PDA

View Full Version : Do we have to have a connection to play offline mode?

SoshiStrife23
Jun 16, 2006, 05:48 PM
I read some of the posts here, and they say that you need a connection to playy offline, also do we have to pay too? This is for the ps2 version, and I'm worried. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Tycho
Jun 16, 2006, 06:27 PM
Nah, as for the PS2 version that's doubtful.

daddy_zach
Jun 16, 2006, 06:27 PM
It will most likely be just like the GC version when it comes to offline play and pay.

cp99
Jun 16, 2006, 06:28 PM
It would be stupid to force having a net connection for the PS2, this most likly adhears only to the PC version.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cp99 on 2006-06-16 16:30 ]</font>

daddy_zach
Jun 16, 2006, 06:29 PM
You will have to pay a fee to play online, just like the GC version. You wont have to pay for playin the offline portion you wont even need a connection to play offline.

SoshiStrife23
Jun 16, 2006, 07:31 PM
Great, some of these posts are confusing me. But thanks for clearing it up!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

hypersaxon
Jun 16, 2006, 09:07 PM
The PC version of the game WILL require you to connect to the internet in order to play single player, as well as online multiplayer.

As far as PS2/360, hasn't been announced yet.

JAR
Jun 17, 2006, 09:59 AM
So you're telling me that when I finally decide to stop playing PSU online and unsubscribe my hunter's license I won't be able to play offline extra mode without going online?!?

Lord_DS
Jun 17, 2006, 10:03 AM
On 2006-06-17 07:59, JAR wrote:
So you're telling me that when I finally decide to stop playing PSU online and unsubscribe my hunter's license I won't be able to play offline extra mode without going online?!?

Well that IS the question. Will we also need a HL in order to play the story & extra modes on PC? That's something we don't know yet ... But there is good chances there won't need a HL I think.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lord_DS on 2006-06-17 08:17 ]</font>

daddy_zach
Jun 17, 2006, 10:03 AM
On 2006-06-16 19:07, hypersaxon wrote:
The PC version of the game WILL require you to connect to the internet in order to play single player, as well as online multiplayer.

That isnt true and most likly wont be. Befor you say or know anything for sure you need to add some proof.

Ash1ey
Jun 17, 2006, 10:20 AM
On 2006-06-17 08:03, daddy_zach wrote:

That isnt true and most likly wont be. Befor you say or know anything for sure you need to add some proof.

Its in older news headlines on this very site

Here; http://www.pso-world.com/article.php?sid=1479

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve II on 2006-06-17 08:21 ]</font>

Pheromone
Jun 17, 2006, 10:47 AM
On 2006-06-17 08:20, Steve II wrote:

Its in older news headlines on this very site

Here; http://www.pso-world.com/article.php?sid=1479

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve II on 2006-06-17 08:21 ]</font>

loli... princes... lumia.... eurgh.. but still, good going on proving that person wrong... loli

Saner
Jun 17, 2006, 10:52 AM

well that would really suck for PC gamers that don't have internet or family problems using the connection when they want to.

but ya if they force this requirement on console gamers, especially PS2, they will be shooting themselves in the foot convincing a majority of PS2 and Xbox360 game consumers to not get the game.

JAR
Jun 17, 2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks Steve II the article pretty much answers my question, I can only hope that someone makes a program that can trick the game into thinking that the computer is online in order to play offline WTF?!?

kassy
Jun 17, 2006, 08:01 PM
Seems to me it's for piracy reasons more than anything else, looks like Sega took notes from valve's Steam.

Maybe PSU offline player will have to register their copy online, and then log on anytime they want to be offline, lol, who knows? Official details about it are still really far few and far between, all we can do atm is speculate, I'm sure something more in depth will be announced closer to release, and if not, I guess we'll find out just exactly how it works when the JP version is released.

It won't affect me and my connection, but I can imagine there's a lot of player's who need to share their internet connection with people they live with which this will affect.

hypersaxon
Jun 17, 2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah, it's a small price to pay in order to (hopefully) keep hackers from ruining the game. Doesn't affect me though, I have Road Runner http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I think they should make the game on two discs, one of them for offline and the other for online. That way, people who want to play offline won't get screwed over, and Sonic Team can implement their online-always stuff just for the online content. I don't think that would be too unreasonable.

PhotonCat
Jun 18, 2006, 12:18 AM
I really don't get why they would make it a PC requirement only. Players on the PS2 and Xbox360 are going to be able to hack/cheat just as much as the PC. The PC isn't some "hack haven" as some people like to make it out to be. There are Game sharks/Action replays/etc for the consoles, not to mention various other hacks with the consoles, especially with the Xbox.

And how would hacking/cheating offline make a difference? You cannot bring your offline character online. If they want to prevent us from playing around offline with cheats they really got some nerve, as it doesn't effect online and they shouldn't care.

Kyuu
Jun 18, 2006, 01:27 AM
Actually, they should and do care about messing around with cheats offline. The game's code is copyrighted material that they worked on, and messing with it is, if not illegal, certainly not something that most people would want done with their program. They didn't create it to be a playground for bored hackers, they made it to be played in the proper way. Of course, it's not likely they'll be able to stop it no matter what they do, but that certainly doesn't make them at fault for trying.

Authenticate
Jun 18, 2006, 02:48 AM
The only reason I can think of to stop offline cheating is to limit manipulation of code so it's harder to experiment and find codes that may have some effect on the servers. Otherwise, I don't really give a crap if someone cheats through offline mode. They just sucked all the fun out of a game they payed $50 for.

physic
Jun 18, 2006, 03:00 AM
they arent worried about hackers, they are worried about piracy, having an online connection would most likely enable them to make piracy very difficult

Fleece
Jun 18, 2006, 06:40 AM
I blame GameGaurd, Gamegaurd NEEDS to be connected to the internet and thats the anti hack software sega chose.

mechatra
Jun 18, 2006, 08:20 AM
Lol Fleece I was just literally about to say that.

PSU runs off gameguard for it's security. It's requirement to be constantly connected online is probably the reason for PSU's required connection.

Saner
Jun 18, 2006, 10:00 AM
this is ridiculous. This won't completely stop cheaters. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/ducky.gif

wait and see, they'll find a way around it and the poor offline-only players will suffer because of the extra steps taken for more security but in the long run it's probably gonna be all in vain.

well as long as the PS2 version doesnt require online connection/account to play offline, then they won't lose as many customers. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/sprite.gif

physic
Jun 18, 2006, 01:41 PM
they dont need to make teh game run gameguard for offline mode if they dont want to. Trust me, its an anti piracy thing.

Alisha
Jun 18, 2006, 02:35 PM
wich means the ps2 version will be able to play offline without being connected because of sonys DNAS technology.

Saner
Jun 21, 2006, 12:43 AM
oh right DNAS.