PDA

View Full Version : Questions to Closed Beta users about clothing options, etc.

Uri
Jun 11, 2006, 01:40 PM
Looking at the clothing options shown in the vids that the beta players made, I was never very impressed with what I saw.

But when I was watching the Network of PSU video on YouTube, one piece caught my eye:
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/3748/jacketpsu1ve.jpg

After studying it for a while I decided my character will be dressed with that jacket.

I went to the PSU video thread and watched some of the clothing shop and estee shop videos to try and see if this clothing option was available. Alas, it was not.

So my question is this: will the clothing options be more diverse with the full version? I noticed that there are 50 options that the player was looking through.

Also, was the clip showing the clothes available at a store, or in the closet of your room?

And one last question to the beta users. I'm sure the question has been asked many times but I'm curious. What would you rate the PSU beta on a scale of 1-10? Is it better than PSO? How?

Thanks for your time! ^_^

Lord_DS
Jun 11, 2006, 01:47 PM
This capture is from the first and old network video. Sega released there is one week a new network vid and there is exactly the same amount of choice than in the beta for the character creation mode...Don't worry, i am sure this jacket and a lot of another we havn't seen will be available in the final release of the game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lord_DS on 2006-06-11 11:49 ]</font>

Kyuu
Jun 11, 2006, 01:51 PM
Yes, there will be more clothing options in the full version (we assume, since no one has played the full version yet... but it's pretty certain, since there are clothing options seeing in videos that weren't there in the beta).

If you look at the katakana at the top of the screen, it says "Character Creation." So it's safe to assume the clip is from the Character Creation screen.

I obviously can't answer the last question from personal experience, but I'm 99.9999999999999% certain the answers are: somewhere between 7 and 10, yes, and in lots of ways. =P

Kupi
Jun 11, 2006, 04:44 PM
On 2006-06-11 11:40, Uri wrote:
Is it better than PSO? How?

I'll hit the high points:

- The gameplay engine has been completely revamped. Characters now go immediately into running, you can lock onto and strafe around individual enemies on command, and certain weapons (mostly guns) allow you to move while attacking. Overall, gameplay is a lot smoother.
- There are no restrictions on combinations of race, class, and sex. For instance, you can now play as a male Newman Hunter, whereas in PSO the combination simply did not exist.
- Characters are no longer limited to a single class chosen at character creation. Rather, a character can switch classes at a particular "shop" in town for a small fee. The same character could be a Hunter, Ranger, or Force, but not all at the same time.
- Class abilities are more segregated now. For instance, only Forces can use Techniques. However, Hunters get "Skills", which are weapon attacks that can be used to deal extra damage (think of them as a combination of the Heavy Attack and the Special Attack, with better graphics), and Rangers get "Bullets" (which modify weapon stats and give a chance of causing a status effect on-hit). There is some overlap in the availability of these "Photon Arts", but for the most part Hunters use Skills, Rangers use Bullets, and Forces use Techniques. Ultimately, this is an improvement because it makes the divide between the classes more meaningful.
- You can now use chat bubbles with special effects on them, such as "shouting" or "thinking". Also, Symbol Chat has been replaced with "Cut-In Chat", which displays your character's face in one of a number of pre-set emotional states. It doesn't have the versatility of Symbol Chat, but that's a small price to pay for not seeing phalluses crash into the World Trade Center in the lobbies.
- MAGs have been replaced with Partner Machines, which, rather than granting you stat bonuses, act as a crafting system of sorts, taking materials and turning them into weapons and items. Once they reach their highest evolutionary state, they can even come along and fight at your side, though nobody knows exactly how this works.
- Offline mode now has a plot.
- As you'd probably expect, everything's been expanded. There are more weapon types, more item types, more Technique types, and so on and so forth.
- Player-controlled vehicular "combat" (if you count flattening everything in your way with a tank "fighting").
- An entirely new race, the Beasts, who mostly fill the "tankish bruiser" role.
- The penalty for death is a reduced reward at the end of the mission (all excursions into combat areas take the form of missions, like the Hunter's Guild quests). You don't lose anything for dying, you just get (much) less when you win.

There's a whole lot more, but I'm tired of typing. PSOW has guides for most everything that's been made publicly available. If it's not in PSOW's guides, nobody knows yet.

Saner
Jun 11, 2006, 05:11 PM
huh??? characters go immediately into running?

you can't walk anymore????? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

mechatra
Jun 11, 2006, 05:17 PM
I believe someone said the walking/running now works on *real* anologue control, though how this works on a PC keyboard I don't know.

For anyone who doesn't know what the difference between anologue and digital control is:

Digital is like PSO - you have an on and off control - you're either standing still, or walking-leading into a run.

From what I've head PSU's system has varying degrees of movent between off and full on, allowing you to control the speed you actually move at move accurately.

Of course if I'm remembering wrongly, or someone was lying then, yes you can only run now. ^_^

DizzyDi
Jun 11, 2006, 05:19 PM
You can walk but there needs to be a certain button pressed in order for you to do so. Or I'm thinking if you're using a controller with an analog still, slightly pressing foward will allow you to walk.

Jozon
Jun 11, 2006, 05:22 PM
Is this game better played with a controller or mouse and keyboard?

RFB
Jun 11, 2006, 06:03 PM
I'd go for Gamepad. A dual analog stick gamepad, if possible, so you can control your character with the left one, and the camera with the right one.

Saner
Jun 11, 2006, 06:18 PM
ohhhh maybe that's what they meant.

ya because in PSO you had to walk a few steps before they started to run.

TheyCallMeJoe
Jun 11, 2006, 11:53 PM
i'm glad they did away with the "hmm-i'm-gonna-take-a-few-steps-before-running-so-that-I-can-give-Dimenians-a-chance-to-smack-me-one" thing. If you still want to keep that coolness aura going, I'm sure you will have to hold shift or something while moving to walk (if you're using a keyboard).

Uri
Jun 12, 2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the responds.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

cp99
Jun 12, 2006, 06:53 PM
I also remember reading that more clothing options may be found as items or as rewards for quests. As we know almost nothing about the inner workings of PSU right now, it is not safe to bet on any one thing.

TheyCallMeJoe: Nice sig. 3000+ hours offline. Untill PSU...