PDA

View Full Version : 599 US Dollars, 599 US Dollars...

PJ
Jul 11, 2006, 12:00 PM
I know, it's old, chances are you've all seen the PS3 Conference in a Minute (http://youtube.com/watch?v=pJElsNaC6yQ&search=PS3%20Conference%20in%201%20minute) thing. But that's not my point. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I'll make this short. $600 is too much for anyone to have to pay for a console.

I know, old news, but this was only brought up in the PSU forum. And I'll just quote what I said in the PSU forum just a few minutes ago

On 2006-07-11 09:47, PJ wrote:
I think it's hilarious when people give specs for video game consoles. "7 operational SPEs with access to 256MB of XDR RAM" You know what that says to me? "Wow, this thing is gonna cost me $600+" You play video games to play video games, not to be a computer. I don't care what it's doing. It looks nicer, it may go a bit faster, but not at a $600 price tag.

This isn't even about me complaining that I lack a form of income to afford it or anything. $600 is just too much money.

Link00seven
Jul 11, 2006, 12:57 PM
I agree. I don't like how they did the low-end model either. You're still paying $500 and you can't even upgrade it to the extent of the $600 model, plus you're losing the HDMI port, which means no 1080p (a feature Sony has been really bragging about.)

Sony is thinking that they can do whatever they want and sell systems, because of the blind fanboys. That won't last too long unless you've got the games and accessories to back it up.

I'll stick to the 360 and Wii until the PS3 drops in price.

Jehosaphaty
Jul 11, 2006, 03:52 PM
Needless to say, I was pretty excited when I heard rumors of Assasins Creed not being ps3 exclusive.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 11, 2006, 03:55 PM
I don't know how they'll sustain it either, as not everyone is a tech head.

You see random people speak up about using RF on a 13"er all the time.

So $500 "stripped down" surely means, buy the $600 or you're not cool like your friends.

And the $500 still makes more sense than $600. I'm glad they offer a choice, but why not optional Blu-Ray?

I see maybe 5 HD-DVD titles in stores but thousands of DVD's. Not everyone is going to upgrade by the time 2006 ends and 2007 rolls around, especially if it looks like Beta/VHS version '06.

DikkyRay
Jul 11, 2006, 04:31 PM
thats why im sticking with wii! $150 and all my favorite chars! PLus SSB:Brawl!!!!!!!!!
i grew up with Nintendo so meh, i nvr had an xbox, and have had a ps2 for like 4 years. I was raised on nintendo, snes, n64, then gcn. so yea, im sticking to it

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 12, 2006, 01:17 AM
There has never been a successful game console released in the price range of $500 to $600 (and up) that has survived (case in point: Atari Jaguar, Neo Geo, Panasonic 3D0). Chances are, it won't take long for the price to drop, but I don't think it'll matter. Developers will see the initial sales (after all, it takes blind fans or spoiled rich kids to pay that much for a game console), consider what a pain in the ass it is to develop for, and conclude that they'd be far better off to develop for the Xbox360, instead, because of shorter time spent on programming and a larger market. Between the popularity of the original PlayStation and the quality of their marketting department, Sony was able to ride the mistakes they made with the PS2, but with Microsoft's interference in the market with the Xbox, I don't think they're going to make it, this time.

Forget the PS3. It's already got one foot in the grave, and is due to be still-born.

PJ
Jul 12, 2006, 08:10 AM
Wasn't the PS2 in the same price range though when it first came out? (This isn't actually a statement, I actually can't remember what price it came out as)

And that thing is STILL alive.

And yeah, the Sony label I think will guarantee it to live, unfortunately.

Neith
Jul 12, 2006, 08:54 AM
PS3 is way, way overpriced, and it theoritically should affect it's sales. I've seen some nice titles on it, but the price is far more than I'm willing to pay just for another console.

Since it's a Sony though, it has a MASSIVE fanbase already, which might guarantee it's success.

Nintendo's got my money, unless they announce to be $600 as well http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Viva la Revolution! Sorry, Wii. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 12, 2006, 10:09 AM
On 2006-07-12 06:10, PJ wrote:
Wasn't the PS2 in the same price range though when it first came out? (This isn't actually a statement, I actually can't remember what price it came out as)

And that thing is STILL alive.

And yeah, the Sony label I think will guarantee it to live, unfortunately.

$300. Dreamcast debuted a year earlier at $200.

I remember as it cost my brother $350+ to buy it with MGS2 during that game's release.

-memoru-
Jul 12, 2006, 10:53 AM
Lol, there is a discussion about this in the PSU section as well. I personally think the PS3 is expensive. That's why i'm getting a wii~

yay! i'mma have a wii! >w<

Stan
Jul 12, 2006, 11:02 AM
The ps2 was f1000,- (gulden/guilder) at the start. which is about €455 and $580....

Ps3 prices will be "the same" here, but then with a € instead of a $.. we always get to pay more <_<
bleh, to put it all in one word (or three), it's just ridiculous.

rena-ko
Jul 12, 2006, 12:38 PM
yepp, ps2 was 480 euro at first, but most stores reduced the price to 400 euro on releaseday.

and really, concerning the price for a decent BD-media player that also works as pretty relyable ps1 and ps2-emulator... its a decent price. if its too much, wait a few months until actually interesting games get released for it *shrugs*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2006-07-12 10:38 ]</font>