PDA

View Full Version : Post your system specs for PSU

Nedeti
Jul 3, 2006, 08:46 PM
Post your system speculation of witch you will be playing Phantasy Star Universe.

here is mine.

Videocard: EVGA GeForce 7600 GT KO 256MB x2 SLI
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer
Mainbord: ABIT KN8 SLI Socket 939
Memory: A-Data Dual Channel 1Gb/OCZ 512Mb
Soundcard: Sound BlasterX-Fi Platinum/Logitech
PSU: Ultra 500W X-Finity

Saner
Jul 3, 2006, 09:14 PM
System Specs: PS2. will run PSU perfectly since it's made for this system.

the ports for PC and Xbox360 will be great too, although performance for PC depends on specs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Sevenfold
Jul 3, 2006, 09:58 PM
My computer is in peices in a box somewhere between TX and CA so...Ill get back to you.

phunk
Jul 3, 2006, 10:07 PM
PC and X360.

VioletSkye
Jul 3, 2006, 10:17 PM
Haven't decided yet, but I will be waiting for the newer DX10 compatible Geforce 80 series or the R600 ATI series. Processor-wise, I'll wait and see how Intel does against AMD (it will for sure be Dual Core either way) and RAM will most likely be 2GB. I'll definitely be running either an SLI or Crossfire setup. I build gaming machines all year round for others, but since this one will be mine (and also a showpiece) I'll wait until around November or December when the new stuff is out to start purchasing my parts. If PSU comes out before that, I have 2 machines that will easily run it at max settings so I'm not worried about it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Inazuma
Jul 4, 2006, 12:22 AM
gonna order a top of the line pc at the end of this month.

specs will be something like this:

- intel conroe cpu (if it comes out soon, i cant wait forever)
- 2 gigs fastest ram i can get
- 2 of the latest nvidia cards (basically 4 cards since they count as 2 rite, i think)
- raptor hard drive
- nice soundcard
- dell 24inch widescreen lcd
- logitech g15 gamers keyboard
- logitech 5.1 speakers (decent ones)

VioletSkye
Jul 4, 2006, 12:43 AM
On 2006-07-03 22:22, Inazuma wrote:
gonna order a top of the line pc at the end of this month.

specs will be something like this:

- intel conroe cpu (if it comes out soon, i cant wait forever)
- 2 gigs fastest ram i can get
- 2 of the latest nvidia cards (basically 4 cards since they count as 2 rite, i think)
- raptor hard drive
- nice soundcard
- dell 24inch widescreen lcd
- logitech g15 gamers keyboard
- logitech 5.1 speakers (decent ones)

Why not build one yourself, you can do it for cheaper and get exactly what you want. Quad SLI is not currently supported yet (except by a few OEMs) but can be made to work somewhat on certain motherboards. The problem with getting a "top of the line" system from a company like Dell or Gateway is that they often lock the BIOS which means no OC. Even Alienware locks their BIOS.

Inazuma
Jul 4, 2006, 01:14 AM
i have a lot of money and dont want to take risks building my own machine. im going w/ falcon northwest btw.

VioletSkye
Jul 4, 2006, 01:22 AM
Cool, Falcon builds descent rigs http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

You may want to check out Voodoo PC (http://www.voodoopc.com/default.aspx) also.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-03 23:24 ]</font>

Sevenfold
Jul 4, 2006, 01:29 AM
http://www.ibuypower.com ftw

VioletSkye
Jul 4, 2006, 01:31 AM
On 2006-07-03 23:29, Sevenfold wrote:

ibuypower FTL. They suck http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Every review I've read about one of their machines is bad, not to mention the builds are VERY sloppy.

In fact HardOCP just did a review on one of their systems which you can find here:
http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA4NywxLCxoY29uc3VtZXI=

BTW, stay away from CyberPower also.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-03 23:35 ]</font>

PhotonCat
Jul 4, 2006, 01:52 AM

Have you ever even bought from CyberPower? You cannot trust some review site for actual honest reviews.
Sure, they may not be perfect, but what company is?

I have bought from CyberPower once and they where very reliable. The PC works fine, never had a problem with it and it has quality parts.

Not everyone can build a PC for themselves/or know someone who can. If people want to spend the bit extra for a pre-build there's nothing wrong with that. I would rather spend extra for a professionally built one than to buy the parts having no idea how to put it together, then break/short a part.

But if you can/know someone who can build a PC that is a better choice.

VioletSkye
Jul 4, 2006, 02:05 AM
Why wouldn't I be able to trust reviews from reputable sites? Also, it's a question of overall reliability. Both companies build cheap pcs that have a cheap feel and although I have not purchased from Cyberpower (mainly because I can build a pc that completely destroys any CyberPower built pc) I have worked on CyberPower systems in the past and I can say with 100% confidence that the quality of the build was not very good at all. If you had a good experience with them, then great, but there are FAR better companies to buy from that build much better quality machines for roughly the same price.

You may not believe this but working on people's pcs for as many years as I have, I have seen just about every type of pc from all of the major online PC builders as well as the off the self specials from places like BestBuy, Circuit City, Comp USA etc. I have personal experience working on these machines that over time gives me an overall idea as to what each company offers. I've fixed pcs from Dell, Gateway, HP, E-Machines, Sony, Toshiba, Compaq, Vector, Alienware, Falcon Northwest, Voodoo, Widow PC, Monarch, Velocity Micro, Acer, ABS, CyberPower and a TON of custom built pcs (some of which were done well, many of which were not lol.) I guess what I'm saying is, I'm going by personal experience also and by what I see in the field every single day.

Anyway, like I said, if you had a good experience with them, then cool. I don't dispute your experience and I'm glad everything worked well for you. I do think I have the right to point out issues with those companies though and also to let people know that better options are available. Take Monarch for example, whether you want a monster gaming machine or a descent midrange pc for casual gaming, they build really good pcs and are very competitive price-wise with places like CyberPower and ibuypower.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-04 00:21 ]</font>

Nedeti
Jul 4, 2006, 03:57 AM
for now my new system is at top shae http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif im ready for Phantasy Star Universe http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif my Japanese Verson should be arriving around 4days befor August 31st.

Shivore
Jul 4, 2006, 05:38 AM
My family have only ever bought from bouth Dell and Gateway, (except my brother, who built his own) and we have had terrible experiences with Gateway's quality and near non-existant customer service (beware the repeated deaths of power supplies for one, not to mention improper imaging.) Dell has always been good to us though.

My PC's specs:

Model: Dimension 4700
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz Hyper-threaded
Memory: 1 GB
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 6800 256MB

mitchm
Jul 4, 2006, 09:52 AM
heres my POS that i wont be using for PSU (i use my 360...)
Model: Compaq Presario S5000NX
Processor: Intel Pentium Celeron 2.5Ghz
Memory 1GB
Graphics: POS onboard nothing (used to have a ATI 256MB 9250 but that commited suicide on me)
Hard Drive: 320GB

overall POS computer unless i can upgrade my graphics card... heres the problem. Im running windows VISTA and its hard to find a graphics card for my computer that supports it... the ones that do i cant use cause i dont have the right slots... freaken SUCKS!

Sevenfold
Jul 4, 2006, 10:30 AM
On 2006-07-03 23:31, VioletSkye wrote:

ibuypower FTL. They suck http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Every review I've read about one of their machines is bad, not to mention the builds are VERY sloppy.

In fact HardOCP just did a review on one of their systems which you can find here:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-03 23:35 ]</font>

That sounds more like an opinion than anything else. I have owned several and still work with one. High quality and lasts a long time. As for your reviews, it sounds more like an opinion, Iv read plenty of "reviews" that say otherwise.

Nedeti
Jul 4, 2006, 11:38 AM
most of users here should change motherboard for PCI-E slots, new generation my friends

PhotonCat
Jul 4, 2006, 01:26 PM
On 2006-07-04 08:30, Sevenfold wrote:

On 2006-07-03 23:31, VioletSkye wrote:

That sounds more like an opinion than anything else. I have owned several and still work with one. High quality and lasts a long time. As for your reviews, it sounds more like an opinion, Iv read plenty of "reviews" that say otherwise.

The other thing about that "review" is that they obviously bought the PC to try and purposely make ibuypower (among other pre-build businesses) look bad, but it didn't go as they planned so they threw in other things.

They complain about getting a junky stock PSU, well what do they expect? They could of chose the option for a better one, but don't, then complain saying it is ibuypowers fault.
Then they don't include an OS on their system purposefully, then send it back when they could just of got a disc in the mail (or chose the option of one first) and then fuss that they keep it for over a month. Well, a month is a bit too long but they could have of avoided the whole situation in the 1st place.

It helps to read, ya?

Since there was nothing to really poke at, they added in other things like spending $19 for good wiring(although, yeah good wiring should always be done no matter what, but hey, your paying for their service), or what UPS does to the boxes.

And I really hate when people who can build their own sit and complain about how these companies "over-charge" for the PCs or how "they can build better". Well, how do you expect them to make a living? If they sell the PCs for what it cost to buy the parts they'd make no money. Would you seriously make PCs for a living all day if you got no profit for it? I didn't think so.
And saying you can "do better" is just arrogance in my eyes.

VioletSkye
Jul 4, 2006, 02:00 PM
A. Continue to buy crappy pcs from places like CyberPower and ibuypower if you want.

B. You shouldn't have to pay for good wiring as that is a VERY important part of any build.

C. Saying I can build better isn't arrogance, it's straight up fact. I'm sorry you don't feel like you can do something as simple as build your own pc, but don't take it out on me because you have to waste money having some lame company build one for you. Tell you what, the next time you buy a new pc, let me know the exact specs and I'll build one to match, then we'll run some benchmarks and see if my "arrogance" beats your little pc like a red-headed stepchild.

D. Don't wallow too much on that one review, because it was just a sample of what you can expect from that company. Even they said they had no issues with it running stable. The issue is the quality of the build. Anyone can sloppily piece together a pc and have it boot to the Windows desktop. It may even run well. But whether or not it is going to last is another thing completely. Shoddy wiring and poorly secured components DOES MATTER. You would know that if you were actually a qualified technician (and I'm sorry I guess I shouldn't assume, so I'll ask, do you have any type of certification whatsoever or any real world professional experience building pcs that would qualify you to say whether a pc is well built or not?) Didn't think so. Anyway, moving on, there are certain pc builders that you get used to seeing their work and cyberpower pcs that I have personally worked on were slapped together in a shoddy matter and were overall kinda cheap feeling. ERGO!!! I suggested BETTER companies to buy from that IMHO based on MY PERSONAL experience working on them, are overall better build machines.

When you have worked on and fixed thousands of pcs like I have, and have personal experience dealing with issues from those companies, get back to me and maybe you're opinion will mean something to me. Until then, you are no more qualified to make quality statements then my customers. Experience does matter, hate to break it to ya.

PS. @ Sevenfold. I'm sure you can find reviews contrary BUT I would rather trust a site like HardOCP or Guru 3D then some lameass review in PC Shopper that relies on ad revenue from companies like Cyberpower and ibuypower to stay in business. I wouldn't place too much stock in reviews from Computer Shopper, PC World or Smart Computing. I enjoy reading those magazines, but they aren't the most objective sources of info. Also realize, that pcs SPECIFICALLY sent to them for review are not indicitve of the same general quality that regular customers get. I'm pretty sure they took the time to make sure everything was fastened securely and that the wiring looked fantastic before sending it to them. One of the reasons I trust the HardOCP review is because they didn't state that they were a site looking to review their product.

As far as ibuypower was concerned they were just another Joe Shmoe who ordered one of their slop jobs. Did you even read that they shipped it incorrectly several times. Did you read that their tech support was garbage (although it is most places so thats not necessarily a strike against ibuypower specifically.) The main point is this, often times pc builders that submit their machines for review, take a lot of extra time fine tuning and spiffying up the build so that it looks impressive. Do you honestly think they take the same care and time on your machine that they do for a machine being submitted for review by a national magazine? Uh, no. They don't

Lastly, instead of arguing with me when you have zero experience with building a pc, you could stop being obstinate and ask for help building your own. I have helped several members here build their own pc and EVERY SINGLE ONE turned out great. Nothing beats looking through different cases and finding the one that really speaks to you and that you fall in love with. Nothing beats picking out exactly what you want. Nothing beats receiving your shiny new parts from UPS or whoever (it's like Christmas time lol.) And nothing beats putting that rig together by hand. Honestly, you will form an attachment to it that you can't get from buying a prebuilt machine. When you build it by hand, you know that rig intimately. You know everything about it and every nook and cranny. It truly is a great feeling. It's no longer "just a pc" it's now a part of you. It's something you can take pride in and showoff. It's something that gives you confidence. And for most people, it's something that gets a little addicitve. I promise you the first time you build a pc, you'll want to build another after that. You may even want to build one for a family member or friend http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

OK after re-reading my post, I realized I sounded kind of harsh. I'm not trying to discount what your personal experience with a particular company is. I wasn't there and I have no way of knowing how well your actual machine/s work that you bought from them. What I was trying to say is that I do know the difference between a good quality build and a sloppy one. It's not just ibuypower and cyberpower that perform sloppy wiring unless you pay extra for it, so I shouldn't make such a big deal about those 2 companies in particular. I've seen some pretty shoddy jobs done by local builders also, that was WAY worse. I take a lot of pride in my work (call it arrogance if you want) and it is something I get emotional about. Whether I'm doing a several thousand dollar gaming machine or an under $1000 casual or business pc, I always put the same amount of care and pride into it. And honestly, I would say a majority of my customers would never know the difference if I just slapped their parts together and shoved it out the door. But you know what, I would know, and that's not how I do business. Machines I build for people do matter to me and they are an extention of my knowledge and ability. And honestly, I often times have a hard time letting go of the machines I build for others. It may sound cheesy to you, but I don't care. I put everything I can into each one I build and it leaves my place with a little piece of me inside it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-04 12:40 ]</font>

Inazuma
Jul 4, 2006, 02:32 PM
VioletSkye knows his pcs. im glad we have someone like him on the boards.

PhotonCat
Jul 4, 2006, 02:44 PM
On 2006-07-04 12:00, VioletSkye wrote:
A. Continue to buy crappy pcs from places like CyberPower and ibuypower if you want.

B. You shouldn't have to pay for good wiring as that is a VERY important part of any build.

C. Saying I can build better isn't arrogance, it's straight up fact. I'm sorry you don't feel like you can do something as simple as build your own pc, but don't take it out on me because you have to waste money having some lame company build one for you. Tell you what, the next time you buy a new pc, let me know the exact specs and I'll build one to match, then we'll run some benchmarks and see if my "arrogance" beats your little pc like a red-headed stepchild.

D. Don't wallow too much on that one review, because it was just a sample of what you can expect from that company. Even they said they had no issues with it running stable. The issue is the quality of the build. Anyone can sloppily piece together a pc and have it boot to the Windows desktop. It may even run well. But whether or not it is going to last is another thing completely. Shoddy wiring and poorly secured components DOES MATTER. You would know that if you were actually a qualified technician (and I'm sorry I guess I shouldn't assume, so I'll ask, do you have any type of certification whatsoever or any real world professional experience building pcs that would qualify you to say whether a pc is well built or not?) Didn't think so. Anyway, moving on, there are certain pc builders that you get used to seeing their work and cyberpower pcs that I have personally worked on were slapped together in a shoddy matter and were overall kinda cheap feeling. ERGO!!! I suggested BETTER companies to buy from that IMHO based on MY PERSONAL experience working on them, are overall better build machines.

When you have worked on and fixed thousands of pcs like I have, and have personal experience dealing with issues from those companies, get back to me and maybe you're opinion will mean something to me. Until then, you are no more qualified to make quality statements then my customers. Experience does matter, hate to break it to ya.

PS. @ Sevenfold. I'm sure you can find reviews contrary BUT I would rather trust a site like HardOCP or Guru 3D then some lameass review in PC Shopper that relies on ad revenue from companies like Cyberpower and ibuypower to stay in business. I wouldn't place too much stock in reviews from Computer Shopper, PC World or Smart Computing. I enjoy reading those magazines, but they aren't the most objective sources of info. Also realize, that pcs SPECIFICALLY sent to them for review are not indicitve of the same general quality that regular customers get. I'm pretty sure they took the time to make sure everything was fastened securely and that the wiring looked fantastic before sending it to them. One of the reasons I trust the HardOCP review is because they didn't state that they were a site looking to review their product.

As far as ibuypower was concerned they were just another Joe Shmoe who ordered one of their slop jobs. Did you even read that they shipped it incorrectly several times. Did you read that their tech support was garbage (although it is most places so thats not necessarily a strike against ibuypower specifically.) The main point is this, often times pc builders that submit their machines for review, take a lot of extra time fine tuning and spiffying up the build so that it looks impressive. Do you honestly think they take the same care and time on your machine that they do for a machine being submitted for review by a national magazine? Uh, no. They don't

Lastly, instead of arguing with me when you have zero experience with building a pc, you could stop being obstinate and ask for help building your own. I have helped several members here build their own pc and EVERY SINGLE ONE turned out great. Nothing beats looking through different cases and finding the one that really speaks to you and that you fall in love with. Nothing beats picking out exactly what you want. Nothing beats receiving your shiny new parts from UPS or whoever (it's like Christmas time lol.) And nothing beats putting that rig together by hand. Honestly, you will form an attachment to it that you can't get from buying a prebuilt machine. When you build it by hand, you know that rig intimately. You know everything about it and every nook and cranny. It truly is a great feeling. It's no longer "just a pc" it's now a part of you. It's something you can take pride in and showoff. It's something that gives you confidence. And for most people, it's something that gets a little addicitve. I promise you the first time you build a pc, you'll want to build another after that. You may even want to build one for a family member or friend http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-04 12:29 ]</font>

You act like I was targetting my whole post towards you, when in fact I wasn't.

And don't single me out with an attitude just because I can't build a PC myself, believe me I would love to but I cannot because I do not know a single person who builds PCs to show me (because actual experience with learning is better than looking up old outdated info on the web).
I know I wasted money on a pre-build PC, but what could I have done?
If I could get all my money back and build my own right now I would.

VioletSkye
Jul 4, 2006, 02:46 PM
On 2006-07-04 12:32, Inazuma wrote:
VioletSkye knows his pcs. im glad we have someone like him on the boards.

Wow!!! Thanks Inazuma. That actually means a lot to me and I appreciate that hugely http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif And I'll credit Norvekh as well, he definitely knows his stuff as well and has been as much of an asset as I have (not that I consider my self an asset, but you know what I mean lol.)

I'm sorry if I started ranting for a moment. I've mellowed out alot over the years I've been a member here, but pc building is something I'm VERY passionate about and something that really matters to me, so sometimes I get a bit fanatical and carried away with it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Anyway back on topic and I'm sorry for taking this off topic. I promise not to bash any more pc companies, but I will continue to suggest builders that I know do good work http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

On 2006-07-04 12:44, PhotonCat wrote:
You act like I was targetting my whole post towards you, when in fact I wasn't.

And don't single me out with an attitude just because I can't build a PC myself, believe me I would love to but I cannot because I do not know a single person who builds PCs to show me (because actual experience with learning is better than looking up old outdated info on the web).
I know I wasted money on a pre-build PC, but what could I have done?
If I could get all my money back and build my own right now I would.

I sincerely apologize (and I really do mean that.) I got carried away when I should not have. If you ever do decide to build one, I'd be happy to give you totally detailed help and instruction and I'd be willing to bet Norvekh would as well. I know that it's not the same as having someone there in person, but I have total faith that you would be able to it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-04 12:56 ]</font>

turtle323
Jul 4, 2006, 03:48 PM
freak that all u need to do is get a new dell xp computer upgrade the graphic card and it will tell uif it is for gameing and your set because i just got one and i am runing WoW really easy( oh ya get the strongest xp)

PhotonCat
Jul 4, 2006, 04:14 PM
I sincerely apologize (and I really do mean that.) I got carried away when I should not have. If you ever do decide to build one, I'd be happy to give you totally detailed help and instruction and I'd be willing to bet Norvekh would as well. I know that it's not the same as having someone there in person, but I have total faith that you would be able to it

Thank you for the offer in help(and assurance that I could build it, But I'm always just afraid I will mess something up), But I don't think I will try and have another PC till a bit after Vista and DX10 cards are out for a while. But if I need any help I'll try here if any of you guys are still around.

And just for the record this is my PC:
AMD 64X2 4400+
7900GTX
2 GB RAM
160GB HDD
600WATT PSU
DVD burner
and a wave master case

Think I spent $2k on it... I'd love to know how much it woulda cost to buy all the parts and build it myself and see all the money I lost =O.

ajenteks
Jul 4, 2006, 04:24 PM
On 2006-07-04 14:14, PhotonCat wrote:

And just for the record this is my PC:
AMD 64X2 4400+
7900GTX
2 GB RAM
160GB HDD
600WATT PSU
DVD burner
and a wave master case

Think I spent $2k on it... I'd love to know how much it woulda cost to buy all the parts and build it myself and see all the money I lost =O.

Assuming that those are premium parts on there, for the RAM and whatnot, I doubt you got ripped off too badly. By the time that you spend researching and looking for deals and sales, the costs of shipping, and tax when you do it all yourself, I bet that the money spent on labor wasn't too outrageous. Plus, if you got a somewhat decent warranty in there, that's not too bad a deal at all.

skip_the_skpr
Jul 4, 2006, 04:33 PM
is the PSU comming out or the Game Cube or Wii??

VioletSkye
Jul 4, 2006, 05:33 PM
On 2006-07-04 14:33, skip_the_skpr wrote:
is the PSU comming out or the Game Cube or Wii??

I don't believe there are any current plans for it on any Nintendo systems, but who knows what the future will hold http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jack
Jul 4, 2006, 07:44 PM
AMD are dropping the prices of their Socket 939 processors at the end of this month, so I'll pick up an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ in a few weeks and overclock it to buggery. £90 for a dual-core processor which can reach 4800+ speeds is a bargain and a half. Come this Thursday, I'll also be ordering a Seagate SATA-II 250GB hard drive to replace the two 80GB IDE drives I have right now, and a black Antec P180 case. I love having a job which nets me £250 a week. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 3800+ (2.4GHz)
Memory: 2GB Corsair XMS3200 @ PC3520 (220MHz)
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB
Sound: Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4
Motherboard: ASRock 939Dual-SATA2

Sevenfold
Jul 4, 2006, 08:05 PM
Lmfao ok VioletSkye , obviously because you know me, I dont know how to build my PC. I really could care less about your knowledge and or opinion about ibuypower. Mine, does/has worked fine. I add my own parts and upgrade as I see fit over the years. Honestly, about 2 of the orignal parts I purchased from ibuypower are original. You can spout long ego tripped posts if you want. That doesnt make you or a million other people right. I like them, and will continue to do so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sevenfold on 2006-07-04 19:16 ]</font>

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 5, 2006, 01:47 AM
Intel P4 2.4ghz non-HT, 512kb l2 cache
1.5 gb PC800 RDram (4 dimms)
ATI All In Wonder 9600 (128 MB)
Turtlebeach Santa Cruz
Dell Dimension 8200

Rubesahl
Jul 5, 2006, 11:16 AM
Athlon 64 3700+ 2.40 Ghz
Ati x800pro 256Mb
1 gig ram 333mhz
SB Audigy 2 ZS

My PC is starting to show age already -sigh- I love my Ati x800 and I bought it as soon as it came out. Now if I want a new one, I'll have to change the MB for PCI Express >_> and the processor well... lets just say it got pwned even faster lol Still, with this I can play EQ2 in max settings when on the field (towns and any other busy areas slow down almost every computer O_O; ), and Doom 3 with the High Quality settings (the one before max quality anyways): Both with good framerate http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif So I'm pretty sure I'll run PSU close to max settings ;D

kazuma56
Jul 5, 2006, 01:22 PM
I have limited knowledge of PC building (can always try to build one, but i don't get the whole attaching the MB to the case part) but here's the Pc i bought for $346.

AMD XP 3200+ with HT
512 MB ram (sloppy upgraded to 800ish ram)
PCI-E capabilities but using onboard geforce6100
HD onboard sound
160GB HDD

I'm not sure how long this PC will last for the more recent games, most things are going "dual" from processor to GPU's and I don't know if single GPUs will continue to exist anymore after DX10 hits.

Also, I hear that AMD and intel measure GHZ differently, so is it true that my 3200+ is equal to a 3.2 GHZ pentium?

VioletSkye
Jul 5, 2006, 03:06 PM
On 2006-07-05 11:22, kazuma56 wrote:
I have limited knowledge of PC building (can always try to build one, but i don't get the whole attaching the MB to the case part) but here's the Pc i bought for $346.

AMD XP 3200+ with HT
HD onboard sound
160GB HDD

I'm not sure how long this PC will last for the more recent games, most things are going "dual" from processor to GPU's and I don't know if single GPUs will continue to exist anymore after DX10 hits.

Also, I hear that AMD and intel measure GHZ differently, so is it true that my 3200+ is equal to a 3.2 GHZ pentium?

The motherboard is connected to the case with standoffs (usually 8 or 9 of them) that are screwed into the case. The motherboard is then lined up and placed in the case over the standoffs and attached to the standoffs by screws. Depending on the motherboard, you may be able to run RAM in dual channel, but you would most likely need to ditch one or more of your sticks and replace them. If you download CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-135.zip) and run it, it will give you info on the motherboard and the chipset. If you tell us what model the motherboard is, we can tell you if it supports dual channel. Go to the MAINBOARD tab and look at MODEL.

Alot of people think that the RAM itself is dual channel (which is understandable because of the way they list Dual Channel memory kits) but it actually is a function of the motherboard.

If you have a PCI Express slot, then you should take advantage of it and pick up a good mid range videocard. If you do decide to upgrade to a PCI-Express videocard, let us know about how much you are able to spend. Single GPU cards will stil exist and will still probably be the norm (except for enthusiasts) even after DX10 hits.

AMD and Intel measure the performance of their chips differently. Without getting into an overly complicated explanation as to why it is that way, I'll just say that yes an AMD 3200+ would be roughly equivilent to an Intel 3.2GHz chip. Intel changed the way the CPU workload is measured long ago and has always been somewhat misleading, so in an effort to help counteract that, AMD included the equivilency number into their naming scheme. It has to do with how the data is processed internally.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-05 13:09 ]</font>

ShadowTH1000
Jul 5, 2006, 03:09 PM
My specs are:
ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512 MB
1 GB PC3200 Ram
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.01 GHz
Asus K8N-E Deluxe
nVIDIA On board sound
40 GB and 160 GB HD

Shivore
Jul 5, 2006, 03:19 PM
On 2006-07-05 13:06, VioletSkye wrote:

AMD and Intel measure the performance of their chips differently. Without getting into an overly complicated explanation as to why it is that way, I'll just say that yes an AMD 3200+ would be roughly equivilent to an Intel 3.2GHz chip. Intel changed the way the CPU workload is measured long ago and has always been somewhat misleading, so in an effort to help counteract that, AMD included the equivilency number into their naming scheme. It has to do with how the data is processed internally.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-05 13:09 ]</font>

Funny, I always heard that Intel used the standard, and AMD had a nasty little habit of inflating their numbers beyond what the system is actually capable of. To be honest, I've often wondered why they (AMD) haven't been sued. Same with graphics cards, ATI also has a bad habit of inflating the specs of their cards. That's why AMD and ATI will never see a penny of my money unless something changes. Either that, or what I heard is all wrong and I'm talking crazy.

VioletSkye
Jul 5, 2006, 03:49 PM
On 2006-07-05 13:19, Shivore wrote:

Funny, I always heard that Intel used the standard, and AMD had a nasty little habit of inflating their numbers beyond what the system is actually capable of. To be honest, I've often wondered why they (AMD) haven't been sued. Same with graphics cards, ATI also has a bad habit of inflating the specs of their cards. That's why AMD and ATI will never see a penny of my money unless something changes. Either that, or what I heard is all wrong and I'm talking crazy.

This article is a little old, but it does a good job of explaining what I mean about Intel changing up the math on CPU workloads.
A Little Math (http://www.overclockers.com/tips634/)

As for the ATI thing, both companies have been guilty of inflating performance from time to time. Look at the whole Watermark debacle with 3D mark 2003. People were upset because of the performance gain ATI cards received in Game Test 4 because of the "optimized" shaders within Catalyst. And others were upset with Nvidia for "cheating" by optimizing how their chips rendered the 2003 benchmark apps. Futuremark originally accused Nvidia of cheating but later recounted that accusation and said that the code tweaks were indeed optimizations and not cheats LOL.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-05 13:49 ]</font>

Kisari
Jul 5, 2006, 07:05 PM
ATI Radeon X700 pro (Overclocked at 460core/470mem)
1.5 gigs of DDR Ram
Intel 3gh Processor
Logitech G5 gaming mouse (Just got it, so it deserves a place)
Not sure on the motherboard...
17" LCD Monitor
120 gig harddrive with a 500gig external.
SoundMax Digital Audio soundcard

Time needs to move faster...

Kayai
Jul 5, 2006, 08:34 PM
Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce 6100
Processor: Athlon 64
Memory: Plenty
and uhh RAM: 2.01 GHZ, 384 MB

RedX
Jul 5, 2006, 09:02 PM
HP a1450n

Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+, 2.2GHz, 512KB+512KB L2 Cache

Hard drive
250GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA hard drive

Memory
2.0GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM memory

Graphics card
Integrated GeForce 6150LE Graphics with up to 256MB shared video memory

The Graphics card will have to be replaced but other then that it should do well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RedX on 2006-07-05 19:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RedX on 2006-07-05 19:04 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Jul 5, 2006, 09:03 PM
On 2006-07-05 18:34, Kayai wrote:
Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce 6100
Processor: Athlon 64
Memory: Plenty
and uhh RAM: 2.01 GHZ, 384 MB

I think you may have your specs a little mixed up. Memory (which is the same as RAM) isn't measured (amount-wise anyway) in GHz, but rather MB (megabytes.) I think what you mean is that your Athlon operates at 2.01GHz and it shows you have 384MB of memory (RAM.) The 6100 is an integrated chipset that uses system memory, so what you have is a total of 512MB of system RAM with 128MB of that being used for video (which is exactly what a 6100 uses) leaving you with a subtotal of 384MB of RAM.

After re-reading your post I think you confused memory with harddrive space. Chances are you do have plenty of harddrive space for PSU, but with the 6100 using up 128MB of ram (leaving you with only 384MB) you may want to upgrade the ram and add more (if you have open slots to use.) Doubling your system RAM to a gig would make a big difference. With the 6100 taking up 128MB, that would leave you with 896MB.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-05 19:43 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Jul 6, 2006, 12:04 AM
My rig as it stands today:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (currently not overclocked due to memory being piss-poor at overclocking and I hate running dividers)
4x512MB Patriot PC3200/DDR400 @ 2 3 3 5 timings (Again, running with 4 I was forced to tweak the latency a bit for stability even at stock speed)
EVGA | nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX KO (factory overclock to 490 core and 1300 VRAM)
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Disks: Primary Maxtor 300GB IDE 133, Secondary Hitachi 160GB IDE 100, Tertiary Western Digital 320GB SATA 1.5 (more on that mess later)
Motherboard: DFI LanParty UT CFX-3200DR (Absolutely awesome board minus a quirk or two)
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 930B @ 1280x1024

Like I say, I love that motherboard. It has so many features and options to it I find it crazy. However, I really wish that there would be a new driver and BIOS as I hope that will fix the one problem that I'm having. That one thing? The ULI chipset which is the superior choice for SATA. Unfortunately, even after updating the drivers I, after a few weeks, get disk read errors and disk failures on my SATA drive. Performance was absolutely awesome though. It was getting just about 80% efficiency at best which was proving it to be faster than my IDE 133, as one would expect. Then I attached it to one of the SATA ports on the other controller, which did slow the drive down quite a bit, but it finally stopped getting those drive read errors. I've looked into it and it seems that is happening to a pretty good number of people. That's what I get for purchasing the first week of it being released, hah. Even so, I have no reason to switch even with that.

I do plan on changing out a few parts over the next couple months though. First to go will probably be the monitor if all goes well. I have my old machine hooked up to a crappy 15" LCD monitor and would like to jump the gun to a 20 (Or even 21") widescreen monitor. I would love the extra workspace and the fact games are more and more commonly going towards that it could prove very nice.

Following that I plan to up to 2GB of DDR500 so that I can finally properly overclock. My processor does fine up to 2.6 with relatively few tweaks and DDR500 would allow at least 2.5 with no divider. It would also give me 2GB of RAM to put into my old machine. Again, it's all a win-win scenario.

Following that I will take advantage of my CrossFire motherboard and hopefully have the money to go CrossFire with the DX10 cards. Probably not the very top end cards, but most certainly I would be able to take full advantage of that new monitor.

kazuma56
Jul 7, 2006, 02:28 AM

On 2006-07-05 11:22, kazuma56 wrote:

AMD XP 3200+ with HT
HD onboard sound
160GB HDD

The motherboard is connected to the case with standoffs (usually 8 or 9 of them) that are screwed into the case. The motherboard is then lined up and placed in the case over the standoffs and attached to the standoffs by screws. Depending on the motherboard, you may be able to run RAM in dual channel, but you would most likely need to ditch one or more of your sticks and replace them. If you download CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-135.zip) and run it, it will give you info on the motherboard and the chipset. If you tell us what model the motherboard is, we can tell you if it supports dual channel. Go to the MAINBOARD tab and look at MODEL.

Alot of people think that the RAM itself is dual channel (which is understandable because of the way they list Dual Channel memory kits) but it actually is a function of the motherboard.

If you have a PCI Express slot, then you should take advantage of it and pick up a good mid range videocard. If you do decide to upgrade to a PCI-Express videocard, let us know about how much you are able to spend. Single GPU cards will stil exist and will still probably be the norm (except for enthusiasts) even after DX10 hits.

This was taken from the report.
Name AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Code Name Venice
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Family / Model / Stepping F F 2
Extended Family / Model F 2F
Brand ID 4
Package Socket 939
Core Stepping DH-E6
Technology 90 nm
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
CPU Clock Speed 2009.1 MHz
Clock multiplier x 10.0
HTT Bus Frequency 200.9 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2009.1 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 128 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer To be filled by O.E.M.
Motherboard model MS-7207G, 100
BIOS vendor American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS revision 080012
BIOS release date 11/15/2005
Chipset nVidia ID02F1 rev. A2
Southbridge nVidia ID0261 rev. A2
Sensor chip Winbond W83627EHF

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 167.4 MHz
FSB:DRAM CPU/12
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 7 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (TRC) 10 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer 16 clocks
Command Rate 2T
# of memory modules 4
Module 0 Hyundai Electronics DDR PC3200 - 256 MBytes
Module 1 Infineon DDR PC2700 - 256 MBytes
Module 2 Hyundai Electronics DDR PC3200 - 256 MBytes
Module 3 Samsung DDR PC3200 - 256 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX version 9.0c

As for the GPU, I WAS looking at buying this GPU
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=007594&cid=999.243

But don't have that type of money to spend right now, I can however, buy it next month after I pay off my visa bill, so is this a good buy?

Also, I didn't know that a PC could "emulate" a dual channel memory feature, because this Pc supposedly had "dual channel" capabilites...doesn't seem like it does.

Nedeti
Jul 7, 2006, 03:03 AM
i saw some were wondering if PSU will be on wii or/and game cube. The answer is no .

great stuff peeps and bad news, one of my EVGA GeForce 7600 cards went defective omg i realy hate this, i will send it back tomorow morning to tigerdirect warehouse for an exchange.

Kyuu
Jul 7, 2006, 04:40 AM
Module 3 Samsung DDR PC3200 - 256 MBytesYou want to replace the bolded RAM chip, if possible. That one is a PC2700, which is slower than the rest of the RAM chips, which are running PC3200. That one odd-ball chip is slowing them all down to the slower 2700. A new 256 meg piece of PC3200 RAM should be pretty cheap, and it'll be a decent upgrade getting your RAM up to the better speed.

Alisha
Jul 7, 2006, 04:43 AM
my system specs-

http://www.jackasscritics.com/images/fuersty/2005_01_27/ps2.jpg

i could tell you the specs of the sony vaio i post on but i dont know them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-07-07 02:44 ]</font>

Pure-chan
Jul 7, 2006, 10:46 AM
On 2006-07-07 02:43, Alisha wrote:
my system specs-

http://www.jackasscritics.com/images/fuersty/2005_01_27/ps2.jpg

i could tell you the specs of the sony vaio i post on but i dont know them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-07-07 02:44 ]</font>

You can check out the specs for your PC by going to your start menu and clicking on Run. From there, type DXDIAG into the "Open:" text box.

This will take you to the System tab, where you can observe the "processor" and "memory" listings. Next, click on the Display tab. From here, observe the 'Device - Name:' in the upper left hand corner. You may also want to observe the 'Approx. total memory' listed a couple lines below the 'device name'. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-07-07 08:46 ]</font>

kazuma56
Jul 7, 2006, 01:07 PM
On 2006-07-07 02:40, Kyuu wrote:

Module 3 Samsung DDR PC3200 - 256 MBytesYou want to replace the bolded RAM chip, if possible. That one is a PC2700, which is slower than the rest of the RAM chips, which are running PC3200. That one odd-ball chip is slowing them all down to the slower 2700. A new 256 meg piece of PC3200 RAM should be pretty cheap, and it'll be a decent upgrade getting your RAM up to the better speed.

I kind of knew that, but I didn't know it would bottleneck my other Ram chips... might either spend money on a 512 or just try and get a cheap 256 to replace it.

VioletSkye
Jul 7, 2006, 02:44 PM
On 2006-07-07 00:28, kazuma56 wrote:
This was taken from the report.
Name AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Code Name Venice

The Venice core is a great overclocker and you could easily hit 2.2GHz-2.3GHz with the stock cooling (however you would need to replace that stick of PC2700.)

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 167.4 MHz
FSB:DRAM CPU/12
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 7 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (TRC) 10 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer 16 clocks
Command Rate 2T
# of memory modules 4
Module 3 Samsung DDR PC3200 - 256 MBytes

As Kyuu pointed out, you really should get rid of the PC2700. What happens is the other RAM sticks adjust themselves to match the slower speed of the 2700. Also, as I have pointed out in other posts, the requirements for dual channel vary slightly between motherboards. If you have any documentation about the motherboard it will tell you what slots are designated for each channel. I wasn't able to find any info on your motherboard (MS-7207G) so unfortunately I can't give you specifics as to how you need to install the RAM. If your motherboard does in fact support dual channel then the (2) Hyundai sticks should work just fine provided they occupy the correct slots. The Infineon stick just flat out needs to go away. Another stick of the Samsung 3200 may possibly work if the timings match those of the Hyundai sticks.

As for the GPU, I WAS looking at buying this GPU
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=007594&cid=999.243

But don't have that type of money to spend right now, I can however, buy it next month after I pay off my visa bill, so is this a good buy?

Save up a little more and go with either an X1800GTO or a 7600GT (which is actually a little cheaper.)

Also, I didn't know that a PC could "emulate" a dual channel memory feature, because this Pc supposedly had "dual channel" capabilites...doesn't seem like it does.

As I already stated the memory itself is not dual channel. Dual channel is ONLY a function of the motherboard.

kazuma56
Jul 7, 2006, 03:05 PM
Save up a little more and go with either an X1800GTO or a 7600GT (which is actually a little cheaper.)

Is it a bad card for todays games? as in is it at least high-mid range card or a low end for todays gaming capabilites?

Nedeti
Jul 7, 2006, 04:48 PM
On 2006-07-07 13:05, kazuma56 wrote:

Is it a bad card for todays games? as in is it at least high-mid range card or a low end for todays gaming capabilites?

X1800GTO or a 7600GT are good cards for todays gaming, but am making a big step on jan 2007 with a GeForce 8 serie card XD, Direct X 10 OMG the potential.