PDA

View Full Version : Are clans still going to be in psu and if so who wants a ran

turtle323
Jun 28, 2006, 03:01 PM
any one

Stan
Jun 28, 2006, 03:11 PM
You could better make a poll out of this or something. And then a bit more diverse than just these two things. otherwise it'd be like, Ja, me. =/

And yeah, ofcourse people will organize themselves in some clan system and there surely will be people who'll make a ranger clan.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stan on 2006-06-29 05:15 ]</font>

turtle323
Jun 28, 2006, 03:13 PM
ok lol

ShadowDragon28
Jun 28, 2006, 03:31 PM
IMO "clans" are usually to much like quasi-elitist Cliques hung up on uneccessary rivalry, competition, stupid gossip and all manner of immaturity. IMNO "clans" are rather pointless. Especially in a game like PSU.

"Clans" are more appropriate for FPS's as online they are PvP and team vs. team based and as such competition is a intregal part of online FPS's.

"Competition" in an online rpg (that especially does *not* have PvP) that mainly emphasizes co-operative gameplay, and social interaction is rather pointless and uneccessary to have a made-up system of "competition" IMO. This is PSU, not Highschool "our Clique is better than your Clique" The Game. -_-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-06-28 13:31 ]</font>

turtle323
Jun 28, 2006, 03:35 PM
ummm shush man a clan is for a team to support each other and come for each other not just for pvp and do u know why peps quit psobb my point the dupeing was high so dont tell me that crap man

ajenteks
Jun 28, 2006, 03:46 PM
The Guild Card List is the only "clan" I really need.

Alielle
Jun 28, 2006, 04:12 PM
On 2006-06-28 13:35, turtle323 wrote:
ummm shush man a clan is for a team to support each other and come for each other not just for pvp and do u know why peps quit psobb my point the dupeing was high so dont tell me that crap man

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/10/11

My eyes bleed.

ShadowDragon28
Jun 28, 2006, 04:16 PM
Most clans (note: *not "all" ) I know of are typically very immature, and are very Clique-ish in nature. Supporting other players that have become your friends is a good, treating everyone else as somehow "lesser" that one's clique of friends/ "clan" is not IMNO.

IMO It's the "our group is better than that other group, that other group is *insert insult or other tacky comment here* " mentallity that I strongly disagree with.

ajenteks
Jun 28, 2006, 04:16 PM
On 2006-06-28 14:12, Alielle wrote:

My eyes bleed.

After linking to a webcomic about a period, that just seems too punny to be true...

Sevenfold
Jun 28, 2006, 04:37 PM
Uh...ShadowDragon28. Im...just going to be honest and say that just sounds stupid. Granted PSO isnt exactly a "clan" or "guild" oriented game, your speculation while as you said "opinionated" just sounds off. Unless you have been playing games with 10 year old kids over the past few years. I have never really had any issues like the ones you speak of. Now I know you didnt say "all" but, do you remember a group, back in the PSO, DC days called Legit PSO? Another shinning example of why almost everything your saying is...off.

ShadowDragon28
Jun 28, 2006, 05:08 PM
I'm speaking of clans in general, pardon my generalization.

I wasn't refering to "all" just the majority of clans I've seen spam lobbies, and spam several message boards (like Sega.com's) on all the iterations of PSO,and some of the free online games I used to play, how the members of many clans have behaved in general, though there are/were always exceptions.

I know there are Clans made-up of more mature players. But there does not seem to be all that many Clans like Legit PSO.
Legit PSO is the exception; perhaps if more Clans were like Legit PSO, maybe they'd be more approachable by new players, and inadvertant "loner" type players that have difficulty with acclimating to the social enviroments of online games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-06-28 15:13 ]</font>

Sevenfold
Jun 28, 2006, 05:15 PM
I can see that part of it ShadowDragon28. Nontheless, not to get on anyones bad side, but console side, there are much younger players than PC side. Which for the most part means more of what your talking about ShadowDragon28..... I just hope they have some good fast "kick from party" options, because Im sure I will have to.

Lyrise
Jun 28, 2006, 05:18 PM
If you're leading the party, you have an absolute kick option. Fast enough for you?

Sevenfold
Jun 28, 2006, 05:20 PM
Indeed.

ShadowDragon28
Jun 28, 2006, 05:30 PM
Thank goodness for that kick-out option.

But I do see how it could be seriously abused.

I do worry about some people that may make an open games and then using that on an innocent players/newcomers that didn't do anything wrong; kicking them out for no-reason other than the team leader being a major jerk.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-06-28 15:31 ]</font>

deltron3030
Jun 28, 2006, 05:39 PM
Metal Gear Solid 3:Subsistence was the first game I played that had a "kick" feature. But in that game one has to mess around with the DNS in order to host games. So I was able to join games but not create them. Is this the same for PSU? Or will I be able to create games right from the start?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: deltron3030 on 2006-06-28 15:43 ]</font>

Sevenfold
Jun 28, 2006, 05:40 PM
Thats a rather bleak perespective....but, sadly, Im sure it will happen. Rarely, but I still see it.

deltron3030
Jun 28, 2006, 05:47 PM
Can someone that has played the game give me a straight answer?

Sevenfold
Jun 28, 2006, 05:49 PM
Creating a game is right out of the box. Basically you create an area for up to 5 people to join. In which, you control (assuming you created the game) who stays and goes.

deltron3030
Jun 28, 2006, 06:00 PM
Lol thanks. I just found about this feature today and think it is great news. There were many times in PSO when a cheater takes up the 4th spot and just ruins the whole game for everybody.And as a result everyone usually heads for the lobby so that a leader can make a locked game.

Speaking of locked games, do you think there will be less of those now because of the added kick feature?

Sevenfold
Jun 28, 2006, 06:50 PM
Hard to say, all depends on how the community presents itself over time.

ZekeStargazer
Jun 29, 2006, 11:56 AM
My take on "clans" in any game is revolutionary. Any game can have a guild .... now that doesn't make sense does it? Look at it this way, if there is a group of people who enjoy one aspect or one attribute of a game, they can build a guild around it. Many people misconstrue groups of people to be chaotic or problematic for being uptight or cliqueish. You just need to find the good ones.

So the task is to find that "one" clan or guild that was made for you, right? No, it is just easier to create your own or is it? If you do, then you may want to have a lot of people in it or maybe just a few. You will definitely want the best experience for all of your members too!

Freelance takes into consideration everything that you might have thought possible for a guild/clan to have in the world of PSU. Bringing every aspect and every facility to your fingertips is the purpose of Freelance. A special system of smaller communities was composed for people who dislike really large groups or are intimidated by large guilds as well as what comes with them( hierarchy and a lower class of mistreated people, maybe taxes or obligations, etc.). Freelance is a base for everyone to come together and be united under one name. Whether you wish to interact specifically with your section of members or the entire guild, everything is up to you.

This guild will change everything you ever thought about the stereotypical clan.

Kyuu
Jun 29, 2006, 12:26 PM
On 2006-06-28 15:30, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
Thank goodness for that kick-out option.

But I do see how it could be seriously abused.

I do worry about some people that may make an open games and then using that on an innocent players/newcomers that didn't do anything wrong; kicking them out for no-reason other than the team leader being a major jerk.

So? If you're kicked from the game for no reason, oh well. You don't really want to be playing with someone like that anyways, and so you were spared the headache.

Rubesahl
Jun 29, 2006, 12:39 PM
On 2006-06-29 09:56, ZekeStargazer wrote:
My take on "clans" in any game is revolutionary. Any game can have a guild .... now that doesn't make sense does it? Look at it this way, if there is a group of people who enjoy one aspect or one attribute of a game, they can build a guild around it. Many people misconstrue groups of people to be chaotic or problematic for being uptight or cliqueish. You just need to find the good ones.

So the task is to find that "one" clan or guild that was made for you, right? No, it is just easier to create your own or is it? If you do, then you may want to have a lot of people in it or maybe just a few. You will definitely want the best experience for all of your members too!

Freelance takes into consideration everything that you might have thought possible for a guild/clan to have in the world of PSU. Bringing every aspect and every facility to your fingertips is the purpose of Freelance. A special system of smaller communities was composed for people who dislike really large groups or are intimidated by large guilds as well as what comes with them( hierarchy and a lower class of mistreated people, maybe taxes or obligations, etc.). Freelance is a base for everyone to come together and be united under one name. Whether you wish to interact specifically with your section of members or the entire guild, everything is up to you.

This guild will change everything you ever thought about the stereotypical clan.

Precisely my view in guilds, its more a community over anything. Btw I'm checking out your site http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

TheGreyCliche
Jun 29, 2006, 12:47 PM
i want a clan that consists of all the characters from Skies of Arcadia... they would be made to look as similar as possible (for instance: fina would not be a RAcast), and they would have to have similar skills. (for instance: Gilder would be a Ranger).

you may think it's silly, but i've always wanted to do it!

Sevenfold
Jun 29, 2006, 09:49 PM
On 2006-06-29 10:47, TheGreyCliche wrote:
i want a clan that consists of all the characters from Skies of Arcadia... they would be made to look as similar as possible (for instance: fina would not be a RAcast), and they would have to have similar skills. (for instance: Gilder would be a Ranger).

you may think it's silly, but i've always wanted to do it!

Haha, thats flipping awesome!! Granted I dont think my cast would fit that mold...regardless, many MANY kudos to you on that. SoA is one of my favorite games EVER.

Nuclearranger
Jun 29, 2006, 10:51 PM
On 2006-06-28 13:35, turtle323 wrote:
Im 4 and can not type.

Fixed
jk man
just messin

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NuclearRanger on 2006-06-29 20:56 ]</font>

Nuclearranger
Jun 29, 2006, 10:56 PM
The kick option.... I could see it now- an UBER RARE drops then the leader kicks you before you get it ... OR your at a boss then get kicked....
Just some bad sides but think about them

TheyCallMeJoe
Jun 29, 2006, 11:00 PM
Here's my two meseta.

Clans = bad. Guild cards or buddy lists are suitable, because they don't automatically group you with a bunch of other people. From my experiences, clans make you lose your sense of individuality, and when one person from your "clan" does somethin rude or bad, it gives all of you a bad reputation. I don't want to have to deal with that.

Besides, I like being dependent sometimes too, and I being obligated to help other people simply because "im in their clan and I should".

ZekeStargazer
Jun 30, 2006, 10:38 AM
On 2006-06-29 21:00, TheyCallMeJoe wrote:
Here's my two meseta.

Clans = bad. Guild cards or buddy lists are suitable, because they don't automatically group you with a bunch of other people. From my experiences, clans make you lose your sense of individuality, and when one person from your "clan" does somethin rude or bad, it gives all of you a bad reputation. I don't want to have to deal with that.

Besides, I like being dependent sometimes too, and I being obligated to help other people simply because "im in their clan and I should".

I can see where you are coming from with that. I have had many experiences, good and bad, with guilds. I am not here to change your mind, but I know that with Freelance, noone will lose their sense of individuality. We have a system specifically created for people to invest time into pursuing their own individual character(s). There is also a place on our website where members can submit the personal biographies. Yes, you are united with many others under the Freelance name, but every single person has the ability to discover themselves in a better environment because of the interaction between so many people.

The other part to guilds, especially ones that I have been in, is that the reputation of the guild as a whole can not be destroyed by one person or even a small group of people. The way this is avioded completely is the use of discipline in the act of criminal actions. Simply put, YOU make yourself look bad, YOU are kicked out because WE don't want to look bad. Doing this will continue to give the public eye a good sense about how nice and considerate we are since the majority, if not all, of the members are that way.

The other part about Freelance is that there is no obligation to do anything. You have no ties, no taxes to pay, no meetings that you have to be at, and no events that you need to go to. Although, I would love to see all of the members take part in everything that Freelance has to offer, I understand that it can sometimes be an impossibility.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZekeStargazer on 2006-06-30 08:47 ]</font>

TheyCallMeJoe
Jun 30, 2006, 01:33 PM
Doh, I guess I should probably have edited my message before I posted it...

Besides, I like being dependent sometimes too...
Haha I meant to put "independent" lol...I guess that sort of changes things. I was trying to say that I didn't want to have to rely on other people or vice versa in order to get things done in the game. Don't get me wrong, I love working with other people and have a good sense of community, but past experienes have shown that too often, there are people who will NOT be independent, and hence I feel obligated to help them, or else look like a bad teammate. Hope that clears it up.

P>S> Flying solo also eliminates the chances of rivalry between groups. Just becuase I'm not in your clan doesn't mean I won't help.

isahn80
Jun 30, 2006, 02:23 PM
Zeke Stargazer, your take on the ideal guild is quite interesting, and I might just have to join.

You mentioned that Freelance would be composed of smaller groups. So in essence, I take it your guild is some kind of federation? I'm just wondering how the organizational hierarchy would work.

ZekeStargazer
Jun 30, 2006, 11:32 PM
TheyCallMeJoe, I now understnad totally what you mean, but I wasn't trying to badger you or put you down in any way. I understand how you like to be solo and I respect that. The one true ideal that I believe in the most with video games is that, if you don't like what you are doing , then don't do it and find what you truely love to do and do it! There is no sense in playing a game if you don't like what is going on.

isahn80, I would be more than happy to have you aboard, but you would need to apply first, just so we can get to know you a little better.
Yes, I did say that the guild would be broken up into smaller groups. I don't think that it will be like a federation which is what you are imposing, but I am not exactly sure what one is. I didn't go into too much detail because I try not to bore people with my posts. But since you asked, the guild is seperated into sections. Every member that joins Freelance must choose a Section I.D., which they fall under. There are ten choices that they can make and there are no specifications for any of them. Each section gets its own private forum. The seperation boasts the creation of events for specific I.D.s and allows members to interact with a fewer amount of people. But let no man(or woman) be stopped if they wish to interact with anyone else in the guild. The Section I.D.s give the members a sense of individuality and even a sense of pride for their section that they are under. As the guild grows there may even be events that involve competitions between the sections. Every section is on even ground with any other. The only higher ranking that can be found within the guild is a structure that hasn't been implemented yet. There need to be more members before this can happen. The structure is to have members, officers, Lanceleaders, and a Guildleader in that order. The members have no such obligations at any point. The officers have the obligation of representing the guild and being frequented on the game to an extent. There is only one Lanceleader of each section I.D. and they are in charge of section I.D. specific subjects. They make sure interaction is well within there section and they make sure that their section is constantly alive with acivities. There are other details that will be adjusted when the time comes to implement these higher ranks, but for now everyone is a member. I hope that answers your question.

isahn80
Jul 1, 2006, 01:12 AM
A Federation is a union of seperate states (or in this case, player groups) united by a common, centralized government. A successful Federation balances the sovereignty between the constituent states and the Federal government, so that nobody has all of the power. In the case of the freelance guild, the trick would be to balance the needs and desires of the individual player groups with those of the guild itself (i.e. you and anyone else who runs it). That's why I think it's such a fascinating idea, from what I have learned about regular online guilds and such.

Thanks for answering my question. I believe you have thought this idea out very well.

By the way, if you want to know me then read my topic post in the newbie lounge section. If you still would welcome me aboard after THAT, then I'll be pleased to join.

ZekeStargazer
Jul 2, 2006, 11:10 AM
Thank you for explaining the federation type of government. I have put a lot of planning into it and I have discussed my ideas to others for trial and error and responses about its mechanics. I guess, from your explanation, Freelance is a federation. I would truly enjoy to have you with us. I understand that you might not have the PSO background that you might wish to have, but since this is a new game, I don't think you will have trouble with it. If you do, then we can always help you out, that is what this guild is truly about. Community is an important part of Freelance, but I know that without care and the aiding of others, I can't expect us to move forward.

Zarbolord
Jul 2, 2006, 11:32 AM
I think it's nice to have some friends on who you can always count on which you find in a guild/team. Ofcourse if no one's around try to find someone that plays at that specific hour. But I think it's a nice way to make friends, also play with others ofcourse. Treating the rest as 'rejects' and other things, I agree, is immature and useless, also for societies benefit, be it real or in psu.