PDA

View Full Version : How long will it last?

vox3om
Jul 2, 2006, 11:53 PM
Now I know that we all hope and dream that PSU will last FOREVER! but in reality it wont. Does anyone think that it will stand up to YEARS? meaning not just a few months? I know that I will not be in the country during the release for about 2 months. yeah 2 months isn't a long time, but its long enough to get into the game too late. So tell me what you HONESTLY think...

ajenteks
Jul 3, 2006, 12:07 AM
On 2006-07-02 21:53, vox3om wrote:
Now I know that we all hope and dream that PSU will last FOREVER! but in reality it wont. Does anyone think that it will stand up to YEARS? meaning not just a few months? I know that I will not be in the country during the release for about 2 months. yeah 2 months isn't a long time, but its long enough to get into the game too late. So tell me what you HONESTLY think...

I think when you log in after two months, there will be many people to call you a noob, and rub your face in all your noobish glory.

Kers
Jul 3, 2006, 12:23 AM
Downloadable missions will be released like what, every week or two? It looks like the online multiplayer doesn't really end so I hope to play it for a long time.

Ibuka
Jul 3, 2006, 12:26 AM
Depens i think... If your a leveler/rare weapons and items hunter then i see alot of levelers/rare hunters will have fun with this game like they did with PSO... Maybe even way longer... But if your a Battler/C-moder... I think you wouldn't stay as long as you would have like many did on PSO... Well i know the hardcore battlers wouldn't anyway... Normal game from what i heard is kinda like C-Mode where you can get a better rank in missions..
So i guess it really depends... But honestly i think you have nothing to worry about since your only gonna be gone 2 months... Heck i think alot of new people will get into PSU bout time you come back and i believe that the players that get the game when it first comes out will still be there when you return

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ibuka on 2006-07-02 22:35 ]</font>

Dre_o
Jul 3, 2006, 12:56 AM
Honestly? I say the game will only last as long as the PLAYERS don't go "OMG!! A NOO GAEM!!! LETSS GOO PLA IT!!!"

I'll play it as long as I can. Physically and financially.

vox3om
Jul 3, 2006, 01:05 AM
On 2006-07-02 22:07, ajenteks wrote:

I think when you log in after two months, there will be many people to call you a noob, and rub your face in all your noobish glory.

[/quote]

haha thanks ajenteks. hopefully my Nubness doesn't show so much. I'm a veteran of PSO, I'll probably catch on to it pretty quickly.

isahn80
Jul 3, 2006, 02:51 AM
If this game becomes a classic, like all Phantasy Star games before it, PSU will live a long and fruitful life.

As we all know, true classics never die.

I recently re-played Phantasy Star 4 and this 12-year old game STILL kicks ass!

ajenteks
Jul 3, 2006, 03:32 AM
On 2006-07-02 23:05, vox3om wrote:

haha thanks ajenteks. hopefully my Nubness doesn't show so much. I'm a veteran of PSO, I'll probably catch on to it pretty quickly.

Anytime, and yeah, I wouldn't really worry.

Zinsian
Jul 3, 2006, 04:57 AM
If the Leveling system is more difficult than all the other PS games than people will be hooked. Easyness lead some to boredom which leads to less people which is what kills the game.

EnixBelmont
Jul 3, 2006, 06:08 AM
It'll probably last me at least a few months....

_glowstiq_
Jul 3, 2006, 06:56 AM
Well, if it dies they can just remake it and release on new platforms with a tiny bit more content for the same price. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif LIKE THAT NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!

tank1
Jul 3, 2006, 07:02 AM
I see PSU lasting a loooong time (hopefully) but in any case aslong as all my old buddies are playing it ill be playing it.

F-o-x
Jul 3, 2006, 09:10 AM
I'm guessing two years at the very least. After that they'll more than likely release a new version or an expansion of some sort.

Pure-chan
Jul 3, 2006, 10:10 AM
On 2006-07-02 21:53, vox3om wrote:
I know that I will not be in the country during the release for about 2 months. yeah 2 months isn't a long time, but its long enough to get into the game too late. So tell me what you HONESTLY think...

If you want, I can help with rushing you when you do join. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

vox3om
Jul 3, 2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the offer Pure-Chan. However I'm in Moon's Cry, and I'm pretty sure they will be able to help me out when I join up. Also I like to take time and level (weird as that may sound)

chibiLegolas
Jul 3, 2006, 10:58 AM
2 months after the release isn't that long of a time. Don't forget, they'll be players who'll want to finish the offline game first before jumping online. Ppl who are restarting their characters to try out the different races/class combo. That and the inevitable x amount of players who have trouble signing online for the 1st time. Be it, HL issues, debit cards, internet cable, etc.

Players should be plenty. If the game is close enough to PSO, I'm planning to play it for years to come. Or until the next upgraded version.

cp99
Jul 3, 2006, 11:29 AM
Im still playing PSO after 5 years, I think PSU will easly last more than that.

Sevenfold
Jul 3, 2006, 11:39 AM
I give it into the years, assuming SEGA doesnt let hackers and dupers ruin the game again.

jungleking45
Jul 3, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'll give it 3-4 years of being really popular, then it'l go on for another 2-3 years as a ghost town.

AlaskaMan
Jul 3, 2006, 12:07 PM
that how long mmos usualy last

Pure-chan
Jul 3, 2006, 01:06 PM
"How long will it last?"

A Time-table of PSU if hacking persists, from a legit player's perspective:

First 2 Months = Well populated servers, friendly open games, etc. Exploits are well documented, the process of patching the game begins.

First 6 Months = excitement builds as race to max level becomes more competitive; dupes / level hacks begin to appear among select groups. First patches released.

First year = Rampant proliferation of dupes / every player over level X has identical overpowered weapon sets / a 35 to 60% attrition rate occurs as a direct result of the majorty of players acquiring all desired items and/or reaching max level. Mainstream PSU economy destroyed. Private PSU servers and dev tools are announced. Future patching by ST is scrapped.

Year 1.5 = Frustration results in escalating arguements between legit and non-legit players. Legits view duping as harmful, non-legits view legits as snobs. In an effort to insulate themselves from the inflation caused by flood of duped items, legit PSU players begin to voluntarily segregate themselves en masse.

Year 2 = The release of packet editing programs for PSU enable 'script kiddie'-style coders to run "stealth" programs; heralding the tipping point between threat and inevitability for destructive coding.

Year 2.5 = Crashing, corruption, widespread abuse. Fewer than 1000 people currently subscribed to PSU - never more than a few hundred logged on at any given time. Non-legit players run roughshod over the servers, purposely seeking out players still enjoying the game in order to harass them. New players are quickly inundated with duped and hacked items. Coding begins to appear on devices such as Action Replay. Locked games are vogue among legit players. Private PSU servers are made public to mainstream PSUers.

Year 3 = Game graveyard. Player volume is reduced to less than 300. "Busy" server blocks are now measured in 10's - not 100's. Remaining legit players cancel accounts, waiting for Phantasy Star Dimensions to be released, hoping that this time, sega will get it right.

Saner
Jul 3, 2006, 02:48 PM
On 2006-07-03 00:51, isahn80 wrote:
If this game becomes a classic, like all Phantasy Star games before it, PSU will live a long and fruitful life.

As we all know, true classics never die.

yup, masterpieces never get old.

ya PSU will last for years and years, even without updates, there will always be people playing it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

loo at PSO. the first one was just a temporary test that was only supposed to last a few months and that lasted for many successful years! , and the first game only had 4 main dungeons, 4 main bosses total.

phunk
Jul 3, 2006, 03:02 PM
PSO is still going strong, so I think that along answers your question. As for how long Sega decides to support it, thats another question entirely. Sega seems to be taking a more serious approach to PSU, security and content-wise. I feel that as long as the player-base is strong and continuing to grow, PSU will be around for a while; officialy or unofficial.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phunk on 2006-07-03 13:03 ]</font>

Saner
Jul 3, 2006, 03:04 PM
ya it'll definitely have 7+ years of prosperity and fun! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Sevenfold
Jul 3, 2006, 05:54 PM
On 2006-07-03 11:06, Pure-chan wrote:
"How long will it last?"

First 2 Months = Well populated servers, friendly open games, etc. Exploits are well documented, the process of patching the game begins.

First 6 Months = excitement builds as race to max level becomes more competitive; dupes / level hacks begin to appear among select groups. First patches released.

First year = Rampant proliferation of dupes / every player over level X has identical overpowered weapon sets / a 35 to 60% attrition rate occurs as a direct result of the majorty of players acquiring all desired items and/or reaching max level. Mainstream PSU economy destroyed. Private PSU servers and dev tools are announced. Future patching by ST is scrapped.

Year 1.5 = Frustration results in escalating arguements between legit and non-legit players. Legits view duping as harmful, non-legits view legits as snobs. In an effort to insulate themselves from the inflation caused by flood of duped items, legit PSU players begin to voluntarily segregate themselves en masse.

Year 2 = The release of packet editing programs for PSU enable 'script kiddie'-style coders to run "stealth" programs; heralding the tipping point between threat and inevitability for destructive coding.

Year 2.5 = Crashing, corruption, widespread abuse. Fewer than 1000 people currently subscribed to PSU - never more than a few hundred logged on at any given time. Non-legit players run roughshod over the servers, purposely seeking out players still enjoying the game in order to harass them. New players are quickly inundated with duped and hacked items. Coding begins to appear on devices such as Action Replay. Locked games are vogue among legit players. Private PSU servers are made public to mainstream PSUers.

Year 3 = Game graveyard. Player volume is reduced to less than 300. "Busy" server blocks are now measured in 10's - not 100's. Remaining legit players cancel accounts, waiting for Phantasy Star Dimensions to be released, hoping that this time, sega will get it right.

Thats definatley a bleak perspective on things. Although, with all these "anti-cheat" words floating around, I cant see it getting as bad as it used to. I pray you are wrong....

Sev
Jul 3, 2006, 05:59 PM
I don't plan on seeing anything aside from exploits ever being found in the game. Those are almost impossible to get rid of, there's always glitches. The only thing we can hope, is that those glitches can be fixed without breaking other things, or that they don't lead to anything that can harm a player or the game economy.

I give PSU 2 years until the next installment/expansion.

Pure-chan
Jul 3, 2006, 07:26 PM
"Thats definatley a bleak perspective on things. Although, with all these "anti-cheat" words floating around, I cant see it getting as bad as it used to. I pray you are wrong...."

I was kinda teasing, which is why I titled it, "A Time-table of PSU if hacking persists, from a legit player's perspective". I actually think that the game will pretty secure. However; if security holes are exposed, without ST addressing them, we will have problems much like those listed above.

Sevenfold
Jul 3, 2006, 07:50 PM
I get yah, it's just rather depressing thinking of it all unfolding like that again. True enough though that it all depends on ST spending more than a day fixing loop holes and bugs.

TheyCallMeJoe
Jul 3, 2006, 08:16 PM
After a full year it's peak will have occured, and the decline will have begun. It might not officially end until...well that's too speculative for me to be guessing. I give it 2 years till things get abysmal, put it that way.

Saner
Jul 3, 2006, 09:20 PM
nah the original PSO lasted longer than that.

PSU will definitely be fun and pure for at least 5+ years.

and even after that as long as there are servers, people online will continue to have a wonderful time! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

-Klaus-
Jul 3, 2006, 09:24 PM
Honestly speaking... this game looks pretty damn awesome.

I mean, it looks way better than FFXI, and FF lasted for years. It was a pretty damn crappy game in a lot of aspects,also. ...No offense to any hardcore fans.

So, all and all... I think PSU will last a few years, if they can somehow manage to release new content every so often. :]

Saner
Jul 3, 2006, 09:30 PM
well even without new content, it will still have strong support from veterans and newcomers too! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

plus it's more friendly and fair and fun than other online RPGs, and more charismatic too! so ya it's definitely last for years and years to come!

of course the pessimistic people who expect this and that and get bored easily will leave within 2 years,

but that won't be a bad thing since there will always be fun people online and stuff and new people will join eventually and the circle will continue with plenty of great entertainment and united communities for years and years! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

-Klaus-
Jul 3, 2006, 09:39 PM
"How long will it last?"

Well aren't you the optomistic one.

TheyCallMeJoe
Jul 3, 2006, 09:50 PM
On second thought...

That is true. PSO has lasted for 5+ years, even as new games have gotten increasingly more complex. To say that PSU would only last 2 years was shortsighted of me. I've never played online, so I must say I will be playing for a VERY long time to make up for all the time that i've missed http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Pure-chan
Jul 4, 2006, 01:52 AM
On 2006-07-03 19:39, -Klaus- wrote:

"How long will it last?"

Well aren't you the optomistic one.

Yes and no. I am actually optimistic about PSU being a much cleaner and more enjoyable community. All I'm saying is that if hacking persists unabated, (and that's a big *if*), then recent history would suggest that the above is the most likely course for PSU to take. In fact, all I did with that timeline was write down my recollection of the events that unfolded on GC, as I experienced them, then changed "PSO GC" to "PSU". That and I gave ST the benefit of the doubt by pushing the time-table out 6 months longer than what occured on GC, as a result of the new coding.

Phantasy Star is my favorite game series. Period. I'm excited ...anxious, for PSU to get here. That said, the lack of effort and capacity by ST in handling issues on PSO has not done the game justice to date. My hopes for PSU remain high, but not too high until shown a reason to think otherwise.

isahn80
Jul 4, 2006, 02:20 AM
If and when the online component of PSU dies off, there's still the single-player story mode.

That alone (assuming the offline story is good), will assure the game has value for decades (I know for a fact there's people out there still playing PS1, an 18-year-old game, one of them recently being myself)!

Kasuke
Jul 16, 2006, 09:27 PM
Haha, look for me when you join up. I'll be one of the highest levels in the game at the time. (It's my goal.)

Kasuke
Jul 16, 2006, 09:33 PM
Dude, I still play super mario bros. If done right, a game is timeless.

Rei-San
Jul 16, 2006, 10:01 PM
I say PSU will last until the next online Phantasy Star game comes out. As long as there are Phantasy Star fans out there, PSU will live. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Tystys
Jul 16, 2006, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that PSU will keep getting new players as the years go by, just like PSO:BB has. If we're lucky enough, PSU could probably last until the next generation of consoles in released....by this I mean AFTER PS3 and Wii....but ofcourse that would mean no new PS games for like what....4-6 years? So I guess that would be bad luck too...

-Klaus-
Jul 16, 2006, 11:49 PM
Well, I think this thread is slightly pointless I mean really... the game hasn't come out yet and we're already thinking about how long it'll last. ¬ ¬;
Give it a break, seriously.

hypersaxon
Jul 16, 2006, 11:54 PM
On 2006-07-03 00:51, isahn80 wrote:

QFT

Pheromone
Jul 17, 2006, 09:51 AM
On 2006-07-03 19:20, Saner wrote:
nah the original PSO lasted longer than that.

PSU will definitely be fun and pure for at least 5+ years.

and even after that as long as there are servers, people online will continue to have a wonderful time! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

and it is not like you need to organize 40-man raids ~~ lol... all you need is 5 more players and you are GAME

Abaru-FP
Jul 17, 2006, 08:53 PM
PSO had a fraction of the content that PSU will have, and it lasted me several years. I'll probly grow into a pale, fat old man with this game.

Cruisectrl
Jul 18, 2006, 12:00 PM
Look back to PSO. It lasted at least 2 years. As a matter of fact I think people are still playin that.
As someone said in an earlier post - There will be downloadable quests almost every week. And when they did that on PSO, they made downloadable quests for years! And don't worry about being a noob because most people make new characters all the time in any game.

Aion_Clyuve
Jul 19, 2006, 08:18 PM
I'd say that PSU will definatly last for at least 6 to 9 years as long as ST keeps up antihacking patches.

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 19, 2006, 09:50 PM
you forgot one thing. The expansion disk.

The-King
Jul 19, 2006, 10:16 PM
I think PSU will last as long as PSO did, they'll probably release private servers, Make some new add-ons, maybe add a new planet, Maybe let us explore a new Ragol(Which would be the greatest) And with the downloadable quests, there will be better weapons besides the 20 we saw, this is 3 months until a game comes out people, if they releade it now, it wouldn't be as good as it will be in 3 months, this is just somethings our minds can think up, there'll be more most definetly

DoctorShasta
Jul 19, 2006, 10:16 PM
As long as the keep the hacks away, the quests coming, and the game as good as eps. 1&2 then I'm sure It'll last at least 3 years and probably more but after about 3 years I'll probably stop playing anyway haha