PDA

View Full Version : Customizable Character Behavior / Animations

Sindustries
Jun 19, 2006, 10:45 PM
Do you call for individuality in a character's on-screen behavior?

Have you ever found repetative character / racial animations tedious to watch after a while?

Body language is a quintessential aspect of social play.

For the sake of individual expression I believe in taking aesthetics a bit further, reminsicing on the actual behavior and idiosyncratic foot taps and idle poses of a person.

For example, a sword can be drawn in several ways: Depending on the preference of the user, and how he wants his character portrayed in the world, it would be reasonable to provide the functionality of selecting a cowardly, shakey draw, or a brash and hasty brandishment of a sword.

TheyCallMeJoe
Jun 19, 2006, 10:58 PM
In Matrix Online you could set "moods", which would change your characters run, standing, jumping, etc. animations. It was actually quite nice. New moods could be unlocked with higher levels.

Maybe something like that here? Or are you talking about something different.

F-o-x
Jun 19, 2006, 11:03 PM
While I do like the idea (love it actually) I'd think that customization alongs those lines wouldn't be possible in this current generation. Well... actually its not so much that its not possible, so much as I don't see any way to implement custom emotes and actions for each and every character.

Unless of course it could come in the form of perhaps picking and choosing certain ways your character would react to certain things. Which of course would also be brilliant and add another level of depth to our characters.

-Klaus-
Jun 19, 2006, 11:04 PM
On 2006-06-19 20:58, TheyCallMeJoe wrote:
In Matrix Online you could set "moods", which would change your characters run, standing, jumping, etc. animations. It was actually quite nice. New moods could be unlocked with higher levels.

Maybe something like that here? Or are you talking about something different.

Agreed

Sindustries
Jun 19, 2006, 11:15 PM
I have made a fault, it is a rhetorical poll. Who is going to say they don't want to connect with their character more? Well lets ignore that since it cannot be changed now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sindustries on 2006-06-19 21:47 ]</font>

SirenV
Jun 19, 2006, 11:17 PM
Ahh! I was JUST thinking about this earlier. Yeah, I think it's an awesome idea! Even something as small as how a character stands at idle makes a statement, and would really add some more personality to the game.

Of course, it's not going to happen now, but it's still a good idea. That "Moods" thing sounds interesting too.

Sindustries
Jun 19, 2006, 11:24 PM
Well since it is an addition in visual content, it would have to be last on the drawing board.

Moo2u
Jun 19, 2006, 11:46 PM
I think the more you can custimize your character, the better. It makes each character you meet an individual, just like real like...but improved!

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Jun 20, 2006, 12:29 AM
I would love if you could do such a thing.... But it sounds like it would be hard for the programmers...

But its definitely something game designers need to look into

ANIMEniac
Jun 20, 2006, 12:36 AM
yea i always wanted the option to hold a handgun standard or like a RAmarl. it would be great with feild actions and emotes alike. well, not sure if it is already in there, but if not, there is always the hope of a patch ^_^

ColonD
Jun 20, 2006, 10:32 AM
Well, in PSO and in one of the videos of PSU it seemed like, there were different versions of dance. Thats a start, I'd hope sega would look into such things.
As well, different ways to stand would be cool. O.o

Authenticate
Jun 20, 2006, 11:16 AM
Why do people ask for silly crap like this?

Because they can? Good enough reason for me. Carry on.

chibiLegolas
Jun 20, 2006, 01:42 PM
What a wonderful idea!
It can be easily selectable like selecting the few defualt voices they have for your character.
It's a nice idea now, but a bit too late to include.
Hmm... maybe for ver.2 of PSU?

Kupi
Jun 20, 2006, 05:30 PM
Really, all it would amount to is another set of motion-caps for the characters. Think about it: ignoring for the moment the slight differences in cadence, all characters in PSO used weapons the same way. A FOmarl, HUnewearl, and RAmar swinging the same slicer worked the same way but looked different. Custom animations would just be giving the player more control over the process.

Which, properly executed, would be totally awesome, since it would add yet another dimension of customization at little additional cost, I would think.

Saner
Jun 20, 2006, 07:15 PM
well emotes are looking very well animated and natural.

as for the extra finer details of behaviour, it's asking for too much at this point. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

WrathofGOD
Jun 20, 2006, 08:11 PM
This kind of thing could be possible in the near future. "Next generation" animation techniques are currently being perfected, and it looks like there could be a large-scale shift from static, pre-made animations, to animations that are generated on the fly. I've seen some of these techniques in use and it looks very promising. It's only a matter of time after these techniques make the jump to the game world that someone makes a interface to provide the user the tools to modify the parameters of these generated animations to their liking.

PhotonCat
Jun 21, 2006, 12:49 PM
I would like more character individuality. I hate how in all the movies/screenshots I saw, every character stands, fights and emotes the same way.

Sega couldn't go the extra mile and give each race and gender their own way of doing things? I mean in PSO every character at least had their own stand/battle animations.

At least spice things up a little. Like in WoW, each race/gender has their own set of emotes, way of standing/walking and fighting/holding weapons. I don't see why Sega took the lazy way out(like SoE did in EQ2) and made it so generic in PSU.

ShinMaruku
Jun 21, 2006, 02:24 PM
I doubt that will ever come into this game. Sonic tema is too lazy.

Skye-Fox713
Jun 21, 2006, 04:38 PM
a little more connectivity with your avitar would be cool indeed

DraginHikari
Jun 21, 2006, 05:09 PM
On 2006-06-21 10:49, PhotonCat wrote:
I would like more character individuality. I hate how in all the movies/screenshots I saw, every character stands, fights and emotes the same way.

Sega couldn't go the extra mile and give each race and gender their own way of doing things? I mean in PSO every character at least had their own stand/battle animations.

At least spice things up a little. Like in WoW, each race/gender has their own set of emotes, way of standing/walking and fighting/holding weapons. I don't see why Sega took the lazy way out(like SoE did in EQ2) and made it so generic in PSU.

The only problem I see with this is the way they handled it in PSO for example where you had a battle animations and such that were down right horrid while others worked well ((Female saber animation compared to Male saber animation for example))

Neo_Strife
Jun 22, 2006, 11:49 AM
"I would like for them to make it more realistic as well, but wouldn't I be cool walking through towns and shopping areas with a sword strapped to your back with your hands in your pocket in a cool stance???" (I think so)