PDA

View Full Version : PSO/U Genre...

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2006, 02:48 PM
How bout we call PSO/U what it is from now on since people don't like calling it an MMORPG...and since FFXI and all the others could called an ORPG...How bout we call it an AORPG and put it in a class of it's own?!

mechatra
Jun 10, 2006, 02:51 PM
Adventure online role play game?

hmmm.... I'm not really much for genralising, but i guess it makes sense.

Polly
Jun 10, 2006, 02:53 PM
This is just as bad as labelling genres and sub-genres of music.

hypersaxon
Jun 10, 2006, 02:54 PM
Eh, Adventure Online RPG doesn't sound as cool as Action Online RPG http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

zandra117
Jun 10, 2006, 02:58 PM
I call PSU an MMOARPGH (Massively Multiplayer Online Action Role Playing Game Hybrid) and PSO an MOARPG (Multiplayer Online Action Role Playing Game). Because PSU is massively multiplayer outside of the battle areas. The largest of PSU cities holds 1000 people (200 people per floor on the Guardians Colony). PSO is not massively multiplayer though, the PSO lobbies only support about 25 people per lobby.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-06-10 13:01 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2006, 03:07 PM
Action foo!...not adventure.

I think generes are stupid but lets make psu feel special >.> it need some lovin since it didn't get any at E3 this year http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Inazuma
Jun 10, 2006, 05:14 PM
pso and psu are both MORPG (multiplayer online role playing game)

no need to come up w/ a new genre when they already have one.

*edit* wait, no need to have that M in there, cuz what online game doesnt have multiplayer? ORPG (online rpg) works best imo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Inazuma on 2006-06-10 15:54 ]</font>

Rubesahl
Jun 10, 2006, 07:47 PM
Lets just say its an ORPG, online RPG lol I do admit saying its action is necessarry and yes its also massive in the lobbies >_> I guess you could say its hybrid... HMAORPG 'Hybrid Massive Action Online RPG' so I'm with zandra lol

DikkyRay
Jun 10, 2006, 07:48 PM
WOOT! PSU will be the best online game ever. It deserves to be in its own calss because no other online games can even come close to psu (and im talking about wow, which will never be as awesome as psu)

CupOfCoffee
Jun 10, 2006, 08:05 PM
^ You have no idea how awesome PSU will be, especially compared to WoW. Now, I'm no WoW fanatic, but it just gets a retarded amount of flak in this forum. To compare two completely different games, one of which isn't even out yet and say that the latter will be infinitely better than the former is just... well, completely idiotic. Remember when Metroid Prime was on the horizon and everyone was running around, spouting off rhetoric about how it would be the Halo killer, only to eat their words a few days after it came out and it became apparent that it was nowhere near similiar enough to Halo to even be compared? Remember that?

I don't mean to go on an anti-PSU crusade or anything similar, but you guys are hyping it up way too much. There's no way it will live up to expectations of being the greatest game ever, especially with the half-witted Sonic Team behind the wheel. An above-average online game? Probably, but keep in mind that what little support they do provide will likely be in the same vein as we've seen with PSO--close to undetectable, especially on the North American servers.

WoW may not be perfect but it receives the majority of insults and slander that it does here because it did enough things right to build and maintain an incredible player base. Everyone seems to forget that, but whatever. Not like my little post here is going to change anything anyway.

DizzyDi
Jun 10, 2006, 08:08 PM
On 2006-06-10 12:53, Triela wrote:

Off Topic: Whats so bad about that?

Kyuu
Jun 10, 2006, 08:31 PM
Now, I'm no WoW fanatic, but it just gets a retarded amount of flak in this forum.This is an PSO/U forum. What do you expect, a bunch of people going on about how amazing WoW is? You want to see some WoW lovers, go to the WoW forums. Oh wait, everyone on the WoW forums do nothing but complain about the game too. Ah well.

To compare two completely different games, one of which isn't even out yet and say that the latter will be infinitely better than the former is just... well, completely idiotic.Yeah... why? Here's something people can't seem to get through their heads: Two things do not have to be exactly the same for people to compare them. In fact, things that are exactly the same can't be compared because there's nothing to compare when there are no differences. I know this may be a new idea to some, but people can in fact discuss things they like about one game and dislike about the other regardless of how similar or dissimilar they are. Complete similarity is not necessary to make valid comparisons that involve subjective evaluations of what a person likes and dislikes.

Blah blah Halo blah Metroid Prime... Remember that?No, actually, I don't.

I don't mean to go on an anti-PSU crusade or anything similar, but you guys are hyping it up way too much.Again, this is a PSO/U forum, and most of us are here because we are very much anticipating the game and want to discuss what we know and speculate about what we don't know and even *gasp* talk about the things that we think will be great about the game. I'm not sure what exactly is supposed to be wrong with that.

There's no way it will live up to expectations of being the greatest game ever, especially with the half-witted Sonic Team behind the wheel.Then go to half-witted Blizzard and play their game, which I played quite a lot of and can list quite a lot of problems and voice many complaints about. In fact, I went back to PSO, and am enjoying myself much more than I was with WoW. Also, what most people fail to realize about PSO: Sega never intended for PSO to be such a long term project. Hence, they never had a plan to keep it supported for anywhere near the five years it has been. PSU, however, is intended as a long-term project from the get-go, and I am betting they will do a much better job with support this time around for that very reason.

An above-average online game? Probably, but keep in mind that what little support they do provide will likely be in the same vein as we've seen with PSO--close to undetectable, especially on the North American servers.Again, this is likely to be false. Sega is planning for PSU to be supported for the long-term from the start, and so they will have the resources allocated for the necessary support.

WoW may not be perfect but it receives the majority of insults and slander that it does here because it did enough things right to build and maintain an incredible player base.It recieves insults and slander for two reasons: first, this is the forum for a competing product. I'm not sure what you were expecting. Second, it's because it really is an inferior product. Popularity is not indicative of the quality of a product. I need only to point out how many of the top-selling musical artists in America are completely talentless to prove my point. Of course, that's my opinion, but then so is what you think of WoW/PSU.

Not like my little post here is going to change anything anyway.And I'm quite glad of that. I don't come to these forums to see a bunch of people who don't care about PSU and make threads about what a "meh" game it will be compared to truely great games like WoW (which is, past level 60, truely just an EQ-raid clone... also known as a snoozefest, in my opinion).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-06-10 18:34 ]</font>

Inazuma
Jun 10, 2006, 08:40 PM
Kyuu, you are awesome. i love reading your posts cuz you seem like you got everything figured out. keep it up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

and btw, i have played the psu beta and at least in my opinion, it is the very best game ever created.

CupOfCoffee
Jun 10, 2006, 09:01 PM
Duh. Did you not notice when I said I'm not even a WoW fan? Half the crap you just posted is completely irrelevant because I don't need convincing that WoW isn't fun.

My point was not that PSU is going to be worse than WoW, you dork. I just happen to see an insane amount of really stupid posts around here that clearly state the opposite--"PSU will own WoW!" If you think it's great for people to say things like that before PSU even comes out, then as you stated, you obviously do not remember anything about the release of Metroid Prime. Sure is a good thing you quoted that part and replied to it given the fact that this is the case, by the way. Besides, I don't care how much faith you have in Sonic Team--it's still stupid to expect a good job from a company that's given us basically nothing but crap as far as support for their game goes for, yep, five years now. PSO was never intended to be a long-term project? Well, it became one. Wouldn't a responsible company have allocated more support once it became apparent that the project was really taking off? Sonic Team didn't. Red flag? Huh?

Things don't need to be similar to fairly compare them? Geez, I'll be lucky if I hear something more nonsensical at any point the rest of this month. Hello? *knock knock* Does the phrase "apples to oranges" mean anything to you? Wait, are you even in high school yet? Have fun writing essays trying to compare park benches to astral bodies, or empty inkjet cartridges to the human muscular system. Stupid junk may fly on the internet, but in any kind of intelligent discussion, making stupid comparisons between two vastly different concepts or things just won't cut it.

I love PSO, North American server support or no, and it's absolutely fine for people to be excited for PSU. Heck, I think it's great. The game will likely be a blast, especially in the first few months. I just get annoyed when people spout off crap about how it's going to be this be-all end-all god of online RPGs that will completely destroy the competition. Immerse yourself in that kind of environment if you want, but now it's all-too-clear to me why I've almost never posted in this forum before.

Polly
Jun 10, 2006, 09:04 PM
On 2006-06-10 18:08, DizzyDi wrote:

On 2006-06-10 12:53, Triela wrote:

Off Topic: Whats so bad about that?

Because it gets just as retarded and nobody can seemingly agree on much.

You're better off calling it "online game" since that's the one thing everyone could probably agree on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Triela on 2006-06-10 19:17 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2006, 11:19 PM
On 2006-06-10 19:01, CupOfCoffee wrote:
Things don't need to be similar to fairly compare them? Geez, I'll be lucky if I hear something more nonsensical at any point the rest of this month. Hello? *knock knock* Does the phrase "apples to oranges" mean anything to you? Wait, are you even in high school yet? Have fun writing essays trying to compare park benches to astral bodies, or empty inkjet cartridges to the human muscular system. Stupid junk may fly on the internet, but in any kind of intelligent discussion, making stupid comparisons between two vastly different concepts or things just won't cut it.

Before i go on my small rant... go back to the other thread this isn't a the PSU > WoW thread...

Now on to what I am about to say that makes the point of what you said being wrong. Sega release Sega CD (or 32X, can't remember which) as a short term add-on and then later released Sega Saturn as a long term console. They went bankrupt and didn't port most games to america that they had planned because theey couldn't because noone bought it after being screwed by them, however there was still a few core fans that bought Saturn and ALSO bought Dreamcast in america (i bought 2) They dropped support again in america.

Now if we look at that... I guess we could say a console is nothing like a game and as such we can't compare the fact that PSO and SEGA CD were both meant to be short term projects that lost their support and pissed off many potential customers. one is a console the other is software and can't be compared at all appearantly because there is so much more difference than two programs that target the same consumers through the same game genre and are both made by top tier publishing and designing companies. Both are fairly populuar and have a strong core following. Since they have all that in common and can't be compared than neither should hardware and software made by the same company and seem to be following the same path. Just by virtue that I can say all that is a comparison in itself. To know what is the same we most know what is different and knowing what is different means we have compared them.

I can a rock to a planet and apple to a rabbit and further more a rabbit to a planet and a rock to an apple. I don't see why I can't compare an apple to an orange and those who think that way are fools.

Authenticate
Jun 10, 2006, 11:48 PM
How's this for comparing apples to oranges? I like orange juice but not oranges. I like apple juice and apples. Therefore oranges are only half as good as apples. HA! I win. Gimme my cookie.

CupOfCoffee
Jun 11, 2006, 12:08 AM
...It's in the mail, dude. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

And, uh... I'm not really sure what you said, Durakken. Maybe... it'll make sense tomorrow.