PDA

View Full Version : How much do you have to rest?

Shivore
Jun 27, 2006, 07:43 PM
This has probably been asked before but I couldn't find it so I'll ask it now.

In each of the various MMO's there has been one thing that has bothered me. It's in all of them to varying degrees, and that's the issue of resting. Regularly the players have to fight, kill a few enemies, then find a safe place to sit and rest for 2-5 minutes (or more) depending on the game and the character, then they can go back to fighting. I was wondering if that was the case here? Do you find yourself having to rest alot, or can you just subsist on purchased supplies? (without breaking the bank) And if you do have to rest very much, is it for long periods of time? For example: Maple Story, rest for about 15 seconds to recover 15 hp, when you have a maximum hp of 1600+. What the?! (and the mp regain is no better, unless you're a mage.)

So in short, how prominent will the downtime be in PSU?

Ether
Jun 27, 2006, 08:03 PM
None, except for maybe quickly returning to town before boss fights

Saner
Jun 27, 2006, 08:26 PM
NO DOWNTIME!

PSU certainly delivers another uppercut to those tedious time-wasting mmorpgs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

UltimateCarl
Jun 27, 2006, 08:34 PM
If PSU is similar to PSO in this regard (which the Beta seemed like it was...) then you wont need to sit and "rest" at all. In fact, you can't! HP and TP didn't regen naturally at all in PSO, (though I think there was some equipment that could do that, though it was very, VERY slow...) and it doesn't seem that way in PSU.

I know you have PP or whatever that limits special attacks or in the case of firearms, attacking period... But I think this is a much faster (both in the regen and draining areas) limit than, say, MP. It's mostly in place to keep you from constantly spamming your power attacks or whatever, and should you use all of it up by the end of a fight, it should be mostly returned by the time you reach your next encounter.

So, yeah, go PSO/U! Sorta' the 7UP of MMOs. The un-MMO, if you will.

Kyuu
Jun 27, 2006, 10:03 PM
There is no HP regen in PSU, so sitting around to rest will net you nothing.

There is PP regen, but my understanding is that it's pretty slow, and generally you should be carrying around extra weapons to swap in if you run out of PP and/or use PP recovery items (although these are expensive and should be used conservatively).

Halfway through each mission, as well as just before the boss (I think), there is a point where you can recover all your PP for dirt cheap.

Downtime is pretty much non-existant in PSO, and I imagine it will be the same in PSU.

Kers
Jun 27, 2006, 10:45 PM
There should be little, if any downtime in combat zones. If you're depending on using PAs and PTs too much to kill enemies, you could run out of PP and ways to heal before reaching the half way point. Then would be a good idea to dump the mission because there's no Telepipe or Ryuker, and your hard work could be rewarded with a low grade from alot of dying.

However, some, if not all item synthesis, takes your PM real time to complete. I'm not shure if you can leave your room and do other things, even missions while your PM synthesizes. It would be nice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kers on 2006-06-27 20:45 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 28, 2006, 12:02 AM
This is a little off but are there going to be places where you can recharge your guns PP gage without the cubes?

Inazuma
Jun 28, 2006, 12:46 AM
at low levels of play, you will prob take a few breaks to let your pp recharge. but im sure once you get stronger and get a good stream of money coming in, you can just use pp recharge items.

Kyuu
Jun 28, 2006, 04:29 AM
However, some, if not all item synthesis, takes your PM real time to complete. I'm not shure if you can leave your room and do other things, even missions while your PM synthesizes. It would be nice.

I'm not 101% sure, but I'm almost certain you don't have to stick around in your room while your PM synthesizes. Considering some items take hours to complete (if I'm not mistaken), that'd be really, really stupid on ST's part.

Shivore
Jun 28, 2006, 05:15 AM
Alright that's nice to hear. Usually I just fight some, rest in a safe place, and alt-tab to do something else for a while, and that really breaks up the game-play, and I'm only comfortable with that when I'm soloing. Nice to know there won't be none of that here! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Thanks guys. One more reason I'm gonna be getting PSU!

Pheromone
Jun 28, 2006, 08:15 AM
you should take a rest from the computer for 15 minutes every hour you are on the computer, seriously. also, rotate your wrists when your hands arent busy, even if they crack.. Don't want carpel tunnel's

Sevenfold
Jun 28, 2006, 06:58 PM
Rolf @ Pheromone. Too true though, not that I ever remember to do such things O_o

Ryna
Jun 28, 2006, 07:04 PM
On 2006-06-27 22:02, SgtShligger wrote:
This is a little off but are there going to be places where you can recharge your guns PP gage without the cubes?

There are recharging items, but they are horribly expensive.

As for item synthesis, you don't have to stay in your room the entire time.

Skoal
Jun 30, 2006, 01:30 AM
On 2006-06-28 06:15, Pheromone wrote:
you should take a rest from the computer for 15 minutes every hour you are on the computer, seriously. also, rotate your wrists when your hands arent busy, even if they crack.. Don't want carpel tunnel's

haha no lie, I got carpal tunnel from playing WoW with my buddy haha. I went to the doctor cause I thought I was stroking out or something.

phunk
Jun 30, 2006, 01:35 AM
I wouldn't imagine a little if any downtime in PSU, PSO had none other than going back to the shops or a break of your own choice.

Alisha
Jun 30, 2006, 03:41 AM
On 2006-06-27 18:03, Ether wrote:
None, except for maybe quickly returning to town before boss fights

im pretty sure going to town is like giving up on a mission.