PDA

View Full Version : Trap Question

Dre_o
Jun 18, 2006, 09:58 PM
Yes I don't play Casts. No I won't explain my reasons. But I do have a question for people of the Beta

1)Could Casts use traps in the Beta?
2)If so, did you have to buy EVERY SINGLE TRAP?

Any other commentary would be appreciated.

Kyuu
Jun 18, 2006, 11:14 PM
I believe traps are now items that everyone can use, regardless of race. They can also be fed to your PM. o_o

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Kimil
Jun 18, 2006, 11:38 PM
Okay... so now, with casts being able to cast, and any race being able to be any class, the only REAL difference between the races is stats, SUV and NB =_=

Fleece
Jun 19, 2006, 08:59 AM
*Feeds PM Explosion trap*
*BOOOM!!!!*

WTF!!!!111!!

Ryna
Jun 19, 2006, 11:12 AM
On 2006-06-18 19:58, Dre_o wrote:
Yes I don't play Casts. No I won't explain my reasons. But I do have a question for people of the Beta

1)Could Casts use traps in the Beta?
2)If so, did you have to buy EVERY SINGLE TRAP?

Any other commentary would be appreciated.

In PSU, you buy traps from the items shop. I believe every class can use them now. There are a wide variety of traps including confusion, damage, freeze, virus, and many more. I never got around to testing them because they were relatively expensive for a one-time use item.

DarthTyranus
Jun 19, 2006, 06:39 PM
Virus Trap? I wonder how those work.

Moo2u
Jun 19, 2006, 06:42 PM
Are androids still the only ones who can see/detect set traps? Or has that changed as well?

DarthTyranus
Jun 19, 2006, 06:47 PM
Good question, usually its Android's only who can detect traps. Maybe the other races use a little tracking device or something.

Ryna
Jun 19, 2006, 07:36 PM
On 2006-06-19 16:42, Moo2u wrote:
Are androids still the only ones who can see/detect set traps? Or has that changed as well?

At this point, we don't know. As far as I know, there were no "floating traps" in closed beta beyond the ones that you set yourself.

Saner
Jun 19, 2006, 09:12 PM
hey do Casts slowly regenerate HP like before?

I know they are no longer immune to poison.

Saner
Jun 19, 2006, 09:14 PM
On 2006-06-18 21:38, Kimil wrote:
Okay... so now, with casts being able to cast, and any race being able to be any class, the only REAL difference between the races is stats, SUV and NB =_=

isn't that enough? besides it's not like people can be more than one class at a time.

so its pretty balanced.

Ryna
Jun 19, 2006, 09:28 PM
On 2006-06-19 19:12, Saner wrote:
do Casts slowly regenerate HP like before?

Casts do not slowly regenerate HP like before. PSO and PSU casts have almost nothing in common.

Saner
Jun 19, 2006, 09:31 PM
yup. they sure are improved in many ways this time. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Moo2u
Jun 19, 2006, 11:42 PM
How is taking away a bunch of cool things like regenerating hp and not being immune to poison an improvment? Maybe I don't really know the states yet, but it seems they're taking away some cool things that made cast so unique.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 20, 2006, 03:57 AM
Not unique but realisticfor most robots. A cast is technically a sentient being so it should be able to use magic. HP regenerate made no real sense... but it helped. The being immune was very useful but was also unfair.

Ryna
Jun 20, 2006, 05:27 AM
On 2006-06-19 21:42, Moo2u wrote:
How is taking away a bunch of cool things like regenerating hp and not being immune to poison an improvment? Maybe I don't really know the states yet, but it seems they're taking away some cool things that made cast so unique.

When it comes to race characteristics, it is best to think of PSU as a totally new game. Almost all of the race-specific attributes have been thrown out from PSO.

Dre_o
Jun 20, 2006, 01:33 PM
I also have one thing to add about HP regen being thrown out:

This makes it FAR more plausible for Casts to be immune to poison/paralysis/etc. Have you ever though how much ENERGY it would take for a Cast to regenerate itself? If that held true, every cast would have a nuclear reactor inside itself! Still, If casts could regen themselves without the use of nano-machines, they would HAVE to be partially biological, thus making them NOT immune.

....or I'm just getting a little too technical....

Kyuu
Jun 20, 2006, 02:19 PM
On 2006-06-20 11:33, Dre_o wrote:
I also have one thing to add about HP regen being thrown out:

This makes it FAR more plausible for Casts to be immune to poison/paralysis/etc. Have you ever though how much ENERGY it would take for a Cast to regenerate itself? If that held true, every cast would have a nuclear reactor inside itself! Still, If casts could regen themselves without the use of nano-machines, they would HAVE to be partially biological, thus making them NOT immune.

....or I'm just getting a little too technical....

One word: protoculture. =)

OdinTyler
Jun 20, 2006, 02:47 PM
One word: cyborg.

To now be prone to status affects, there has to be some living matter within. If that's the case, they're not completely machines & thus, cannot be considered androids. Thus, they are cyborgs.

Leave it to Sega to screw this up again. In PSIII they were called cyborgs in the US & androids in JP (they could be poisoned in that game too). If anything, PSU is more like PSIII's system. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing. Just wish they'd clarify the definitions of android & cyborg...or do I have to break out the Asimov books to show Sega?

Kyuu
Jun 21, 2006, 03:12 AM
Does Sega really need to worry about the technical definitions of cyborg and android? =P

Although that is an interesting question, if the casts in PSU contain living tissue, or perhaps are even people who either chose to be heavily mechanized or perhaps got seriously injured and had to do it to survive. Hm...

Edit: And actually, the only status effect that wouldn't make sense would be poison. Every other status effect could be easily explained. And even poison... perhaps it's a corrosive acid? >.>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-06-21 01:14 ]</font>

Authenticate
Jun 21, 2006, 06:43 AM
Now that you mention it, corrosive acid makes sense. Either way, I don't really care why it hurts casts, it just does. So obviously it's something that can harm casts as well as sqweeshies.

Saner
Jun 21, 2006, 06:55 AM
On 2006-06-20 12:47, OdinTyler wrote:

To now be prone to status affects, there has to be some living matter within. If that's the case, they're not completely machines & thus, cannot be considered androids. Thus, they are cyborgs.

Leave it to Sega to screw this up again. In PSIII they were called cyborgs in the US & androids in JP (they could be poisoned in that game too). If anything, PSU is more like PSIII's system. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing. Just wish they'd clarify the definitions of android & cyborg...or do I have to break out the Asimov books to show Sega?

YAY!! CYBORGS! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I felt a PSIII aura from these new casts ever since they are announced they are not immune to poison, and can't regenerate automatically. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyways Sega doesn't need to tell us they're cyborgs , the proof is already on the chalkboard.

Besides in-game I think Casts will still be referred to as Casts.

Saner
Jun 21, 2006, 07:06 AM
On 2006-06-21 01:12, Kyuu wrote:

Although that is an interesting question, if the casts in PSU contain living tissue, or perhaps are even people who either chose to be heavily mechanized or perhaps got seriously injured and had to do it to survive. Hm...
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-06-21 01:14 ]</font>

nope nope. They are a race engineered by Humans. they then expanded on their own.

You can't have a bunch of volunteers form an entirely new race as huge and powerful as the Cast population in the Graal system! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

well although maybe Casts can't breed, they might engineer themselves or maybe even in modern Graal days, Humans still manufacture Casts for various purposes. but Casts do have a will of their own. so they are treated as a independant race than merchanidise.

But they definitely are not simply humans with implanted machines. Okay maybe they are. Maybe not. NO WAIT! Ya the living tissue stuff. okay they are. But hmmmm. Newmans and Beasts are bioengineered Humans that bred into their own unique civilizations.

But Casts are far too advanced to be mere humans with implants. even with human tissue I still say they are most likely manufactured, even manufacture themselves. because even if female Casts would bear children, they wouldn't be children with implants. Cause that would be like a human, with implants, trying to give birth to a Toaster. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

so ya, I think it's like PSIII and The Terminator. Casts are not humans who become cyborgs, they are manufactured cyborgs, some with exterior human living tissue.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-06-21 05:06 ]</font>

Saner
Jun 21, 2006, 07:08 AM
but you know, it would be interesting if Casts in PSU are a mix of manufactured cyborgs, as well as humans modified into cyborgs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-06-21 05:09 ]</font>

Pure-chan
Jun 21, 2006, 11:23 AM
On 2006-06-20 12:47, OdinTyler wrote:

Assuming that casts are cyborgs may be jumping the gun a little. Technically, a cyborg is a human whose physiology is aided by machines. Unless there is a point in the storyline of PSU that suggests this; it may be better to assume that casts are machines, supplemented by some form of bio-mechanical tissue.

Edit: I just looked up "Android". Here's the definition: "An automaton that is created from biological materials and resembles a human. Also called humanoid."

If this definition is correct, then "android" would seem to be the correct term, as "cyborg" implies partially human. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-06-21 09:30 ]</font>

Pure-chan
Jun 21, 2006, 11:38 AM
...back on subject, is there a list posted anywhere that catalogues all of the traps available in PSU?

Also, I've heard that traps were expensive during beta. What was the cost per trap? Did anyone check the cap on how many you are able to hold?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-06-21 13:52 ]</font>

zandra117
Jun 21, 2006, 03:43 PM
This is how casts reproduce, Partner Machines are manufactured on planet Parum (the planet governed by casts) and shipped to the Guardians Colony. Every Guardian is issued a Partner Machine. The Guardian raises the partner machine untill it becomes a young Cast or Caseal. The Cast or Caseal is a servant of its Guardian untill it is released by its Guardian or its Guardian passes away. Then the Cast becomes a free Cast.

EspioKaos
Jun 21, 2006, 04:33 PM
On 2006-06-21 09:38, Pure-chan wrote:
...back on subject, is there a list posted anywhere that catalogues all of the traps available in PSU?

Also, I've heard that traps were expensive during beta. What was the cost per trap? Did anyone check the cap on how many you are able to hold?

I'll do a simple copy-paste from my translation notes to answer this.

Damage Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Several traps can be set simultaneously.
Maximum Holding Capacity: 30
50 Meseta

Burn Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds combustion status effect.
100 Meseta

Freeze Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds freezing status effect.
100 Meseta

Poison Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds poison status effect.
150 Meseta

Confuse Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds confusion status effect.
150 Meseta

Sleep Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds sleep status effect.
150 Meseta

Virus Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds infection status effect.
150 Meseta

Shock Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds electrocution status effect.
150 Meseta

Silence Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds silence status effect.
150 Meseta

Damage Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed.
Maximum Holding Capacity: 15
300 Meseta

Burn Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds combustion status effect.
500 Meseta

Freeze Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds freezing status effect.
500 Meseta

Poison Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds poison status effect.
650 Meseta

Confuse Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds confusion status effect.
650 Meseta

Sleep Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds sleep status effect.
650 Meseta

Virus Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds infection status effect.
650 Meseta

Shock Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds electrocution status effect.
650 Meseta

Silence Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds silence status effect.
650 Meseta

Dhylec
Jun 21, 2006, 05:45 PM
Hm.. interesting. PSU has more traps to play around with. Now there are at least 2 levels of control - automatic & timer. This should give the game a bit more depth in term of strategy/tactics. ;]

fronebullare
Jun 21, 2006, 07:00 PM
On 2006-06-19 19:12, Saner wrote:
hey do Casts slowly regenerate HP like before?

I know they are no longer immune to poison.

Immunity to poison was one of the reasons I played with cast, this sucks, I hope they didn't take everything away from the cast. *frinds out cast no longer restore thier own HP* No! They better be able to use techniques!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fronebullare on 2006-06-21 17:03 ]</font>

Uncle_bob
Jun 21, 2006, 09:10 PM
But what do you think the chances are that machine enemies won't be affected by poison/virus traps? ;o

EspioKaos
Jun 21, 2006, 10:51 PM
On 2006-06-21 17:00, fronebullare wrote:
Immunity to poison was one of the reasons I played with cast, this sucks, I hope they didn't take everything away from the cast. *frinds out cast no longer restore thier own HP* No! They better be able to use techniques!
As long as your cast has a force's license, he or she will be able to cast technics.

Fleece
Jun 22, 2006, 03:42 AM
A license to use 'The force'??

*Gets sued into hell by lucas*

Pure-chan
Jun 22, 2006, 01:33 PM
On 2006-06-21 14:33, EspioKaos wrote:

On 2006-06-21 09:38, Pure-chan wrote:

I'll do a simple copy-paste from my translation notes to answer this.

Damage Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Several traps can be set simultaneously.
50 Meseta

Burn Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds combustion status effect.
100 Meseta

Freeze Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds freezing status effect.
100 Meseta

Poison Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds poison status effect.
150 Meseta

Confuse Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds confusion status effect.
150 Meseta

Sleep Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds sleep status effect.
150 Meseta

Virus Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds infection status effect.
150 Meseta

Shock Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds electrocution status effect.
150 Meseta

Silence Trap
Automatically explodes several seconds after being set. Adds silence status effect.
150 Meseta

Damage Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed.
300 Meseta

Burn Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds combustion status effect.
500 Meseta

Freeze Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds freezing status effect.
500 Meseta

Poison Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds poison status effect.
650 Meseta

Confuse Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds confusion status effect.
650 Meseta

Sleep Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds sleep status effect.
650 Meseta

Virus Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds infection status effect.
650 Meseta

Shock Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds electrocution status effect.
650 Meseta

Silence Trap G
A trap that can be set on a timer to explode after being placed. Adds silence status effect.
650 Meseta

Wow, thanks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif that's an awful lot of traps! It's interesting that you can hold 30 on some of the more basic ones, but only 15 on others. I was a frequent trap user on GC and it's nice to see that they've expanded on the idea. I'm also excited to see that ST decided to share traps with phantasy star's ...squishier races. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

zandra117
Jun 22, 2006, 05:26 PM
O_o Virus trap: Infection?! I wonder what that does? *Imagines newman infected by D-Cells* Its dot hack all over again.

Saner
Jun 22, 2006, 09:08 PM
maybe Virus makes someone a a.i. controlled enemy and during that time they automatically attack their allies for a set period of time, while they can be damaged by players in this status as well.

or maybe they can't use PA's/techs while in that status.