PDA

View Full Version : Portable Universe

MAGNUShunter
Jul 9, 2006, 07:09 PM
With the recent controversy over sony and the psp ("psp white supremacy" and all), I got to thinking about what a portable tie in for 'universe would be like. Maybe an alternate side story? Wi-fi multiplayer? What do you think?

phunk
Jul 9, 2006, 07:11 PM
If it is announced, I hope its announced for DS.

I've a PSP and I've hardly used it for it's games =.

Oreic
Jul 9, 2006, 07:18 PM
Yeah the DS would be better for this.

Foxix
Jul 9, 2006, 07:23 PM
On 2006-07-09 17:09, MAGNUShunter wrote:
With the recent controversy over sony and the psp ("psp white supremacy" and all), I got to thinking about what a portable tie in for 'universe would be like. Maybe an alternate side story? Wi-fi multiplayer? What do you think?

I personally don't care what handheld it's for I have both but I love my DS FAR more than my PSP no offence but... it kinda sucks.

As for the PSP white over black controversy have a look at the rest of the pictures one has the black psp with white one in its death grip!

I found this like a while ago on gamespot to the pics:
http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001745.html

sorry I don't know if that will break forum rules or anything... I don't really know this sites policy on links.

tank1
Jul 10, 2006, 09:42 AM
Im black and i dont see the big deal over these pics. Anywho back on topic a portable PSU would rock but i dont see ST doing it i mean they still technically havent finished PSU.

Tystys
Jul 10, 2006, 10:31 AM
I really don't care what handheld it's for considering I don't have either, XD

Moo2u
Jul 10, 2006, 11:09 AM
A hand held phantasy star is a really cool idea. I'm not sure if it'll take off, but if it does, sega will do another first by being the first portable MMO.

tank1
Jul 10, 2006, 11:14 AM
Technically pocket kingdom on the N.gage is the first portable mmo but both the console and the game are pretty lame. So this will be the first non lame portable mmo instead http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Pyronin
Jul 10, 2006, 11:15 AM
If they did a handheld PS it would probably be a turnbased game, seeing how all the other spinoffs for other major games turned into a turnbased game on the PSP.

Ryo_Hayasa
Jul 10, 2006, 11:29 AM
And Monster hunter Neo is the first MMO RPG for PSP.

Ikubi
Jul 10, 2006, 11:57 AM
Actually, way~~~~~~~~~ back when the DS and PSP were being schelduled to release, Yuji was quoted(in one game mag, can't remember which) saying how it would be interesting if they made PSO for the DS.

Tystys
Jul 10, 2006, 01:39 PM
On 2006-07-10 09:57, Ikubi wrote:
Actually, way~~~~~~~~~ back when the DS and PSP were being schelduled to release, Yuji was quoted(in one game mag, can't remember which) saying how it would be interesting if they made PSO for the DS.

Yeah, that would be pretty interesting seeing how they incoporate the stylus and the two screens into the game play

-Crokar-
Jul 10, 2006, 02:48 PM
i doubt theyll ever make a PS game for a handheld. but if they did it would prolly be for the psp.

Pyronin
Jul 10, 2006, 02:50 PM
On 2006-07-10 12:48, -Crokar- wrote:
i doubt theyll ever make a PS game for a handheld. but if they did it would prolly be for the psp.

Agreed. It would be odd seeing a PS for the DS, how would they use the stylus and mic? I can think of a couple ways but it would jsut be wierd.

Moo2u
Jul 10, 2006, 03:13 PM
On 2006-07-10 12:50, Pyronin wrote:

On 2006-07-10 12:48, -Crokar- wrote:

Agreed. It would be odd seeing a PS for the DS, how would they use the stylus and mic? I can think of a couple ways but it would jsut be wierd.

They probably wouldn't use the mic, but the touch screen could be used for like a menu or something for quick itme use. Just throwing some ideas around here.

Saner
Jul 10, 2006, 04:28 PM
On 2006-07-09 17:09, MAGNUShunter wrote:

here I am, sharing my strong opinions! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I despise portable systems. their hardware is such a DOWNGRADE compared to PC and consoles.

it's pathetic seeing great games have inferior spinoffs and versions/sequels show up on PSP and DS.

ya graphics are not everything but confort is a different story.

*their screen is inferior, even a 13 inch TV makes a portable system screen look like a mail slot.

*controls are inferior. applying buttons around the screen unit itself is annoying. cause no matter how tightly you hold the system, the screen and system itself will wobble and it's just so primitive. I mean Tiger Electronics games were played like that back in the day.

*if any part of the portable system gets damaged. controls, screen, etc. you have to replace the WHOLE THING!!

*selection of portable games is very limited and very rare in any decent titles. but again, like I stated, I feel portable systems are not a good way to experience these games.

*just because these systems are portable don't automatically make them cool. 90% of portable gamers use these systems mainly at home anyway, and playing them outdoors is trivial.

*so really, a PSU spinoff/version on a PSP or DS would just be a mockery of what PSU really is and can be.

-Crokar-
Jul 10, 2006, 04:39 PM
handhelds are great play games while your on the road its not like everyone can have a console in there car. ill admit the screens are small. i played mario cart ds for 3 hours straight while going to branson. i mainly use my psp as an mp3 player but it has some pretty decent games. however, these are my opinions on the matter. and with the psp you can access the internet from any wireless router that doesnt have password protection. some people dont have internet capabilities or if someones on the internet and they have a wireless router they can also be on the internet. ive done this many times. and with the psp you can play roms from old systems. i dont really play the ds much but as i said before they are good for road trips.

Saner
Jul 10, 2006, 04:46 PM
the only portable system I liked was the Sega Nomad because it was a portable Genesis that can be plugged to a TV and played that way,
and there was even a 2nd controller port and can play all Genesis games. now that was a true revolutionary portable system, having the features of being a portable system as well as a console.

Sev
Jul 10, 2006, 06:32 PM
People who play handhelds and never leave their houses scare me.

Portable PSU? No. No way.

Tystys
Jul 10, 2006, 06:33 PM
On 2006-07-10 16:32, Sev wrote:

I see you don't own a DS or PSP, XD

DikkyRay
Jul 10, 2006, 06:47 PM
DS would be better. But i also heard that sega WAS making a pso/u-ish game for ds... or did i hear wrong i forget lol

MAGNUShunter
Jul 10, 2006, 06:52 PM
By the way, thx for the link Foxix.
Man alive!
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sev
Jul 10, 2006, 06:56 PM
On 2006-07-10 16:33, Tystys wrote:

On 2006-07-10 16:32, Sev wrote:

I see you don't own a DS or PSP, XD

I don't. I plan on getting a DS, but even then I think the point of having it is to play when I'm somewhere else. Unless I'm just that bored with everything else. At which point, I'd probably go to sleep. But you don't have to not own a DS or PSP to be afraid of people that own handhelds and never leave the house, just a little bit creepy.

isahn80
Jul 10, 2006, 06:57 PM
The only Phantasy Star I'd want to see on a portable is maybe PS4, since 1-3 have already been ported to the GBA.

If they were to make a fresh PS game for a portable system (yeah, right) then it would probably be a straight RPG like the classic PS games, which I must admit would be cool.

I don't see how there could really be a PSU spinoff since the offline story mode encompasses the background story, and any further expansion of the PSU world is created by the players online.

Abaru-FP
Jul 10, 2006, 07:13 PM
Bah, handhelds...only fun for long plane trips or car rides. If I'm going to be spending lots of time playing a game at home, might as stare at better graphics on a computer screen than deal with the eye strain and hand cramps of handhelds.

...sept for Pokemon

Shivore
Jul 10, 2006, 07:36 PM
Well the discussion has kinda of moved past it, but here are some other thoughts on the PSP white-black campaign, I think it is well worth the read wether you care about handhelds or not: http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/news.php?i=1153

As for PSU on handheld... I can't see it. Phantasy Star yes, but not PSU. And to those who dislike handheld game systems, i ask you. How many classic games, how many new side-scrollers, how many traditional video-game RPGS, have been released on consoles in the past few years? How many on handhelds? That is why a handheld is worth having. Are they better? Hell no! But they are different, and that is good. Of course the PSP begins to defeat that purpose, it's becoming too powerful for it's own good I think, but that's another issue.

MAGNUShunter
Jul 10, 2006, 07:47 PM
Forgive me for asking this. lol... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Is Sony planing to release the PSP in other races colors? I would like to see something new, like...Japanese vs. Mexican?
Maybe Nacho Libre style?...anyone...

Keyeszx
Jul 10, 2006, 08:45 PM
they should make a PSU game for both cuz i dont have a ds but i know it rocks but i do have a psp and it rocks like for the ds u can draw where u want to walk and the psp could be like a PvP with more strategy added in and not a stupid turn based game and like have a lot of minigames in both

Sinue_v2
Jul 11, 2006, 02:13 AM
I don't think it's possible to do PSU for a handheld... either of them. The hardware available for both is just too underpowered. PSO may translate well to the PSP, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who winces in pain everytime a new version is brought out. Let it die already...

As for a portable PS game, I'd like to see them finish off the Sega Ages PS remakes and stick those on a handheld if nothing else. The DS and PSP could easily handle them (though the the text on the screen and finer details would be a bit hard to make out without some tweaking - an advantage the DS has with the second screen dedicated to displaying text and menu items)

As for the Sega Nomad... I can't say it did anything really revolutionary. It was just a portable console, and unfortunately far too early for it's time. Besides horrid battery life, the LCD screen was plauged with excessive ghosting. Not to mention that while the ability to play the Genesis's entire library was a awesome - the cartridges were far too big to be "portable" (and stuck way too far out of the unit - causing small bumps to potentially freeze the game).

I love my Nomad, but it would never leave my house without a TV and an AC outlet to plug it into.

Foxix
Jul 11, 2006, 02:17 AM
people like to say sega made bad business decisions and thats why they're now working for their former enemies... I like to think they were just WAY to far ahead in technical inovations...online dreamcast anyone...VMU?

but yeah a re-done PS series would be great! I really dig into it when people get into the history of PS even though I have no idea what they are talking about!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Foxix on 2006-07-11 00:18 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Jul 11, 2006, 02:47 AM
Actually, the Saturn was online first. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Yeah, Sega was always well ahead of the curve... but innovation and risk mean nothing if you can't get them to work for you. Now Sega is no longer in a position where they can innovate with their consoles...

Shivore
Jul 11, 2006, 05:38 AM
I think the reason SEGA failed is the same reason I fear for the XBOX 360. They kept releasing their consoles too early. With both the Saturn and Dreamcast they released a console years after other companies. Therefore they have something to blow the competition out of the water with it's technical capabilities. But only temporarily, as other consoles are just around the corner. While it was PS1, N64, and Dreamcast, the Dreamcast sold like crazy, but once the PS2 and later GC and XBOX hit, it was bye bye SEGA. I think that was just a repeat of what happened to the Saturn (don't know, too lazy to research right now.)

Sinue_v2
Jul 11, 2006, 08:47 AM
The Saturn had a lot of problems; Difficult to program for, High Price Point, Low Quality Launch titles, and a poor launch window (It was on the shelves a few days after it was revealed at E3).

Hardware wise, the Saturn was actually quite powerful - and it terms of raw power it could hold it's own against (or exceed) the N64 and PS1 in many areas - but it's obtuse hardware kept developers from fully realising the potential of the system until it was far too late.

Nisshoku
Jul 11, 2006, 08:51 AM
I'd personally rather see Phantasy Star IV make it to a portable console.

Well, besides the Sega Nomad.