PDA

View Full Version : What would be the best way to describe PSU?

zandra117
Jun 10, 2006, 04:27 PM
Im thinking its gonna be like an online multiplayer Fable in space.

Im trying to think of a quick description so that I can tell people that have never heard of the game about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-06-10 14:29 ]</font>

Sotaka
Jun 10, 2006, 04:34 PM
I'd hope it wouldn't be as terrible as Fable...

justinbrady
Jun 10, 2006, 04:40 PM
fable was horrible..so boring

tikigod13
Jun 10, 2006, 04:42 PM
It was supposed to be uber. good job lion guys >.< go make black and white 3 or something so the monkeys can throw turds at the enemy or something.

kassy
Jun 10, 2006, 04:57 PM
"PSO on steroids"?

I always refer to it as "MORPG", as apposed to a "MMORPG", hmm, I can't really think of any other game bar PSO to compare it to. Lol, I suck.

Dre_o
Jun 10, 2006, 05:39 PM
I say we classify it as this

PSU>All other RPG/MMO/MMORPG/Any other clever combination of letters

Dhylec
Jun 10, 2006, 05:47 PM
kassy wrote:
I always refer to it as "MORPG", as apposed to a "MMORPG"

Well, you aren't the only one thinking like that. PSO & PSU's game system is unique. They are online action RPG's, but quite different from most MMORPG's out there. They should be a genre by itself. MORPG is probably the best way to describe them. ;]

ChemicalO
Jun 10, 2006, 07:01 PM
Hey fable might not have lived up to all the hype, but it was still a very good game. The action and fighting mechanics were good. I have not played any Phantasy star games, so is action similar though?

RoninJoku
Jun 10, 2006, 10:05 PM
MOARPG

Multiplayer-online-action RPG http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I would have to add the word "action" to the genre description to convey the message that this isn't a typical online RPG... Action RPGs (to me) are always so much more fun and exciting than typical RPGs, so the differentiation between the two seems necessary...

hypersaxon
Jun 10, 2006, 10:39 PM
On 2006-06-10 15:39, Dre_o wrote:
I say we classify it as this

PSU>All other RPG/MMO/MMORPG/Any other clever combination of letters

More like PSU>All other RPG/MMO/MMORPG/Any other clever combination of letters>FFXI

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

vitius137
Jun 11, 2006, 12:08 AM
I always describe it as a sort of online-RPGish-Zelda game. This either excites people or confuses them.

OdinTyler
Jun 12, 2006, 12:32 AM
It's the PS genre. Phantasy Star is a genre all to itself.

Oh & Vitius, technically, Zelda's an adventure game, not an RPG (tho it has similar RPG elements).

Saner
Jun 12, 2006, 01:34 AM
MMOARPG sounds a bit accurate.

Rihcky
Jun 12, 2006, 04:43 AM
I guess MORPG would be the best way. I really don't know why the "A" should be included. Pretty much all online RPGs are action RPGs.

Kamica
Jun 12, 2006, 07:22 AM
On 2006-06-10 14:27, zandra117 wrote:
Im thinking its gonna be like an online multiplayer Fable in space.

Im trying to think of a quick description so that I can tell people that have never heard of the game about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-06-10 14:29 ]</font>

Quick description huh?
I think that can be arranged

Inazuma's:
- you can mute players
- you can kick and ban players from your party
- you can change the mission name/comment/item distribution options and password, even DURING a mission.
- the player shops are extremely well done. you can search for other player's shops via item name, player name or shop discription.
- the "my room"'s keep track of who has visited them and will give you a time and date. also, you can even check other players rooms and see who has visited. plus, you can go and visit any of those players rooms rite from that list.
- if you complete the starting tutorial, you are given a partner card from an npc. this lets you invite them whenever you want to help you in a battle field. they do take up a player slot but you can kick them outta the party anytime.
- cant use techs? the maximum holding limits for items such as mates has been increased to 20. also, you can still get shifta/deband/ata & evade up/magic attack & mind power up from ITEMS. there is even an item that will give you all 4 stat boosts at the same time.
- you can form a party w/ anyone anytime as long as they are on the same server and not already in a party. once you are in a party, the party never breaks up until you leave. so you can go fight thru grasslands, move to a different planet to do some shopping then go do another area and stay in the party the entire time. you can have members of the same party on different planets too. there is a party chat feature that lets you stay in communication w/ everyone no matter where they are. plus, you can check to see where each party member is at anytime.
- see someone doing a lot of damage and you wanna know why? you can check the stats and equipment of any player, even if they arent in your party.
- in addition to the regular chat bubbles, psu gives you the option for shout and thought bubbles. and the cut in chat feature adds emotion. all of these things together really improve the communication. oh and also you can change the color of your text to whatever you want.
- automatically checks to see who is online/offline at all times. just bring up your card list like normal and you can see easily who is online at that moment. in the pic above, the players that were online had that white icon on the far right.
- new mail sort system: you can assign a number from 1 to 5 for each person in your list. the higher someone's number, the higher up on your card list they are. everyone defaults at #5 btw.
- you can send the same mail to as many ppl as you want, by selecting them from your partner card list.
- when replying to a mail, you have the option of keeping the recieved text as part of your reply mail. sorta like the reply w/ quote option we have on these boards.
- in the psu beta, there didnt seem to be any way to search another player's location ><. however, if you party w/ someone you can easily check the party members' location. this was prob my biggest complaint and hopefully they change it for full ver.
- lobby actions are much improved. the 4 dance actions are continuous, just keep holding the button.
- if you un-equip your weapons, you can do a limited number of lobby actions in a battle field.
- sit anywhere http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif (you can also change your siting style w/o standing up first)
- the beta didnt have a widescreen mode, but the ver shown at e3 was in widescreen mode for all platforms.
- the camera stick lets you look around in any direction. the cool part is, everyone else can see your char's head moving around to match it.
- when you create your char, you can choose from a variety of different voices and adjust the pitch. there are some really ridiculous voices out there, btw.
- all the monsters in the game have a certain element type, which is shown as a colored dot near their name. this can help you determine which element would work best vs them. for example, ice attacks work best against a fire element monster, and fire attacks work best against an ice element. it looks like they work in pairs.
- if you are revived by a scape doll, the party will not lose any of their mission rewards.
- shared bank in your "my room" that lets you transfer items between the 4 chars in one account.
- all photon arts, bullets and techs level up as you use them.
- vibration support for controllers.
- you can side-step and even walk backwards.
- able to shoot some guns while moving.
- PP recharge cube at every boss warp.
- unlike psobb, psu does NOT always take up 100% of cpu power.

Mine:
-Atleast 9 All new bosses plus many other stages(only 2 out of the 4 stages in the beta actually had bosses)
-When you get disconnected, you will appear in the same part of the city as when you got disconnected
-There are rest areas halfway through a stage. If you get disconnected while playing through the seond half of the stage then you will be warped to the rest area, NOT the beginning.
-Rest areas get rid of the broken rings and telepipes. But, you still dont need to walk a long distance to catch up to a group because there are crystals that warp you to the beginning of the area in which the party is currently at.
-There are spots that are added in which it is fun to just sit down and chat. The feeling of being able to sit in the hot springs and talk to other people about your experiences after a rough neudaiz run is great.
-Re-balancing: ST was aware of the fact that there were so many inbalances in PSO and this game was made with that in mind. HU/RA/FO and the races were all balanced in the right way.
-You can change to hunter, ranger, or force at anytime by going to a place and paying a small fee.
-Well OVER 1000 items that you can buy in shops. A large selection of clothing and styles makes it so you can really customize yourself to your exact liking. You will hardly EVER see 2 people that look the same to the vast amount f styles.
-When you grind an item, the item is not grinded by a small amount but rather by A LOT. However, each time you grind an item, the chances of the item breaking increases. The maximum you can grind an item up to is 10. However, the chances you make it all the way up to 10 is small.
-With so many items to buy, higher item costs, lowered amount of meseta found on ground, and items to grind, meseta is a lot more vauable. Infact, next to none of the players during the beta used moon atomizers because buying them was too inconvenient for what you need to do and buy.
-Different modes of difficulty were elimanated in favor of rank missions. The rank mission style setup makes it so that something new and special happens every 5 levels, regardless of what level you are.
-Blacksmithing: You can make new and better items by gathering materials to make many new and better materials.
-Your room is very customizeable and can be shaped into something of your exact liking and style
-When someone gets a rare, a message will go across the screen saying who got the rare, the name of the rare, and how many stars it is.
-Various forms of leveling including job leveling, technique leveling, and reguler leveling.
-The only death penalty is the fact that your reward at the end of a mission is reduced drastically.
-Mechguns have been rebalanced so that you have infinite shots in a combo, but it sucks PP up quickly. Mechguns are also a lot weaker.
-New techniques. Many of the old techniques look completly different than they did in PSO.
-The PP system makes force become very fun to use in PSU because you do not need to worry about the steep cost of fluids. Also, it makes sure that hunters and rangers cant abuse a photon art too badly.
-About the item sharing tool. The options for a party are split between rare items/normal items or both. You can select for an item to be always be randomly assigned to a player, assigned based on items gotten, or the reguler PSO style of playing.
-A large emphasis on the offline portion of the game. Including an extra mode, which lets you explore as your own character.
-Vehicles that can be used for offline and online

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Jun 12, 2006, 10:57 AM
On 2006-06-12 02:43, Rihcky wrote:
I guess MORPG would be the best way. I really don't know why the "A" should be included. Pretty much all online RPGs are action RPGs.

Well sure, an action rpg is quite different from a normal rpg. In a normal rpg, you tell your character to attack the target... and then you could esentially put down the controller until you need to do something else.
But in an action rpg, every individual attack or action is performed by the player... Requiring for more skill than a regular rpg.
Some players, myself included, get bored playing regular rpgs... If I don't see the "action" included in the genre, I'm alot less likely to play the game. I think MOARPG is the appropriate name for PSO and PSU's genre. The reason I just say multiplayer online, and not massive multiplayer is because unlike FFXI, When you are playing in an area, the only people you interact with is your party... There is no influence by outside players on your team.

chibiLegolas
Jun 12, 2006, 11:58 AM
The way I describe it to my friends is a sci-fi/fantasy, 3D, onine, rpg. And the battle style might remind you of Secret of Mana 3 or Tales of Phantasia series (but 3D). But with dungeon structure/battle layout of Diablo, for familiar references.
The newer 3D zelda games isn't a bad reference either (mentioned earlier). I see PSO more action related than story anyways. So it's light on the rpg element anyways.

DikkyRay
Jun 12, 2006, 01:51 PM
the best? I think God himself is making sega make the game

daddy_zach
Jun 16, 2006, 05:15 PM
In 4 words.

1.The

2.Best

3.Game

4.Ever!!!!!

AvianKaitos
Jun 17, 2006, 12:46 AM
People look at me funny when I mention phantasy star online. Then they continue to talk about WoW and how much they are slaves to it. It’s insulting -_-

The best way I would describe it is: an MMO version of Star Ocean, or the Xenosaga series in terms of art style. As for game play I usually use the Zelda comparison for its action oriented battle.

Ibuka
Jun 17, 2006, 12:58 AM
I describe it as Super Phantasy Star Online 2 Turbo XD. But really though... I guess i would describe it as like if Monster Hunter & PSO fused with Guild Wars Ragnarok Online elements... But that's just me

vitius137
Jun 17, 2006, 02:28 AM
It's great. It's fabulous.

It's..... Greatabulous!!!