PDA

View Full Version : Quirks of racism and other various prejudices. Random Rant!

Hexadecimal
Jun 21, 2006, 02:49 AM
My school is a peculiar place in regards to racism, sexism, and other forms of prejudice that don't have isms. Unless homosexuality got an ism. Homoism? Anyway...

There was at one point threatened violence on behalf of a black student to a group of white students... someone reported it... Nothing at all was done.

Now this isn't some rant about how "Black people get away with everything" It's more of a... "Everyone else is far too paranoid."

The reason nothing was done was because of a fear of being viewed as racial. It was some pretty twisted threat too... Not like "I'll punch you!" it was more like "I'll love to watch the blood."

ANOTHER thing was this... It was the winter, I was looking out the window just kind of spacing out after school. I saw something black out of the corner of my eye. I jumped said "Oh god... I saw something black and..." And then all I got was "Ooooooo..." And I turned around and the purson in this big black coat was black. Someone ACTUALLY asked me if I was being racist. I said "I meant his coat... o_O" And everyone just shot me looks...

Racism is a huge problem in my area. That's obvious with the confederate flags tied to the back of pickup trucks >.>

Sexism is fun too. Girls get away with EVERYTHING. It's completely undeniable. True story... A teacher yelled at a kid in my class for doing..something... whispering. And he said "What about Lauren? She was practically yelling..." She sat there for a second, and then replied "Well she's a girl."

The amount of homophobia is alarming too. [I REMEMBERED! it has a phobia. not an ism. XD] Not at my lil' Catholic School oddly enough... What with the amount of false gay humor and stuff... (rubbing a leg, winking, etc) I find it odd to really find homophobic teens. There is one teen who is genuinely afraid of gays though... Like it TERRIFIES him. It makes me wonder if he had a bad experience...

But my mother admitted she'd abort her baby if there was a test to see if it was gay or not o_O; Aint that sweet? mother's in for a surprise...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hexadecimal on 2006-06-21 00:50 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Jun 21, 2006, 09:27 AM
...abort a homosexual baby...huh...want my honest opinion on that? Sure, why not. Your mom needs a really, really, really, reaaallllyy late abortion performed on herself. Thats fucked up beyond beleif that she said that.

Rainbowlemon
Jun 21, 2006, 10:44 AM
The simple fact is that there's no avoiding it. Wherever you go, there will always be accusations of racial/homophobic/whatever slurs, whether they were intended or not. What's worse, addressing the problem can be seen as a problem in itself, making the lives of the people who have to sort it all out all-the-more-difficult.

Life just seems to be a big game of cat and mouse. Except all sides have ways of fighting back. So more like...cat and cat. :|

InfinityXXX
Jun 21, 2006, 12:27 PM
Ah, don't sweat it. You weren't racist for saying, "I saw a black...". The people saying Oooh were dumb for thinking thats what you were talking about but the African American that asked you if your racist probably asked due to everybody saying oooh. (Making it seem like you were talking about him)

Miyamo
Jun 21, 2006, 04:38 PM
What I don't get is why alot of people hate Homosexuals. Not like they can help it. It's how they are born and how they have to live life. I saw on the news the other day that they were thinking about Banning gay bishops >.o (or something to that extent...) In all honesty, then banning of anything gay is unconstitutional. We should be able to live life how we want, without the government screwing things up. =/

Ma_Navu
Jun 21, 2006, 06:07 PM
You know, those who said that you were being racist are kind of oblivious to wording; you said, "I saw someTHING black." That's not racist, you just saw something that was void of color. However, if you said, "someONE," then it'd be a completely different story.

And dealing with the homophobia, it's everywhere. Hell, even I'm scared of 'em (Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with them. I just don't want them hitting on me. O__o I wish for my colon to stay in tact, thank you), but at least I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Homosexuality is merely a style of life, and I think it should NOT be frowned down upon. I mean, what if this society was completely gay, and being straight was frowned upon, huh? Not too pleasant, huh?

My point is, there's so much unnecessary hate in the world, so many people itching to pick a fight (I once saw a gay guy try sueing a matress company because of the term, "QUEEN-size." O__o). I dunno why people simply can't live and let live, yano?

ABDUR101
Jun 21, 2006, 06:24 PM
If a gay guy hits on you, and you get offended, you can't take a compliment very well appearently.

"Oh no someone is trying to pick me up! What a bastard!" And your colon will be fine, common sense goes a long way in every ordeal.

Ma_Navu
Jun 21, 2006, 08:25 PM
On 2006-06-21 16:24, ABDUR101 wrote:
If a gay guy hits on you, and you get offended, you can't take a compliment very well appearently.

"Oh no someone is trying to pick me up! What a bastard!" And your colon will be fine, common sense goes a long way in every ordeal.

No, no, you misunderstood. If a gay guy hit on me, I'd be creeped out, not offended. And you're right, I can't take compliments well. And the colon thing? That was just a joke. The situation would be like this:

"Eeep, they hit on me. This is- uh, this is kind of awkward..."

ABDUR101
Jun 21, 2006, 08:34 PM
All you gotta say is you're not interested. It's not some big conspiracy where they're going to gang up on you as soon as you goto walk to a car, pin you to the ground and make you enjoy the touch of another guy. A simple "Sorry man, I'm straight, but thanks anyway" and it's done.

You have it easier telling a gay guy you're not interested, than someone like me trying to come onto a guy, who turns out to be a homophobe, and then attempts to kick my ass because OH NO A GUY WAS INTERESTED IN THEM. There are gay guys that are like every other guy, they aren't overly femenine, they're just average guys who actually like other guys, so until straight guys start wearing little badges that say "Straight as an Arrow", you're going to get hit on.

Thats how it works, the social thing. We see someone we're interested in, we make an effort to spark up conversation, throw in some come-ons, it's a little game that everyone plays. You certainly don't know if you don't try, right?

That wasn't all directed at you, but the idea in general that I always hear about straight guys getting weirded/creeped/offended that a gay guy came onto them. Deal with it, grow up, get over it, move on, get used to it.

Ma_Navu
Jun 21, 2006, 09:47 PM
Oh, my bad, I thought it was directed at me. >__>

But anyway, it doesn't really matter. They hit on me? Oh well, life goes on. Unless it was a traumatic experience, there's no reason to over-react. I just lack social interaction, thus why I'd react the way I would. It'd be kind of awkward for me, after explaining I'm straight. It'd be kind of like walking into a room with Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee while saying, "I had t' call my grandma. It turns out she has Hepa...titis... C. Ooooh, my bad (Tommy gave Hepatitis C to Pamela)." That's the only reason why I get wierded out, lack of experience interacting with 'em. Otherwise, it doen't affect me at all.

navci
Jun 21, 2006, 09:57 PM
On 2006-06-21 18:34, ABDUR101 wrote:
.... so until straight guys start wearing little badges that say "Straight as an Arrow", you're going to get hit on.

I like that idea. XD Like, wearing a badge that says "I am a dumb idiot especially when drunk". :>

That wasn't all directed at you, but the idea in general that I always hear about straight guys getting weirded/creeped/offended that a gay guy came onto them. Deal with it, grow up, get over it, move on, get used to it.

Ya. Like I keep having traumatic experience of guys trying to hit on me. I don't think it matters whether the person is straight or gay. It matters that if the person is being an ass about things, then it gets traumatic. Gay or not gay.

Hexadecimal
Jun 21, 2006, 10:59 PM
See... 'round these parts...its fairly common for same gender flirtation as a joke. It can get a bit weird. Where some seem to teeter on the line of seriousness... and some who kinda fall over it.

Case and point, freshman year: Sex ed (fifth year o_O yay private school.) I kinda zoned out and then realized something was rubbing my leg. I concealed my legs under my desk and that was it heh.

Or THIS year. On the day of first semester finals. I was takling to a friend...

Hex: How were your finals?
Friend: Well... So far I've only had Chemistry. But it wasn't too bad... How were-

Suddenly a male grabbed my crotch. XD Coincidentally, he supposedly had gotten drunk and made out with his best friend later that week.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 22, 2006, 12:30 AM
Nobody in High School really knows what's 2 and 2 regardless.

You don't have to necessarily treat someone differently due to their sexual preferences.

Do you treat someone differently if they're infertile? Do women feel at constant risk of "colon attacks"?

Treat someone as a person and you most likely should get the same treatment back. No need to have a panic attack.

ABDUR101
Jun 22, 2006, 08:23 AM
I had more guy-on-guy action in elementary school than I did later on in middle and highschool. Once had a friend that sat next to me at lunch give me a neck massage because I had a headache. The facility staff 'patrolling' the area made him stop though, despite me saying it was fine. I can still remember the kinda weird looks they gave too.

Certainly wish people were open enough to grab crotches and rub each others legs when I was in school. Occasionally someone you actually knew would rub your leg and make it into a joke, or try and rub up against you and get feely-touchy in an attempt to humiliate or 'gross' you out, I kinda just took it and wasn't bothered. If anything, I was more pissed that they did'nt mean anything by it other than some big scene they were attempting to make.

Hexadecimal
Jun 23, 2006, 01:25 AM
I worked with the guy I slept with today.

Not slept with like that you pervs. We just shared a bed... Apparently in my sleep, I did randomly wrap myarms around him and pull him clsoe o_O; But that sounds pretty difficult.

He randomly brought it up too. o_o I was like "yeah... heh that was funny." Yay awkward ha ha