PDA

View Full Version : Pso/u vs mmorpgs.

Ifrian
Jun 14, 2006, 09:15 PM
I started this post after reading the post pso>wow
In that one post , people discussed why they thought psu would be more/less popular than wow , but in this one i want to read your opinion about why you prefer pso/u over the mmorpgs that actually there is ( or inversed ).

Things i like of pso/u over mmorpgs.

1) CUSTOMIZATION: On pso/u , i can make my character how i imagine it to be, and i can make it look nice without have to be lv 99999 and spend half my life to get that one cool looking shirt.

2) MY EFFORTS GET REWARDED: On pso/u . everyone can achieve the same ,of course , those who play more amount of time will get it faster , but everyone will eventually get to their goals.
(Unlike most mmorpgs where if you are not in a 1337 uber group , you get stucked when you reach max lv)

3) I DEPEND ONLY ON MYSELF ( most of time ): Even if , of course , to party makes things easier and more fun, i do not depend of 40 more guys in my raid to be able to achieve my goals .
I depend only on myself. if my friends / guildmates are off , i can continue playing and getting where i want.
And if , simply , im a lonely guy , who enjoys playing alone , and just being in lobbys when want to meet other ppl , i can too ( not that i am)

4) COMMUNITY : The community of pso/u is far more enjoyable and mature than most of the mmorpgs community.
I guess the fact this game doesent puts you to compete and against all the rest of people , allows the community to get along a lot better.

5) COOPERATION: pso/u games help and pomote cooperation , rather than making players step on each other to achieve their goals.

THings i like more on mmorpgs over pso/u

1)ExPLORE THE OPEN WORLD: One of the things i love more of my online games , is the feeling of explore that one new land i finally arrived to , and pso/u sadly , doesent offers much of that ( even if on psu zones are supposed to be diff everytime you enter ( or thats what i understood) it will be still the same mobs , the same trees ecc , just in a diff order )

2) THE PERMANENT WORLD : pso/u will never offer me that unexplainable feeling i do feel when , after a year , i return to that one low lv place i did use to have a lot of problems with , when i was a newbie , and slain all mobs with few moves , and then explore again the zone and remember about my past experiences , and maybe , see a newbie player having the same trouble i had back then.

What about you ?^^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ifrian on 2006-06-14 19:17 ]</font>

Pheromone
Jun 14, 2006, 09:17 PM
On 2006-06-14 19:15, Ifrian wrote:

4) COMMUNITY : The community of pso/u is far more enjoyable and mature than most of the wow community.
I guess the fact this game doesent puts you to compete and against all the rest of people , allows the community to get along a lot better.

I belive that the WoW community is much more mature than the jerks I have known in the PSO community. Never did I meet a jerk in WoW... where in pso, I have met countless many

Ifrian
Jun 14, 2006, 09:20 PM
I corrected wow for mmorpgs ( i was playing wow while posting this and it slipped in http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

Kyuu
Jun 14, 2006, 10:22 PM
On 2006-06-14 19:17, Pheromone wrote:
I belive that the WoW community is much more mature than the jerks I have known in the PSO community. Never did I meet a jerk in WoW... where in pso, I have met countless many

It's all subjective experience. My time on the PSO community has been, all in all, much more pleasant than on WoW. In my time on WoW, I met more than a few jerks, one guild leader who was a lecherous pig, and many, many greedy idiots. *shrugs*

Rubesahl
Jun 14, 2006, 10:39 PM
I agree with prettty much everything you said Ifrian.

The way PSO/U works is something I've always tried to explain but I have a hard time putting it in words.

First of all its the only game I feel free to play with strangers. The only other game I felt like that was in Anarchy Online, which had a superb community. Another thing is the ease to find teams... That's pretty much PSO's main attraction, the way its so natural to make teams. And you don't necesarilly have to talk much, even though it usually comes out so naturally, I also don't feel excessive pressure as if I'm doing my job right or wrong. Which brings me to another topic>>

In MMORPGs there's this 'system' in all of them where you pretty much earn 'degrees' in areas of expertise. For example, if you want to be a healer, you have to learn the ropes to do so [This is not really a problem with people who keep constant contact with MMORPGs though]. The process can end up being frustrating and discouraging. Let it be players not being friendly to explain the basics for you or probably being kicked out of the group. Same goes for tankers, nukers, and additional support classes. Plus no class escapes the dreadful error of: Someone accidentally walked too far and a whole room filled of super high level mobs attacked resulting in a dead party in less than 10 seconds.>>

It is this 'invisible' mechanic that makes mmorpgs discouraging for me. In my case after so many mmorpgs I've played, I'm pretty much used to the idea on how things work but I still get discouraged when groups get so disorganized which brings another topic that the author of this thread mentioned>>

The thing I've never escaped from any game, the 'indirect' need to be in a guild. Problems with that? No problem for those who have a lot of free time since usually most of these players either: 1. only play the mmorpg and rarely play other games or 2. Kids and adolescents who have more free time since they're in high school and junior high. I know of this cause I remember when high school was much less time consuming than college and I had a lot of time to play.>>

A person like me who goes to college with 5 classes each semester and who likes to do well on his classes ends up being incredibly short in time to spend time in a guild that requires time to take advantage of [as in level up together] since they'll probably keep leveling up and you'll be left behind. Which brings me to another topic>>

MMORPGs involve reasonable time to actually play. Not to mention most of these [For example, Everquest 2, which I currentlly play] have tiring loading times and even a longer boot up time. But besides that is the process of >> advertising yourself to find a team >> get the team organized >> wait for everyone to get to the destination since some were buying supplies >> pray to god you have a good chemistry with your teamates. >> pray for no deadly accidents . __ .;

Now the next thing is directly pointed to western and usually American MMORPGs... bad designs. Usually: Bad character designs [since they actually make great envioroments]. Untasteful and many times with crazy color palettes >_>; Example: The forest where the night elves start >_> those goblins looked like they sniffed a lot of neon gas and were this incredibly bright orange . __ .; that's just crazy...
But leaving colors aside which is something that's probably subjective to a certain degree [though i still believe there are certain universal rules that should be used when using colors so strong...]

Character designs in western RPGs aren't that good. Label me if you want as an asian freak but Japanese and Korean character designs are much much better than western ones.

For example in WoW I only liked one race: the undead o _ o;; My sister somehow got me into making a nightelf which I felt completely unidentified with! (Of course for her it was easy since the female night elf was quite slender and kinda cute) I was like: who the hell is this? Mr. T with purple die? so I thought 'ooh maybe a human' Quite a scary sight..

Oh but don't worry, WoW isn't the only game I'll critisize, I'll also critisize another mmorpg, one I currentlly play, EQ2. One of the most horrendous hairstyles can be found in EQ2 -__-; And this idea that every humanoid must be muscular with six packs and all. In fact, the main reason I had a really easy time making characters was cause: EQ2 has alternate character models made by SOGA: Sony online entertainment's department in Asia who design some models that appealed more the asian audience, therefore they appealed me a lot more. Otherwise EQ2 also suffers from weird color selection >_>

PSO/U pretty much covers all those things the annoy me of MMORPGs. Its fast to get into, I can easily find a team [i imagine it would be quite easy to do in PSU too], good designs, no taboos on how to play or how not to play, much more straightforward.

I actually think communities in mmorpgs is a really relative subject. I hear all different experiences from all games. In FFXI my friend was constantly being d@#k slapped by some taru for about an hour, constantly wrestling with finding a team but it seems everyone in the server was level 20+ cause a WHITE mage like me couldn't find a team >_> but other people have told me wonderful things of FFXIs community. In WoW I've heard awful things and good things. As for me, I have a simple strategy for that which hasn't failed: Play in RP servers. Usually the nicest people play in these servers and playing in character is actually pretty fun. In PSO I found both immature obnoxious players but these usually hanged out in the 1st ship 1st block so I would go to the PSOW block which honestly has really nice people. And in Gamecube I'd go to the Japanese servers every once in a while to practice my japanese.

In the end, PSO is FOR ME more fun than a MMORPG. But a good MMORPG with a good amount of friends that have a similar lifestyle can bring a lot of good times. The game that has given me such a similar feeling of PSO was Guild Wars which is like PSU, not exactly a MMO. Plus it has AMAZING designs that rival asian designs greatly.

Btw, very nice thread subject http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Those are my 224009 cents >_>;; sorry for making such a long post lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubesahl on 2006-06-14 20:40 ]</font>

phunk
Jun 14, 2006, 11:06 PM
I plan to return to PSO/U for the reason that most major MMORPGs to date are very time consuming and become more of a routine or they have the feeling of a chore.

PSO was the only MMO (or mini-MMO) I played where it was actually enjoyable to head out and exp, spend hours looking for a rare drop, enjoy challenge mode and battle mode. It seems like most MMOs at the time are missing that fun factor. I've been playing FFXI off and on for about three years, and I'm finally calling it quits this month; selling my character and everything =. The game was fun but not because of gameplay, but community (I play on Fairy server). I felt the game was missing out on activities for players that didn't have 6+ hours to put into one session, whereas PSO was a game where you could pick up, play for about 30mins and still accomplish many things.

At the time I'm sort of in that MMO-limbo, just looking for something to play until PSU is released or a NA beta pops up. So its more or less me just playing on private servers for any MMO. Really excited for what PSU has to offer though, got a chance to play the single-player portion of it at E3 and it has the same real-time, fast-paced feel like it did the first time I picked up the Dreamcast and gave PSO a try.

Easy!

Disasteroid
Jun 15, 2006, 07:51 AM
It's all about the fighting systems. I'd hate to use WoW as an example but it is the only MMORPG I have experience with... The fighting system in WoW just isn't any fun at all. Unfortunately, thats what you're doing most of the time! Clicking on something to auto attack and then clicking icons to perform special attacks whenever possible just isn't fun compared to being able to dodge and attack enemies on your own free will. The fighting in WoW just feels too automated. The fact that I had much more control over my character's attacks and movements in PSO easily makes it more fun than any regular MMO (or in my case, WoW).

I never had too many gripes with PSO except for the fact that I would KILL to be able to type more than two lines of text every time I spoke. It was a rarity that I wouldn't have to break my sentences up into two (or more) chat bubbles. For the love of god, tell me we can type more in PSU or at least get a text box on screen at all times like MMOs do!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Disasteroid on 2006-06-15 05:53 ]</font>

Po-Fu
Jun 15, 2006, 07:07 PM
I like PSO a ton more than I ever did any other MMORPG. Three things that it has that puts it ahead for me:

1) That smelly super rare monster. In FFXI, there is almost no conversation that doesn't have talk of that %^#$%^&#$^$%&$%#&&&*(%^&$%^$%^! Notorious Monster that was claimed by a Chinese RMT player. And mobs in PSO drop stuff, but usually, because there is only 4 in a team and noone else in the zone, it's easier to decide who gets what.

2) RMT. If you don't know what this is, that's a good thing. There is none in PSO that I've ever known.

3) Economy. For PSO there is no AH-esque thing.This means that you don't have to worry about rushing to get money to get a certain item, and having to worry about if someone bought it or not. There is also no domination on the markets. The only thing you really need Maeseta for is Mates, Fluids, and whatever else grabs you. All the good weapons/Armor/Accessories you find in-mission, as opposed to being crafted.

These three things makes PSO (in my opinion) better than any other MMORPG. Three more:

4) As is the case with FFXI, PSO is a ton easier to guesstimate how certain things work. In FFXI; there is a lot of confusion on how everything works. Items, missions, ETC.

5) You have the ability to level by yourself. This speaks on its' own. Play FFXI for a while, and you will understand how important this really is. Now some might say PSO you -have- to party, but if you know what you're doing: you don't. FFXI, you lose the ability to solo effectively around level 15. You often, depending on your job, have to wait close to 2-4 hours+ give or take 5 hours to get a party.

6) As is important in MMORPG's, items are crucial. I remember when I started playing PSO, if I wanted an item, I'd team up with people who were headed where I needed to go to get said item. And there wasn't much competition for items, seeing as in any single FFXI server, there is 2,000+ people playing; not to mention that about 5-10 people seeking the same item on the same monster that only pops about once every 3-7 hours. In PSO, there are only 3 other people than you in the area.

I think 'How good community is' for any MMORPG is how you stand in it, and how you act in the community. PSO has the friendliest community, so far. So far, I haven't seen a too terribly egotistical person on PSO. I'm sure they are there, but I have yet to run into one. But a lot of the problems that plague other MMORPG's don't affect PSO too much.

Fleece
Jun 15, 2006, 09:16 PM
PSO/PSU Arnt Online Role playing Games with more than a hundred people per server????

Did i Miss something????

Multiplayer - Check

Online - Check

Over Hundreds of people online at a time - Check

Role Playing game - Check

Hmmmm im thinking PSO/PSU Has always been an MMORPG and dont give me that crap that you only have small parties doing quests together in instanced areas making it Just Multiplayer online RPG. 'They' labelled Guild Wars an MMO and it does the same thing.

Massive is an Opinion And as a side note to someone i was arguing with last week - WoW is turn based (your a naive fool if you think its real time).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fleece on 2006-06-15 19:17 ]</font>

daddy_zach
Jun 16, 2006, 04:30 PM
Wait a minute isnt PSU a MMORPG? last tiem i checked it was. lol

Kyuu
Jun 16, 2006, 07:22 PM
Seriously "daddy_zach," read the thread before making comments. The whole issue of whether or not PSU is an MMORPG has been discussed and debated, as well as how it compares to other MMORPGs.

daddy_zach
Jun 16, 2006, 07:29 PM
And if you havent noticed PSU rocks so there. lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

cp99
Jun 16, 2006, 07:31 PM
That has nothing to do with anything. Try posting something constructive

PhotonCat
Jun 16, 2006, 07:57 PM

WoW, what kinda planet did you play WoW with?

WoW has the most UNmature players I have ever seen on an online game.

Roken
Jun 16, 2006, 08:08 PM
When I played PSO ( for DC ), it wasnt online( couldnt get a connection at that time for DC ), but from what I have played, it did seem to play better than some of the MMO's out there.

1. You where able to fight on your own and level without the need of a party. It did get somewhat hectic sometimes, but as long as you knew what you were doing, you could get the job done. The missions could be done solo as well, and seriously didnt need someone else to help out, even if it was an NPC.

2. The customization to not only change the face and/or hair color was great. You could change your costume ( the color of it ) and also change your height, and body size. When I bought FFXI, I believed that the customization would be huge. There have been a bunch of MMO's out already, and I believed FFXI would have great character designs and customization. In truth, the character models were designed well, however the actual customization was horrible. You could only change your hair color between two types, choose your face, and that was it ( outside of changing your gender or race ). You couldnt change your starting gear, or the color of it. Couldnt change body size ( however you could change the height of the character ). The hair color and designs were limited, because each face could only have the hairstyle implemented to you.

3. The fact that jobs dont seem to matter when taking on a certain mission or making parties. In FFXI and some other MMO's you need certain jobs in order to make a party successful.. such as a tank, healer, puller, nuker, and extra damage dealers. In PSO, you can tackle a situation with a few hunters, and one force, or all force and one hunter or ranger. Of course the difficulty will be higher or lower depending on which jobs will go, however its not impossible with any job set. You dont NEED to have the 'perfect' party set up in order to complete a mission or level.

4. NPC shops. of course you can buy items off other players, but at any time, a player can buy items and weapons off an NPC or get it off a mission, instead of needing to buy it from an AH, where the prcies can get outrageous with inflation and such.

These are the reasons I feel PSU will be greater than some MMO's out there, however all we can do now is wait and see.

phunk
Jun 17, 2006, 12:34 AM
WoW is noted to have one of the most immature playerbases out there, mostly because of the ease of the game when compared to other MMOs. I suppose thats the reason people think of it as a child's MMO.

Saner
Jun 17, 2006, 11:03 AM
I can tolerate immaturity.

what I won't tolerate is a game that's 5x more work than fun.

WoW is more merciful than FF11 but I still don't like either of them.

phunk
Jun 17, 2006, 02:03 PM
On 2006-06-17 09:03, Saner wrote:
I can tolerate immaturity.

what I won't tolerate is a game that's 5x more work than fun.

WoW is more merciful than FF11 but I still don't like either of them.

I agree completely, I suppose it all depends on how much time you're willing to put into either game. Endgame on FFXI (Level 65+) is when you begin to see where all that time and fustration spent went. Simply put, thats when the game begins to get fun.

I can't say much for WoW, I quit after reaching level 34 (didn't take too long) but I have heard there's not much to do at the end.

I suppose thats why I'm excited to play Online for PSU. If its anything like PSO's previous installments, it'll be able to still keep those rewards for casual and hardcore players while having a large funfactor.

DraginHikari
Jun 17, 2006, 03:45 PM
On 2006-06-16 17:57, PhotonCat wrote:

WoW, what kinda planet did you play WoW with?

WoW has the most UNmature players I have ever seen on an online game.

That's how online games work in some sense More popular and/or populated = more immature possiblity.

TheyCallMeJoe
Jun 17, 2006, 04:30 PM
My 2 Meseta:

1.) PSO/U's community = pwns Wow. WoW is the more "popular" game, because more people know about it. Therefore, more people play it, and there is sadly a greater population of jerks within the game. Now let's take a look at PSO/U, or maybe even PSOW. Have you met any jerks in these forums? Some people you might not agree with, but they're not just complete dicks for no apparent reason. That's what I expect to see in PSU.

2.) Everyone keeps comparing everything to Wow, so I think I need to throw another MMORPG into the mix. I played Matrix Online for about a year, and honestly, exploring lost its appeal. The city didn't need to be soooo big, because running for miles got very tiresome.

3. ) MMORPGs = your 2nd life. And honestly I don't have enough time right now to make them my 2nd life. In MMOPRGs you have to be active 24/7 to really make a dent in your character or to fully experience the community life. I sincerely doubt this will be the case with PSU. Or at least I hope not.

Saner
Jun 17, 2006, 06:00 PM
you know what I really really hate the common mmorpgs? auction houses!!!

Never have a seen a feature so easily corrupted by people that heartlessly exploit, to make themselves richer and other people poorer.

The whole thing in FF11 is going too far. Yes it made the whole point of the guilds meaningful with supply and demand, but it was infuriating having the money to get something you want, but you don't find it at the AH in any of the cities at all!!! and if you did find it, it would be overpriced.

The whole mathematics of Auction Houses is too fragile that prices may unfairly rise or drop and with just the need to buy, or sell something, you just can't trust the AH anymore.

I rather just let the NPCs run the market and have infinite supplies for everything except rares, and at reasonable prices.

This way, if people want to sell something, they would either have to sell it for equal or less price than they payed for,
otherwise people might as well buy from the store directly, instead of paying more than what the item is really worth.

and in games like that the case is worse, because you NEED such and such equipment/items, you NEED money. and with the poor combat system you can't even barely survive and progress without it.

THE OTHER THING is the time wasted, WAITING for your items to sell. Sure you could do other things in the meantime, but what if you NEEDED/WANTED the money NOW?!!!?!?! it's ridiculous!!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif

and if you sell it to an NPC they give you a few nickels. yeah you could do business in person but other than that, it's either that or AH, with NPCs as the last resort, whereas it should've been the other way around, just like in the classic RPGs where NPC owned shops are used to buy and sell stuff fairly. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/ducky.gif

JAR
Jun 17, 2006, 07:14 PM
Saner I totally disagree with you, I think auction houses like the Ogrimmar one in WoW was a wonderful way to make $$$ and buy rares that you just haven't had the great luck of finding. I'd much rather be griding for extra meseta to buy a rare that would take four or five times longer to attain at random. And as far as waiting for your auctions to sell, well I mean that's something you take into account, if you need the money you sell whatever to the NPC at a lousy rate and grind the rest.

Dahilia
Jun 18, 2006, 02:05 PM
I agree with you a lot. Especially the attitude on WoW. That was some truly concentrated greed going on on those servers, especially after the release of Honor. Anyway...

2) MY EFFORTS GET REWARDED: On pso/u . everyone can achieve the same ,of course , those who play more amount of time will get it faster , but everyone will eventually get to their goals.
(Unlike most mmorpgs where if you are not in a 1337 uber group , you get stucked when you reach max lv)

3) I DEPEND ONLY ON MYSELF ( most of time ): Even if , of course , to party makes things easier and more fun, i do not depend of 40 more guys in my raid to be able to achieve my goals .
I depend only on myself. if my friends / guildmates are off , i can continue playing and getting where i want.
And if , simply , im a lonely guy , who enjoys playing alone , and just being in lobbys when want to meet other ppl , i can too ( not that i am)

4) COMMUNITY : The community of pso/u is far more enjoyable and mature than most of the mmorpgs community.

These all remind me of the term "being alone together." It's something I like on an mmorpg. You get the benifit of soloing, yet still being able to do things to support the community without actually committing to a guild (or even partying, in some instances). I like that PSO had that option. While there were perks to being in a team, it wasn't necessary you had to go and join one. Team vs. Solo still wasn't as unbalanced as most MMO's Guild vs. Solo.