PDA

View Full Version : Should story mode affect your online character?

MAGNUShunter
Jul 5, 2006, 11:55 PM
What do you think?
-----------
Personaly I think it should! Gives you more of an incentive to play offline if you get a cool bonus or item.

ajenteks
Jul 5, 2006, 11:58 PM
Nope. 10 PSOW bucks says online is really just a virtual simulator taking place after the offline game to train new Guardians for if SEED ever pops up again.

Ether
Jul 6, 2006, 12:00 AM
Man that would be lame.

The VR stages in PSO never made any sense, since you could find weapons in them then take em into the real world. Why couldnt the lab just create every weapon and give it to you?

ajenteks
Jul 6, 2006, 12:06 AM
On 2006-07-05 22:00, Ether wrote:

The VR stages in PSO never made any sense, since you could find weapons in them then take em into the real world. Why couldnt the lab just create every weapon and give it to you?

I brought that loop-hole up in one of my audio-recordings u_u

Foxix
Jul 6, 2006, 12:06 AM
On 2006-07-05 22:00, Ether wrote:
Man that would be lame.

Because that, Ether, would be considered duping/hacking and that is not legit. Now you wouldn't want sonic team to be illegit now would you?

Ether
Jul 6, 2006, 12:10 AM
Yeah but those were boring as hell and I never listened

ajenteks
Jul 6, 2006, 12:12 AM
On 2006-07-05 22:10, Ether wrote:
Yeah but those were boring as hell and I never listened

WHAT!? I need my razor ;_;

Saner
Jul 6, 2006, 12:20 AM
aaaah ajenteks please don't be sad.

many grateful people found those audio-recordings to be quite informative and stuff! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

personally, online's 'story' won't be a VR simulator, it will be actually happening,
cause the last thing Sega wants is to give people the feeling their whole struggles with monsters and stuff throughout online play are just a training excercises.

but at for offline affecting online's story, maybe there might be a slight difference in online npc interaction if you played through the offline story first.

meaning there might be npcs online you can talk to that may say things related to the offline story that would not be mentioned if you didn't play the offline story first. or something like that.

but of course even this idea would not be stretched out too wide, because otherwise they might as well make online mode unlockable if they really need to know the offline story to get involved with the onlien campaign.

but of course that requirement will be entirely optional.

the developer/producer recommends playing the offline story first but it's not essential to fully enjoy the online experience, although it does give it a strong plot foundation knowing what went on before the online campaigns.

ajenteks
Jul 6, 2006, 12:27 AM
On 2006-07-05 22:20, Saner wrote:

many grateful people found those audio-recordings to be quite informative and stuff! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Actually, I've been told that they put people to sleep pretty easily, and the real value was in my botching of people's names. I get a kick regardless though, if only because it's fun to look back and see how much of a dumbass I was.

Saner
Jul 6, 2006, 12:30 AM
On 2006-07-05 22:27, ajenteks wrote:

On 2006-07-05 22:20, Saner wrote:

Actually, I've been told that they put people to sleep pretty easily, and the real value was in my botching of people's names. I get a kick regardless though, if only because it's fun to look back and see how much of a dumbass I was.

awww well at least it's useful one way or another. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Ryudo
Jul 6, 2006, 07:07 AM
offline story mode should possibly effect online in a very small way, like lciving you the guild cards of all the characters in story mode to join you online

EnixBelmont
Jul 6, 2006, 07:12 AM
I think there should be very small effects. I mean like a sidequest in offline giving you a weapon such as soul eater in online. Or once you beat story mode, they give you Rare weapons for online, or clothes of the story characters, or stuff like that. It would be easy to implement; Just put it in the shared bank once you beat offline.

Sevenfold
Jul 6, 2006, 11:45 AM
EH...no, leave them both seperate. Especially since the online and offline toons cant coincide.

Sev
Jul 6, 2006, 11:59 AM
They'll have to be seperate. I just hope it does pay to know the Offline Story (Aside from entertainment value) when playing Online.

A VR simulation would actually make more sense though. I mean... How many times can you kill the same exact dragon? And why does he keep coming back? Aren't VR stages really the only ones that make sense? I know you can find a way to explain the same events occurring over and over again, but VR's so much easier.

Kano-Okami
Jul 6, 2006, 12:06 PM
I've always wondered if there would be secrets that you could learn from offline mode that you could use what you learned online. Like a hidden passage or some sort of unknown use for 'useless' items. It'd be really cool to see something like that being implimented.

chibiLegolas
Jul 6, 2006, 01:46 PM
I too think we should get SOMETHING for beating offline mode to benefit the online gameplay. I agree it shouldn't be an item since that'll leave all sorts of hacking potential. But at the very least, some reconision by having a symbol/ title by your name, or different colored name in the city or something whenever someone looks you up.

Maybe in the future, an online mission exclusive to players who beat offline, something.... anything would be nice...

Heck, unlocking some NPC costumes would be sweet! Even ones from PSO!

Ikubi
Jul 6, 2006, 01:55 PM
The only way story mode would affect my online gameplay, is to get more experience with the different weapon types and to learn about the game a bit more. A bit of a warm up before going online. ;x

MAGNUShunter
Jul 6, 2006, 05:38 PM
On 2006-07-06 10:06, Kano-Okami wrote:
I've always wondered if there would be secrets that you could learn from offline mode that you could use what you learned online. Like a hidden passage or some sort of unknown use for 'useless' items. It'd be really cool to see something like that being implimented.

I agree. I just think that SOMETHING small(like clothing options or somethin'--some type of small reward that doenst neccessarily have to affect gameplay) would be cool. From what this poll looks like, 50% of people or more wont even bother to play story mode. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
ah wow, what if they let you have a mag as part of your costume as a reward! would be kinda cool. I miss my mag. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

EnixBelmont
Jul 6, 2006, 06:56 PM
I agree 100% with the idea beating story mode gives you access to PSO costumes. A humar, a fonewms fatass costume, a fomars robe, etc. are all unlocked for online once you beat story. Thats a really good idea, IMO.

Sevenfold
Jul 6, 2006, 07:18 PM
Its ok with me in the long run if there IS something like that, but to me, it just seems like a gimmick to get people to play the offline mode.

Ikubi
Jul 7, 2006, 11:39 AM
On 2006-07-06 17:18, Sevenfold wrote:
Its ok with me in the long run if there IS something like that, but to me, it just seems like a gimmick to get people to play the offline mode.

xD But they took the time to create the offline mode. So i don't think it would be a gimmick, just maybe a thanks for taking the time to play our story. ;x

ajenteks
Jul 7, 2006, 11:46 AM
Well, if what I read was correct, ST recognized that having no central story and no dedicated offline mode that followed it was a turn-off for some of the people they wanted to purchase PSO. With that in mind, I think it's fair to say that the offline portion of PSU very well could be a gimmick to just sell units to your standard, offline console playing RPG nut.

Ikubi
Jul 7, 2006, 12:58 PM
I understand your point, but they still were think about the people. From all the stuff you can do in Offline mode, as well as the 3 planets and xtra mode, and over 40 hours, and all that jazz(i'm thinking it's gonna be 2 disks) it's like having 2 games for 1. IMO anyway. While i'm gonna definitely be playing online this time around, i like something to play offline as well. >_< and not be bored to tears offline playing the same boring dungeons and quests(>_< b/c some people keep 'accidently' erasing my data), so It may be a gimmick, or it may just be ST giving more to their fans. ;D

Personally, I think giving it a story makes it more of a PS feel and help it to fit into the PS universe of games. Instead of just hack and slash with PS races. xD