PDA

View Full Version : So I went to EBGames today...

Link5
Jul 8, 2006, 02:45 PM
I went and purchased the FFXI expansion today. This prompted the cashier to mention how he was looking forward to PSU. I agreed and said I couldn't wait either. At this point he started the routine "Well if you act now and put a $5.00 down payment, you can insure your copy here!"
So I told him I'd pass, and that I hadn't decided whether I was going with the PS2 or PC version.
But he continued to persist, saying "You definitely want the PC version! only the Xbox and PC servers will be linked, and the PS2 version won't have as many people!"
To which I retorted "Well, from what I've heard it's the PS2 and PC versions linked and the Xbox is still unconfirmed."
"Nope nope, exact opposite. I swear honest to god I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true! I've reserved the PC version and so has he (points to co-worker) for this sole reason!"

Now I'm almost 100% positive that even with the mediocre level of attention I've given to keeping up to date with PSU info, I'm pretty certain the cashier's just got his wires crossed with this information. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DizzyDi
Jul 8, 2006, 02:48 PM
On 2006-07-08 12:45, Link5 wrote:
I'm pretty certain the cashier's just got his wires crossed with this information. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Probably. But with the recent info coming out, it says that 360 and PS2 will be connected while PC will be seperate. Tch, I wish ST would make up thier @^%*& mind.

TheGreyCliche
Jul 8, 2006, 02:53 PM
oh man, that would be the ownage. i'm sorry, but after having to hear how much PSUX is going to suck because of the unlinked server, this is like sweet sweet revenge. If the xbox360 is linked to anything i'll consider it a victory, i was content with it unlinked. but i guess we'll just have to see.

DikkyRay
Jul 8, 2006, 02:56 PM
Think about it though, if xbox360 is linked, it will mess up live. PC and Ps2 should stay linked, because both are kb only

phunk
Jul 8, 2006, 03:07 PM
Its EBgames, they need to meet a quota for reservations, so of course they're going to say anything to get you to pop $5.00 down on a game. They'd say it was comming out on Dreamcast if you'd believe it.

Pyronin
Jul 8, 2006, 03:12 PM
On 2006-07-08 13:07, phunk wrote:
Its EBgames, they need to meet a quota for reservations, so of course they're going to say anything to get you to pop $5.00 down on a game. They'd say it was comming out on Dreamcast if you'd believe it.

You mean it isnt?! O_O
I wouldn't listen to anything anyone says atm, just wait till you can be 100% sure for what has what and what does not.

Saner
Jul 8, 2006, 03:23 PM
EB games/store people most often don't know what they are talking about.

PS2 and PC have had good relations with games especially with FF11.

it wouldn't makes sense to link 360 with PC and block out PS2.

now people even say PS2 and 360 will be linked and PC separate, as well as all 3 systems being separate.

so its tough now to believe anyone. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

but if 360 and PC get linked, there's no way PS2 won't be linked with them as well.

Link5
Jul 8, 2006, 03:29 PM
Yeah, personally I'd like them all to be linked, but I'd be satisfied if PS2 and PC were linked. I don't think an EBGames cashier's words are the gospel truth, but I find it funny to see people act so confident over something they may be wrong about.

Saner
Jul 8, 2006, 03:37 PM
well they have to be confident even if they're wrong, otherwise they and their store loses credibility.

besides I think that guy you talked to is PC biased, cause he doesn't realize how much more online people PS2 has than Xbox360, even without a connected system server community.

plus his promotion of PC and pointing to his co-worker also going for PC version, is just plain obsessive with their preferred system for gaming, SO MUCH that they don't even realize Xbox360 is not linked with PC at this current time until Sega announces that they are going to link them.

the last announcement was that Xbox360 is not linked with PC but they are exploring the possibilities.

SandstormX
Jul 8, 2006, 04:38 PM
Think about it though, if xbox360 is linked, it will mess up live. PC and Ps2 should stay linked, because both are kb only

If you play ffxi like I do, you would know That Xbox360 can use keyboards. Also FFXI doesn't have voice chat, although you can voice chat with friends. Playing on both ps2 and xbox360 I haven't noticed any problems with connectivety between the 2.

Sevenfold
Jul 8, 2006, 04:50 PM
Im still for having them all linked. I really just cant see more people playing PSU as a bad thing.

tank1
Jul 8, 2006, 07:17 PM
All three systems being linked would be awesome, i mean the more the merrier and anyone who has a problem with the whole X-Box team speak spammers can just turn the volume down or give em the boot.

Saner
Jul 9, 2006, 03:26 PM
chances are 360 version might be separate.

that is very taxing on population minimization though, since regions are separate for this game.

that means Xbox360 would have to divide itself even further with a Japan 360 server and a English 360 server.

that would be a shame if Xbox360 version ends up looking more like a ghost town.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-07-09 13:27 ]</font>

Pyronin
Jul 9, 2006, 03:34 PM
As long as there is enough for a 6 man party with some variation to skills in the party, I'd be happy. I'm not much of a people person but I still like playing in groups, but not gigantic towns overpopulated and every chair taken when you want to sit down. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Foxix
Jul 9, 2006, 04:22 PM
I would love for all three systems to be connected except I don't really know what it would take to convince MS to allow sonic team to have seperate servers. I mean the only reason they allowed sqenix to do it was because microsoft needed to make it seem like they actually were going to get support from them.

on a second note the gamestop and eb games in my town are actually very knowledgable(speling?) But if you don't want them to constantly try to sell you things just do what I do:

Go often enough that the employees know you by name & or recognize you so that there greeting changes from "HEY! welcome to "insert generic game store name" have you reserved "insert random game here"' to "Uhh, I know you already know your way around but is there anything your looking for in particular?"

Or to the point where you don't even need that stupid discount card and the manager uses his for you. Or if your short on money for the tax they pay it for you... geeze is it sad thats all happened to me?

sorry... that was off topic.

Saner
Jul 9, 2006, 04:29 PM
in a way it would be good for Xbox360 to be isolated cause that way people have 2 options for what kind of crowd they prefer.

PC and PS2 will have strong communities no matter what so its a win-win situation.

Carlo210
Jul 9, 2006, 04:45 PM
What kind of 'crowd'? Do you mean to tell me that you expect to see some sort of different community on xbox360's psu?
Or do you mean something else by 'crowd', meaning a large one (pc/ps2) or a small one (xbox360).

I REALLY don't want to see Xbox 360 being isolated or else the 360 version of PSU is basically going to be a flop. Think EQ on the MAC. Nobody wants to pay for a game that deserted.
Not to say that no one is getting the game for the 360, but it is clear that the games on the 360 that DO get great online reputation aren't the online rpg mmo-types. I don't think FFXI would be desirable on the 360 if it was seperated from ps2/pc servers. Do you? (aside from the fact that the game blows)

TheGreyCliche
Jul 9, 2006, 04:47 PM
On 2006-07-09 14:45, Carlo210 wrote:
Nobody wants to pay for a game that deserted.

i'll be there... I'LL BE THERE!!

PALRAPPYS
Jul 9, 2006, 04:57 PM
On 2006-07-09 14:22, Foxix wrote:
I would love for all three systems to be connected except I don't really know what it would take to convince MS to allow sonic team to have seperate servers. I mean the only reason they allowed sqenix to do it was because microsoft needed to make it seem like they actually were going to get support from them.

on a second note the gamestop and eb games in my town are actually very knowledgable(speling?) But if you don't want them to constantly try to sell you things just do what I do:

Go often enough that the employees know you by name & or recognize you so that there greeting changes from "HEY! welcome to "insert generic game store name" have you reserved "insert random game here"' to "Uhh, I know you already know your way around but is there anything your looking for in particular?"

Or to the point where you don't even need that stupid discount card and the manager uses his for you. Or if your short on money for the tax they pay it for you... geeze is it sad thats all happened to me?

sorry... that was off topic.

No.... that's becuase you're not the only one!

Foxix
Jul 9, 2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks palrappys I no longer feel so bad.

I hope they do link them yet the possibilities of it happening seem slim to me. If they did make it all linked then I bet less people would buy it since they would need a KB and I bet a lot of people don't want to give up headset support.

Alielle
Jul 9, 2006, 05:48 PM
You're lucky the EB cashier even knew what PSU was though.

I'm lucky enough to have a decent PC. But I'd still be disappointed if PC and PS2 aren't linked.

Saner
Jul 9, 2006, 05:48 PM
well less Xbox360 people would probably buy it if they're linked, but there are also many 360 users who don't mind using a keyboard.

and besides the 360 will have headset support or at least private chat, so headset purists will just stay within their circle of headset users and that solves that.

but really headsets are so problematic and fragile than they're worth, plus they may give you a headache.

my keyboard lasted 2+ years longer than my headset (which only lasted 2 months before it was damaged internally) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

but ya keyboard is popular with PC and PS2 so it's never a problem and its the best way to communicate to everyone.

Deaf360
Jul 9, 2006, 05:54 PM
only one word...FFXI proved it wrong..it could work out...link server....no problem...^_^ now...ST should have no problem

tank1
Jul 9, 2006, 05:55 PM
Why would less 360 people buy the game if it was linked!? do they believe us PS2 and PC users have some form of net plague or something i dont understand. Surely the more people playing the better the community and the longer the servers will be maintanined by ST.

TheGreyCliche
Jul 9, 2006, 05:57 PM
On 2006-07-09 15:55, tank1 wrote:
Why would less 360 people buy the game if it was linked!? do they believe us PS2 and PC users have some form of net plague or something i dont understand. Surely the more people playing the better the community and the longer the servers will be maintanined by ST.

i would assume it's only because voice chat would most likely be disabled entirely if xbox was connected.

Pheromone
Jul 9, 2006, 05:57 PM
On 2006-07-08 12:48, DizzyDi wrote:

Probably. But with the recent info coming out, it says that 360 and PS2 will be connected while PC will be seperate. Tch, I wish ST would make up thier @^%*& mind.

errr... what new info has shown that... give me a link and I may believe....

tank1
Jul 9, 2006, 06:01 PM
So because they dont have voice chat they wouldnt want a larger community? I personally think voice chat is highly overrated everytime ive been on a server with it i havent been able to understand a damn word as to what the people are saying. So youd have to use a keyboard big whoop just short cut more texts so you can say "heal plz" wihout having to pause and get your head ripped off by a boomer.

Foxix
Jul 9, 2006, 06:04 PM
never has my headset given me a headache... O_o but there are far fewer people willing to go out and buy an additional keyboard to play a game unless they already have a spare. I do agree with you that a good keyboard lasts longer than a headset.

Lets just day that I have one plantronics one, a broken MS one wrapped in ductape along with a broken controler also wrapped in ductape to match, and one old 1980 something headset which I found in a box of old electronics which was given to me to free at a garage sale by a same sex couple. (no disrespect intended in fact they were very nice to give me all that for free) just pointing out the need for headsets...which for some reason have a good sized backstory to them... sorry off topic

but because the extra carp they would have to do to deal with MS to get unified servers and the fact that a possible lack of headset support may result in a loss of sales, I really doubt that the 360 will be will be on the same servers as the PC & PS2

TheGreyCliche
Jul 9, 2006, 06:05 PM
On 2006-07-09 16:01, tank1 wrote:
So because they dont have voice chat they wouldnt want a larger community? I personally think voice chat is highly overrated everytime ive been on a server with it i havent been able to understand a damn word as to what the people are saying. So youd have to use a keyboard big whoop just short cut more texts so you can say "heal plz" wihout having to pause and get your head ripped off by a boomer.

i agree. but what are ya gonna do? i barely used voice chat at all on psox, it just got annoying sometimes. but alot of people swear by it, so to each his own.

tank1
Jul 9, 2006, 06:08 PM
Meh i guess so but i still think its a shame that not all three formats are going to be linked.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tank1 on 2006-07-09 16:09 ]</font>

Foxix
Jul 9, 2006, 06:14 PM
well in a game like pso where you can just use hot keys for the important stuff(which there isn't really much to be said) and most of the actual chatting is done inbetween fights, headsets don't really matter. I am willing to bet money that a lot of people are going to look at the box and see ACTION rpg and see KB enabled or something and be turned off... after all a lot of the xbox community is big into FPS which almost require headsets over KB's, and if they are new to this genre they probobly won't get it... trust me I know alot of people that think like this.

Saner
Jul 10, 2006, 06:08 PM
ya they just can't understand how easy it is to play with a controller and use a keyboard for communication.

Tystys
Jul 10, 2006, 06:30 PM
On 2006-07-08 12:45, Link5 wrote:
I went and purchased the FFXI expansion today. This prompted the cashier to mention how he was looking forward to PSU. I agreed and said I couldn't wait either. At this point he started the routine "Well if you act now and put a $5.00 down payment, you can insure your copy here!"
So I told him I'd pass, and that I hadn't decided whether I was going with the PS2 or PC version.
But he continued to persist, saying "You definitely want the PC version! only the Xbox and PC servers will be linked, and the PS2 version won't have as many people!"
To which I retorted "Well, from what I've heard it's the PS2 and PC versions linked and the Xbox is still unconfirmed."
"Nope nope, exact opposite. I swear honest to god I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true! I've reserved the PC version and so has he (points to co-worker) for this sole reason!"

Now I'm almost 100% positive that even with the mediocre level of attention I've given to keeping up to date with PSU info, I'm pretty certain the cashier's just got his wires crossed with this information. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

See, this is why I go to Gamestop..
The Cashiers are less retarded...MIND YOU THEY'RE STILL RETARDED but less than EB games.

MAGNUShunter
Jul 10, 2006, 06:47 PM
Nevermind. I think this needs it's own subject:( http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=115125&forum=20&0 )
Please delete.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MAGNUShunter on 2006-07-10 16:49 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MAGNUShunter on 2006-07-10 17:00 ]</font>