PDA

View Full Version : Question on "Skill Points"

Flamingo99
Jul 8, 2006, 01:17 PM
I think they're called skill points...

But what I'm talking about are the points which you put into lets say... "Sword" when your hunter gains a level, IIRC. I was wondering if you can take out these points and put them into different a weapon class.

Saner
Jul 8, 2006, 01:26 PM
that wouldn't make sense.

if you train with a Sword you will get better using a Sword.

that would be silly simply 'converting' one's Sword experience into Spear experience. etc. etc. lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

that would just lead to loopholes where people won't bother training each weapon type individually and just shift all of their points to whatever weapon they want to use next. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Flamingo99
Jul 8, 2006, 01:36 PM
I guess that makes sense... but when you hit the max level then what? Unless leveling up isn't the only way to get skill points, then the weapon development would stagnate when you hit the max level. I just don't want to mess up skill points in a weapon that I later on do not find useful anymore.

Saner
Jul 8, 2006, 01:40 PM
well that's life.

if you want try some other weapon you have to earn experience with it from scratch just like every other weapon.

oh and level experience is not linked to weapon class.

I believe even max level, you can still rank up with any weapons you haven't mastered yet.

so players are not 'stuck' when they reach max level.

Flamingo99
Jul 8, 2006, 01:42 PM
... So the more you use a weapon class the more points go into it?

Or is it like when you gain a level, you get 1 skill point and can put that one point into any weapon class your character class can use?

Kupi
Jul 8, 2006, 01:44 PM
As far as I know, skill levels related to the weapon are a function of your class level. So, if you level up Hunter, you get better at all Hunter weapons. These class levels are completely seperate from your experience level. Finally, the skill levels for the Photon Arts are also levelled up individually through use of the PA.

In short: experience levels, class levels, and Photon Art levels are all unaffected by one another, and in the case of class and PA levels, it doesn't matter what you level up-- you can max out everything (it seems).

Flamingo99
Jul 8, 2006, 01:49 PM
Ok.

Thanks for the help Saner and Kupi.

TheGreyCliche
Jul 8, 2006, 02:55 PM
good questions... good answers. thanks.

Pyronin
Jul 8, 2006, 03:38 PM
What I'd like to see is if you use the sword a lot you become stronger using it, also you can become stronger (but slower) with other weapons similar to that weapon, like a spear. And even though a saber is not as similar to a sword as a spear is, you would become faster possibly. But, thats what I would like to see.

Saner
Jul 8, 2006, 03:42 PM
slower? I think the large weapons are swung slow enough. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

EnixBelmont
Jul 8, 2006, 04:01 PM
It'd be awesome if weapon proficiency affected speed. No more god/battle hunting XD

Pyronin
Jul 8, 2006, 07:04 PM
I didnt mean the weapon would attack slower, you would just become stronger slower when using a different weapon, the sword and spear are similar correct? Well if you become strong with either weapon, you wont have to start from scratch on the other weapon you'd already be somewhat strong from gaining experience from teh similar weapon. Get my drift?

Saner
Jul 9, 2006, 04:40 PM
stronget slower? huh?????

well of course starting to train with a new weapon, you start from scratch with that type.

Pyronin
Jul 9, 2006, 05:06 PM
Ok, let me put this in a way I think anyone could understand. Imagine this, I have been training with a sword the entire game, I mastered sword type weapons at this point. Lets say the master level is 100, I have also gained skill levels on other weapons similar to the sword. Without even touching a spear I have gained skill level say...25 or 50. Understand?

Saner
Jul 9, 2006, 05:21 PM
ya but spear and swords are two different styles.

it wouldn't make sense to skill up with spear while using a sword. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-07-09 15:21 ]</font>

hypersaxon
Jul 9, 2006, 05:28 PM
Okay, skilling up weapons is most likely the same as skilling up Photon Arts. You use the weapon, then as you kill things with the weapon a bar slowly goes up, and when it is full then you gain a skill level for that weapon.

The points that you are referring to that you earn from missions are to level up your class, which if I'm correct doesn't really have anything to do with your weapon skill at all, probably just boosts your stats.

Saner
Jul 9, 2006, 05:43 PM
see?

and ya'll expected to skill up more than 1 weapon type at once! hmph! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif that would make things a tad too easy. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

even FF11 (as much as I hate to mention it), skills up weapons individually based on their use, which makes sense.

a one handed sword master must still learn two-handed sword wielding from scratch, just like any other weapon they have little to no experience using.

PALRAPPYS
Jul 9, 2006, 08:14 PM
Let's just hope it's not super easy to max out stats like in some other games. Gosh! Some people had max out in one but worst in all the rest!

Foxix
Jul 9, 2006, 08:15 PM
knowing how hard ST's made it to max out ANYTHING in the PSO series without cheating im gonna say it'll be mighty difficult

PALRAPPYS
Jul 9, 2006, 08:17 PM
I sure hope, Foxix! Well in the beta the best I saw were rank B and they were lv. 32'ers and such! And it'll probably get harder per rank level.

Pyronin
Jul 9, 2006, 09:03 PM
On 2006-07-09 15:43, Saner wrote:
see?

and ya'll expected to skill up more than 1 weapon type at once! hmph! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif that would make things a tad too easy. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

even FF11 (as much as I hate to mention it), skills up weapons individually based on their use, which makes sense.

a one handed sword master must still learn two-handed sword wielding from scratch, just like any other weapon they have little to no experience using.

I didn't expect it, I wished it. I know its not gonna happen but I think it would be cool and more realistic to me. I know the spear and sword are 2 different styles, but the sword is big and the spear is big, you can slash and you can stab with both. Thats similar enough to me. And its not just those two weapons it all the other weapons and whatever weapons they are similar to.

Sev
Jul 9, 2006, 10:26 PM
On 2006-07-09 15:43, Saner wrote:
see?

To simply point out something here. If this skillup is like FFXI exactly... Be prepared to cry.

The fact that you level up a weapon as you use it makes sense. The difficulty to level up a weapon in FFXI... Is simply ridiculous. No matter how many times I swing and land my Great Axe, the skill doesn't move... why... Why doesn't it move?

Sorry... Just... Flashbacks is all.

Alisha
Jul 9, 2006, 10:50 PM
it was only bad in ffxi when trying to level a weapon that was behind or that you dont normally use,since in ffxi your weapon level is tied to your accuracy. i think the way you get weapon level ups in PSU will be closer to Disgaea,where you need a certain amount of swings,kills,skilled used.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-07-09 20:51 ]</font>

Sev
Jul 9, 2006, 11:57 PM
On 2006-07-09 20:50, Alisha wrote:
it was only bad in ffxi when trying to level a weapon that was behind or that you dont normally use,since in ffxi your weapon level is tied to your accuracy. i think the way you get weapon level ups in PSU will be closer to Disgaea,where you need a certain amount of swings,kills,skilled used.

Which is fine with me... But even on FFXI it didn't always work that way. You could keep hitting and hitting up a level would just stay still. Then you'd eventually get sick of it, which I noticed almost all Warriors do and just stick with one weapon on the other and go back and skill up later. Later on you have more EXP to gain so it's easier to keep multiple weapons leveled.

Zinsian
Jul 10, 2006, 12:34 AM
Your skill level (for a certain weapon), would increase as you use it ((that certain weapon)). As it not only increases your weapon skill ((for a certain weapon)), you recieved experience points ((NOT for a certain weapon)) from killing monsters which increases your major stats ((overall level, strength, speed, mst, ata, etc.)) Plus your major experience and level adds a bonus to your skill level ((for a certain weapon or skill)).
That easy enough?? Or do you want more explanations ((with more parentheses http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif))

Saner
Jul 10, 2006, 12:57 AM
no that made sense when I read it twice. thank you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-07-09 22:58 ]</font>

turtle323
Jul 10, 2006, 02:21 AM
i have a question wat if u master one job complete and decide to change job will all the points go away?

mechatra
Jul 10, 2006, 08:14 AM
By job I'm assuming you mean Hunter Ranger and Force?

If so, you're job levels stay even when you change job, for example, you're character is lvl 40 - and is a lvl 18 hunter

You change to a force and lvl up to a lvl 45 char at lvl 7 force.

If you chose to switch back you would still be a lvl 18 hunter.

TheGreyCliche
Jul 10, 2006, 10:42 AM
On 2006-07-10 06:14, mechatra wrote:
By job I'm assuming you mean Hunter Ranger and Force?

If so, you're job levels stay even when you change job, for example, you're character is lvl 40 - and is a lvl 18 hunter

You change to a force and lvl up to a lvl 45 char at lvl 7 force.

If you chose to switch back you would still be a lvl 18 hunter.

Concerning this, are class levels congruent with character levels? For instance, is it possible to be a level 20 character with these class levels?

Hunter: 10
Force: 5
Ranger: 1

Notice how the class levels do not add up to twenty? Is this possible. Also, if character level and class level are two completely different categories, what advantages does one have when being a high character level, yet low class level?

For instance:
Is a level 20 character with a level 1 Hunter class just as powerful as a level 1 character with a level 1 Hunter class?

Carlo210
Jul 10, 2006, 10:50 AM
I'm sure that you gain proficiency with the weapons for each class.

Kyuu
Jul 10, 2006, 10:51 AM
First, your job levels do not have to "add up" to your character level. I'm amazed at what people can pull up out of nowhere sometimes. o_0 Not meaning to be insultive in any way, just saying.

From what I understand (and from what makes sense to me), character levels give you stat-ups that are congruent with your race, and are also probably what any gear that has a level-requirement would use to determine eligibility. Job levels, on the other hand, would increase the stats concurrent with your class (i.e. hunters would get mostly atp, hp, and defense; rangers would get mostly ata, atp; forces would get mostly tap, mst). Also, when switching jobs, you'd lose all the stats you gain from your job level, obviously. Further, I believe your job level determines your maximum skill level with weapons/technics. (A beta tester can correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, this is just what I've gathered.)

Lastly, a level 20 character is much more powerful than a level 1 character at the same job level.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-07-10 08:52 ]</font>

TheGreyCliche
Jul 10, 2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks Kyuu, i appreciate the quick response.

I had a feeling that class levels didn't have to add up to character levels (what with the point system and all). But i just wanted to resolve the matter entirely.

mechatra
Jul 10, 2006, 10:59 AM
Did I say anything along the lines of "Character levels directly effect your job level"?

Noooooo http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

But anyhoo, one way or the other whilst leveling your job level, you're character level is bound to raise since it apears that job levels go up a fair bit slower than char level.

Ikubi
Jul 10, 2006, 11:22 AM
What i'm getting from this is that the lvl system is gonna be like Ragnarok Online? Where you have a Base lvl and job lvls, except monsters give out 3 different types of exp(another for PA).

The weapons system makes complete sensse to me, as you wouldn't(or hopefully wouldn't) use a sword the same way as a spear, and a dagger a sword, and a gun a dagger...etc,etc,etc. Either way, sounds like fun! Combined with all of the other things you'll be able to do, i don't see anyone getting bored anytime soon. ;D

mechatra
Jul 10, 2006, 11:32 AM
Monsters don't give out job exp I believe. IIRC completing missions gives you job exp.

PA's are leveled up through usage.

And character lvl is the same old - kill monster get exp method.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 10, 2006, 02:57 PM
I want to get this straight, if you're like level 100, can you still gain skill points?

Earthsunderer
Jul 10, 2006, 05:37 PM
Depends what you define as skill points. If you mean those points for the Photon Arts, seeing as they are gained by usage, there is nothing that would hinder its progress, even if you were at maximum character level.

If you mean job level, if you only gain them by solving missions, neither is it going to seem to be limited by the maximum character level.

That's how it sounds by Kyuu's explanation.

hypersaxon
Jul 10, 2006, 09:48 PM
Job level and character level are seperate, so you can gain skill points for a job at 100 (or 200 if the limit is that high). If you level up Hunter all the way until your character is level 100 and switch to Force for example, you'd still be able to level your Force class regardless of being at the character level cap.

Kyuu
Jul 11, 2006, 02:07 AM
Character levels are gained through the good ol' kill-a-monster-get-experience system.

Job levels are gained through points you earn by completing missions. You get graded at the end of a mission based on time, number of deaths, etc., and the better your grade, the more points toward a job increase you get. (You also get a meseta reward that is also determined by your grade.)

Skill levels in weapons/techs are gained through using weapons/techs of that type.

Sevenfold
Jul 11, 2006, 02:10 AM
On 2006-07-10 19:48, hypersaxon wrote:
Job level and character level are seperate, so you can gain skill points for a job at 100 (or 200 if the limit is that high). If you level up Hunter all the way until your character is level 100 and switch to Force for example, you'd still be able to level your Force class regardless of being at the character level cap.

IS the level cap 100?

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 11, 2006, 10:47 AM
oh, ok, that explains alot. thanks, although there will still be that one job that I would like my characters to be best at.

Kyuu
Jul 11, 2006, 12:29 PM
On 2006-07-11 00:10, Sevenfold wrote:

IS the level cap 100?

She indicated in the post that she didn't really know, and no one does, so it's entirely speculation.

hypersaxon
Jul 11, 2006, 12:52 PM
It'll probably either be 100 like it was in the original DC game, or 200 like it was in Ver. 2 / Episode I & II.

Sevenfold
Jul 11, 2006, 12:54 PM
Im hoping for 200 nontheless. The more lvling the better.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 11, 2006, 02:51 PM
The class-level-adding-to-character-level thing sounds like the D&D system, like a level 4 character being a level 3 Barbarian and a level 1 Wizard.

Boy, I sure am glad PSU doens't work that way.

Zinsian
Jul 16, 2006, 09:36 PM
AHHH!!! NO THATS NOT WHAT I MEANT. And yes by skills points i meant Photon Arts Level. The more you use a weapon, the higher level your photon arts become for a certain weapon type. IT does "NOT" criss cross into other classes. For example. A Lvl 20 hunter, with a saber proficiency of LvL 17 and a dagger proficiency of LvL 9 (saying that these are the only two weapons the particular person has used). Of course its obvious that the hunter has used the saber more than the dagger. Same applies for all the other classes.

Lyrise
Jul 16, 2006, 11:37 PM
Weapon proficiency is a really bad term to use here. The only weapon profiency you get is the C-S grades that accompany your form level.

PA levels are not divided by weapon types. Each SA, BA or Tech levels up individually. Just because your Tornado Break is at lv17, does not mean your Spinning Break is at lv17 (both are sword SAs). They are only as strong as you use them INDIVIDUALLY.

MoonSblaise
Jul 17, 2006, 12:12 PM
<.< Oh so similar to skills in RF Online, boy that game got old quick, but mmm yummy play system for PSU by the sounds of it.