PDA

View Full Version : little question :P

Nakago
Jun 17, 2006, 06:01 PM
Does anyone know if the NA release will keep the JP sounds/voices for attacks/casting and such or an option to use it?

Saner
Jun 17, 2006, 06:02 PM
unknown. they might not change it.

but if they do, there might not be an option to choose.

Kers
Jun 17, 2006, 06:03 PM
Many are hoping they do have that option, but I haven't heard a yes/no.

Saner
Jun 17, 2006, 06:04 PM
it's doubtful really since the voice selection slider is integrated with the character creation system.

so a language selection would be pretty nonexistant.

it's a 50/50 chance they won't change the Japanese voices, since it's mostly just grunts anyways.

PhotonCat
Jun 17, 2006, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't mind if they gave the option of English and Japanese voices for your character, would add more variety.

But if they only have one or the other, I rather they keep the JP voices because usually English dub grunts come out sounding... so horrible and annoying and usually stereotypical.

I really don't want my character saying "EAT THIS!" in English over and over everytime I swing my weapon.... -_-;

Saner
Jun 17, 2006, 06:23 PM
On 2006-06-17 16:19, PhotonCat wrote:
I wouldn't mind if they gave the option of English and Japanese voices for your character, would add more variety.

But if they only have one or the other, I rather they keep the JP voices because usually English dub grunts come out sounding... so horrible and annoying and usually stereotypical.

I really don't want my character saying "EAT THIS!" in English over and over everytime I swing my weapon.... -_-;

or Michaelangelo's "Eat FEET!" from TMNT. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

even the Japanese version will have its annoying repetitions. look at the beta vids, it was insane hearing them yell "duh!" every other attack. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

personally I felt voices for our created characters was a bad idea to begin with. but it's not a problem.

Disasteroid
Jun 17, 2006, 07:17 PM
As long as I can make a cast that sounds like Soundwave, I don't think I'll care.

SirenV
Jun 17, 2006, 09:08 PM
On 2006-06-17 16:19, PhotonCat wrote:

XD! Hehe, I wouldn't want that either. "How about some of this?", "Take THAT" XD "You don't stand a chance", "You're TOAST!". Personally, I had this question too... see, I want to make a character, and I want her to have that like.. extremely haughty, rich laugh that they have in the Japanese version. I'm worried that the English, if they change it, won't have it.

The Japanese voices are extremely predictable as well... like the English but in their own way. That doesn't mean they're not good though. The voices are so "Japanese" though that something tells me they'll change them. But I too hope for a choice. And although at times they tend to be "better" than the English, I'm sure there'd be enough tiny Newearls running around with unrealistically high voices screaming "Ei! Yah! Toh!" to drive me to mild insanity or earbleed. XD... I mean.. that one voice they have is already so high to begin with.

Zeig123
Jun 17, 2006, 09:26 PM
If they do start doin that all I have to say is the volume button

Dre_o
Jun 17, 2006, 09:27 PM
Personally, I'd like to hear the attacking voices to be a little like Tales of Symphonia, they happen, but only about every 3rd attack. I also like the way they announce the attack (despite how unrealistic it is).

But that's my 2 cents

YohYoh
Jun 17, 2006, 10:01 PM
On 2006-06-17 19:27, Dre_o wrote:
Personally, I'd like to hear the attacking voices to be a little like Tales of Symphonia, they happen, but only about every 3rd attack. I also like the way they announce the attack (despite how unrealistic it is).

But that's my 2 cents

Thats a good idea

Kyuu
Jun 18, 2006, 01:32 AM
I guess I'm the only one, but I like the fact that they added the grunts and yells. After all, how many people swing weapons and throw punches and the like completely noiselessly? Watch a martial arts competition, and you'll hear all sorts of grunts, yells, and the like. Adds a bit more flavor to the combat as well, I think, rather than just having the repititious "woosh" and "voom" of the weapons and the whipcrack sounds when the opponents get struck.

Of course, I can see how it might get tiresome after a while, but unless you're really neurotic, you'll learn to tune it out. After all, how conscious are you really of all the weapon noises that happen while you play PSO? It's much the same.

DraginHikari
Jun 18, 2006, 06:05 AM
Honsetly I don't see what the big deal is mostly what I saw on the beta was mostly grunts and small noises for attacking and such no voices really. Expect for death, nano-blasts, and SUVs which if they do English voice shouldn't be too much different what is said in JPN I think anyway.

Fleece
Jun 18, 2006, 06:20 AM
I was gonna quote some anime.........couldnt be bothered

Saner
Jun 18, 2006, 08:43 PM
actually making so much noise while attacking would realistically make you run out of breath faster. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ash1ey
Jun 18, 2006, 08:48 PM
I just hope theres an option to turn it off completely http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sindustries
Jun 18, 2006, 08:56 PM
bruce lee sound effects. yes, that would perform well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sindustries on 2006-06-18 19:06 ]</font>

Kyuu
Jun 18, 2006, 11:18 PM
On 2006-06-18 18:43, Saner wrote:
actually making so much noise while attacking would realistically make you run out of breath faster. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

*eye roll*

TheStoicOne
Jun 18, 2006, 11:30 PM
On 2006-06-17 16:04, Saner wrote:
it's doubtful really since the voice selection slider is integrated with the character creation system.

so a language selection would be pretty nonexistant.

it's a 50/50 chance they won't change the Japanese voices, since it's mostly just grunts anyways.

Yeah, but japanese grunts are way better sounding than English grunts IMO! I'd rather guess at what my character is saying, than hearing some lame catch frase that is two years old.

SirenV
Jun 18, 2006, 11:43 PM
On 2006-06-18 21:42, SirenV wrote:
[quote]

Well, I suppose. But Yelling/breathing is very important during battle - it can give you more force and energy to your technique as well as intimidate your opponent, among other things. So I suppose as trained fighters it'd be realistic in that regard, that they'd yell.

JAR
Jun 21, 2006, 09:04 PM
On 2006-06-18 21:43, SirenV wrote:

On 2006-06-18 21:42, SirenV wrote:
[quote]

Well, I suppose. But Yelling/breathing is very important during battle - it can give you more force and energy to your technique as well as intimidate your opponent, among other things. So I suppose as trained fighters it'd be realistic in that regard, that they'd yell.

It really depends on how you yell, when I took kendo a few years back, our sensei emphasized the development of our kiai yells in order to clear our minds and help focus our attacks. If you scream with every breath you let out it isn't fatiguing.

Moo2u
Jun 22, 2006, 04:29 PM
On 2006-06-17 17:17, Disasteroid wrote:
As long as I can make a cast that sounds like Soundwave, I don't think I'll care.

Well said.

I love the fact there voice is actually part of custimizing yoru character. I think that's a first, if I'm not mistaken.

Ansatsu
Jun 23, 2006, 04:33 PM
They did it in Monster Hunter.

UltimateCarl
Jun 23, 2006, 05:27 PM
I'm fine with it as long as it's not cheesy like some of you said... If there's any voice that spouts out pure crap like, "IT'S OVER!" constantly, I will never party with anyone with that voice. XD But, yeah, I'm sure we'll lose some of the... Well, "Japanese"-ness when they port it. Like that evil laugh for the females or whatever. Chances are they'll handle that quite differently.

But, anyhow, I like the voice thing. I think it's a cool idea no matter how they handle it. Chances are they'll rerecord the voices in English and there wont be a Japanese option. I guess it's possible that you'll be able to set the Single Player story mode to Japanese, but that's prolly it if they have even that much.

Kyuu
Jun 24, 2006, 01:03 AM
On 2006-06-22 14:29, Moo2u wrote:

I love the fact there voice is actually part of custimizing yoru character. I think that's a first, if I'm not mistaken.

Aye, I concur. I just very much hope the English ones aren't unbearable, or at least that we have the option of the original Japanese voices. Pretty please, ST? ;.;