PDA

View Full Version : Why does everybody in the US have the same beliefs?

K-Morfos
Jul 6, 2006, 07:56 AM
Everybody in America believes in absolute morality, especially when it comes to sex.

Everybody in America is against affordable college, universal healthcare, etc...

Everybody in America is very pro establishment, pro police, pro military.

Why is it that everybody who lives here has the same viewpoints about virtually everything?!

How can one country of such great size be so ideologically conformed? I MEAN I AM THE ONLY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: K-Morfos on 2006-07-06 05:58 ]</font>

CupOfCoffee
Jul 6, 2006, 08:03 AM
Are you sure you live in America?

Maybe it's because my city was basically built around the UW Madison campus, but I could count the people I know who believe absolutely in sexual morality, unaffordable college, establishment, police, and the military on one hand. It's probably that you just live in a pocket of conservativity, much in the same way that I live in one of liberalness.

Edit: Ignore my post if this topic was a joke. Reading over it again, that's seeming more and more likely.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CupOfCoffee on 2006-07-06 06:04 ]</font>

K-Morfos
Jul 6, 2006, 08:05 AM
On 2006-07-06 06:03, CupOfCoffee wrote:
Are you sure you live in America?

Maybe it's because my city was basically built around the UW Madison campus, but I could count the people I know who believe absolutely in sexual morality, unaffordable college, establishment, police, and the military on one hand. It's probably that you just live in a pocket of conservativity, much in the same way that I live in one of liberalness.

Edit: Ignore my post if this topic was a joke. Reading over it again, that's seeming more and more likely.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CupOfCoffee on 2006-07-06 06:04 ]</font>

I live in California, and the youth here are unanimously either conservative or right libertarian. I am perhapse the only young individual in SoCal who holds progressive opinions. Also, practically everybody on the Internet is what I said above. Just check out the topic I written about financial aid. They all came out against it, saying that I should be forced to get a job and pretty much f*** all equality.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: K-Morfos on 2006-07-06 06:11 ]</font>

KaFKa
Jul 6, 2006, 08:17 AM
On 2006-07-06 05:56, K-Morfos wrote:
Everybody in America believes in absolute morality, especially when it comes to sex.
I didn't know that we came to the absolute morality decision. Last I heard it was a huge debate. Damn it to hell, I'm behind the times.

Everybody in America is against affordable college, universal healthcare, etc...
Not everybody, just the greedy ones in charge.

Damn, and here I thought it was order above chaos that seperated man from monkies.

Why is it that everybody who lives here has the same viewpoints about virtually everything?!
Virtually everything? not in the slightest. Agreeance on cardinal truths, quite obvious, the answer to that one.

How can one country of such great size be so ideologically conformed? I MEAN I AM THE ONLY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION!
Mind pulling your head out of your ass? Just a wee bit? please? Thank you.

K-Morfos
Jul 6, 2006, 08:24 AM
On 2006-07-06 06:17, KaFKa wrote:

I didn't know that we came to the absolute morality decision. Last I heard it was a huge debate. Damn it to hell, I'm behind the times.

REPLY: Well ok, Mabey Nevada disagrees.

Not everybody, just the greedy ones in charge.

I thought you were against it. Mabey I'm a bit wrong about you then... BTW, I'm not a typical liberal or Democrat, so don't use me as some nasty generalization.

Damn, and here I thought it was order above chaos that seperated man from monkies.

In Japan, there is no military and the police have minimal power. They seem to be even more orderly than we are.

Virtually everything? not in the slightest. Agreeance on cardinal truths, quite obvious, the answer to that one.

Cardinal truths? There is no absolute truth in the real world, there are alway exceptions. (eg: Communism would work if you bioengineered humans to have a super collective psychology)

Mind pulling your head out of your ass? Just a wee bit? please? Thank you.

Any disproof of my claim. What is the difference between the two major parties? And I certainly don't see anybody who feels the way I do, although I met a couple on PSOBB.

If you ever meet me on PSOBB, I'll seem pretty laid back. I generally get very worked up over politics and ideology in general, but other than that I am calm, laid back, and try to think of other people even if I fail to do so.

K-Morfos
Jul 6, 2006, 08:25 AM
The Japanese seem to have the opposite opinions as Americans on virtually everything, yet the still manage to even be Capitalists. Amazing isn't it?

FOAtHeart
Jul 6, 2006, 08:35 AM

What in the world makes you feel qualified to make these statements?

Last I heard, only a Sith deals in absolutes. :PPP

Marter
Jul 6, 2006, 08:36 AM
On 2006-07-06 06:35, FOAtHeart wrote:

What in the world makes you feel qualified to make these statements?

Last I heard, only a Sith deals in absolutes. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gifPP

QFE

KaFKa
Jul 6, 2006, 08:39 AM
Not really. Because the Japaneese are a completely different society than America, even though they're still capitalist.

Just like Myself and yourself are seemingly completely different, although we both post on PSOW and seem to manage to live life from day to day.

Also, as an argument you use for almost everything, start showing some facts and elaboration, otherwise your going to become a broken record.

KodiaX987
Jul 6, 2006, 08:42 AM
You're not looking around hard enough.

Keep on living, you'll eventually come across some diversity...

KaFKa
Jul 6, 2006, 08:45 AM
On 2006-07-06 06:42, KodiaX987 wrote:
You're not looking around hard enough.

Keep on living, you'll eventually come across some diversity...

Lies and Deciet!

Everyone is the same! It is all I wish to see!

ABDUR101
Jul 6, 2006, 08:46 AM
...'crazy rebel'? Are we being different just for the sake of it or what?

You've certainly not talked to every member on this forum, let alone every citizen of the US. Besides, just because we tell you how we see things, doesn't mean we're all carbon copies, otherwise you'd be a carbon copy too. But hey, maybe you just don't realise it yet.

astuarlen
Jul 6, 2006, 09:27 AM
On 2006-07-06 06:24, K-Morfos wrote:

...don't use me as some nasty generalization.

I loled.

"Crazy rebel"? Crazy, maybe, but I can't figure out what you're rebelling against--except maybe common sense or reality or one of those other really lame things that always try to interfere with fantasy.

Rawr, astuarlen feel mean in morning. >:E
Also, is that the sweaty stench of troll I smell? Mmmm!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astuarlen on 2006-07-06 07:32 ]</font>

Scejntjynahl
Jul 6, 2006, 09:42 AM
Look around you, you shall find diversity or not, depending on how you are searching. I also reside in SoCal and I can find a many cities that are not ultra conservative as you claim everyone to be. You will have to realize someday specially in such volatile times as now (N.Korea entering the missile race as one example) that most people will put aside their "personal" values aside for the betterment of the country they live in. Most of us tackle the things that will affect us as a WHOLE not so much as an individual. Expensive colleges you say, yet at the same time "we" want to be taxed less, have cheaper gas, cheaper material goods, etc etc. We live in a very complex world where everything has to be weighed in... if you go into with one objective only you will find that others have many objectives and there is a chance that yours will take the backseat. In the end it comes down to one and the many. Who do you listen to? Tough choice. But for you to say you are the ONLY one that feels any of this, is a bit ludicrous. For I feel it as well, and I am sure there are many more that feel things around them. Yet we all have to learn to cope and do what we can do (voting is another example, educating yourself is another etc) Or a simple self expressiong in a forum about video games, just like you did. And I.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 6, 2006, 10:01 AM
I'd just like to point out that California is traditionally a liberal state. Our electorial votes generally go to the Democratic candidate for President, and until Grey Davis f'ed us up, our governor was usually a Democrat, as well.

Dre_o
Jul 6, 2006, 10:09 AM
Again, just to refreash your memory: Only a Sith deals in absolute.

And I have just ONE little question:

Now that you've said all this poorly thought out, off the top bullshit. How will you change it? Answer that question properly, and maybe, JUST maybe, well....we'll see.

Oh, and GTFO Navi's internets if you can't handle other opinions. (heh, like I'm one to talk)

Solstis
Jul 6, 2006, 10:47 AM
On 2006-07-06 07:27, astuarlen wrote:

...don't use me as some nasty generalization.

I loled.

"Crazy rebel"? Crazy, maybe, but I can't figure out what you're rebelling against--except maybe common sense or reality or one of those other really lame things that always try to interfere with fantasy.

Rawr, astuarlen feel mean in morning. >:E
Also, is that the sweaty stench of troll I smell? Mmmm!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astuarlen on 2006-07-06 07:32 ]</font>

I smell something too.

I smell lies! Lies! We have been betrayed! To the hills! To the hills.

If you are being serious, mister original poster, I suggest that you lift that rock from over your head.

Uh, and all the same? I hate all these people. Aside from the people that I don't hate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2006-07-06 08:49 ]</font>

navci
Jul 6, 2006, 12:46 PM
omg Japan is heaven! America stinks! I know all of these because I heard it somewhere. I have no solid proof and I really havn't read any statistics and I don't really know where all of these people are from but I am gonna call them all Americans and conservatives and absoluts! I am the only one who is different and hence it makes me special enough to say whatever I want!! Wheeeee!!!!

Beautiful.
Please make arguements when you gather facts and able to make a point.
For your information, I am not even from America.

DikkyRay
Jul 6, 2006, 12:51 PM
Ok, last time i checked, japan does have an army. It has too. Every damn country pretty much requires an army. If it didn't, its ass would have been invaded. and i agree with navi 100%, except im from america lol

isahn80
Jul 6, 2006, 02:30 PM
I don't know if this is true or not, but one of my professors once told me this about Japan:

"The Japanese can be very xenophobic. A white American man can travel to Japan, live there for 15 years, become fluent in the Japanese language, learn and observe all Japanese customs, marry a Japanese woman, and then, maybe then, he'll be thought of on the same level as a talking dog."

One of my friends used to think America sucked and Japan was paradise on Earth (you know those white kids that think they're black? Well he was the same way, except with Japanese). Anyway, he saved up a lot of money, and with his parent's help traveled there. He intended to live Japan, but ended up coming back 6 months later because he couldn't get crap for a job. He said that while many Japanese were nice to him, some weren't and the country wasn't nearly as amazing as he originally thought.

The point of all this? The grass always seems greener on the other side, but really it's not, unless you live in a 3rd world country or something.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of Japan, I'd like to point out that they have what's known as a collectivist culture, which means they tend to value their society over themselves, the opposite of Western culture. This also means they think alike much more so than Americans.

Get your shit straight before you start accusing all Americans of thinking alike. I sure as hell don't think like most others; I consider some of my beliefs to be unique to myself, if only because they're so bizarre.

Dangerous55
Jul 6, 2006, 03:41 PM
Read my topic in this forum.

And Japan is not a paradise. Remember the crazy Japanese playing "catch the baby on the bayonet"?

Point is, the Japanese are not peaceful, enlightened people anymore than we are, anymore than the Siberians or Serbians or Greeks are. Or anyone.

Shigecki
Jul 6, 2006, 05:27 PM

Guess you didn't pay too much attention to the 2004 election, did you?

No. I go to a college that is very affordable. State colleges/universities are very much affordable.

The Clinton administation was trying to do this about healthcare. I will admit it had many flaws, but it has been done/tried before.

On 2006-07-06 06:17, KaFKa wrote:

Best reply yet.

That problem with this statement is that it is set up to be proved right. To say anything against it is proving it true. There are no answers to debunk it. If you agree with it, I guess you conform. If you disagree with it, you're thinking like everyone else. Limited choice, fallacy.

In Japan, there is no military and the police have minimal power. They seem to be even more orderly than we are.

Japan's military is primarily consisted of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force, the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, and the Japan Air Self-Defense Force. Its military budget is estimated to be the sixth largest in the world at around $48 billion per year. Looks to me like Army, Navy, and Air Force. I guess it's just me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Japan fund Desert Storm in the early 1990's? I believe so.

EphekZ
Jul 6, 2006, 11:15 PM
if you fucking hate america so much move to another fucking country. Don't say you don't have money, if you're so fucking smart(refering to other thread) then use your uber brainwaves to figure out a plan to get out. All you do is bitch about a government becuase you're going to a university and you wont do whatever it takes to stay in a university. Seems like you aren't that smart, because if you were then you would know that takes time to get a good career and many people have started with "mediocre" jobs.

edit: People arent offended or whatever about sex, they are offended by teens running around with their pants down fucking everything that moves, having babies, ruining lives, and S.T.Ds. People that say practice abstinence arent saying never have sex, they are saying dont have sex and 15-18 or something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkgunner on 2006-07-06 21:17 ]</font>

Corey
Jul 7, 2006, 06:54 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if K-Morfos intends on backing anything he said up now.
(lolsorry if dis be spam.)

DikkyRay
Jul 7, 2006, 07:17 PM
On 2006-07-06 21:15, darkgunner wrote:
if you fucking hate america so much move to another fucking country. Don't say you don't have money, if you're so fucking smart(refering to other thread) then use your uber brainwaves to figure out a plan to get out. All you do is bitch about a government becuase you're going to a university and you wont do whatever it takes to stay in a university. Seems like you aren't that smart, because if you were then you would know that takes time to get a good career and many people have started with "mediocre" jobs.

edit: People arent offended or whatever about sex, they are offended by teens running around with their pants down fucking everything that moves, having babies, ruining lives, and S.T.Ds. People that say practice abstinence arent saying never have sex, they are saying dont have sex and 15-18 or something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkgunner on 2006-07-06 21:17 ]</font>

Amen my friend. You put everything I wanted to say, but in a shorter, meaner way.

Skorpius
Jul 7, 2006, 07:24 PM
Uneducated ramblings of a teenager in angst, I'm guessing.

InfinityXXX
Jul 7, 2006, 11:06 PM
Well I don't wanna say much for a lot of posters have said what I was thinking but I will like to add......America may have its problems but so does every other country and theres no other country I'll rather be in other than America.(my lil 2 cents)

Shigecki
Jul 8, 2006, 02:21 AM
Now I've already given a reply to this post. If I'm bringing something back to life that is past it's time, then sorry. I've had a problem with not only the OP but with alot of the replies. I need to get this out because usually I don't rent space for cheap in my head, but this has been bothering me.

First off to the OP, I'm not going to give you this:

if you fucking hate america so much move to another fucking country.

It's one of the most over used fallacies. "America, love it or leave it." I'm not going to give you only ywo choices. I don't think you hate America. I believe you're young (yes this does have alot to do with this) and are out on your own for the first time. I also think you have a "me against the world" view on life. This is just an assumption, but I'm prepared to make an ass out of you and mption. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif The thing that I feel got so many people upset is the use of the statement "everybody in America". I would say, the "majority that actually vote" would be more appropriate.

I don't know what you mean by absolute morality, but I'll give it a run. This country (United States of America) was founded on Christian values. These values have kind lead us to our "moral values". Again I do feel that this is the view of the majority that vote. I don't know what your views on these issues are, and I'm not sure if they are different then mine, because you haven't posted them. In 2004 there was a huge debate about same-sex marriage. For the most part the "voters" were against it. Again this is the view of the majority that voted. (Don't know if you are getting my theme here, but vote if you want ot make a difference. I believe only 20% of registered voters between the ages of 18-24 actually voted in 2004).

I feel teaching abstinence only is doomed to fail. Teaching about birth control as well as abstinence is a better way to go. I would go as far as to say giving out birth control to teenagers is a good way to go. Let's face it, with or without birth control, teenagers will have sex. Might as well be safe. Again I have no idea if this is different from what you think, because you haven't posted anything. I believe as long as you're not hurting anyone else (physically or mentally, that's as long as they don't want to get hurt I guess) what someone does sexually is there business.

I'm not too sure who doesn't believe we should have affordable college. I believe we have affordable colleges. If you choose to go to a school that is beyond your financial means, that's on you. You do have options. It's like anything, somethings cost more than others. Not every car costs the same. Not every resaurant has the same priced items and so on. If you can only afford a Vega and you're paying for a 'vette, then you need to either sell the 'vette, or find some way to pay for it. Your choice.

A problem with cost of education is that it has gone up alone with the cost of living. The only thing that hasn't gone up over the last 10 years is minimum wage. This is a much bigger problem then affordable college.

You said everyone came out against affordable college in your other post. Your other post was a rant about not getting financial aid until you turned 24. I was one of the many people that gave you links to FAFSA to help you out. No one was against financial aid. Not sure which post you read, but read it again.

I believe there should be affordable means for everybody when it comes to healthcare. I haven't had healthcare for about four years. Thankfully nothing has happened (knocks on wood). I believe this is one of the big problems with this country. Trust me you're not the only one that feels something needs to be done about it. Again, this is the views of the the people that vote. To try and make a change, not only vote, but get others to do so.

I'm not pro establishment. Not at all. I'm about as liberal as someone can be and still live in Phoenix, Arizona. I was raised in Portland, OR. The have a "death with dignity" law for crying out loud. I am pro police, and not sure what you feel the alternative would be. Again this is because you didn't give any views.

The one conservative view I have is military. I do believe we need to have a strong military. I don't believe however we need to use it every ten years for a war to, I quote George Carlin, "Bomb brown people." But I feel a strong military is nessecary.

When I said it had to do with age, it's because I was there. When I was younger, I believed my views were completely different from everyone elses. Trust me, this is a pretty big country, filled with alot of people. I would find it very hard to believe that you have an original idea, or a view that is only yours. This isn't just a statement about you, but about most everyone.

Charmander02
Jul 8, 2006, 12:03 PM
On 2006-07-06 12:30, isahn80 wrote:

The point of all this? The grass always seems greener on the other side, but really it's not, unless you live in a 3rd world country or something.

What if where you live there is no grass?

Everyone in America has the same beliefs?

Um, no.

K-Morfos
Jul 8, 2006, 04:35 PM
On 2006-07-08 00:21, Shigecki wrote:
Now I've already given a reply to this post. If I'm bringing something back to life that is past it's time, then sorry. I've had a problem with not only the OP but with alot of the replies. I need to get this out because usually I don't rent space for cheap in my head, but this has been bothering me.

First off to the OP, I'm not going to give you this:

if you fucking hate america so much move to another fucking country.

It's one of the most over used fallacies. "America, love it or leave it." I'm not going to give you only ywo choices. I don't think you hate America. I believe you're young (yes this does have alot to do with this) and are out on your own for the first time. I also think you have a "me against the world" view on life. This is just an assumption, but I'm prepared to make an ass out of you and mption. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif The thing that I feel got so many people upset is the use of the statement "everybody in America". I would say, the "majority that actually vote" would be more appropriate.

I don't know what you mean by absolute morality, but I'll give it a run. This country (United States of America) was founded on Christian values. These values have kind lead us to our "moral values". Again I do feel that this is the view of the majority that vote. I don't know what your views on these issues are, and I'm not sure if they are different then mine, because you haven't posted them. In 2004 there was a huge debate about same-sex marriage. For the most part the "voters" were against it. Again this is the view of the majority that voted. (Don't know if you are getting my theme here, but vote if you want ot make a difference. I believe only 20% of registered voters between the ages of 18-24 actually voted in 2004).

I feel teaching abstinence only is doomed to fail. Teaching about birth control as well as abstinence is a better way to go. I would go as far as to say giving out birth control to teenagers is a good way to go. Let's face it, with or without birth control, teenagers will have sex. Might as well be safe. Again I have no idea if this is different from what you think, because you haven't posted anything. I believe as long as you're not hurting anyone else (physically or mentally, that's as long as they don't want to get hurt I guess) what someone does sexually is there business.

I'm not too sure who doesn't believe we should have affordable college. I believe we have affordable colleges. If you choose to go to a school that is beyond your financial means, that's on you. You do have options. It's like anything, somethings cost more than others. Not every car costs the same. Not every resaurant has the same priced items and so on. If you can only afford a Vega and you're paying for a 'vette, then you need to either sell the 'vette, or find some way to pay for it. Your choice.

A problem with cost of education is that it has gone up alone with the cost of living. The only thing that hasn't gone up over the last 10 years is minimum wage. This is a much bigger problem then affordable college.

You said everyone came out against affordable college in your other post. Your other post was a rant about not getting financial aid until you turned 24. I was one of the many people that gave you links to FAFSA to help you out. No one was against financial aid. Not sure which post you read, but read it again.

I believe there should be affordable means for everybody when it comes to healthcare. I haven't had healthcare for about four years. Thankfully nothing has happened (knocks on wood). I believe this is one of the big problems with this country. Trust me you're not the only one that feels something needs to be done about it. Again, this is the views of the the people that vote. To try and make a change, not only vote, but get others to do so.

I'm not pro establishment. Not at all. I'm about as liberal as someone can be and still live in Phoenix, Arizona. I was raised in Portland, OR. The have a "death with dignity" law for crying out loud. I am pro police, and not sure what you feel the alternative would be. Again this is because you didn't give any views.

The one conservative view I have is military. I do believe we need to have a strong military. I don't believe however we need to use it every ten years for a war to, I quote George Carlin, "Bomb brown people." But I feel a strong military is nessecary.

When I said it had to do with age, it's because I was there. When I was younger, I believed my views were completely different from everyone elses. Trust me, this is a pretty big country, filled with alot of people. I would find it very hard to believe that you have an original idea, or a view that is only yours. This isn't just a statement about you, but about most everyone.

Thank you for your reply http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.