PDA

View Full Version : Wait a minute,I thought I needed BroadBand...

Vetsent
Jul 1, 2006, 08:10 PM
Recently I was reading the requirements for PSU from a bulletin here(the latest update of requirements from of Sega of America) and I saw something that caught my eye.It said "Connectivity: Broadband (recommended)".Then what is the minimum requirement?This was going to be my first game I could go online with(I have PSO,but I don't have the connections) and I thought I had to have BroadBand for PSU.Why didn't other requiremtent lists so far say it was "recommended"(you don't have to answer,I'm just complaining)?

What is the minimum requirement(now you can answer)?

Shivore
Jul 1, 2006, 08:17 PM
Technically, you can't say a minimum speed is "required" because it would depend on your location relative the server, your ISP, and how tolerant you are of lag. Maybe a few other things as well. Ultimately, when it come to connection speed, as long as it exists it will work, it just might work terribly, but it would work.

To put it simply: the answer to your question doesn't exist, but you might as well say you must have broadband of some type.

ajenteks
Jul 1, 2006, 08:33 PM
On 2006-07-01 18:17, Shivore wrote:

it just might work terribly, but it would work.

Man, if I see somebody jumping around on my screen because they're on dial-up, they're getting kicked. They can join my grandparents's game or something.

Saner
Jul 1, 2006, 09:17 PM
On 2006-07-01 18:33, ajenteks wrote:

On 2006-07-01 18:17, Shivore wrote:

it just might work terribly, but it would work.

Man, if I see somebody jumping around on my screen because they're on dial-up, they're getting kicked. They can join my grandparents's game or something.

ya we can't allow 56k people ruin the fun just because they are too cheap to get broadband. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

unless it's Chutes and Ladders, broadband is the only decent way to experience these online games.

Inazuma
Jul 2, 2006, 01:32 AM
if you cant get broadband, you have much bigger problems than lag in psu.

Kyuu
Jul 2, 2006, 03:53 AM
On 2006-07-01 23:32, Inazuma wrote:

Like maybe he has more important things to spend his money on than a broadband connection?

Shivore
Jul 2, 2006, 05:03 AM
Or there are still people who can't get broadband even though they would gladly spend the money. What would you have them do, move?

Sev
Jul 2, 2006, 05:22 AM
There's always the expensive as hell satellite stuff... But even then, on a rainy day there's no PSU. How's that for awesome? People still don't grasp that not everyone can just have broadband, we all know the world doesn't work so easily. If it did, we'd already be playing this game now wouldn't we?

Vetsent
Jul 2, 2006, 08:36 AM
On 2006-07-02 03:22, Sev wrote:
There's always the expensive as hell satellite stuff... But even then, on a rainy day there's no PSU. How's that for awesome? People still don't grasp that not everyone can just have broadband, we all know the world doesn't work so easily. If it did, we'd already be playing this game now wouldn't we?

Thaaank you,I was about to have to tell some of these people that.I am out a couple miles from any local BroadBand so my only other solution would be satellite,which as you said is as expensive as hell.

tank1
Jul 2, 2006, 08:44 AM
Well PSO wasnt that laggy with dial up (atlest to me anyway) so maybe PSU will be the same.

Ryudo
Jul 2, 2006, 08:48 AM
On 2006-07-02 01:53, Kyuu wrote:

On 2006-07-01 23:32, Inazuma wrote:

Like maybe he has more important things to spend his money on than a broadband connection?

Then one would assume they have more important things to spend their money on than monthly fees for an online game...

Personally I wouldnt be too pleased about getting one of those "Please wait until all players have finished downloading the quest" messages and waiting for a 56k player =|

Kayai
Jul 2, 2006, 11:48 AM
America and Europe are the only places with 56k ports...Japan only has broadband...maybe thats the secret..

Kyuu
Jul 2, 2006, 12:33 PM
On 2006-07-02 06:48, Ryudo wrote:

Then one would assume they have more important things to spend their money on than monthly fees for an online game...

9 or 10 dollars a month isn't quite as much as what most people pay for cable or DSL service. If we took an average, I'd say most people pay around 30 a month. And since he's already stated he's out of the service area for the broadband providers in his area, he'd have to get satellite, which is more expensive, slower, and not as reliable.

ajenteks
Jul 2, 2006, 12:53 PM
On 2006-07-02 03:03, Shivore wrote:
Or there are still people who can't get broadband even though they would gladly spend the money. What would you have them do, move?

That would certainly be more productive than crying on messages boards about how everyone else is leaving them behind. Actually, people in rural areas should write and cry to their government representatives. But anyways, Sega is being smart and marketing the game for the broadband consumer. If they want to tease 56kers while the rest of us have a kick-button, all the more power to them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ajenteks on 2006-07-02 10:54 ]</font>

Saner
Jul 2, 2006, 01:02 PM
you think 56kers can even go online with this?

even if they could, the lag may be so bad, even they wouldn't want to play online.

VioletSkye
Jul 2, 2006, 01:28 PM
I recently switched from cable which was around $50 a month to DSL from Qwest which is roughly $52 a month because I wanted better upstream speed (I have the 7mbps service with the line provisioned at 7168 kbps download and 896 kbps upload, of course with overhead I average around 6550 kbps download and 767 kbps upload.) Both services cost 4 to 5 times what the monthly fee will likely be for PSU.

Satellite is a VERY pricy alternative and the service varies HUGELY between providers. Most providers now have 2 way service with the download and upload streams going through satellite, but some still have only 1 way service with the upload stream going through your phone line (just like dialup in that respect.) Most have overpriced installation fees (up to $1000 sometimes) or have reduced installtion fees with much higher monthly fees (up to $100 a month for a paltry 700kbps download.) Looking for anything around 1.5mbps or higher? Expect to pay HEAVILY for it. Also keep in mind that many satellite providers cap their download speed at around 500kbps. Also watch out for provider's offering service starting at something like $20-$30 a month, that usually applies to the first month only and after that it increases substantially and those prices are so high, many ISPs don't even tell you what they are on their website. Instead they have you call and talk to a customer service rep. I've dealt with quite a few clients that have satellite service and trust me when I say that the latency is usually worse (and sometimes MUCH worse) than dialup.

Why is the latency so high? Because it uses IP multicasting. 1 satellite can serve up to 5000 channels of communication. It's efficient in streaming data to many users at once, but it sucks for internet usage utlizing an IGMP (internet group management protocol) to establish and maintain various multicast groups. The routing over this type of network is awful and has TONS and TONS of overhead, not to mention that the packets are being sent so far into orbit which requires travel time. Once it hits the satellite it is beamed to a central hub which then sends the traffic out over the internet.

If you know anyone on satellite, ask to run a ping or traceroute (tracert) in a command prompt to someplace like yahoo or google and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Lastly consider the fact that even if cable or dsl is available, many members still live with parents and their parents may not feel the need to spend more money on internet for what they consider a mere "video game." You'd be surprised at how many people get along just fine with dialup and don't see the need or have the desire to spend up to 5 times more for broadband if it is only for their kid to play PSU http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-02 11:36 ]</font>

PhotonCat
Jul 2, 2006, 10:16 PM
You are going to most likely need BB if you are playing the PS2 version(They DO require a minimum connection speed to connect with BB only games) and Xbox360(well duh, it's BB only).
You may be able to get away with Dial-up on the PC, I think someone around here tried the beta with dial-up, but it was really laggy. Not something you'd want to play with.

I would not reccommend getting satalite because it has really bad latency. Not good for playing games.
BB isn't very expensive and is well worth the money. I do not understand how people can live with dial-up if they want to play games.
And seriously, if there is no BB in your area just move. I would.

Vetsent
Jul 3, 2006, 12:33 AM
On 2006-07-02 20:16, PhotonCat wrote:
You are going to most likely need BB if you are playing the PS2 version(They DO require a minimum connection speed to connect with BB only games) and Xbox360(well duh, it's BB only).
You may be able to get away with Dial-up on the PC, I think someone around here tried the beta with dial-up, but it was really laggy. Not something you'd want to play with.

I would not reccommend getting satalite because it has really bad latency. Not good for playing games.
BB isn't very expensive and is well worth the money. I do not understand how people can live with dial-up if they want to play games.
And seriously, if there is no BB in your area just move. I would.

First of all,I'm glad the PC version "might" get away with Dial-Up.I'm getting the PC version.Second,I'd like to ask that PC beta test player some questions about how bad and what he/she had for dial-up.Third,I'm a teen at home who can't just ask my parents to move a few miles just to get BroadBand.

Dahilia
Jul 3, 2006, 12:33 PM
I've played MMOs, all on dialup. I played World of Warcraft just fine on dialup just fine for almost a year; ran like hot butter. The only issue I had with lag was when I was in Alterac Valley, an 80-player battle. In the center of the battlefield, there would be 60+ players trying to kill one another. Therefore, you had a huge pool of people trying to talk to the server. Even people with broadband had an issue with this spot sometimes (though it was still playable for them). On the other hand, Ironforge, a painfully crowded city, may have about that much in on spot. Lag wasn't *nearly* as bad- all people were doing was walking, talking, and emoting. As long as your computer had good memory, it could be handled.

Now, if PSU is going to be ALL 80 player battles, yes, it will be an issue. If PSU is going to be a bunch of streaming graphics (which we know it won't be; the only game I know of like that is Second Life) then it will be an issue.

Even in towns, there shouldn't be a problem. At least no problem compared to what someone born and bred on broadband couldn't handle for 2 seconds. If PSU were open world, then there would be concern for worry. But since it's more like Guild Wars, it should be just fine. If I can run in 20-person parties in other games just fine, then I'm sure a 6-person won't phase a dialup user.

It irritates me when people (^_^Saner^_^) think dialup is unplayable and crippling. To them, yes, they are used to faster connection. And too cheap to get faster connection? Thank you for those who said it for me: some of us can't get it due to location. Unless it were for career purposes, it would be exspensive to move just to get faster connection for a game. Besides, it's much cheaper to bother the phone company until they extend the lines into your area. I would move, but with being in art college AND paying on loans while I'm enrolled, I kind of like having my bills paid and not starving; I can't afford to move right now. It sucks; I can afford DSL and cable, but it just doesn't extend out here.

I think the only issue one would worry about is consistent connection. My dialup connection is amazingly consistent, but it can vary for area and modem. Broadband and DSL is be more stable, but I've noticed that when it's out, it is OUT. But if it's like PSO, with getting booted from a party during a quest and unable to re-enter, then I understand the need for wanting something more stable.

I would be more worried about hardware specs than I would be about internet connection on the PC version. Any beta would also probably laggier than the full release (I experienced this with Blue Burst. It ran infinetly better for me once it went p2p). We must also consider the server and player's location, too.

Whatever the answer will be, it'll be a very rough estimate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dahilia on 2006-07-03 10:39 ]</font>

MagicPink
Jul 3, 2006, 03:22 PM
The "Broadband (recommended) " may mean that the game will only work online if you have broadband but, since there's an offline game as well, an internet connection isn't actually REQUIRED. It's just RECOMMENDED since that way you get the use of the full game.

I'll be surprised if 56K is an allowed speed for the console versions.

phunk
Jul 3, 2006, 03:26 PM
There's no reason anyone should still have 56k in the year 2006.

ajenteks
Jul 3, 2006, 03:34 PM
On 2006-07-03 13:26, phunk wrote:

Well, the cable and phone monopolies are asshats and need to get broken up because they do ignore rural regions.

That said, it's really not my problem. You can't or don't want to move to somewhere that has broadband available, fine, but reading pissing and moaning about having cake and wanting to eat it too gets old, as does crying about descrimination.

phunk
Jul 3, 2006, 03:35 PM
On 2006-07-03 13:34, ajenteks wrote:

Well, the cable and phone monopolies are asshats and need to get broken up because they do ignore rural regions.

That said, it's really not my problem. You can't or don't want to move to somewhere that has broadband available, fine, but reading pissing and moaning about having cake and wanting to eat it too gets old, as does crying about descrimination.

Okay, let me rephrase that then.

No one that lives outside of a rural region should not have dial-up in the year 2006.

ajenteks
Jul 3, 2006, 03:37 PM
On 2006-07-03 13:35, phunk wrote:

No one that lives outside of a rural region should not have dial-up in the year 2006.

Amen

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ajenteks on 2006-07-03 13:38 ]</font>

phunk
Jul 3, 2006, 03:49 PM
Heh

Dahilia
Jul 3, 2006, 04:45 PM

But it doesn't hurt to know how the experience will be on dialup, either. A person will "just ask" and will likely get the "lawl get broadband cheapo" commentary. Now, THAT is also getting old. If we could get it, we would. 95% of the issue is ALWAYS location.

If it's unplayable for a dialup user, no big deal; at least we know before we waste our money. If it is playable, woohoo, we have a new game. Simple as that.

ajenteks
Jul 3, 2006, 05:08 PM
On 2006-07-03 14:45, Dahilia wrote:

But it doesn't hurt to know how the experience will be on dialup, either. A person will "just ask" and will likely get the "lawl get broadband cheapo" commentary. Now, THAT is also getting old. If we could get it, we would. 95% of the issue is ALWAYS location.

If it's unplayable for a dialup user, no big deal; at least we know before we waste our money. If it is playable, woohoo, we have a new game. Simple as that.

Fair enough. I'd be lying if I said it didn't all seem pretty silly and star-eyed-dreamy at this point to maintain any hope that a game designed for three platforms, two of which are consoles with no compatability with dial-up modems whatsoever, will be playable in the real-world sense of the word and not just in legalese.

VioletSkye
Jul 3, 2006, 05:20 PM

Yeah, I'm quite sure my 80 year old grandmother who goes on the web twice a week to read a few emails needs to spend more money for broadband http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

What some of you phail to realize is that even in areas where broadband IS available, it isn't always the best choice for every single person. My grandmother pays $4.90 a month through DialStream and it works great for what she uses it for. Even with a special offer from a place like Comcast (which would be $19.99 a month for the first 6 months) it's still 4 times more and once the special is over you're looking at about $45 a month which is almost 10 times what she currently pays.

Working as a certified computer technician (A+ and Network+ certified as well as an MCSE for server 2003 and an MCSA for Windows 2000) I fix people's computers' day in and day out, and I can tell you first hand, across a wide spectrum of customers, that there are still many, many people still on dialup and perfectly happy with it. If you still live at home and your parents belong in that category, getting them to spring for a broadband service may not be easy/possible. I suppose if you were willing to pay for, or at least split the cost of broadband, it may be an easier sell, but it you don't have a job and don't have the funds then that's a moot point.

My main point is that dialup still serves a purpose (at least until we can catch up with other countries where broadband is much less expensive and more widely available.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-03 15:54 ]</font>

Sev
Jul 3, 2006, 05:46 PM
You can really expect anyone to understand this day and age, it's almost ridiculous how clueless and blind most people are. If you were living at home, I'm sure if you'd ask your parents to move so you can have broadband, they'd slap you. I know I would. Hard.

The Beta isn't exactly a reliable source for information on Dial Up connection if I'm not mistaken. They did have problem, but they were connecting to servers in Japan. Since we aren't going to be connected with them, I'd assume that our servers would be around here in the US. You would think that would help a 56k connection a good bit. You're best bet, is to wait for the game to come out, and either let someone use your ISP to test Dial Up or find someone who bought it and is using Dial Up to see how it plays. It may be be, it may not be bad. The short answer is that no one knows for sure how it's going to be, and anyone without Dial Up is going to say "It won't work" - Well... I guess not everyone but most people.

If by some miracle a better connection moves to your area, I'd suggest you try to upgrade. Until then, I'd stay away from trying to push this issue. You can if you want to, but the responses ain't gonna get any better.

Jaleigha
Jul 3, 2006, 05:51 PM
I'm one of the lucky ones, we got broadband a year ago. Before that we had satelite for our tv, and it truly sucked. We were consistently getting "searching for signal". I can't even imagine trying to play a game with that going on all the time. There is still lots of places where broadband isn't available, and I wouldn't recommend satelite for them.

PSO wasn't to bad with 56k people playing. It might not be bad, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Neural_Nebula
Jul 4, 2006, 04:35 PM
Uch, dial-up... (http://dialupomg.ytmnd.com/) was so sick of that noise, cluttering my room with a clacking cacophony. Good thing some folks stepped up to open some cyber-speedsters' eyes when it comes to acquiring broadband - saves me some typing time too, or most likely this would have 'blossomed' into a longwinded drawl.

I for one had a hell of a time getting broadband where I am, had to pester and irk BT to get the damned lines extended and my persistence paid off. However it's not all a success story... the speed seemed to cap at around 300k despite running on AOHell Platinum - only on rare occasions it would hover around 710k - so I cut down to Gold... - it was only later I was informed that my line was not capable of handling higher speeds. -_-;

I got yelled at for having a 56k modem while I played Horizons... but at least I had my sympathizers to cover for me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Kyuu
Jul 4, 2006, 06:22 PM
On 2006-07-04 14:35, Neural_Nebula wrote:
the speed seemed to cap at around 300k despite running on AOHell Platinum

Even if your line could handle higher speeds, you're shooting yourself in the foot by running that PoS piece of software on your computer. I was under the impression that AOL doesn't even offer actual internet service anymore, but is only a "content provider," meaning you're basically paying them to get access to their instant messenger service (which you can d/l and access for free via AIM) and for really not much else.

Moral of the story: Do not use AOL unless there is absolutely no other choice, and I can't imagine any situation where you'd have no other choice except if you have ignorant parents making the decision.

ajenteks
Jul 4, 2006, 06:55 PM
On 2006-07-04 16:22, Kyuu wrote:

I was under the impression that AOL doesn't even offer actual internet service anymore, but is only a "content provider," meaning you're basically paying them to get access to their instant messenger service (which you can d/l and access for free via AIM) and for really not much else.

Actually, you're paying to see whatever ads they're being paid to show you. It's a brilliant racket, if only for the short-run.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ajenteks on 2006-07-04 17:12 ]</font>

Inazuma
Jul 4, 2006, 07:11 PM
AOL is only used by ppl who dont know any better. i suggest getting rid of it rite away. it makes you look bad.

Sevenfold
Jul 4, 2006, 08:10 PM
On 2006-07-04 17:11, Inazuma wrote:
AOL is only used by ppl who dont know any better. i suggest getting rid of it rite away. it makes you look bad.

*claps*

Dahilia
Jul 4, 2006, 10:37 PM
On 2006-07-04 18:10, Sevenfold wrote:

On 2006-07-04 17:11, Inazuma wrote:

*claps*

Vetsent
Jul 5, 2006, 12:46 AM

When did I ever "piss and moan" about it?All I did was ask a question that had been frustrating me,not complain about BB.

ajenteks
Jul 5, 2006, 12:58 AM
On 2006-07-04 22:46, Vetsent wrote:

When did I ever "piss and moan" about it?All I did was ask a question that had been frustrating me,not complain about BB.

When did I ever say that you specifically were? My initial response in this topic wasn't even about that, but then there were people replying with excuses about why there are players without broadband options and whatnot, and that's the sob-story I don't feel like agreeing with.

EnixBelmont
Jul 5, 2006, 12:59 AM
No one has been pissing and moaning on this topic.

That said, I had AOL dial-up forever until last christmas, when I got my own computer and comcast. My mom still has AOL and thier sucktastic service, but it doesnt effect me anymore, so whatever ^_^

Vetsent
Jul 5, 2006, 01:19 AM
On 2006-07-04 22:58, ajenteks wrote:

On 2006-07-04 22:46, Vetsent wrote:

When did I ever say that you specifically were? My initial response in this topic wasn't even about that, but then there were people replying with excuses about why there are players without broadband options and whatnot, and that's the sob-story I don't feel like agreeing with.

Here...

"That said, it's really not my problem. Youcan't or don't want to move to somewhere that has broadband available, fine, but reading pissing and moaning about having cake and wanting to eat it too gets old, as does crying about descrimination."

By correct use of the word "you" it seems you were telling me and some other people that too,since it's directive is too an uncontrolled mass.

ajenteks
Jul 5, 2006, 01:50 AM
On 2006-07-04 23:19, Vetsent wrote:

By correct use of the word "you" it seems you were telling me and some other people that too,since it's directive is too an uncontrolled mass.

Actually, I was "telling" everyone who read it. That doesn't mean that what was said actually applies to them personally. I probably should have thrown an "If" in front of that, but eh. This is a message board, not an English class, and reading comprehension or lack thereof is fun.

Nai_Calus
Jul 5, 2006, 02:45 AM
Yeah. See. I live in the foothills. (Silly idiot Southerners, 2500 feet is NOT in the mountains, lawl, Appalachian Mountains my arse) See, I live in a city where the height of shopping is literally Wal-Mart(Which is where I work, urgh). Now, there is broadband in SOME parts of this shithole of a town. But well. We lived in the hind end of nowhere. Then we needed to move. And guess what? My sole, only criteria for a new place was broadband availability. So my dad looks at ONE place, falls in love with it or somesuch bullcrap, ignores my protests about hating it(Old, lived in by a smoker who had indoor/outdoor pets which here equals flea eggs in the carpeting that have now hatched and oh god the itch), urgh. We ask about broadband, old woman owner obviously knows fuckshit, says her former live-in boyfriend had some kind of 'fast download' service that wasn't sattellite. This obviously does not convince me. No cable, not enough people on this craphole excuse of a street. Not DSL either, come to find out later after dad rushed to get the one year(grr) lease signed. It's probably... Wireless.

Now, you have to understand what an unbelievable RIP-OFF this wireless crap is.

Installation fees are around $300+ no matter who you go with. Speeds are either 1Mbps download or 2Mbps download, and that's the usual 'maybe, depending on signal'. Now, presumably this operates from some kind of towers, probably rented cellphone towers, or ones placed near them. My cellphone doesn't work for shit here. Supposedly we have a potential line of sight to two towers, according to the one company dad called.

So the monthly rates. Well, get this crap. The one company's supposed max is 2Mbps. Well, their plans make that worthless. The cheapest plan is 39.95 a month. This gets you 650MB of bandwidth. Yes, you heard me right. Less data than fits on a CD. Now, children, for a while we used a cellphone to connect at about dialup speeds, the connection program for which told me my usage without me having to actually look for it. On an average day, the 'recieved' amount was about 40MB. You do the math. Oh, but it's only 26.95 per gig after that! The cheapest plan that gave you even remotely close to a sane amound of bandwidth was 69.95 a month, and 18.95 a gig over. Urgh.

There's another company that only offers 1Mbps, but they offer an unlimited plan! ...For $100 a month.

And I can't find anything much on google to tell me if such a solution were I to have unlimited amounts of money to waste on it would actually work for gaming, or if you'd run into the same damn latency problem with Sattellite.

No, I can't move out on my own. This is a tourist town and rent would be about what I make a month. As it is, with simply making my car and insurance payments, gas(Tourist town in the foothills. Gas is 30 cents more a gallon than in the valley, averages 3.39/gallon to 3.69), food and whatever incidentals/emergencies come up, I STILL live paycheck to paycheck. -_-;

So yeah. STFU and go live in the real world. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif If I could have broadband, I'd fricking starve myself a week a month to pay for it myself if I had to, but I CAN'T. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Neural_Nebula
Jul 5, 2006, 06:40 AM
Eh... it WILL be gone soon since I will be moving a little later this year, (so not much point in changing now) and thus jumping off that holey ol' ship - notice that I spoke ill of it, and not jumping around with joy raising some hoopla. I already got berated by enough people in the past to know better anyway...

Yeah, I still reside in my parents' house so when the internet came along I was just like "Yeah-yeah internet, AOL, whatever..." *dismissive wave.* Wasn't much of a joint decision; I just went along with it - I just wanted to get online, stat. Whenever I shift to the new household I'll be paying for my own part of the keep, and so I will have condenmed AOL to the dreadful past by signing up with a new ISP - I have some noted down that are worth considering.

Ikubi
Jul 5, 2006, 09:09 AM
>_> People are acting as if broadband is all that great. I just recently got DSL, and everytime there is a storm my connection craps out(it has been storming the past week >_<). And as many times as I've been DC'ed from games because of that and random "updates" from my service provider, I would prefer my Dial-up. At least I knew why i wasn't getting service all of a sudden. -_-;

So it really doesn't matter, you're gonna have problems with it either way.

Sevenfold
Jul 5, 2006, 11:02 AM
On 2006-07-05 07:09, Ikubi wrote:
>_> People are acting as if broadband is all that great. I just recently got DSL, and everytime there is a storm my connection craps out(it has been storming the past week >_<). And as many times as I've been DC'ed from games because of that and random "updates" from my service provider, I would prefer my Dial-up. At least I knew why i wasn't getting service all of a sudden. -_-;

So it really doesn't matter, you're gonna have problems with it either way.

Mmm......Id change providers. O_o

Ikubi
Jul 5, 2006, 11:08 AM
xD
Yeah, thats what everyone keeps telling me...since i'm working, i could convince my mom to switch. ;O

Zinsian
Jul 5, 2006, 02:05 PM
Broadband Companies are attempting to extend the reach of their services everyday. Only thing you can do, is wait if it is not readily available.

Dahilia
Jul 5, 2006, 09:21 PM
On 2006-07-05 12:05, Zinsian wrote:
Broadband Companies are attempting to extend the reach of their services everyday (that's what they want you to belive, though). Only thing you can do, is get a reality check and prepare to hold your local communications monopoly hostage until they agree to extend to your area.

Fixed.

Vetsent
Jul 5, 2006, 11:17 PM
On 2006-07-05 19:21, Dahilia wrote:

On 2006-07-05 12:05, Zinsian wrote:
Broadband Companies are attempting to extend the reach of their services everyday (that's what they want you to belive, though). Only thing you can do, is get a reality check and prepare to hold your local communications monopoly hostage until they agree to extend to your area.

Fixed.

Right-O.If that was true(the "extending everyday $#1T" they want you to believe) then I would see some type of work being done.What are you,a rep. for some BroadBand companny.If so then your higher-ups lie to you daily.

Ian-KunX,how big is the population of where you live?I live "near" a 300+ population town(not official)and we don't even have a Wal-Mart.#E11,we don't even have any type of store beyond the Mennonite-run general store.I think my connection may be even worse.

Zinsian
Jul 6, 2006, 11:39 PM
LoL i said they were attempting. I never said they were succesful. (or cared)

MagicPink
Jul 7, 2006, 01:03 PM

And there's no reason anyone over the age of 10 would form a ridiculous opinion like yours.

Vetsent
Jul 9, 2006, 12:43 AM
On 2006-07-07 11:03, MagicPink wrote:

And there's no reason anyone over the age of 10 would form a ridiculous opinion like yours.

Make that anyone over the age of 8.

Vetsent
Jul 24, 2006, 11:19 PM
I know this is kind of a topic revival and is double-posting,but I thought this would make it easier for those who have already read it before.
-----------------------------------------------------
"PC System Recommendations:
Required/Recommended
Operating System-Windows 2000 with SP4
Windows XP with SP2
CPU-Pentium 4 1.6/GHz Pentium 4 2.6 GHz
RAM 256 MB/512 MB
Disk Space-9 GB
Video Card-3D Card with 64 MB of VRAM/3D Card with 128 MB of VRAM
DVD Drive-DVD Drive capable of reading 2 Layer Discs
DirectX-DirectX 9.0c
Connection-Broadband above 256 kbps"
-----------------------------------------------------

I know it says PC recommendations at the top as the title,but below it says required/recommended,and a BroadBand connection is under required!Now I'm all confused again.Was everyone wrong or is this some typo?

Dahilia
Jul 24, 2006, 11:49 PM
What the hell?
So either the patches are going to be THAT huge, or talking to the server is going to be THAT high in demand. Hmm.

Edit: Or that built-in voice chat feature (if it's finalized). Yeah, that'd do it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dahilia on 2006-07-24 21:52 ]</font>

Kyuu
Jul 25, 2006, 12:06 AM
I wouldn't take that at face value. You will, most likely, be able to get online with dial-up. Of course, I can't say whether or not it will be playable, but that depends on a whole crapload of different things that are indeterminable until the servers are up and running at capacity.

People are able to play a game like WoW with dial-up connections, and I'm willing to bet a game like that, with many more people present at a time, usually, and a persistent world, would use a whole lot more packets than a game like PSU. The only thing that could possibly be more demanding is the real-time combat system.

And there's no built-in voice chat except in the 360 version. We know that for certain. It's been mentioned in an interview or two.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-07-24 22:07 ]</font>

Vetsent
Jul 25, 2006, 12:17 AM
On 2006-07-24 22:06, Kyuu wrote:
I wouldn't take that at face value. You will, most likely, be able to get online with dial-up. Of course, I can't say whether or not it will be playable, but that depends on a whole crapload of different things that are indeterminable until the servers are up and running at capacity.

People are able to play a game like WoW with dial-up connections, and I'm willing to bet a game like that, with many more people present at a time, usually, and a persistent world, would use a whole lot more packets than a game like PSU. The only thing that could possibly be more demanding is the real-time combat system.

And there's no built-in voice chat except in the 360 version. We know that for certain. It's been mentioned in an interview or two.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-07-24 22:07 ]</font>

And since the 360 servers are seperate,that means there is no way that they could interfere with eachother

Dahilia
Jul 25, 2006, 12:25 PM
Oh, OK. My friend wasn't specific when they told me about the voice chat feature.

Kyuu:

That being said, I think if I could do 40-person PVE raid parties on WoW on dialup with no problems (WoW being real-time as well), PSU's 6 party shouldnt be a problem for anyone also on dialup.

Cruisectrl
Jul 25, 2006, 01:12 PM
i didnt bother reading all the posts but heres a reply to the first few:

If your usin dial up im gonna kick you in the throat

Im glad thats settled

Vetsent
Jul 25, 2006, 06:28 PM
On 2006-07-25 11:12, Cruisectrl wrote:
i didnt bother reading all the posts but heres a reply to the first few:

If your usin dial up im gonna kick you in the throat

Im glad thats settled

Well,if you would have read all the posts you would have saved yourself some embarrassment,because that kind of idea is reckless.Think about it after reading the rest of the posts.Besides,it's good for your brain;).

Kyuu
Jul 25, 2006, 09:21 PM
On 2006-07-25 10:25, Dahilia wrote:

That being said, I think if I could do 40-person PVE raid parties on WoW on dialup with no problems (WoW being real-time as well), PSU's 6 party shouldnt be a problem for anyone also on dialup.

WoW's combat system isn't real-time action in the same way that PSU's is. PSU has to deal with all sorts of things like hit zones and distances and all sorts of things that WoW doesn't have to deal with. When you're locked onto a target, you can't miss (I mean a real-time space miss, not a miss generated from the battle-system), even with projectiles (i.e. fireballs and arrows will curve to hit an enemy even if it moves). It'd take a while to describe all the differences between how combat in a game like WoW or FFXI works as opposed to PSU (not to mention I'd ramble and probably just confuse everyone including myself), but trust me. PSU's combat is much more complex, and requires a lot more sharing of information between players' computers and the server. Not to mention that PSU's AI, while not the brightest, is light-years ahead of the incredibly simplistic AI routines employed by WoW and FFXI and similar MMOs.

Oh and Cruisectrl, until you make a charitable organization that pays for everyone's broadband (and for the resources for the service providers to extend DSL/cable services to every square inch of the planet), please refrain from making derogatory remarks about people who have to use dial-up. Threatening to kick their throats is even more childish than a derogatory remark. If you're unable to contribute anything else, then kindly don't say anything.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-07-25 19:24 ]</font>

Cruisectrl
Jul 25, 2006, 09:59 PM
first off, it was a joke.

Second off, using dialup will probably only effect your gameplay and my graphics. i didnt even know it was stil around! but w/e. I'll probably tell you the people who join your games connection speed so ill probably boot dialups

Kyuu
Jul 25, 2006, 10:38 PM
Anyone else's use of dial-up will not affect your graphics, as connection speed and graphics are not correlated. Also, while broadband connectivity is, of course, on the rise, dial-up is probably still the most prevalent means of connecting to the internet. Not everyone wants to pay 4 times more for a broadband connection, and not everyone lives in an area where it's even available. If you're not going to put at least a modicum of effort into having a little knowledge about something before you comment on it, then you shouldn't be surprised if someone calls you out on your ignorance.

Secondly, threatening to kick someone in the throat is what you'd call poor taste in a joke.

And have fun playing alone, as few reasonable people would join a game where the leader would boot people for no better reason than because they have dial-up. This is of course assuming a dial-up connection will be playable on PSU (and if it's not, then there's not much to worry about since no one with dial-up will be playing in the first place).

Saner
Jul 25, 2006, 10:56 PM
dial-up will see everyone else 'warping' and broadband will see dial-up warping here and there maybe.

but there is a difference in connection speed definitely, and people will see that difference online.

Vetsent
Jul 29, 2006, 02:01 AM
On 2006-07-25 20:56, Saner wrote:
dial-up will see everyone else 'warping' and broadband will see dial-up warping here and there maybe.

but there is a difference in connection speed definitely, and people will see that difference online.

Saner,can you tell me what you think the best dial-up offer out there is?I think Earthlink and the EarthLink Accelerator are the best.

Kyuu
Jul 29, 2006, 02:16 AM
On 2006-07-29 00:01, Vetsent wrote:

Saner,can you tell me what you think the best dial-up offer out there is?I think Earthlink and the EarthLink Accelerator are the best.

Although I have no experience with dial-up services (at least not for a long time), the "accelerator" services they offer don't actually speed up your connection at all, it just uses a bunch of tricks, like compressing images, to reduce the amount of data that has to be transmitted to and from your computer to make web-browsing faster. It won't speed up file downloads, nor will it affect your latency while playing an online game.

Sorry if this is stuff you already knew, just like to make sure people are informed.

Here's a good HowStuffWorks article about it: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/high-speed.htm.

JeDiObiWoN
Jul 29, 2006, 10:42 AM
u dont need broadband 2 play pso its say on the case ( xboxlive Needed ) Bull $hit thats all u need is an xboxlive accnt on your xbox can there u can play. but u only can play offline http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Vetsent
Jul 30, 2006, 11:00 PM
On 2006-07-29 08:42, JeDiObiWoN wrote:
u dont need broadband 2 play pso its say on the case ( xboxlive Needed ) Bull $hit thats all u need is an xboxlive accnt on your xbox can there u can play. but u only can play offline http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

First of all,this is PSU,not PSO.Second of all,I'm most likely not going to be playing it on the XBOX(let alone the 360).Third,I know I don't need BroadBand,just read the rest of the topic,it's been said a couple of times.Last,but sure as hell not least,spell a little better.You have to be at least 13 to join this site(unless you lied when it asked you thats),so I hope that isn't how you spell at that age.

I was asking in overall terms(I'll need the accelerator to visit some stuff on my own so just don't count it.),is EarthLink with/or without the Accelerator the best.Thanks for any answer.

VAL-0251
Jul 31, 2006, 10:58 AM
On 2006-07-01 19:17, Saner wrote:

ya we can't allow 56k people ruin the fun just because they are too cheap to get broadband. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

unless it's Chutes and Ladders, broadband is the only decent way to experience these online games.

I guess it never occurred to you that there are some places that just plain are not serviced by broadband providers.

There's millions of people -- 45% of Americans, actually -- that have NO broadband access at ALL. Not at home, not at work, nowhere. That 45% doesn't include people who drive 30 minutes to work, have broadband at work, and can't get it back at their house.

So I'd suggest you shut your trap about people being 'too cheap' when there are more people than you can probably count that are 100% unable to get broadband.

ShinMaruku
Jul 31, 2006, 03:53 PM
All I have to say is dial-up is a crime.
As to weather this is handlable with dial up, it will be like running BR on my old compac..... (Living hell)
For somebody like me, dial up is unusable for all the stuff I do.
boradband where I live at it's cheapest is about $17-$35 a month so it's affordable. Now if you are unable to have boradband in your area, chalk that up to der wille zur macht.
in light of this all this crazy digital distrbution is crap!

Vetsent
Jul 31, 2006, 09:27 PM
On 2006-07-31 13:53, ShinMaruku wrote:
All I have to say is dial-up is a crime.
As to weather this is handlable with dial up, it will be like running BR on my old compac..... (Living hell)
For somebody like me, dial up is unusable for all the stuff I do.
boradband where I live at it's cheapest is about $17-$35 a month so it's affordable. Now if you are unable to have boradband in your area, chalk that up to der wille zur macht.
in light of this all this crazy digital distrbution is crap!

Dial-up is not available over most of America,only near Urban areas and big businesses that decide to move themselves out to the country(that is how my friend Superchicken,a new member,gets BroadBand).Actually,you could do a lot of things without BroadBand,like for example,post and be active on PSO-World.