PDA

View Full Version : What gender will your character be?

Sgt_Shligger
Jul 6, 2006, 02:37 PM
I just thought of this... everyone has asked class, race and whatever but never gender. Let's hear it.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 6, 2006, 02:47 PM
well, I might have two versions, PS2 for me and PC for my bro, so since I'm gonna have my own 4 chars, I might have two dudes and two chicks.

ajenteks
Jul 6, 2006, 02:49 PM
I will let you know when I close my own poll http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Danger_Girl
Jul 6, 2006, 02:50 PM
Wow, you two are on the same wavelength. Thats kind of...scary.

Mwabwetumba
Jul 6, 2006, 02:50 PM
Yaaargh, I just cannot decide whether to start playing on my HUcast or my FOcaseal... they are both really cool and have their own distinct style...once again...Yaaargh...

F-o-x
Jul 6, 2006, 03:02 PM
My main character is going to be male.

isahn80
Jul 6, 2006, 03:05 PM
I just thought of this... everyone has asked class, race and whatever but never gender. Let's hear it.

Male, however... maybe I'm smoking crack, but didn't ajenteks just start a topic like this?

EnixBelmont
Jul 6, 2006, 03:37 PM
I'm a guy in real life, so I'm going to be one in the game. In an online role-playing game, I find it creepy that guys play as girls more than girls play as girls.

Sgt_Shligger
Jul 6, 2006, 03:43 PM
I got the idea from Ajen's topic... it's close but slightly different. HIs is to choose what is coolest and mines for what you will choose.... ok, it's like the same http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Sevenfold
Jul 6, 2006, 03:43 PM
Im a dude, so Im making a dude.

Mwabwetumba
Jul 6, 2006, 03:50 PM
On 2006-07-06 13:37, EnixBelmont wrote:
I'm a guy in real life, so I'm going to be one in the game. In an online role-playing game, I find it creepy that guys play as girls more than girls play as girls.

A part of me really wants to be a HUcast, as that is the closest thing I can get to a Chaos Warrior (dont ask), destroying the enemies with great strenght and skill.. just a shame that I cannot have him adorned in horns and spikes, 10 ft tall with a sword as big, muttering incantations in the name of the Great Conspirator..(again, dont ask)

Whilst the other part of me, equal in size, wants to be the healer of the team, friendly and helpfull (can be referred to as my nicer side), and for me, that a role more suited to a female (dont hurt me!).
Mock me if you wish, this constant battle between those 2 parts is giving me headaches.. and I also know that even if I might think I have made up my mind, it will once again falter when I hold PSU in my hands, leading to atleast 2 hours of building characters back and forth..
Yaaargh..

isahn80
Jul 6, 2006, 03:58 PM

My sentiments exactly. One of my friends claims he felt his female PC (I think this was back on Everquest) was an expression of his true self.

I didn't speak to him much after that.

Sevenfold
Jul 6, 2006, 04:01 PM
Perhaps he was a shim?

isahn80
Jul 6, 2006, 04:11 PM
He was kind of effeminate, now that I think about it...

Anyway, maybe someone can explain why so many dudes like to play as chicks, because I don't understand it. I mean, sure, I might create a female PC as my 3rd or 4th character for variety, but otherwise I'm going all-male (I'm not a misogynist or anything, it just seems natural)!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: isahn80 on 2006-07-06 14:12 ]</font>

EnixBelmont
Jul 6, 2006, 04:15 PM
Stat wise, in PSO, girls were slightly better. But IMO that small bit of betterness was not worth Crossdressing for.

DikkyRay
Jul 6, 2006, 04:25 PM
Male. Just look at Tribute Characters XD

Ibuka
Jul 6, 2006, 06:36 PM
1 Male. 3 Female characters. Just like i had on PSO XD

When i was on PSO V1&2 I always played a Humar untill GC PSO. I started to play my female characters alot more then my Humar.

So on PSU i'll most like play my female characters more then my male character and my female characters are alot more know to my leveler friends then my male character. My male character was just known by my battlers friends and other battlers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ibuka on 2006-07-06 16:44 ]</font>

Sev
Jul 6, 2006, 07:03 PM
On 2006-07-06 14:11, isahn80 wrote:

Anyway, maybe someone can explain why so many dudes like to play as chicks, because I don't understand it. I mean, sure, I might create a female PC as my 3rd or 4th character for variety, but otherwise I'm going all-male (I'm not a misogynist or anything, it just seems natural)!

I haven't done it much myself, but I have friend who've played as female characters.

One reason some do it is simply... It's more pleasant for them. They'd simply rather look at a girl character all day then a guy character. There's alot of different reasons of why they'd rather look at a girl character but we don't need to get into those.

Another reason is it's simply the character. If you've made a character, and that character is female. You don't have to be a female, to be able to make up a female character. The same is true for a female, not needing to be a male to make up a male character. However your character acts is completely up to you, if you have a "Cutesy" character and think it's easier to pull off as a female... Then you're gonna make one. I know others that make somewhat "Harder" females with a rougher attitude to them... There's also things such as using characters based off of other games or previous games in this series. If you know about PS, then you'd know that when most people then Newman, they'll think female before male. Characters based off of Rika and Nei's Numan/Newman race, would more then likely be female. There simply weren't male Numan/Newman's back in those days. At least, I don't remember any.

It doesn't really bother me either way, people will play as what they wanna play as. I don't mind seeing female characters around, whether the person behind them is male or female. It's not like many people that are male playing females flirt with other guys. I've never really had to worry about that though.

uhawww
Jul 6, 2006, 07:07 PM
Female.
Although a guy, I am a proponent of the "chicks kick ass," and conversely, the "chicks kicking ass" mentalities.

EnixBelmont
Jul 6, 2006, 07:16 PM
Well, in my personal opinion, the character you play as in a game, unless you are roleplaying, is supposed to be a personification of you. IF you are role-playing, fine. But if not, it's kind of strange you would identify yourself with a girl more then a guy. Honestly, playing a girl in an online game is the equivilent of crossdressing.

And even if you were role-playing, I have no clue why you would pretend to be a female. But whatever.

I can, however, see why some girls would want to play as guys. Girls are occasionally on the recieving end of idiot horny teenagers trying to cyber them. Thats reason enough to play as a guy. I have no clue why any guy would want to play as a girl, thanks to that.....

One thing I am extremely happy about. Guys crossdressing ingame are much easier to look at than real crossdressers. I have not seen one transvestite that didnt repulse me in my life XD

Ibuka
Jul 6, 2006, 07:28 PM
lol I say this. If you feel like playing a female or male then just do it. It's none of the others peoples busisness to care what you really are in real life or wonder why do you play characters that aren't the same type as me. Hell some people ask me that and i told them cause i can thats why! When your paying for my HL then you can ask me and tell me i should be playing a male character, not a female. Other wise shut the hell up. lol Thats what i tell people that ask me that

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ibuka on 2006-07-06 17:50 ]</font>

EnixBelmont
Jul 6, 2006, 07:56 PM
People can play as whatever they want, I really dont care. I'm just saying that it's weird, and I dont see the point at all.

isahn80
Jul 6, 2006, 08:01 PM
I haven't done it much myself, but I have friend who've played as female characters.

One reason some do it is simply... It's more pleasant for them. They'd simply rather look at a girl character all day then a guy character. There's alot of different reasons of why they'd rather look at a girl character but we don't need to get into those.

Another reason is it's simply the character. If you've made a character, and that character is female. You don't have to be a female, to be able to make up a female character. The same is true for a female, not needing to be a male to make up a male character. However your character acts is completely up to you, if you have a "Cutesy" character and think it's easier to pull off as a female... Then you're gonna make one. I know others that make somewhat "Harder" females with a rougher attitude to them... There's also things such as using characters based off of other games or previous games in this series. If you know about PS, then you'd know that when most people then Newman, they'll think female before male. Characters based off of Rika and Nei's Numan/Newman race, would more then likely be female. There simply weren't male Numan/Newman's back in those days. At least, I don't remember any.

It doesn't really bother me either way, people will play as what they wanna play as. I don't mind seeing female characters around, whether the person behind them is male or female. It's not like many people that are male playing females flirt with other guys. I've never really had to worry about that though.

Hmmm... thank you for your explanation, I think I get it now. And yes, I've played all 4 of the original PS games and it would seem natural to choose a female numan (or newman...whatever). I'm sure there's still going to be horny teenagers (that won't get laid until they're 29) creating hot female PCs to satisfy whatever need, but if a dude wants to legitamately play as a chick then that's fine, to each their own. Just don't expect me to be checking out your character (yechh...)

DizzyDi
Jul 6, 2006, 08:06 PM
On 2006-07-06 14:11, isahn80 wrote:
He was kind of effeminate, now that I think about it...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: isahn80 on 2006-07-06 14:12 ]</font>

Male players choose female players for various reasons. The reason I see them spout out the most is "I dun wanna be looking at a dood's ass for umpteen hours." Whatever, thats a bs excuse, you shouldn't be looking at your character's ass period.

I'll be making all my characters dhudes, cause...I'ma dhude.

Ibuka
Jul 6, 2006, 08:09 PM
Yes you shouldn't be looking at anyones ass. But sonic team don't care what you do with the game as long as there getting your money and your not hacking. cheating or stalking/harassing people online

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ibuka on 2006-07-06 18:13 ]</font>

Lunar-Wolf
Jul 6, 2006, 09:01 PM
I am gonna be a guy, just feels strange for me to try playing a female character.

Blitzkommando
Jul 6, 2006, 10:04 PM
I truly don't like watching guy ass all day when playing games. Call it bull if you wish but that is the simple truth. I want to have a pleasant experience playing the game, and for me I want a little eye candy rather than some buffed out, Mr. Olympia, muscleman's guy ass staring me in the face when playing. I'm comfortable enough with myself to do that, but apparently a lot of people aren't.

Rubesahl
Jul 6, 2006, 11:30 PM
I usually have 3 characters, one for each class. I'd make my main a FO, which would be male since its the closest persona to me. Then would be the 'hunter' which would be a beast (I just love how he isn't ugly unlike FFXI's 'counterpart' lol). And lastly I'd like a female character for a ranger http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif which would be a cast http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

isahn80
Jul 7, 2006, 05:49 AM
On 2006-07-06 20:04, Norvekh wrote:
I truly don't like watching guy ass all day when playing games. Call it bull if you wish but that is the simple truth. I want to have a pleasant experience playing the game, and for me I want a little eye candy rather than some buffed out, Mr. Olympia, muscleman's guy ass staring me in the face when playing. I'm comfortable enough with myself to do that, but apparently a lot of people aren't.

I'd imagine if you were truly comfortable with yourself you wouldn't care about staring at your male character's ass all day, considering the PC is basically a representation of yourself.

Besides, after playing enough games like Kingdom Hearts that force you to play most of the game looking at your character's backside, I've found that with all of the action onscreen, most of the time I'm not even really looking at my character. In other words, before long you don't notice or think about that shit. If your eyes keep getting drawn to the male character's ass and it makes you feel funny, then uhhh.... there may be deeper issues here...

I can sympathize with the eye-candy bit, however. The female body is more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, under the right curcumstances (and by right circumstances, I mean what society deems "physically attractive;" i.e. no fat, old or ugly chicks).

Alisha
Jul 7, 2006, 06:00 AM
On 2006-07-06 13:58, isahn80 wrote:

My sentiments exactly. One of my friends claims he felt his female PC (I think this was back on Everquest) was an expression of his true self.

your an idiot.

and probally a homophobe too!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-07-07 04:00 ]</font>

EnixBelmont
Jul 7, 2006, 06:21 AM
If someone said that a character in a video game is "an expression of his true self" I'd probably stay away from him too, whether the character was a guy or girl.

isahn80
Jul 7, 2006, 06:25 AM
On 2006-07-07 04:00, Alisha wrote:

your an idiot.

An idiot. Yes, an exceptionally witty insult fit for someone with my lack of understanding. I'll have you know I actually have MANY gay friends, and enjoy watching shows like Queer as Folk. My girlfriend is part of the local "Rocky Horror Picture Show" shadow cast, and I am well aquainted with the gays that are also associated.

Not that I need explain myself to YOU, but the reason that my friend creeped me out so much was that he began having sexual identity issues triggered by apparently investing too much emotional energy into his Everquest PC. I'd be willing to bet that these issues were just waiting for an outlet, and his female character just happened to be it. The identity crisis didn't faze me; I'd seen it before. What freaked me was that he was so emotionally involved with this fictional PC of his, that he began having all kinds of obsessive fantasies and other such wierdness beyond what I'm sure most people would consider normal. Perhaps I should have explained this in more detail from the start...?

I really don't care what gender anyone wants to play, but I find it a little unsettling that so many guys PREFER playing females. This is my opinion, and I never said it was right or wrong. If you still think I'm an idiot you can go fuck yourself, as this actually makes you a bigot.

EnixBelmont
Jul 7, 2006, 06:28 AM
I agree with isahn.

isahn80
Jul 7, 2006, 06:29 AM
*Raises beer for EnixBelmont*

Shivore
Jul 7, 2006, 06:40 AM
This has actually been asked before, so I'll just say what I said then:

"I tend to have multiple characters and they are all different people with different abilities so why shouldn't they have different genders? I tend to do whatever I feel like, though I do know my first character will be female.

Let's see, tallying up my characters from all MMO's I've played I have 4 female and 5 male, spread out over 4 different MMO's, not counting a few gender neutral characters. Ultimately, I think I keep it about evenly split, and I'll probably do the same here. Of course since there is no such option in the poll, I just put "I can't decide." You really should have put a option for "A bit of both" or something. Ah well, hindsight is always 20/20. "

Just something I'll add to that old post though, more recently I've been playin Lineage 2, and the woman there, of most races at least, are hardly wearing any clothing at all. That is just distasteful I think. (and yes, I am a heterosexual male. There is still something to be said for modesty though.) So there I have more male than female characters. Taking Lineage 2 into account my ratio becomes 5 female to 8 male, but like I said the lack of decent clothing options skews that a bit. From what I've seen in PSU that won't be a problem.

Ash1ey
Jul 7, 2006, 06:41 AM
If someone is unhappy with what they are in real life, a game with character creation such as PSU, you can really make a character based on a fantasy of what you really wanted yourself to be

I know thats what my character on PSU is.

I'm playing as a female by the way.

Alisha
Jul 7, 2006, 06:49 AM
On 2006-07-07 04:25, isahn80 wrote:

On 2006-07-07 04:00, Alisha wrote:

your an idiot.

An idiot. Yes, an exceptionally witty insult fit for someone with my lack of understanding. I'll have you know I actually have MANY gay friends, and enjoy watching shows like Queer as Folk. My girlfriend is part of the local "Rocky Horror Picture Show" shadow cast, and I am well aquainted with the gays that are also associated.

Not that I need explain myself to YOU, but the reason that my friend creeped me out so much was that he began having sexual identity issues triggered by apparently investing too much emotional energy into his Everquest PC. I'd be willing to bet that these issues were just waiting for an outlet, and his female character just happened to be it. The identity crisis didn't faze me; I'd seen it before. What freaked me was that he was so emotionally involved with this fictional PC of his, that he began having all kinds of obsessive fantasies and other such wierdness beyond what I'm sure most people would consider normal. Perhaps I should have explained this in more detail from the start...?

I really don't care what gender anyone wants to play, but I find it a little unsettling that so many guys PREFER playing females. This is my opinion, and I never said it was right or wrong. If you still think I'm an idiot you can go fuck yourself, as this actually makes you a bigot.

your explanation did help yes. i dont know why discussions of character gender always gets so heated.
my only conclusion could be either guys dont want they cyber girls they hit on to turn out to be male or female > male superiority issues. of course theres always male pride i guess too. wich is the case for me except im a female. so it would be female pride.

isahn80
Jul 7, 2006, 06:52 AM
On 2006-07-07 04:41, Steve II wrote:
If someone is unhappy with what they are in real life, a game with character creation such as PSU, you can really make a character based on a fantasy of what you really wanted yourself to be

I know thats what my character on PSU is.

I'm playing as a female by the way.

I actually agree with this, as "Isahn" is basically my fantasy alter-ego, and I've been using him since first playing D&D when I was a kid. I've never actually wished I really WAS the guy, though. I mean, it's fun to sometimes fantasize about but that's it.

What I was saying earlier is regarding when this concept gets taken too far (i.e. the fantasy becomes your reality).

BTW are you saying you want to be female in real life?

Ash1ey
Jul 7, 2006, 06:53 AM
Yup, thats what i'm sayin

tank1
Jul 7, 2006, 06:59 AM
Ill be Male always have in games always will.

EnixBelmont
Jul 7, 2006, 06:59 AM
Eh, I say if you want to be a girl life, do it. SRS can't be too much money.

isahn80
Jul 7, 2006, 07:08 AM
your explanation did help yes. i dont know why discussions of character gender always gets so heated.
my only conclusion could be either guys dont want they cyber girls they hit on to turn out to be male or female > male superiority issues. of course theres always male pride i guess too. wich is the case for me except im a female. so it would be female pride.

I apologize for getting so upset, I just hate being called an idiot, especially by someone that doesn't know me.

I've never considered one gender superior to the other. I mean, both balance out more or less equally in the long run. If anyone wants to say anything different be ready for a lengthly debate I promise you I'll win (captain of my high scool debate team, plus I've written several essays and done extensive research about the matter). Of course, I'm talking about real life, not PSO where the women inexplicably have better stats. Sexism, I tell you...

As for the pride... I have pride in my gender but acknowledge its shortcomings, as any real man should. Recognizing your weaknesses allows you to focus on your strengths to mitigate your deficiences. For example, once I realized I was often thinking with my dick like most men, I quickly became disgusted with my superficiality and banal slavery to carnal instincts, and have sought to alter my behavioral thought patterns. This has been met with success (for example, I can deal with a physically attractive woman without staring at her rack, and the thought of hot lesbians does not excite me. How many straight men can admit THAT?) This allows me to focus my thoughts and energies on more useful endeavors.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: isahn80 on 2006-07-07 05:33 ]</font>

isahn80
Jul 7, 2006, 07:11 AM
On 2006-07-07 04:53, Steve II wrote:
Yup, thats what i'm sayin

Hmm... I guess that explains the "Princess" bit.

Like I mentioned earlier, this I have no problem with. Good luck if you decide to get surgery; I'm sure you know it's a little more complicated than a quick snip-snip.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: isahn80 on 2006-07-07 05:13 ]</font>

Ash1ey
Jul 7, 2006, 07:16 AM
Nah, I'm not gonna go throguh with it, but thanks though.

Mwabwetumba
Jul 7, 2006, 09:53 AM
My plans for a HUcast is increasingly growing in favor.. somehow the messages in this thread must have swayed my thoughts!

Wow.. and Im a person that is not easily swayed..again, wow!

hypersaxon
Jul 7, 2006, 10:22 AM
Assuming that we get at least 4 characters per account (hopefully more), I'll have at least one female character. But I think most of my characters will be male.

Inazuma
Jul 7, 2006, 10:29 AM
im a guy and i like to pick the strongest char when i play games, regardless of gender.

fonewm or fonewearl? it has to be fonewearl for me b/c they are simply better, stat wise.

and even tho i may play as a female char, i dont change how i act or talk. i still use "ore" to refer to myself, etc. i think ppl can tell im really male when they play w/ me.

ShadowTH1000
Jul 7, 2006, 02:45 PM
Most of my characters are going to be male, but maybe a female for vairity

isahn80
Jul 7, 2006, 03:05 PM
On 2006-07-07 08:29, Inazuma wrote:

and even tho i may play as a female char, i dont change how i act or talk. i still use "ore" to refer to myself, etc. i think ppl can tell im really male when they play w/ me.

That's cool. If you started actually PRETENDING you were a girl (I could just see some dude typing "oh no, my period's started again! Sorry if I go all PMS everyone...") I would probably be creeped out.

Really, if people want to role-play their female characters then fine, but I've met very few guys that can actually role-play a female to any degree of accuracy (the males I've known that unsuccessfully try this are the same people that hump their pillow until they're 25 because they can't get any).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: isahn80 on 2006-07-07 13:16 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
Jul 7, 2006, 04:57 PM
Well this went off course........ but I really should've expected it- I expected spam, not discussion >.>

isahn80
Jul 7, 2006, 05:08 PM
On 2006-07-07 14:57, SgtShligger wrote:
Well this went off course........ but I really should've expected it- I expected spam, not discussion >.>

Hmmm... I suppose I'm probably to blame for this. At least it didn't get spammed and sent to FKL.

DikkyRay
Jul 7, 2006, 05:19 PM
lol we'll see.

FlakariLeader
Jul 7, 2006, 10:48 PM
My main will be a male. It usually is on MMOs for me.

YohYoh
Jul 7, 2006, 10:50 PM
My main will probably be a male

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: YohYoh on 2006-07-07 20:51 ]</font>

SlaynCruz
Jul 7, 2006, 11:35 PM
All of my characters will likely be male. Not only do I not trust myself to properly rp a female, if I ever decide to do so, but I also don't want to bother with guys trying to hit on me. Although I suppose it could be faintly amusing every now and then, it'd just get annoying. Fast.

Sgt_Shligger
Jul 7, 2006, 11:54 PM
I never put in my opinion on the matter!

I plan on making two character actually...... one will be a male ranger and the other will be a female force or ranger.... depends if the ranger class disappoints me this time around. I'll act like myself on both characters... so basically, I will be a suicidal, blade swinging idiot who won't play his proper role.

Pyronin
Jul 8, 2006, 03:01 PM
Still deciding, probably gonna make both male and female just for kicks.