PDA

View Full Version : The Long Bow

Elleranda
Jun 24, 2006, 03:11 AM
Okay, I have a dilemma. The PSO World website says that long bows are usable by forces, and a friend of mine was looking forward to using them, as she absolutely adores bows. BUT, I don't belive she'll find the force class fun. So, is this an incorrect piece of info, or can they be used by both force AND ranger?

...oh, and can you jump?

mechatra
Jun 24, 2006, 03:31 AM
Well to start off, no there's no button to jump, although for certain Blade photon arts you will leap into the air for a brief period of time.

Secondly, as far as we know so far the Bow is exclusive to Forces. Of course the game hasn't been released yet so we don't know if there will be any class weapon usae crossover at higher levels, so at first the answer is no, but that may all change.

Elleranda
Jun 24, 2006, 04:04 AM
Oh.. That's too bad. I really hope something happens so that my friend can use bows. She really likes them.

Lyrise
Jun 24, 2006, 11:26 AM
Simple. Just switch to force form. If your friend loves to use bows, then she'll stay as a force. Comparing a force with a bow to a ranger with any gun, the use is about the same. (Only one attack [fire], and shots inflict elemental damage/statuses)

PALRAPPYS
Jun 24, 2006, 11:32 AM
I thought I remember a video here on PSOW showing Ethan using a bow, then a claw. He didn't even use magic or anything!

Dre_o
Jun 24, 2006, 11:39 AM
On 2006-06-24 09:32, PALRAPPYS wrote:
I thought I remember a video here on PSOW showing Ethan using a bow, then a claw. He didn't even use magic or anything!

This has already been covered in another Thread but Ethan can use everything because Story mode is different from Online.

Moo2u
Jun 24, 2006, 01:22 PM
It seems odd to me that bows wouldn't be a ranger excusive weapon.

Lyrise
Jun 24, 2006, 01:34 PM
It wouldn't be a long stretch to say that bows were more Force oriented, since due to the design of the bow, it would require good control of photon and elemental energy since you're not firing solid projectiles, nor are you manipulating some kind of firing mechanism. (notice that there's no bowstring or even anything that would resemble anything to propel your shot)

I was more under the impression that Rangers were more of the class that manipluates full devices to shoot out photon energy, and not manipulating the energy itself to shoot out, which would most likely be a Force type's forté.

Kyuu
Jun 24, 2006, 01:38 PM
On 2006-06-24 11:22, Moo2u wrote:
It seems odd to me that bows wouldn't be a ranger excusive weapon.

I would find it odd if bows were ranger-exlusive. There is already a wide selection of projectile weapons, and why would a ranger need a bow when he's got a rifle?

PALRAPPYS
Jun 24, 2006, 02:22 PM
On 2006-06-24 09:39, Dre_o wrote:

On 2006-06-24 09:32, PALRAPPYS wrote:

This has already been covered in another Thread but Ethan can use everything because Story mode is different from Online.

That's kinda dumb.

DraginHikari
Jun 24, 2006, 02:34 PM
Not really... if you had to play Ethan like you do online characters you'd be developing him just as long, which I don't really want to do with an offline part of the game.

Elleranda
Jun 24, 2006, 04:49 PM
It would make more sense if rangers and forces could use it, but oh well.

Pure-chan
Jun 27, 2006, 04:26 PM
I have two questions about bows:

1) Can you cast while having a bow equipped?

2) What stat is damge goverened by when using a bow?

Lyrise
Jun 27, 2006, 05:32 PM
1. No you can't cast anything with a bow. Like I stated earlier, with a bow, a Force type pretty much becomes a Ranger type (as in your only offensive command is "shoot")

2. Damage from my experience is a mix of atp, technique attack power. Damage will also be modified based on the photon art linked to the bow if you choose to link one (higher damage, inflicts status, but at a cost of lower accuracy and increased PP usage).

IMO, a bow is what a force really needed in order to cover situations where magic isn't good enough.

chibiLegolas
Jun 28, 2006, 01:23 PM
I just wonder why would a force choose a bow over a handgun. Handguns' quicker I assume, plus it's one handed. The animation for the bow seems somewhat slow & medium range (if I remember correctly), so I just hope it'll do more damage to compinsate for the speed.

turtle323
Jun 28, 2006, 01:36 PM
ONLY FORCE CAN SORRY

Lyrise
Jun 28, 2006, 03:50 PM
On 2006-06-28 11:23, chibiLegolas wrote:
I just wonder why would a force choose a bow over a handgun. Handguns' quicker I assume, plus it's one handed. The animation for the bow seems somewhat slow & medium range (if I remember correctly), so I just hope it'll do more damage to compinsate for the speed.

Handguns use a different damage formula than a bow, and it's much to the disadvantage of a force.

Alisha
Jun 28, 2006, 04:32 PM
On 2006-06-28 13:50, Lyrise wrote:

On 2006-06-28 11:23, chibiLegolas wrote:

Handguns use a different damage formula than a bow, and it's much to the disadvantage of a force.

can you please elaborate on this?

SekotheFOmar
Jun 28, 2006, 04:51 PM
Well at first I thought every class can use any weapon, which be proven right once the game comes out, but the question "why use a bow when a ranger has a rifle" a ranger might want to be unique and different. I find a bow much more fun to use than a gun, in a game that is.

Lyrise
Jun 28, 2006, 05:15 PM
On 2006-06-28 14:32, Alisha wrote:

A bow's damage formula involves it's attack power, and technique attack power. Forces lack the first, but have plenty of the second. (When I was in a bow using phase, I was easily outdamaging hunters with a bow per hit, linked with Raiseisou [Lightning arrow])

A handgun's attack power involves just pure attack power. Forces do NOT have that kind of luxury unless you use a booster item or cast a booster spell, but that point is moot cause you could cast it and use a bow too.

Now, if you were to say, dual arm a wand with a handgun, that's fine, this gives you a little extra functionality. But if the purpose is just to dish out extremely long range physical and non magical element damage (i.e. Onma Gogg flight mode), this is where the bow shines and the handgun falls flat.

I'd go so far as to say this is basically a customized rifle for a Force Type.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyrise on 2006-06-28 15:16 ]</font>

SekotheFOmar
Jun 28, 2006, 06:09 PM
OH! Now you just made it a lot simpiler Lyrise thanks!

Alisha
Jun 29, 2006, 08:12 PM
On 2006-06-28 15:15, Lyrise wrote:

On 2006-06-28 14:32, Alisha wrote:

A bow's damage formula involves it's attack power, and technique attack power. Forces lack the first, but have plenty of the second. (When I was in a bow using phase, I was easily outdamaging hunters with a bow per hit, linked with Raiseisou [Lightning arrow])

A handgun's attack power involves just pure attack power. Forces do NOT have that kind of luxury unless you use a booster item or cast a booster spell, but that point is moot cause you could cast it and use a bow too.

Now, if you were to say, dual arm a wand with a handgun, that's fine, this gives you a little extra functionality. But if the purpose is just to dish out extremely long range physical and non magical element damage (i.e. Onma Gogg flight mode), this is where the bow shines and the handgun falls flat.

I'd go so far as to say this is basically a customized rifle for a Force Type.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyrise on 2006-06-28 15:16 ]</font>

hmn thats interesting but im still concerned about the fact that gun damage is based on raw attack power :/

Kyuu
Jun 29, 2006, 08:18 PM
On 2006-06-29 18:12, Alisha wrote:

hmn thats interesting but im still concerned about the fact that gun damage is based on raw attack power :/

Why?

Alisha
Jun 29, 2006, 09:38 PM
hucast with mechguns in pso. need i say more?

Lyrise
Jun 30, 2006, 03:37 AM
Hunter Form can't use mechguns. Also, mechguns burn through PP like a hot knife through warm butter.

Ryna
Jun 30, 2006, 02:14 PM
On 2006-06-29 19:38, Alisha wrote:
hucast with mechguns in pso. need i say more

For old school veterans, Hucast + Spread Needle.

Anyways, there will likely be some over-powered, popular weapons in the game, but I don't think the Long Bow will be one of them. Generally, a FO will do more damage with a technic than a Bow (at least that was my experience). I mostly used Bows on aerial enemies or when I was running low on PP on my FO weapons.

Alisha
Jun 30, 2006, 07:43 PM
funny thing is in the original pso all hunters had the same atp cap. but yeah hunters with needle was lame.

Saner
Jun 30, 2006, 09:43 PM
let the Forces have the bow,

they don't have much of a diverse weapon selection like the other classes anyways. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif