PDA

View Full Version : Talk Vs. Type

linkzone
Jun 24, 2006, 12:40 AM
Ok I heard that the xbox 360 can chat via a headset. But the PC/PS2 cant. So Im actually thinking about buying an xbox 360 just for the voice chat. I hate typing in the middle of a fight. By the time you type what you need to say its too late to help in a battle. What is yalls opinion of that? Is voice chat worth getting a new system?

Rukocyn
Jun 24, 2006, 12:44 AM
i would go with the 360 but you will not be able to play with pc and ps2 users and the 360 version is coming out a little later than the ps2 and pc version but i think its only like a month or 2 later

Dre_o
Jun 24, 2006, 12:45 AM
All you've got to do for the PC is get some other program that lets you speak to people! It's not that difficult. I'm sure someone will give you specific names, for I have none. And worth getting a whole new system? See above and take into consideration that with the PC you can simply buy a 20 buck (american of course) Longitech PS2 controller, like myself.

VioletSkye
Jun 24, 2006, 01:02 AM
For PC, you can easily setup a Ventrilo or Team Speak server. Viola, problem solved http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I've used both and they work well. I'll have a server setup for PSU once it's out that people can connect to if they want.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-06-23 23:11 ]</font>

Skoal
Jun 24, 2006, 02:27 AM
In my opinion, Getting the XBox 360 just for the voice chat is not a good idea. That would be like spending alot of cash just for the option of talking into a microphone, I would agree with Dre and get the controller and/or use the TeamSpeak program.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jun 24, 2006, 02:54 AM
Text chat > Voice chat

-Klaus-
Jun 24, 2006, 04:16 AM
^ Agreed

EGO-BOT
Jun 24, 2006, 05:34 AM
Prefer Text chat. People just abuse Voice anyway.

tank1
Jun 24, 2006, 06:46 AM
most of the time im on servers with voice chat most of the people using it sound so muffled i cant understand what the hell there saying anyway.

Disasteroid
Jun 24, 2006, 07:36 AM
Way back in the day on Dreamcast, I was a mother fucking champ at typing with one hand and playing with the other!

EDIT: By the way, this may seem like a lame question...

For the people who have played the japanese beta, how much can you type in a chat bubble before it gets cut off? I pray to whatever God there is that its much more than the pitifully small two lines of text PSO would let you type. Nothing is worse than attempting to type up a nice, well structured, abbreviation and acronym-free sentence only to find that its been cut off eight words ago... That makes me a sad panda.

EDIT2: As long as I've got my mind on text limitations, I'd also like to know how many characters can you have in your name? I remember playing a free trial for Blue Burst and was pretty disappointed to see it was lowered from twelve to ten. Once again, I was a sad panda since all the names I've ever used for my guys have been at least eleven letters long.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Disasteroid on 2006-06-24 06:14 ]</font>

RFB
Jun 24, 2006, 07:38 AM
I'm going with text chat too. Because of personal preference, and because I suck at understanding spoken english http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Fleece
Jun 24, 2006, 08:52 AM
Im going with text type as with a mic i have extreme verbal diaorhea, often along the lines of...

"WTF FU YA PIECE OF SH!T I WAS F*CKING MILES AWAY, THATS F*CKING BULL. OH F*CK THIS OFF"

*Rants on for another 3 hours*

Yoruichi
Jun 24, 2006, 09:01 AM
For anoying people on the mic and of course people like Fleece(lol)I choose both and will go PC. That way I can chose who I want to talk to because it will be a moderated server/channel and still be able to easily commnicate and play the old fashion way(keyboard and usb controller).

Best of all if I'm bored waiting for a group or friends to log on I can search the web for items to drool over, surf, etc.

VioletSkye
Jun 24, 2006, 11:38 AM
It really depends on who you play with. For a close knit group of friends it's actually nice to have voice chat. Honestly, it's not really an issue. if you want to use voice chat, you can, if you don't want to use it, don't. Pretty simple. And text chat is always available regardless so anyone joining a team will still be able to communicate with your group. Text chat isn't any > or < than voice chat, it's just another option and one I prefer to have when playing with friends.

Also since I'll be running the server myself I can ban anyone I need to ban so people being obnoxious isn't an issue. It's basically a win-win as far as I'm concerned. I do understand that some people are less comfortable speaking though and text chat is a great way for them to say what they have to say without saying it, if that made sense http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

linkzone
Jun 24, 2006, 11:49 AM
OMG. This didnt help at all. Some say Text is better, but Voice is cool. Yet others say Voice can be annoying too. Its too annoying. Im about to just not play online. Oy... Well. Ill let this go on abit more. One thing I did learn is not to by the xbox just for the voice.

VioletSkye
Jun 24, 2006, 12:44 PM
How could it not help? You were wondering if you should buy a new system (XBox 360) just for the voicechat and we told you that you can do voicechat on pc. If you were planning on playing the PS2 version, then I have no info on that as I simply don't know. I wouldn't worry too much about our opinions on voicechat as it will differ from person to person. Some like it, some don't, simple as that. It only really matters if you like it. And whether you like it or not will depend greatly on your personal experience with it. If you are on with a bunch of morons then you probably will get annoyed, if you are on with people you like and get along with, you'll probably love it. The software for the PC version is free (the only cost would be the headset or mic and speaker setup) so if you don't like it, then stick to text chat http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ANIMEniac
Jun 24, 2006, 12:52 PM
i would say dont buy the 360 unless you were eventualy gunna get the system for other games anyway. but being a PSOX player i have gotten used to voice chat and i like it, but dont mind typing at all. yes there are people who abuse it, but odds are that you wont be around them long enuff to really do any harm. but if it is the case you can ither A) ask them nicely to stop (one will be suprised how well this actualy works, its when you curse them out that they get hostile) or B) voice ban them, if they are really that bad, odds are they wont say anything usefull in the future.

ultimately, i would rather have the 3 sytemes commected and type than be separated with voice. but as long as there is no voice lag it is good. true it is alot easier to be an a$$ with voice than to type out a mean comment, but there are expressions and such that you just cant convey in type w/o explaining it, like sarcasum or a punchline of a joke/comment.

SubstanceD
Jun 24, 2006, 01:02 PM
Having being born and bred in the Caribbean, I have a very heavy accent and it would not surprise me if some people had trouble undertsnading what I am saying. I am also a little hard of hearing. Needless to say, I have no love for mic chat.

Despite the inconviences involved, I am all for typing.

Rubesahl
Jun 24, 2006, 02:18 PM
On 2006-06-24 04:46, tank1 wrote:
most of the time im on servers with voice chat most of the people using it sound so muffled i cant understand what the hell there saying anyway.

Precisely. If people were heard clear at least 90% of the time, and people can understand me clearly 90% of the time, I wouldn't mind. Anyways in Xbox Live, after turning off all the PCs in the house for assured bandwidth and its still laggy o_x in games like halo2 and DOA4 -__-; I really dunno whats up with a connection of 2.0mbps down and 512kbps upload... Maybe latency? Probably when internet connection and server technology improve in the future and there's much more quality will I probably be able to enjoy voice chat with strangers. As for friends, its just great http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I love using Skype with my two friends in EQ2, makes things pretty efficient since I can actually say when I need heling lol

But yeah, it does not decide whether you want an XB360 or not. What could decide it is how advanced and up to date is your PC. Its nothing like F.E.A.R. or Doom 3 >.> so it doesn't have to be THAT new (though I'm sometimes amazed as to how bad Japanese copanies program 3D for PC >_>; hopefully this won't be an issue with PSU since it was developed for pc and ps2... I hope...) For example I remember in BB, the only way it moved smooth with me in max settings was when I got the Ati x800pro 256mb (and it still lagged in lobbies and busy areas) but come on, the Xbox (since its the perfect example for this) had much lower specs than a PC with a 128mb Ati radeon 9200 / nvidia 5200 and a processor of like 1.5 with at least 512mb of ram... and yes blue burst can not be put in max settings in a pc like that ... Anyways you're not importing so when I get my copy of the Japanese PC version I'll let ppl here know on how it performs...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubesahl on 2006-06-24 12:22 ]</font>

hypersaxon
Jun 24, 2006, 02:21 PM
Get a 360. Then you can play PSU along with Halo 3 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Saner
Jun 24, 2006, 02:57 PM
Look at it this way:

text chat, everyone can read what you say. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif

voice chat, only headset users can hear you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/ducky.gif

PhotonCat
Jun 24, 2006, 05:25 PM
Text chatting is so much better than voice chat.

If you are that lazy to type then please don't go on the internet.

VioletSkye
Jun 24, 2006, 05:58 PM
Heh, are you even serious? The internet is precisely for lazy people http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Anyway, I don't think either one is necessarily "better" or "worse" it just depends on what each individual likes. On team games I've played in the past, I rather like having voice chat. My server ran smoothly and the sound quality was extremely good. It's different though when you either run or connect to a private server because you don't have to listen to the immature idiots rambling on or making offensive remarks. If it's a group of friends than the dynamic is completely different.

I agree that with PSU, voice chat really isn't as important as it is in other team games and if you don't have a lot of experience with online chat programs than the natural choice would be to just use text. But for those of us that have used voice chat for years and years, it just seems like a natural way to communicate. Just like in real life, I prefer actually talking to my friends in person or on the phone as opposed to an instant messenger program. I like hearing their voice and I like being able to make sarcastic remarks that really don't translate well with mere text http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

But I doubt that the lack of voice chat for PSU will hamper the fun at all. I got along just fine with text chat for PSO http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

linkzone
Jun 24, 2006, 10:30 PM
OK Im convinced. Ill keep it on the PC. If I want voice Ill get software for it. If I need to type, well I can type. Ill push back buying the Xbox 360 till it has somemore games I like. Halo 3 isnt good enough to pay 400 bucks for.

Kyuu
Jun 25, 2006, 12:11 AM
If you're going to use voice over the computer, use Ventrilo. It's pretty standard, it's simple, and it's free.

Though I'm sure VioletSkye here can probably recommend something better that I've never heard of. =P

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-06-24 22:13 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Jun 25, 2006, 12:40 AM
I'd say either Ventrilo or Team Speak would work well. I've got both servers setup atm. Both are extremely easy to get up and running. People seem to like Ventrilo over Team Speak but I've never had any issues with either one http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I also have Skype, but I don't do much with it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-06-24 22:42 ]</font>

Alisha
Jun 25, 2006, 02:34 AM
i hate voice chat all i have to do is open my mouth and say one word then people start asking me if im hot ; ; plus sometimes i find myself wanting to say/type something like lol or lmao or something dumb like that.

Yoruichi
Jun 25, 2006, 05:15 AM
Thats a problem with company you keep, you hang around children you will get immature remarks. If your stuck with doing public games then don't talk. Right now in WoW I only do voice chat with friends/select guildies it really helps cut down on the morons I have to deal with compared to xbox live.

therealAERO
Jun 25, 2006, 06:35 AM
My girlfriend and I used skype when we were playing the PSU beta. Works well for me and her. I don't know about a team, but we could probably just use the conference thing than.

Yoruichi
Jun 25, 2006, 06:45 AM
Ah, I've used skype too. Very clear(better than my cell phone lol), but when you use a conference call its only up to 4 people. If its a guild thing I don't think thats enough for a full party, you may have to resort to vent/ts. If its 1on1 or 4 people skype seems to be the most clear. A vent/ts server with good codecs won't be too awful though.

linkzone
Jun 26, 2006, 05:14 AM
Hmmm... Youz guys are very helpful. Maybe we'll meet in PSU. Do you think theyll have different servers? Well thanks for all the help. I only ever played GW onine. Never WoW. Half my barracks plays that game. But Im tired of old style games. Time for Phantasy.