PDA

View Full Version : Hacking on PSU? and some people wonder why sony gets hated.

Nuclearranger
Jun 29, 2006, 06:57 PM
Article
http://cites.boisestate.edu/v5i14c.htm

"The Big Media side of Sony seems to be in the ascendant these days. The result: Sony BMG started releasing music discs that aren’t CDs: PseudoCDs that “protect” music from “excessive” copying. There are several ways to do that, all of them problematic. Sony managed to come up with a way that’s truly unfortunate: Auto-installing software that bears more than a passing resemblance to spyware and that has already been used by crackers to sneak other malware onto personal computers."

This BMG allows people to hide files 100% even from there computer incudeing viruses. Includeing a PSU trainer. Many companys are working agenst this includeing microsoft lets just hope that this gets fixed by the time PSU comes out...

Thanks sony for opening up another hole in my system! To repay you for this i wont be buying another sony product for times to come.

This program detects the sony shall i say "spyware"? on your computer no need to save it just hit run.

http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/downloads/XCP_Detection_Tool.exe

If you have it you can uninstall it by useing this.

http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html

Just keeping you informed.

If this isnt fixed hackers will once again run the PS world

ShinMaruku
Jun 29, 2006, 07:00 PM
Unreasonable Sony hate there isn't it? Blame the hackers as Sony has almost nothing on this other than it's platfom is the main platform.

Nuclearranger
Jun 29, 2006, 07:02 PM
Well when your a company you cant just make powerfull software and say "no one is going to abuse this" so yea i can see some reason to be mad.

ShinMaruku
Jun 29, 2006, 07:06 PM
Never undersetimate a hacker's resourcefulness.

And what does Music CDs have to do with DVDs withc may or may not be made by Sony?

If Sonic Tema acutally does their job on wathcing hackers, we might see less of them for the "good old days" They did nothing and the simplest of fools can run free.
It falls on all parites not just one.

Nuclearranger
Jun 29, 2006, 07:52 PM
It isnt the CD its the program it has that can be used by more than one thing. Like i said it can hide programs from everything.

Shivore
Jun 29, 2006, 07:56 PM
I've heard of this, what Sony did is illegal. They have already been sued, but last I heard it hasn't reached the courts yet. I hope when it does, they will be given a cease and desist order, because it is both wrong and against the law for a computer program to install itself without a user's knowledge or permission, especially with no license agreement.

It's not a case of Sony being the major platform, no other company does this. What do Cd's have to do about it? Well I didn't read that whole article, but what I know from elsewhere is that Sony put anti-piarcy on their music cds, so whenever you play one of their published music cds in your computer, it would automatically install the software on your system. And that is, I say again, illegal.

ShinMaruku
Jun 29, 2006, 08:43 PM
Ja, thye bunred for that and still are but you cna't equate the Music department with the VG department cna you. I cna understand all teh negativiy, but some jsut go way too dman far.

Nuclearranger
Jun 29, 2006, 10:04 PM
well think about this teck can be used to hack PSU theres no doubt about it and many other games not just psu

ajenteks
Jun 29, 2006, 10:25 PM
On 2006-06-29 17:00, ShinMaruku wrote:
Unreasonable Sony hate there isn't it?

Nobody can hate Sony enough. Unreasonable fear about hacking and trying to use some kind of a scapegoat? Absolutely.

Nuclearranger
Jun 29, 2006, 10:39 PM
Im not making a scape goat im just informing people and if i left out psu they would move the topic...

hypersaxon
Jun 29, 2006, 10:50 PM
It is possible that people will use this to try and hack PSU without Sonic Team being able to detect it. And this type of thing probably wouldn't even exist if it weren't for Sony inventing it. So yeah, screw Sony.

"RIIIDGE RACERRR!!!"

DizzyDi
Jun 29, 2006, 10:56 PM
Like Shin said before me. Never underestimate a hacker's resoucefullness. If someone REALLY wants to hack into your program, theres really no way to stop 'em.

S'not like your beloved M$ and thier 360 are perfect either.

IrishSoldier
Jun 29, 2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah, screw Sony. It's not like PSO has EVER been hacked before, right?

Please man, get a clue. You can't stop hackers. I can see why people are frustrated with Sony in some areas, but this is one that NO ONE can stop. Why do you think every single online game is just about hacked?