because it's a ranged weapon.

Oh well. |D

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Jun 10, 2006, 11:20 PM
I dunno... The original pso slicer design is my favorite by FAR. I love the look of them... Love em...

Frankly, I'd rather have PSO's style slicer than an old fashioned PS boomerang style slicer... But thats just me... >.>

Alisha
Jun 10, 2006, 11:22 PM
given what ive seen so far in videos i dont think a slicer would be very good in psu.

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2006, 11:26 PM
Sometimes I feel I'm typing and the words are invisable as people don't seem to be able to see all of what is presented to them

this v
http://pso-world.com/images/psu/news/06-09-06/06-09-06-08.jpg

is this v
http://pso-world.com/images/psu/news/06-09-06/06-09-06-02.jpg

if i am looking right and that animation is that of a sword.

Also they have the same icon so it's a friggin sword...not a slicer geeze v.v

SirenV
Jun 11, 2006, 12:28 AM
Yes, Hooray for slicers! I also love them, But I doubt that's a slicer ...

The icon is a sword, and not only that - the photon art associated with that weapon in that particular picture is "Tornado Break" - which is indeed conformed to be a PA for the sword-type weapon.

Personally I liked the Original (photon) slicers... although I enjoyed the fan too, but...

-Klaus-
Jun 11, 2006, 01:59 AM
On 2006-06-10 21:26, DurakkenX wrote:
Sometimes I feel I'm typing and the words are invisable as people don't seem to be able to see all of what is presented to them

this v
http://pso-world.com/images/psu/news/06-09-06/06-09-06-08.jpg

is this v
http://pso-world.com/images/psu/news/06-09-06/06-09-06-02.jpg

if i am looking right and that animation is that of a sword.

Also they have the same icon so it's a friggin sword...not a slicer geeze v.v

Ah... I suppose it is proven to be a sword... for now. D:

_Tek_
Jun 11, 2006, 02:51 AM
Its because the sword's blade and that laserbeam being fired behind it are the same color and you can't see the outline of the sword.

Saner
Jun 11, 2006, 03:06 AM
the weapon icon already confirms what it is. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Alisha
Jun 11, 2006, 12:33 PM
drop the slicer crap already. a hunters job is to deal and absorb damage. a slicer contradicts this unless they make slicers ranger only.

Kyuu
Jun 11, 2006, 01:55 PM
... yeah, and slicers deal damage. Also, a hunter's job is to run interference, not outright tank things. This isn't EQ/WoW.

Alisha
Jun 11, 2006, 02:06 PM
On 2006-06-11 11:55, Kyuu wrote:
... yeah, and slicers deal damage. Also, a hunter's job is to run interference, not outright tank things. This isn't EQ/WoW.

actually its more like that than pso was since rangers and fo are a lot more frail

-Klaus-
Jun 11, 2006, 04:04 PM
On 2006-06-11 10:33, Alisha wrote:
drop the slicer crap already. a hunters job is to deal and absorb damage. a slicer contradicts this unless they make slicers ranger only.

Wasn't that the idea of a hunter in the original PSO? So why wouldn't it pertain to PSU?

PJ
Jun 11, 2006, 04:20 PM

Slicers serve the same purpose as partisans and swords. If we're playing the, "Rangers are crap up close," game, then Rangers would suck with the slicer.

tikigod13
Jun 11, 2006, 04:41 PM
Maby its just a mele wepon icon or something it could be a slicer

Alisha
Jun 11, 2006, 04:51 PM
i think you guys are completely missing the point im trying to get across.

Saner
Jun 11, 2006, 10:01 PM
there there http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

at least there's some entertaining signs of possible slicers returning. (I still say that fan is a wand since it has a large stick attached but the screenies doesn't show all of it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

aahhh this game has to come soon! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Kyuu
Jun 12, 2006, 12:22 AM
On 2006-06-11 14:51, Alisha wrote:

Perhaps you could elaborate? I mean, obviously hunters were meant to do absolutely nothing except be right up close with melee weapons, taking hits brainlessly like an EQ-tank. I mean, that's why they aren't allowed to use ranged weapons, and they certainly can't dual-wield a gun and a melee weapon at the same time.

Alisha
Jun 12, 2006, 01:22 AM
On 2006-06-11 22:22, Kyuu wrote:

Perhaps you could elaborate? I mean, obviously hunters were meant to do absolutely nothing except be right up close with melee weapons, taking hits brainlessly like an EQ-tank. I mean, that's why they aren't allowed to use ranged weapons, and they certainly can't dual-wield a gun and a melee weapon at the same time.

they are able to dual weild a gun and weapon so they arent completely useless on stuff like the miyazuke preserve boss. look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehHrsKArKgc&search=PSU and imagine the hell this fight would be for hunters if they couldnt equip handguns? another problem is that in pso to properly use slicers it was neccesery to get some distance between you and the monsters putting you closer to the rangers and forces thus putting them in danger. although skilled pso players only used slicers on bosses with multiple hit zones.

Saner
Jun 12, 2006, 01:30 AM
On 2006-06-11 22:22, Kyuu wrote:

Perhaps you could elaborate? I mean, obviously hunters were meant to do absolutely nothing except be right up close with melee weapons, taking hits brainlessly like an EQ-tank.

that's not true. they don't take hits brainlessly since in PSO and this game you do have a better degree of control over evading attacks and avoiding damage.

especially with the new strafing feature.

plus Hunters can still use moon atomizers on others to help revive them, as well as consumables to keep themselves healthy.

DraginHikari
Jun 12, 2006, 04:57 AM

Techincally all class in PSO had access to Slicers. Not saying your wrong however I wouldn't deny the possiblity.

Po-Fu
Jun 12, 2006, 11:07 AM
Hunters couldn't straight up tank like in FFXI/EQ/WoW because there's no immediate emnity grabbing ability.(Provoke from FFXI, and what-have-you.) All they could do was hit for more than the Forces and Rangers combined, if the enemy stayed at all.

I never really liked Slicers, because it didn't suit my playstyle. I've seen some great hunters with slicers before though; and I'm not about to rule the possibility of slicers not making it into the game since almost every weapon class (Plus some) made it to PSU. I guess we'll just have to wait.

Kyuu
Jun 12, 2006, 01:22 PM
On 2006-06-11 23:30, Saner wrote:

that's not true. they don't take hits brainlessly since in PSO and this game you do have a better degree of control over evading attacks and avoiding damage.

especially with the new strafing feature.

plus Hunters can still use moon atomizers on others to help revive them, as well as consumables to keep themselves healthy.

I do believe you missed the fact that I was being sarcastic. >.>

Oh, and I don't believe they put in the ability to dual-wield a gun and weapon, or the ability to use ranged weapons at all, just for a boss fight or two. It's obvious to me that the suggestion that hunters have no business using ranged weapons of any sort, including slicers if they exist, is contradicted by the very mechanics of the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-06-12 11:25 ]</font>

Alisha
Jun 12, 2006, 01:55 PM
heres the rub though.theres many PA the launch enemies into the air.that is more time that the monsters cant attack rangers or fo's.but the real rub is this.if someone dies EVERYONE pays the price. so if a hunter decides to be greedy and use a slicer and a fo or ra does because the HU was positioning himself to attack with a slicer evryone pays for his selfishness.

DizzyDi
Jun 12, 2006, 02:36 PM
Kyuu, just because HUs can use guns doesn't mean that they're sopposed to. It would only be advantageous for a HU to use a ranged weapon in certain situations, like for soloing, or against flying enemies like that one boss.
The point I think Alisha is trying to make is that in PSU, characters have certain roles to play and the role for a HU is to tank while the RAs and FOs deal damage from afar and away from any damage. If a HU used a slicer he'd have to distance himself from the enemy some to use it properly, and since hes distanced from the enemy, hes not tanking any at all, which leaves the RAs and FOs open to damage. RAs and FOs have little HP and little DEF so so its best for them to avoid damage as much as possible.
RAs can use melee weapons, does that mean they should all the time? No, not really. FOs can use melee weapons too, does that mean they should all the time?

Kyuu
Jun 12, 2006, 03:39 PM
Right, whatever.

If the people who designed the game had intended for hunters to not use guns, then they wouldn't have given them the ability to. End of story.

There's nothing selfish about a hunter choosing to play in a manner different from the very rigid structure you have decided to invent. The only selfishness is in saying that people have to play how you say. No one is saying it's okay to go around letting people die in order to do what you want. However, the implication that people have to play how you say in order to be effective in a party is rediculous. If you don't want to use ranged weapons, then fine. Don't.

Edit: I also very distinctly recall seeing many videos of hunters using handguns in the beta, and *gasp* their party members weren't dying left and right!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-06-12 13:40 ]</font>

TheStoicOne
Jun 12, 2006, 04:05 PM
So if that icon on that picture is to a sword, what's that little fan icon over it for?

mechatra
Jun 12, 2006, 04:11 PM
You mean the top icon?

It's the symbol for the photon art asigned to the sword. Different PA's have different symbols I believe.

I think that particular one is "Tornado break"

DizzyDi
Jun 12, 2006, 04:56 PM
On 2006-06-12 13:39, Kyuu wrote:
Right, whatever.

If the people who designed the game had intended for hunters to not use guns, then they wouldn't have given them the ability to. End of story.

There's nothing selfish about a hunter choosing to play in a manner different from the very rigid structure you have decided to invent. The only selfishness is in saying that people have to play how you say. No one is saying it's okay to go around letting people die in order to do what you want. However, the implication that people have to play how you say in order to be effective in a party is rediculous. If you don't want to use ranged weapons, then fine. Don't.

Edit: I also very distinctly recall seeing many videos of hunters using handguns in the beta, and *gasp* their party members weren't dying left and right!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-06-12 13:40 ]</font>

Okay Kyuu, lets follow your logic. If you say its cool for hunter to use guns, then it must be cool for a force to go around using sabers all the time right? Instead of using wands and casting spells (what they excel in) equip a saber and go smashing things up with your very weak attack power and low defense.
I didn't invent any rigid structure, its just common sense. Hunters excel at close range so why would you pick the hunter class and then decide to use guns? If you wanted to do that you should switch to RANGE, so you can use RANGE weapons better, cause thats what they excel at. Like I said before, its cool for Hunters to use guns SOMETIMES, like when soloing, or when facing aeriel enemies, but theres a reason why they have a low gun skill. I'm not saying people have to play like this, you can do whatever you want, if you want to use guns with a hunter, shoot your heart out, all I'm saying is that Hunters weren't MEANT to use ranged weapons.