PDA

View Full Version : $200,000 says that ST declares all previous PS games gaiden.

Omega_Nova
Jul 7, 2006, 02:22 PM
It's probably for the best before waves of people start whining about the plot line when the game is released.

Now, look at the facts here, looking for a plothole in PSO is about as hard as breathing air, not only that PSO royally screwed over the traditional Phantasy Star plot line on numerous cases. To fix all that and weave together a single plot line would be difficult for the most talented writer, never mind the Sonic Team staff.

Still not convinced? Look at every series ST has touched since it's reappeared during the dreamcast era. Not a single one carried over the previous plotline:

Sonic... No
Puyo Puyo... No
Phantasy Star... Hell no.

Compelling evidence that ST can't maintain a functional plot line, much less fix the current one.

Needless to say, I'm most likely going to play through this game once and put it to rest.

TheGreyCliche
Jul 7, 2006, 02:31 PM
maybe they just like to keep things interesting, new, and original... instead of having the same boss fights and the same motif over and over again (really princess, how many times is mario going to have to rescue you?).

i don't mind differen't story lines. not one bit.

EDIT: ^as long as it's still good...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheGreyCliche on 2006-07-07 12:32 ]</font>

Alielle
Jul 7, 2006, 02:33 PM
The PSO and PSU plotlines were never supposed to be connected to the previous games. Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily.

ajenteks
Jul 7, 2006, 02:40 PM
On 2006-07-07 12:33, Alielle wrote:
The PSO and PSU plotlines were never supposed to be connected to the previous games. Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily.

No Rico can't be a bad thing at all.

isahn80
Jul 7, 2006, 02:47 PM
Well, as much as I'd like to see a PSV set in Algo, I must admit you have a valid point. After all, PSIV pretty much wrapped up the first 4 games.

I think the most we'll see in PSU are some easter eggs from past PS games. I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if there was more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: isahn80 on 2006-07-07 12:47 ]</font>

Parn
Jul 7, 2006, 02:48 PM
Who the hell plays Sonic or Puyo Puyo for the plot? Are you for real.

$200,000 says you aren't smart enough to just not buy the game despite being already convinced that it'll suck.

ajenteks
Jul 7, 2006, 02:53 PM
On 2006-07-07 12:48, Parn wrote:

$200,000 says you aren't smart enough to just not buy the game despite being already convinced that it'll suck.

/clap

VR-Raiden
Jul 7, 2006, 03:03 PM
On 2006-07-07 12:53, ajenteks wrote:

/clap

Saner
Jul 7, 2006, 03:19 PM
Compelling evidence that ST can't maintain a functional plot line, much less fix the current one.

There is nothing that needs to be fixed in the plotline, they are starting over with a new fresh story and timeline.

classic PS already completed its legacy.

PSO already had its resolution.

now PSU has something new, with storytelling much stronger than PSO, so it's really learned from classic PS while offering the gameplay goodness of PSO's online multiplayer and improvements and stuff.

so PSU really has all its bases covered.

and the offline story looks to have a large cast of characters with a solar system like PS's, yet with a new rich history and cultures and more!

so really, Sonic Team has made the smart choice making PSU not linked to the other games stories, while learning from the past and improving the upcoming one with the best of both worlds! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

MAGNUShunter
Jul 7, 2006, 06:11 PM
What's the big one?
FF has no recurring plot lines(with a few exceptions)yet everyone loves FF.
I think you may be over-analyzing.
Just relax and enjoy the game for what it is.
Also, it's good to go outside once in awhile...meet chicks and stuff.

PJ
Jul 7, 2006, 06:24 PM
On 2006-07-07 12:22, Omega_Nova wrote:
Still not convinced? Look at every series ST has touched since it's reappeared during the dreamcast era. Not a single one carried over the previous plotline:

Sonic... No

Have you even played a Sonic game post Dreamcast era? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Saiffy
Jul 7, 2006, 06:36 PM
Someone didn't play all of PSO either. If you pay attention to all the story from all 4 episodes, there isn't any plot holes.

Some things may be unknown, but name one game thats story doesn't have the vast, glorious unknown.(And this leaves room for fanfics)

Sevenfold
Jul 7, 2006, 06:39 PM
On 2006-07-07 13:03, VR-Raiden wrote:

On 2006-07-07 12:53, ajenteks wrote:

/clap

*dbl clap*

Ash1ey
Jul 7, 2006, 06:58 PM
PSO's story is really kick ass if you pay attention to it, and really go into detail/analyse alot of things.. I absolutley love how mysterious it is, all the speculation, theories I did with 1&2's story was so much fun.

And i forgot to mention

/tripple clap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve II on 2006-07-07 17:00 ]</font>

FlakariLeader
Jul 7, 2006, 10:30 PM
ST probably wanted to give PSO/PSU a fresh new story and make it original and creative, not being bound by a past storyline.

/quadruple clap

MAGNUShunter
Jul 8, 2006, 12:35 AM
On 2006-07-07 16:58, Steve II wrote:
PSO's story is really kick ass if you pay attention to it, and really go into detail/analyse alot of things.. I absolutley love how mysterious it is, all the speculation, theories I did with 1&2's story was so much fun.

Seriously. It was an awesome story. If you were paying attention and reading all the clues left behind, by the time you got to the end...just awesome.

I think that this touches on a main problem with gamers these days. Patience. How many people did stick with the plot and read every clue?

People say that the story of PSO1 was lacking. (and the game won so many awards and recieved such high scores everywhere dispite what people said!) I never felt that way. I thought it was a perfect balance of on and offline playability. I am just so excited to play Universe and be able to go that much more deeper. To me, the new offline is like an extra treat for those who realy enjoyed PSO and got into it.

Imagine how much MORE acclaim PSO1/2 would have recieved if everyone who played it actualy experienced the whole thing!

Kimil
Jul 8, 2006, 02:05 AM
I don't give a damn if the stories arren't linked to PSI, II, III or IV...
Look at the FF series, the plot in each game is different, with the acception of a few plot links like with FFTA and FFXII's worlds and FFX-FFX2

Saner
Jul 8, 2006, 02:32 AM
it's in fact good its not linked to the classic PS games otherwise they risk ruining the lore those games established.

and PSO's time and place was rather boring, centered around a single planet. if they linked PSU to PSO, it might not have grown into a story about a solar system consisting of 3 accessible planets and a space colony. and we might not have been given the new Beast race if PSU was linked to PSO's story,

as well as other great elements PSU CAN DO right now since it's free from any rules and styles from the other Phantasy Star games.

so starting again with a clean slate is often the best choice to make a new Phantasy Star that is just as great, and in some cases, even better than the ones before it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Nai_Calus
Jul 8, 2006, 02:44 AM
On 2006-07-07 16:36, Saiffy wrote:
Someone didn't play all of PSO either. If you pay attention to all the story from all 4 episodes, there isn'taren't any plot holes.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA HAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

*cough*

So wow, Ep4 explains exactly what happens to Calus and Elly, ties up EVERY single random bit of forgotten whatever(Dr. Calus, anyone?), explains all of EPISODE THREE'S plotholes, and brings everything all together in this massive coherent ball of wow? Well shit, I gotta play that now. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

No, if you pay attention to ALL the story in even just the three episodes available on GC, your head hurts. Ep3 contradicts Ep1&2, hardcore. Ep1 and Ep2 even get squicky with continuity between them, hell.

PSO has no plotholes, right. And I'm a muskcat.

PSU will invaribly spawn a PSU2, etc. And invariably, they will not all match up. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif It's probably for the best that they're starting from scratch, come to think of it, given their inability to be even remotely consistent these days. >_>;

Mewn
Jul 8, 2006, 07:10 AM
y halo different continuities.

Jozon
Jul 8, 2006, 08:45 AM
/quintuple clap

/ownage on

seriously, go get an emulator, play the games, and then talk about it

/ownage off

PJ
Jul 8, 2006, 09:05 AM
On 2006-07-08 00:44, Ian-KunX wrote:
So wow, Ep4 explains exactly what happens to Calus and Elly

Maybe they aren't important enough to be finished off? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

ties up EVERY single random bit of forgotten whatever(Dr. Calus, anyone?)

Again, not important enough

explains all of EPISODE THREE'S plotholes, and brings everything all together in this massive coherent ball of wow? Well shit, I gotta play that now. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Did you play Episode 3 (I already know you did, shhh XD)? I played both stories many times over. I still haven't found any problems with the plot.

Pheromone
Jul 8, 2006, 09:53 AM
so we are insuloting the thread creator?
/5 clap

Ryo_Hayasa
Jul 8, 2006, 09:57 AM
what plot hole does sonic have eh?

Ikubi
Jul 8, 2006, 11:24 AM

Um, I do. >_> I was a Sonic fan way before PS. And there is a story to Sonic, if you played the games, read the comics, watched the cartoons, etc, etc. xD /Sonic fangurl rant over

So yesh, I play Sonic for the story as well as gamplay. ;p

Jozon
Jul 8, 2006, 01:32 PM
On 2006-07-08 09:24, Ikubi wrote:

Um, I do. >_> I was a Sonic fan way before PS. And there is a story to Sonic, if you played the games, read the comics, watched the cartoons, etc, etc. xD /Sonic fangurl rant over

So yesh, I play Sonic for the story as well as gamplay. ;p

aww snap, you just got owned http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jozon on 2006-07-08 11:32 ]</font>

Saner
Jul 8, 2006, 01:34 PM
Sonic Adventure 1 had the 2nd greatest Sonic story ever. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

SatAM has the best Sonic plot though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Saiffy
Jul 8, 2006, 01:40 PM
On 2006-07-08 00:44, Ian-KunX wrote:
*some stuff*

Yeah, all that leaves room for fanfics, unexplained, not plot holes :>

OH YEAH, AND HERES A TIP FOR EVERYONE. AT THE END OF PSO, PIONEER 2 LANDS ON RAGOL. THE END. Making all side stories absolutely moot and finished, even if we never hear about them being finished, they are. They wouldn't land on Ragol if it was such a dangerous place, afterall. Theres a whole 21 years we don't see happen, sure, they tell us some stuff in between, but it's still a long time.

Because of the unexplained, I could just easilly say the Control Towers were destroyed before Episode 3, and I wouldn't be wrong. There's no proof they still exist, afterall(And Caelum isn't the Control Towers, I dunno who would be dumb enough to think that, but yeah). Elly could be dead for all we know, she could be alive.

And episode 4s story DOES finish itself off, it even fills in a few blanks of episode 2s, if you read what every NPC has to say(They also give absolute proof episode 4 is after episode 2).

Frankly, I'm thinking the only way ST could really screw up PSU, is if they had Dark Falz/Force or something to that extent, since it was destroyed permenantly at the end of episode 3.

Then again, all I typed means nothing, I forgot the number one rule to be a fan of something: Hate it with all you heart and always look at the negative first.

Saner
Jul 8, 2006, 01:45 PM
Frankly, I'm thinking the only way ST could really screw up PSU, is if they had Dark Falz/Force or something to that extent, since it was destroyed permenantly at the end of episode 3.

PSU is not linked to PSO, so having a Dark Force would not be a bad thing at all.

since considering before PSO, Dark Force and Profound Darkness were destroyed permanently in classic Phantasy Stars timeline.

Nai_Calus
Jul 8, 2006, 02:11 PM
PJ, as usual, you lose yourself in picking on an example and completely miss the point.

(Also, considering that Seat of the Heart was really the only major plot quest for Episode 2, they obviously thought it was important enough to continue that storyline from Knowing One's Heart in Ep1 to Elly's presence and gushing about Cal in Ep2's regular offline story mode to SotH. As much attention as they've paid to it and as much time and importance as they gave it, it's actually rather strange that they'd never resolve it.) (No, BSM doesn't count, I'd place that more as an Ep3 quest, actually, as what we'd consider 'Ep2' is long done with and over by then.)

(Yes, I know that my example of loose ends is relatively unimportant, but it's an example of things that get thrown around and then forgotten, which happens a lot in PSO. XP)

(And how you can fail to notice the myriad problems with Ep3... I honestly don't know, but from you it really doesn't surprise me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif )

Edit: Saiffy, you ph4il it so hard it's not even funny. No shit? Fanfics can be written to explain plotholes? Well bloody DUH, but that's hardly canon.(Despite what some people think. 9_9) Some of the shit they left hanging can be explained in two seconds. Have some NPC babble about it randomly. You know how much shit Ep3 could have taken care of without even trying? But no. Despite your 'lolz u don't think pso is perfect u must h8 it' attitude, I actually like PSO a great deal, which is why it upsets me so much that ST has consistently done such a shitty job with it.

And EpIV's plot can't be that great if threads clamoring for people to discuss it and talk about what happens go ignored. D: But I guess most people are just playing it for the overpowered crap. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif Forget that noise. (Frankly I'd like to see someone care enough to type up a script, or at least talk about the plot, since it's supposedly so wonderful, I maintain a vague curiosity, but not enough to download a 400+MB file on dialup or buy a $100 graphics card for this pile of crap computer so I can play it on the lowest settings. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ian-KunX on 2006-07-08 12:43 ]</font>

PJ
Jul 8, 2006, 02:38 PM
On 2006-07-08 12:11, Ian-KunX wrote:
(And how you can fail to notice the myriad problems with Ep3... I honestly don't know, but from you it really doesn't surprise me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif )

I know this is supposed to be insulting, but I actually think it's funny http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

On 2006-07-08 11:40, Saiffy wrote:

Actually, I'd think having him permanently dead would screw up the storyline. Since he's never permanently dead, he always comes back every 1000 years, and was in every PS game (Or, most? He's in a lot of them!), and I just don't want to not see Dark Falz in PSU. I mean, technically, they always kill him. Even though they attacked him in his, "Development stage," I don't think that actually would be his end. Just my own problem with it anyways >_>;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2006-07-08 12:43 ]</font>

Parn
Jul 8, 2006, 02:39 PM
On 2006-07-08 09:24, Ikubi wrote:
And there is a story to Sonic
Yeah, a story that's about as in-depth as Mario's. More power to you for liking the character, but let's be serious here. Saturday morning cartoons hardly drive a convincing point home.