PDA

View Full Version : Offline multiplayer question

Airas
Jun 16, 2006, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure if this has been covered before, and i'm still alittle in the dark about the offline play.

Will you be able to play multiplayer offline, a la PSO 1 & 2 on the Gamecube and X-Box?
Like, me and a friend playing cooperatively split-screen offline?

Thanks in advance http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Ether
Jun 16, 2006, 12:36 AM
All signs point to no

Ryoten
Jun 16, 2006, 10:41 AM
Hopefully they will add it to the final version of the game. I wouldn't mind playing with some of my offline friends again.

daddy_zach
Jun 16, 2006, 04:46 PM
Duh, the PS2 version will totaly support offline mode. Why wouldent it?

cp99
Jun 16, 2006, 05:03 PM
Theres the Offline Story, and then the online PSO type gameplay. Thats it, theres no "Offline-Mulitplayer" at all, ever, it will never be added.

daddy_zach
Jun 16, 2006, 05:25 PM
Sure there will be. they had it on the GC if they dident add it on PSU they would technicaly be lowering the game instead of making it better

-Crokar-
Jun 16, 2006, 05:31 PM
they wont put it in there being greedy trying to get as many people to spend as much money as possible on this game. thats the way businesses work these days

cp99
Jun 16, 2006, 05:33 PM
On 2006-06-16 15:25, daddy_zach wrote:
Sure there will be. they had it on the GC if they dident add it on PSU they would technicaly be lowering the game instead of making it better

How I ask? How, multiplayer accounts are kept on the server side, not the console side like in PSO, it has already been said, many times, it will not now, or ever be added. In PSO it only had multiplayer, in PSU it has offline story, and online ONLY multiplayer. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

tank1
Jun 16, 2006, 05:36 PM
Also the offline multiplayer was only added for GC PSO because nintendo still wasnt sure about going online.

daddy_zach
Jun 16, 2006, 05:52 PM
On 2006-06-16 15:33, cp99 wrote:

On 2006-06-16 15:25, daddy_zach wrote:

How I ask? How, multiplayer accounts are kept on the server side, not the console side like in PSO, it has already been said, many times, it will not now, or ever be added. In PSO it only had multiplayer, in PSU it has offline story, and online ONLY multiplayer. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

if you can show me proof of where it said it will never be added let me know.

cp99
Jun 16, 2006, 05:56 PM
"PSOW: Unlike PSO, Phantasy Star Universe is going to have a large, story-driven offline RPG component that is separate from the massive online component. Is this your way of providing the best of both worlds to fans of the original Phantasy Star RPG series, as well as fans of the more recent Phantasy Star Online series?

Takao Miyoshi: Yes. The simple answer is yes"

and

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2368#Offline

"2.2: So erm, is it like PSO's offline mode?
A: Not really. While PSO's offline mode was essentially the online multiplayer mode without team-mates, PSU features an in-depth story, forcing you to play a central character who slowly unravels the mysteries of the Graal system, encountering, and teaming with, a host of other adventurers. This leads you on a (pre-determined) line of events, much like your conventional single-player RPG. It is not known if you will be able to accept outside quests or missions in the offline game, but it is extremely doubtful. The core battle system and gameplay mechanics however, are the same in both 'versions'."

Besides, like I said, if multiplayer accounts are ON THE SERVER, how can they be used for OFFLINE mulitplayer?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cp99 on 2006-06-16 15:58 ]</font>

daddy_zach
Jun 16, 2006, 05:58 PM
What about the extra mode? i can see a future 2 player addition to that.

cp99
Jun 16, 2006, 05:59 PM
On 2006-06-16 15:58, daddy_zach wrote:
What about the extra mode? i can see a future 2 player addition to that.

Possibly, But I wouldnt bet on it.

Saner
Jun 17, 2006, 04:52 PM
Xbox360 version is more likely to get offline multiplayer in Extra mode.

but as things are they might not include offline multiplayer until the next version/sequel (like they did for Episode 1+2 for GC)

kassy
Jun 17, 2006, 07:51 PM
If it isn't already on the disk, you can be sure they can't and won't be "adding" something as integral as "offline multiplayer" later.

And why they’d “lock” a feature such as offline multiplayer away on the disk to be released at a later point just wouldn’t make sense to me.

theShoal
Jun 19, 2006, 03:01 PM
I agree with Kassy. Usually things that are locked away on disks have been discarded ideas, or were used for testing during development. Adding multiplayer to Extra mode would be possible for the 360 version, but i doubt that.

yoshiyoshi
Jun 19, 2006, 09:22 PM
That's insane. My 3 friends and I spent countless late-night hours playing PSO, we never even stepped into the online mode and I am on level 71 on Ultimate. Why take out that part of the game? Now only rich people will be able to play the online mode, if it still costs an XBL subscription in addition to a $84 per year hunter's license.

Saner
Jun 19, 2006, 09:29 PM
things have changed. a free Silver Account would still work with PSU. you are paying Sega for their servers, not Microsoft.

it looks like it will work the same way X360 handles FF11. you don't need a Gold account to play online.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jun 20, 2006, 01:02 AM
On 2006-06-19 19:22, yoshiyoshi wrote:
That's insane. My 3 friends and I spent countless late-night hours playing PSO, we never even stepped into the online mode and I am on level 71 on Ultimate. Why take out that part of the game? Now only rich people will be able to play the online mode, if it still costs an XBL subscription in addition to a $84 per year hunter's license.

You can still play with your friends, you'll just have to do it online. It's not that expensive at all, really, and if you're worried about XBL fees, there's always the PC and PS2 versions...

And it is possible that extra mode will have a sort of offline-multiplayer, but I doubt it. Even if it did, I'm 100% certain you wouldn't be able to use your online character in it (thank God).

Saison
Jun 20, 2006, 09:14 AM
I think compared to other online games, this one will be relatively cheaper and multiplayer got old fast for me. Besides, playing online will pressure you to actually meet and interact with other people. We all know how daunting that is irl >.> Just don't use it as a dating service. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

JAR
Jun 20, 2006, 11:12 PM
I've heard of people setting up WoW servers on computers so that you could play local or LAN style, so you get to play without paying blizzard, the only drawbacks being that your friends playing are the only player populace and you can't receive updates like you would on the blizzard server. That being said the same will eventually happen for the PSU game, I'm not endorsing the act of setting up a rogue server I'm just saying that the possibilty of mock online multiplayer is an eventual alternative to regular offline multiplayer.

Buriningwolf
Jun 20, 2006, 11:14 PM
I hardly doubt it sorry.

JAR
Jun 20, 2006, 11:18 PM
No need to be sorry, but it has happened with other online games and given enough time it will happen with this game too.

hypersaxon
Jun 21, 2006, 12:06 AM
Yeah, I believe people were able to do that with the original PSO if I'm not mistaken. If there's a will, there's a way.

Pheromone
Jun 21, 2006, 01:02 PM
its also been done for PSOBB... but I won't say where and whom... I never supported it and I pay for my BB

Fleece
Jun 21, 2006, 08:03 PM
It been done for PSO GC too, Its perfectly legal too, They didnt steal any code and wrote the software themselves. If you do that its still legal and those PSOBB servers your referring too use the same code works for but they arnt releasing it until support for the game from sega drops.

Jesken
Jun 22, 2006, 07:18 AM
man this sucks my parents wont let me play online cause they are afraid of putting their credit card number on the site but i keep on saying "thousands... millions of people have done it before and if it was a scam we woulda heard about it by now"