PDA

View Full Version : The New Force System.

drkoolguy
Jul 7, 2006, 04:51 PM
Hmmm... From what i read, the new force system dosn't seem all that great. Your weapon is now your tp source? You have to have a wand or a cane to cast? No more battle FO with a double bladed saber? It just seems so... stupid to me. I've been a pso player since v1, hell, i even played old phanasty star, and i am very partial to fo's... But with this new system they're working with.... I just don't know...

Could anyone clear this up for me? I'm rocking back and forth in a fetal position in my chair saying "sega, please don't mess this up."

Comments are welcome too!

ryuartyi
Jul 7, 2006, 05:04 PM
Well, on PSU, force can be mixed with let's say hunter attributes. This way you can use spells of forces, along with battling like hunters.

Saner
Jul 7, 2006, 05:07 PM
I think it makes sense having Techs channeled through a Force-type weapon.

it's kind of how Gandalf can't use some magic without a staff.

it seems more natural and interesting this way.

Besides I think even Force weapon Photon Points slowly regenerate overtime.

and there are items to replenish Photon Points faster.

plus you can carry multiple weapons and have different Force weapons with different techs for each one.

so there is still some depth with this new Force system! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Pure-chan
Jul 7, 2006, 05:41 PM
On 2006-07-07 15:07, Saner wrote:

Besides I think even Force weapon Photon Points slowly regenerate overtime.

I could be way off, but I thought FO regenerated PP more quickly than any of the other classes..?

Kers
Jul 7, 2006, 06:31 PM
Yes, it's been assumed that the endurance stat effects PP regeneration.

tank1
Jul 7, 2006, 06:36 PM
Also correct me if im wrong but are forces not meant for support? I mean all the FO players in PSO who went Darth Maul on everything werent really supporting. I think ST wants forces to be true spell casters now e.g. sit back and hurl lightning etc not go upside monsters heads with a light saber.

Kers
Jul 7, 2006, 06:41 PM
Yeah Forces play as casters. And you can't use other job attributes you've gained. For example, if you raised your guns lvl to 5 as a ranger, it won't be 5 as a force.

drkoolguy
Jul 7, 2006, 08:11 PM
mmm... I still don't know about the whole new force system.. It just seems kind of stupid. Well i'm going to play story for the first day or so to get a hang of it, so I'll see how it works on that.

Spellbinder
Jul 7, 2006, 08:16 PM
On 2006-07-07 16:36, tank1 wrote:
Also correct me if im wrong but are forces not meant for support? I mean all the FO players in PSO who went Darth Maul on everything werent really supporting.

Only if they're not smart. A good meleeing Force knows that Shifta/Deband/Jellen/Zalure is essential for good damage, but that's not really the point. As a force who did melee from time to time, I'm looking forward to the role they've given Forces in team situations, as well as the new spells. *drools a bit*

Kupi
Jul 7, 2006, 09:06 PM
On 2006-07-07 18:16, Spellbinder wrote:

On 2006-07-07 16:36, tank1 wrote:
Also correct me if im wrong but are forces not meant for support? I mean all the FO players in PSO who went Darth Maul on everything werent really supporting.

Only if they're not smart. A good meleeing Force knows that Shifta/Deband/Jellen/Zalure is essential for good damage, but that's not really the point. As a force who did melee from time to time, I'm looking forward to the role they've given Forces in team situations, as well as the new spells. *drools a bit*

Right. It's entirely possible to play support and still melee (or range, if you want to be anal about the technicality). In fact, it was generally a better way to get damage out of your TP bar; Shifta doesn't increase tech damage, after all.

It looks like what they're doing this time around is that Forces have the best Techs (naturally) and can also do a bit of Ranger work (since they get two unique guns). Similarly, Rangers are the best gun-users, and can perform somewhat adequately with melee weapons. Then, you have Hunters, who are the best with melee weapons but can also use... um... some guns. If I were designing the game, I would've given them minimal gun capacity and partial Force skills (like, the ability to equip Canes and half the Tech PA cap of a Force), just to balance out all the partial classes and placate the "magic swordsman" people like myself. Ah well. [/tangent]

DizzyDi
Jul 7, 2006, 10:03 PM
I heard somewhere that later on you will be able to have sorta of a sub-job thing goin on. So like you could be a lvl10 FO and sub a lvl 5 Hunter and get the abilities of both. If thats possible you might be able to melee force somewhere along the line.

drkoolguy
Jul 7, 2006, 10:12 PM
~_~ I'd hate for psu to be just another ffxi....

DizzyDi
Jul 7, 2006, 11:36 PM
On 2006-07-07 20:12, drkoolguy wrote:
~_~ I'd hate for psu to be just another ffxi....

Prolly won't be. Seeing as how theres only 3 classes and each of the combonations could work well, just depends on your play style.

AlaskaMan
Jul 7, 2006, 11:49 PM
YEah the new force system is stupid... Shouldnt they just leave it be just the way it is in epi 1 and 2? They made the force system in epi 1 and 2 rocking, but what i heard of this new force system is kinda stupid. Its like ffxi they change everything in the game -.- which ticks me off that they should leave the classes left alone.

DizzyDi
Jul 8, 2006, 12:20 AM
Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

DraginHikari
Jul 8, 2006, 06:27 AM
I don't know this for sure (someone who knows correct me if I'm wrong) but can't forces still use some melee weapons as well as FO weapons, I thought I saw a FO-type in one of the beta videos using a saber and a spear. I mean if you attach your support techs to a FO weapon cast and revert to the melee weapon wouldn't it work about the same?

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 8, 2006, 07:42 AM
I think you can also double equip a wand and a saber so that probably means that you can cast magic while smacking enemies around if you want.

Kyuu
Jul 8, 2006, 09:50 AM
On 2006-07-08 05:42, Shiroryuu wrote:
I think you can also double equip a wand and a saber so that probably means that you can cast magic while smacking enemies around if you want.

You can't double equip a wand and a saber, as they are both right-hand weapons, I believe. You could equip a handgun and a wand at the same time, for example, as handguns are left-hand weapons. However, considering how quick and easy it is to switch between weapons in PSU, it would be a fairly simple matter to switch between a casting weapon such as a wand and a saber-handgun combo or somesuch, if you're intent on trying to melee as a force.

TheGreyCliche
Jul 8, 2006, 07:52 PM
i thought i heard a similiar rumor about a 'subjob' type deal. it sounded alot different to the ffxi system, and leaves alot of questions. i guess we just won't know for sure until the games out, as i doubt anyone in the beta was allowed to get to that point.

hypersaxon
Jul 8, 2006, 08:04 PM
On 2006-07-08 07:50, Kyuu wrote:

However, considering how quick and easy it is to switch between weapons in PSU, it would be a fairly simple matter to switch between a casting weapon such as a wand and a saber-handgun combo or somesuch, if you're intent on trying to melee as a force.

Yeah, I think people are forgetting that they can just simply switch weapons after they're done buffing with Shifta/Deband and still be a battle mage of sorts.

BTW speaking of Forces using Hunter weapons, does anyone know which Hunter weapons a Force can use?

-Klaus-
Jul 8, 2006, 08:11 PM
Forces can use all level 1 hunter weapons, but nothing beyond that. That's what I've heard as far as meleeing goes for forces, I believe.

EnixBelmont
Jul 9, 2006, 09:27 AM
Level 1 PAs, IIRC.

I think they can use Spears, Sabers, and Daggers, like Rangers.

mechatra
Jul 9, 2006, 09:45 AM
^ And dual daggers, which ranger can't use IIRC