PDA

View Full Version : PSU Account Discussion

hypersaxon
Jul 9, 2006, 01:59 PM
Like almost everybody else on these boards, I'm incredibly hyped up over PSU. So hyped up in fact that my friend is starting to get annoyed at me when we're chatting on MSN, cuz I can't stop talking about it. So I felt like making another topic to discuss something that hasn't really been touched on yet: your PSU account.

I believe that for the PSU beta, you were allowed to have up to 4 characters per account. At least that's what I've heard, correct me if I'm wrong. I dunno about you guys, but is 4 characters per account really enough? I say the final game should allow you to create up to 8 characters per account, or at least have the option to upgrade to 8 characters for a slightly increased monthly fee. That way, you can make at least two characters of each race, one male and one female, to give you a full variety of characters. Also, if all the characters were on one account as opposed to two, you wouldn't have to worry about exchanging items between two seperate accounts, as you would just have to use the shared bank system.

What do you guys think, should Sonic Team allow you to upgrade your account and have extra characters if you want them?

Blitzkommando
Jul 9, 2006, 02:05 PM
Eh, it worked for FFXI, didn't it? However, if the end limit is four, I'll do fine this time around as I don't have to worry about section IDs and hunting for rares.

Sevenfold
Jul 9, 2006, 02:19 PM
Idc personally, I only lvl one toon at a time, and I dont use female characters. 1-2 suits me just fine.

Saner
Jul 9, 2006, 02:23 PM
you can only train one at a time anyway. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

and one is already a handfull. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

I think we are lucky to even have 3 extra character slots at no extra charge! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

but ya they might offer more slots if you're wiling to pay more per month.

DraginHikari
Jul 9, 2006, 02:43 PM
Personally I think 4 character should be enough for anyone per account...

Saner
Jul 9, 2006, 02:47 PM
ya even in FF11 the most I seen people create are 2, one being their 'mule'. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

some have 4 though. anything more than that is kind of overdoing it lol. a single character in this game is practically 100+ hours worth of gameplay if you plan on mastering their classes and all.

if I remember, WoW has like 10 or 17 slots, which is TOO insane. Time is too valuable to focus on more than 1 or 4. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Inazuma
Jul 9, 2006, 02:50 PM
if you really want more chars, just start a 2nd hunter license. you wouldnt be able to transfer items between chars as easily as before, but other than that, youd be fine.

personally, im gonna prob run psu on both of my pcs. i remember the player shop limit on items you sell was kinda low. i mite end up using the 2nd account for its 4 player shops.

also, i wasnt able to always use the shared bank in the beta. i made a new char just to transfer over the clothes to my main, but it wouldnt let me deposit them in the shared bank. meseta too ><

maybe you have to have an hour of playtime on an account to use the shared bank or something, i dunno.

EnixBelmont
Jul 9, 2006, 02:51 PM
Its a good idea, dont know how anyone could say it isnt. Entirely optional. And a lot of my friends have siblings that are going to play as well. It'd be nice if they only had to add $3 or so so that they both could have 4 characters.

Not a big deal for me, personally. But I would like 5 characters, which I would pay 1$ more for. If not, I can settle with four just fine...

Saner
Jul 9, 2006, 02:55 PM
naturally, Sega might not miss out on an opportunity to make more money by offering character slot expansions.

but either way, the PSU account is definitely offering more than a $14 FF11 account would offer, and at a lower price! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

hypersaxon
Jul 9, 2006, 03:27 PM
On 2006-07-09 12:55, Saner wrote:
naturally, Sega might not miss out on an opportunity to make more money by offering character slot expansions.

but either way, the PSU account is definitely offering more than a $14 FF11 account would offer, and at a lower price! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Yeah, if you took the price to have 4 characters in FFXI VS the price to have 4 characters in PSU, it's pretty much a steal http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Saner
Jul 9, 2006, 03:33 PM
hmm about that shared bank feature. maybe people couldn't use it cause that was a beta?

hypersaxon
Jul 9, 2006, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I'm guessing there's still functions that are unavailable until the final release. Just as long as it's in the final game, that's all I care about.

ajenteks
Jul 9, 2006, 03:55 PM
Sonic Team will be foolish to not sell additional character slots.

Eternal255
Jul 9, 2006, 03:57 PM
wait it has a shared bank system?

crap thats so stupid, looks like i have to get my own account......
or are there 2 bank things, one shared one unshared?

EDIT: Inappropriate language removed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-07-23 08:31 ]</font>

TheGreyCliche
Jul 9, 2006, 04:04 PM
sounds like a good idea to me... while others spend their time trying to level eight different characters, i'll be focusing on two or three.

Mewn
Jul 9, 2006, 04:32 PM
Offering more char slots for a slightly increased HL price sounds like a good idea to me. I don't expect ST to actually implement it though.

I'll be happy with 4, though.

TheGreyCliche
Jul 9, 2006, 04:45 PM
We really don't know anything right now, we only know that only four slots were available in the beta, when the real version comes out there may very well be more. I really think i only need about six to be really happy.

Rubesahl
Jul 9, 2006, 04:50 PM
Its a good idea but I dunno how fun can it be to play the same class twice O_o;; For me, 3 characters are enough, the other one usually being a joke one lol Still, some people like the idea of having a lot of characters, even if its the same class. This espcially applies to PSO since each race/class combination had a diff appearance. Right now in PSU it seems a Human hunter looks the same as a Human mage, and those two basically look the same (in clothes btw) as the other two organic races.

Anyways I never understood FFXI's limit to one char and the others you have to pay O_o is it so expensive to keep a character's data in a server that they need to charge for it? .__.; Most MMOs allow you at least 4 slots >_> Games like Anarchy Online have like 8 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ajenteks
Jul 9, 2006, 05:00 PM
On 2006-07-09 14:32, Stormspear wrote:
Offering more char slots for a slightly increased HL price sounds like a good idea to me. I don't expect ST to actually implement it though.

I'm thinking, more like a one time fee of $6.00 or so.

PhotonCat
Jul 9, 2006, 05:04 PM
I really think it is stupid to limit you on how many characters you can make, or if your gonna have a limit make it so you can have many more than 4.

FF11 was so absurd for making you have to pay for each character, it was just a way to sqeeze more money outta the customers.
In EQ2 you where first limited to 4..., then they boosted it to 6, and 10 if you have a Station pass.

Now, in WoW, you can have up to 50 characters per account. That's more like it.

I don't see a reason for limiting characters per account because there is no reason too.

Saner
Jul 9, 2006, 05:20 PM
well server side saved character slots and the servers have its limitations.

on top of that we don't know everything how these things work out and what they are going through to offer extra slots and stuff like that.

50 characters per account? gee. do people who use that many slots ever go outside? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

so really, there is a reason to limit characters per account. extra characters take up space and space=memory and memory=money.

Sega can't pay everything themselves, otherwise they wouldn't make money in return.

so don't sound so spoiled by WoW. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

hypersaxon
Jul 9, 2006, 05:23 PM
The thing I liked about PSO on Xbox was that it had 12 character slots, so you could make one character for every class in the game. In PSU I don't really think 12 slots would really be necessary, but 8 would be nice so you could have all the possible combinations.

BTW all the characters that I plan to make in PSU are based on characters from my story that I'm writing. I plan to recreate most of the characters I made in PSO when PSU comes out, aside from a few new ones. I might skip a few race/sex combinations that I don't necessarily like, but I plan to have at least 1 character for each race. I'll give a rundown of the characters I want to make in case anyone's interested:

Name: Saxon Vega
Race: Human
Sex: Male
Primary Class: Hunter
Weapon Of Choice: Dual Sabers

Name: Jenny Vickio
Sex: Female
Primary Class: Ranger
Weapon Of Choice: Dual Pistols

Name: Storm Lavernius
Race: Newman
Primary Class: Force
Weapon Of Choice: Staffs

Name: Muttsy Justice
Race: Beast
Weapon Of Choice: Dual Claws

Name: Killbot69
Race: Cast
Primary Class: Ranger
Weapon Of Choice: Shotgun

Name: Tiffany Yerdke
Weapon Of Choice: Dual Daggers

Name: Punisher420
Race: Cast
Weapon Of Choice: Sword

Name: Melinda Lavernius
Race: Newman
Primary Class: Force
Weapon Of Choice: Staffs

This is assuming they let you have 8 characters. If I had to choose 4 out of those 8, I would choose Saxon, Storm, Muttsy, and Killbot probably, since they'd be my favorite for each race. I'd like to have a female character or two though, which is why I'm hoping you can have more if you want. But 8 slots would be more than enough, anything more than that would be unnecessary.

PhotonCat
Jul 9, 2006, 08:02 PM
On 2006-07-09 15:20, Saner wrote:
well server side saved character slots and the servers have its limitations.

on top of that we don't know everything how these things work out and what they are going through to offer extra slots and stuff like that.

50 characters per account? gee. do people who use that many slots ever go outside? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

so really, there is a reason to limit characters per account. extra characters take up space and space=memory and memory=money.

Sega can't pay everything themselves, otherwise they wouldn't make money in return.

so don't sound so spoiled by WoW. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Well characters only take up a few kb of data.

They should have enough money and servers to cover all of it, I can't see PSU having as many subscribers as WoW.
Should at least give you 10 slots.

hypersaxon
Jul 9, 2006, 08:19 PM
WoW lets you have 50 characters?! I don't think any human being would ever be able to completely level up 50 characters lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hypersaxon on 2006-07-09 18:20 ]</font>

Sevenfold
Jul 9, 2006, 08:21 PM
That is a tad much O_o

Foxix
Jul 9, 2006, 08:23 PM
actually I wouldn't say that hyper I have heard from several people that if you know what your doing you can get to the max in a good weekend. I have never played WoW for myself so Idon't know first hand.

hypersaxon
Jul 9, 2006, 08:33 PM
Really? WoW must be pretty darn easy. Probably why all those people play it lmao

Still though, 50 characters seems like a little too much though. For PSU, I'd say 8 characters would be the perfect number.

turtle323
Jul 10, 2006, 02:45 AM
thats not true u cant get to lvl 60 in a week unless u play the whole week with out stoping i am serious i have it. for avg person would take about a month or two

Abaru-FP
Jul 10, 2006, 02:54 AM
I rarely have more than one or two characters...can't imagine what you would do with 8 o_O
But if it doesn't clog up the server or something I think you should be able to make as many as you like.

Sev
Jul 10, 2006, 08:01 AM
It's possible that Sega isn't even entertaining the thought of letting players by additional slots and instead would want you to get a second HL. They'd make a better return on another HL then they would on additional slots, and they are a business after all. I guess we'll see sooner or later though, personally I wouldn't mind 8 character slots, but I'm fine with 4.

As far as WoW's limit... Well, for one the servers can be pretty damn unstable sometimes. I've never played a game that I would log onto and all the NPC's would be gone. Just... Gone. I don't have any proof that something like that is caused by an increase amount of characters as much as it's caused by them just... Touching stuff. Still, 4 characters is a good way to get a decent combination of characters. The character limit fits the game as far as I can see.

Ikubi
Jul 10, 2006, 11:37 AM
I think 4 is enough, I played RO and they gave you 9 characters in which a lot of people only stuck to 1-2 in the end. I guess it became to much of a hassle. But i don't see a good reason to have 8 character slots unless you know you're gonna use them all. often. >_> Personally i don't see the need to have 1 of each character and gender. Pick a gender. xD And if you don't like it later on, delete it. O_o

But yeah, to me it seems that people usually become attached to 1-2 characters they make in the long run. And you're just taking up space on the server with your characters Database memory with all of those characters, IMO anyhow. =_= Stop being greedy people! xD