PDA

View Full Version : The Keyboard Fiasco in a Nutshell (So sucky PSOW-Articles do

Spy
Oct 22, 2002, 01:19 AM
In a game like Phantasy Star Online(PSO), the ability to communicate with ease while performing actions like dispatching mutant monstrosities, healing fellow adventurers, or hunters in PSO jargon, or even coordinating actions like hitting switches and unlocking doors is imperative and undeniably vital to successful gaming. In addition to means programmed into the game, like customizable "icons", preset, commonly used phrases, and a soft, or on-screen keyboard, a company called ASCII, who specializes in making third-party controllers/peripherals, set out to design a keyboard spliced with the GameCube controller. This controller has consequently been dubbed "The Hybrid."

At the time of this article's inception, October 21, 2002, The Hybrid is the only keyboard peripheral available for the Nintendo GameCube(GCN), and is currently being distributed exclusively in Japan, discounting import vendors, and PSO is the only game taking advantage of this controller. Granted, the U.S. and the rest of the world have yet to experience the wonder that is Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II, with a shipping date of 10/29/02. However, the ASCII Hybrid has yet to be given a US release date, and Sega neglects to mention the Hybrid as a compatible peripheral that PSO can take advantage of on their PSO game page among other items like the modems and GameBoy Advance(GBA) link-cable.

Despite assurances by Sega that a keyboard will indeed be ready by launch, local and on-line retailers still have no information, and with the game set to ship in a mere eight days, the assurances by Sega seem like the assurances of a parent to a small child that everything will be all right, if not out and out lies. The savvy PSO fanatic, myself included, has started to import the Hybrid seeing as how, this close to launch, no other viable keyboard solution has been presented. Many online importers are listing the Hybrid as "out of stock", and some wonder if they will ever get any more hybrids in again.

Since it's inception, the U.S has met the Hybrid with harsh criticisms by the standard PSO player. The small size of the keyboard itself mashed in between an elongated, but still small GCN controller, was not designed for those with large hands. And it not only shows, but feels as well. The keyboard itself gives off a cramped sensation as one holds it in their lap. And yes, you must hold the controller over your lap due to it's larger size in comparison to standard controllers and increased weight. Couple this with the fact that the Hybrid requires two controller ports to be fully utilized and carries a minimum $60 price tag, it's easy to see why the Hybrid gets a bad wrap from the consensual PSO community.

Despite the Hybrids shortcomings, or the shortcomings of the player too big to use the Hybrid correctly(you choose which answer best suits you), its still a solid controller with the standard CGN controller's smooth, clandestine feeling and precise control. Granted, the price tag is steep, but to some the costs are more than justified by the one thing that the Hybrid does deliver that no other GCN peripheral can provide: ease of communication. Nothing, not the presets, the icons, or the soft keyboard can even begin to compete with the hard keyboard that is the Hybrid.

Speaking only for myself, The Legendary Spy of PSOW, I can say that the $81 I spent to acquire the Hybrid was well worth the proverbial beating my wallet took. The one thing that always got me hook and sinker about PSO was the total lack of a story, that in other games, tied and bound my previous characters. However, PSO is free flowing, and the story goes wherever I and the rest of my team-members want to take it. Without being able to communicate with a keyboard, this would be impossible, and PSO would lose the sparkle I see in it that makes it a gem amongst games. The small keys, size & weight of the Hybrid; those things are negated when I am allowed to play PSO at it's best while running my mouth.

What surprises me most about this whole fiasco is the fact that a standard keyboard has yet to be released for the GCN in either Japan or the U.S. I cannot fathom that Nintendo would not have been more prepared for the release of, in my honest and humble opinion, the only on-line game that the GCN has got going for it. However, Nintendo did state prior to the GCN release that on-line network gaming was not a priority, so I guess that I shouldn't really be surprised in the least. If Nintendo does not, in the future, give on-line gaming the treatment that it's competition is, I can strongly see Nintendo going the way of Sega.

Like many other PSO addicts, I find myself glued to the video-game news headlines. As the launch of PSO in the U.S. comes ever closer, the only certainty is that it will be an interesting launch to follow. I am certain, however, that if the lack of keyboards is not addressed very soon, PSO will burn out very quickly in the general gaming market, and only smolder on in the hearts of the game's most devout followers. One thing that does seem to be quickly becoming fact is that only myself and a handful of other U.S. players will be the only ones to truly experience PSO as it was on the Dreamcast version in the next couple of weeks, if not the foreseeable future. And this would be the worst blow to a great game second only to rampant and unchecked hacking.

Send any comments to [email protected]

Keep it legit baby,
- Spy
*Makes peace sign and kisses air*

Danger_Girl
Oct 22, 2002, 01:23 AM
I don't want to knock anything the editorial team has done. Good for them that they started getting some articles written. This looks fine to me though. Can't imagine why they wouldn't want it, other than something personal which it probabily is. Screw 'em, you would be an asset to them. Not the other way around.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Danger_Girl on 2002-10-21 23:25 ]</font>

Saladwood
Oct 22, 2002, 01:38 AM
taking into consideration this WAS a published article, lets take it to SITE RELATED, shall we?

... and just so i don't get any more questions... I did publish this article in our articles section, however, spy violated a condition to having it published, so I simply took it down.

ANYHOW, it's here for anyone who wants to read it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PSOSaladWood on 2002-10-21 23:44 ]</font>

Spy
Oct 22, 2002, 01:44 AM
On 2002-10-21 23:38, PSOSaladWood wrote:
taking into consideration this WAS a published article, lets take it to SITE RELATED, shall we?

Lame. It's not an article anymore. Now it's a topic open for discussion. But you're the one making PSOW soo great, maybe I should just yield to your judgement.

Danger_Girl
Oct 22, 2002, 01:52 AM
Ahhhh...so this is all about Spy changing his title to article pimp, so you removed his article.

OMFG ROFL

eRUPT
Oct 22, 2002, 01:53 AM
So you submitted a story. It was accepted. Your arrogant and utterly annoying about it. Its taken down. Your arrogant and utterly annoying about it again. What do you actually want? If your so unhappy why bother posting? I've gone out of my way to actually accomodate quite a few things on the forums for users like yourself, you don't seem to be happy with anything. I grow quite tired of childish activities, actually its been quite repetitive and boring now.

LollipopLolita
Oct 22, 2002, 02:01 AM
On 2002-10-21 23:44, Spy wrote:

Lame. It's not an article anymore. Now it's a topic open for discussion. But you're the one making PSOW soo great, maybe I should just yield to your judgement.

are you directly contributing to making psow better spy?

and you dg, being older should set a better more matured example

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2002-10-22 00:02 ]</font>

Danger_Girl
Oct 22, 2002, 02:07 AM
On 2002-10-21 23:53, eRUPT wrote:
So you submitted a story. It was accepted. Your arrogant and utterly annoying about it. Its taken down. Your arrogant and utterly annoying about it again. What do you actually want? If your so unhappy why bother posting? I've gone out of my way to actually accomodate quite a few things on the forums for users like yourself, you don't seem to be happy with anything. I grow quite tired of childish activities, actually its been quite repetitive and boring now.

WOW...all this cause he changed his title. You are a tired aren't you eRUPT. Thats what you mood says on the left anyway. Maybe you should get some sleep. You know if you can't handle it, maybe you should step aside.

Saladwood
Oct 22, 2002, 02:07 AM
On 2002-10-21 23:52, Danger_Girl wrote:
Ahhhh...so this is all about Spy changing his title to article pimp, so you removed his article.

OMFG ROFL

I warned him about it prior to submitting the article. So it's his own fault that it happened. That's what "this is all about."

Barubary6
Oct 22, 2002, 02:08 AM
What I hate about the "keyboard fiasco" is that, unlike with the Xbox, you can't make your own keyboard if you don't like what's out there. Just today I made a USB to Xbox adaptor for a keyboard out of an extra USB cable and an Xbox controller extension cable. No such option exists on the Gamecube...

-- Barubary

LollipopLolita
Oct 22, 2002, 02:10 AM
you know it's an off day when barubary is the only one who makes sense in a thread

Danger_Girl
Oct 22, 2002, 02:11 AM
On 2002-10-22 00:01, LollipopLolita wrote:

are you directly contributing to making psow better spy?

and you dg, being older should set a better more matured example

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2002-10-22 00:02 ]</font>

You mean mature like Wood is here right....
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32729&forum=14&9

Spy has been my friend for a long time now, and seeing that irritated me.

pixelate
Oct 22, 2002, 02:11 AM
Lame. It's not an article anymore. Now it's a topic open for discussion.

Now it's an article.

LollipopLolita
Oct 22, 2002, 02:13 AM
no no i lock first because it's really a stupid coversation!