PDA

View Full Version : No Offline. In a way...

MAGNUShunter
Jul 8, 2006, 09:56 AM
Online character saving is gonna be saved server side. So this means that unless you have a connection, you cant just play the game with your ONLINE character by yourself OFFLINE.

PSO gave you the "feeling" of an offline mode because you could play your online character offline. (or for some who started offline, it was the other way around, you played your offline char online!)

I think that a lot of people are going to miss being able to work on their characters offline and "beef em up" in private. Also, there will be no escape from the immature "craziness" of 14year-old lobby/city prepubescents. Sometimes it was good to take a break and just cill-out offline. Also, I played through offline mainly so that I could explore and discover all of the story elements on my own.

ST, knowing that some people would not understand the technical reasons for not being able to play your character in both modes, had to come up with something that makes PSO1/2 fans feel like they still have the OFFLINE option. Only the way it is set up, it's almost like a wast of time for some to play offline who purely want the online experience.

1) Sever-side saving will protect the game against cheaters, but disable one from exploring and leveling offline with thier online character. This creates a slight sense of "unbalance" when comparing PSU to PSO's playstyle. (Again, I'm just making a point, I understand the need for the new style)

2) What you do offline has no bearing on what happens online. Again, this is not what PSO1/2 fans are used to. The two offline modes (unless they are done extremly well) may turn out to serve as distractions to the above fact.

---------------------------------------

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MAGNUShunter on 2006-07-08 15:28 ]</font>

EnixBelmont
Jul 8, 2006, 10:06 AM
We know. Extra mode is there for people who dont have online, and Story mode is there too. Just level your character in private games. It may have a solo option like BB too.

Inazuma
Jul 8, 2006, 01:38 PM
uh, you can just set a password on all the online games you create. its not a matter of online or offline thats bothering you, its the choice of single player or multiplayer. well, that choice is still there, so dont worry.

Saner
Jul 8, 2006, 01:48 PM
training a online character offline too is what they want to avoid.

otherwise people can easily hack that character and use them online.

Extra mode is basically online mode minus multiplayer.

heck, multiplayer is really what online mode is all about.

RFB
Jul 8, 2006, 03:46 PM
On 2006-07-08 07:56, MAGNUShunter wrote:

I think that a lot of people are going to miss being able to work on their characters offline and "beef em up" in private.

As Inazuma said, password protected game.

Also, there will be no escape from the immature "craziness" of 14year-old lobby/city prepubescents.

True, but now if they enter your team, and you're the leader, you can kick them goodbye!

Also, I played through offline mainly so that I could explore and discover all of the story elements on my own.

Uhh... you know that there's a story mode for this game... right? A full fledged story mode, with characters, movies and whatnots...

ST, knowing that some people would not understand the technical reasons for not being able to play your character in both modes, had to come up with something that makes PSO1/2 fans feel like they still have the OFFLINE option. Only the way it is set up, it's almost like a wast of time for some to play offline who purely want the offline experience.

If you purely want the offline experience, then, why is it a waste? I dont get this part.

1) Sever-side saving will protect the game against cheaters, but disable one from exploring and leveling offline with thier online character. This creates a slight sense of "unbalance" when comparing PSU to PSO's playstyle. (Again, I'm just making a point, I understand the need for the new style)

Once more, password protected games. And you can probably explore no problem in extra mode.

2) What you do offline has no bearing on what happens online. Again, this is not what PSO1/2 fans are used to. The two offline modes (unless they are done extremly well) may turn out to serve as distractions to the above fact.

Personally, I find this as a good thing, but I guess this one is down to each one's opinion.

Sevenfold
Jul 8, 2006, 04:55 PM
Honestly RFB he sounds like mindless banter. You really need to get a few more facts before you start bashing PSU MAGNUShunter. Besides, to me, it sounds like you prefer alot of soloing and offline gaming. In which case, is PSU really a game you would enjoy to begin with? Outside of the story mode, its really a online oriented game. You know....with people...and socializing.

MAGNUShunter
Jul 8, 2006, 05:25 PM
WOW you guys are touchy! This post was no way intended as a bash. I love PSO and can barely wait for PSU.
I was just sharing my thoughts regarding what I think the reasons for the changes.
If you thought I was bashing then you totaly misunderstood me.

On 2006-07-08 13:46, RFB wrote:

Uhh... you know that there's a story mode for this game... right? A full fledged story mode, with characters, movies and whatnots...

No. I had know idea. Thx for telling me! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Obviously my point was that the story mode does not involve YOUR character as the main. Your character cannot take part in the full fledged offline story. Unless I am mistaken.

If you purely want the offline experience, then, why is it a waste? I dont get this part.
My point was not that I want a purely offline experience. My fault. Mistype(what i get for typing first thing in the moring-will fix.) I meant that for those who only care about online-offline is a wast of time for them. I will correct that now.

Once more, password protected games. And you can probably explore no problem in extra mode.
You are correct of course. But again, what I mean is that you cannot use your character in the main story. This is mainly what I was reffering to. Sorry for confusion. However, if you still feel the need to flame me. I am here for you Bro. You can lean on me.

Again, Sevenfold, this post was not a bash. But if thinking that way makes you feel better about your day. I'm glad I could help you out. Peace out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MAGNUShunter on 2006-07-08 15:35 ]</font>

hypersaxon
Jul 8, 2006, 06:58 PM
I think people have taken the classic RPG for granted. PSU's story mode is suppose to be like a classic RPG, something that a lot of people (including myself) have wanted for a long time. Obviously Sonic Team knows this, and also knows that they need to satisfy the cravings of their PSO fanbase as well. That's why everything is the way it is in PSU.

I don't see why people think it's even a good idea to be able to play an online character offline. I would rather sacrifice PSO's offline mode and play exclusively online than to have yet another outlet for people to hack and ruin this game. Plus PSO was absolutely boring offline, at least in PSU you get a full-fledged 40 hour RPG with character development, voice acting, an interesting plotline, and all that. If I'm gonna stand around and read text bubbles from NPCs with a custom character, I'd rather do that online. And like people have said, if you want to train your character before getting into parties, then just make a private party.

MAGNUShunter
Jul 8, 2006, 07:24 PM
So, are you saying that you don't think it would have been cool to play through the main story (cut scenes and all) with the character YOU created? At the end of the game, I thought it was kinda cool to see your character involved in all the still shots from every level. While the stills werent cut scenes, it was still great to see. (Cut scenes vs. still shots? no contest! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

Again, as I said above "i understand the need for the new style." It has to be that way in order to protect us all from cheats. (like I also said http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

hypersaxon
Jul 8, 2006, 07:33 PM
Who's to say there won't be cutscenes and storyline in the online mode? I don't think anyone's seen enough of online mode to say that there won't be missions similar to those found in PSO. I think Blue Burst actually has the offline missions available online if I'm not mistaken, I haven't played it before so correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not that I don't like having my character in story mode, it's that if I'm going to play by myself, I want something a helluva lot more interesting than PSO's offline mode. Plus I'm a fan of classic RPGs so being able to play PSU's story mode with actual characters and all that is really nice. And like I said, Sonic Team might make something like PSO's story missions available online for people like you who want that sort of thing.

RFB
Jul 8, 2006, 07:45 PM
On 2006-07-08 15:25, MAGNUShunter wrote:However, if you still feel the need to flame me. I am here for you Bro. You can lean on me.

Woah woah flame you!? o_O I had no intention to make my post look like a flaming. My apologies if it looked like it.

Anyway: no, your character cant take part in the main offline story. Then again, it seems like story mode and online/extra mode have a different story, in the same timeline.
More exactly, it seems like online/extra mode takes place 3 years after story mode, and well, there may be a story attached to these 2 modes, we cant know for sure yet tho.

About offline/online split... well, I never really saw anything good in playing offline, if you could go online and play with your friends, or make new friends, except for unlocking the areas. Then again, thats just my opinion.

And yeah you cant use your created character to exlpore the world in story mode, then again, the areas in story mode, extra mode and online mode are most likely all the same, with some slight differences probably to fit the story in the story mode, but it'll probably be the same places in all 3 modes, so I guess you can just explore online.